Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

105.1 Open Tempo FM (formerly 104.1)

• 23-06-2012 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else come across this radio station? Said I'd finally start a thread about it as an alternative to the thread on Beat. I came across it in the car one day, very random genres of music on it, no DJ's and *almost* all the songs are genuine classics of their day/genre. First day I listened they played Creedence, KoRn, Elton John and Outkast back to back! Today they played Marilyn Manson, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and then some Country song! Very strange! The reason I'm bringing it up is... today I heard a jingle and it mentioned something about being a Waterford station?!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Well worth a listen if you like your alternative music though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I've seen some of my friends mention it on Facebook. Seems like it's a Waterford station alright:

https://www.facebook.com/open.fmwaterford

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Hey guys, it's a Waterford based radio station that is on air from Friday 6pm till midnight Sunday.
    Great Rock, Alternative, blues the works. The diffrent presenters really put thier stamp on the program. Kurt Jackson is the founder and presenter, check out the link to listen to the live stream....wwwopentempo.caster.fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Hey guys, it's a Waterford based radio station that is on air from Friday 6pm till midnight Sunday.
    Great Rock, Alternative, blues the works. The diffrent presenters really put thier stamp on the program. Kurt Jackson is the founder and presenter, check out the link to listen to the live stream....wwwopentempo.caster.fm

I didn't realise there was presenters, do they speak on air? I've never heard one?! Some great music to be fair to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭decies

Is tonight Russian Music night ? Mike65 is not going to like this !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I thought I had long wave on!

Usually good music though, esp on a Sat when every other station has sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

decies wrote: »
    Is tonight Russian Music night ? Mike65 is not going to like this !!!

Polish show every Saturday night.. pretty decent idea too considering there are a lot of Polish people here, they are now catered for too :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Cracking station if I do say so myself, great diversity of shows and presenters, Mr Nobody and Luke Creed being two of my favourites....great mix of house, electro and techno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have nothing against Russian music - Tchaikovsky was a genius!

Grooving with Bob Marley right now.

So what's the story? Pirate or community licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Its a pirate station i havent heard it myself but i heard its good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

• Advertisement

Wonder is alinton trying to triangulate this? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

mike65 wrote: »
    Wonder is alinton trying to triangulate this? ;)

I was wondering when he'd join the conversation alright...

Well after a couple of hours with this I can say I approve, sure its a mixed bag but that's clearly the station policy and as such to be applauded - they could have done the obvious but they seem to be music fans! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I like the music, very little waffle which is always good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Is that the station with a Waterford Whisper News section?
    If it is, it's been on for a good few weeks. Great station!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Prefer Zenith Classic Rock myself but nonetheless, nice to have something different on the airwaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I was wondering when he'd join the conversation alright...

Nope, each to his own, I'm not a law-keeper!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Saved streams for those who went off the grid for the weekend myself included:
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mr-nobody-opentempo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OpenTempoFM

hows things, cheers for the positive vibes, we do what we can..
    should see a change up in the next few weeks :)

cant post any links.. dont want to be banned again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimmyjava77

Best radio station around. Kicks the crap out of the rest of them.

• Advertisement

Has the frequency changed? I've changed car recently and can't seem to tune it in anymore. :o

Its only at weekends I thought.

Yeah, but even then I can't seem to tune it in. Very annoying, I liked listening to it on a Saturday afternoon, but in my newer car the dial just skims from Today FM to Newstalk without stopping on 104. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

last weekend was a once off, tune in this Friday at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

If anyone here has a DAB radio you should check out all 80s, broadcast in Dublin and Waterford, good stuff so far with not that many tracks on high rotation it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Yeah, but even then I can't seem to tune it in. Very annoying, I liked listening to it on a Saturday afternoon, but in my newer car the dial just skims from Today FM to Newstalk without stopping on 104. :confused:

Disable the RDS Traffic announcements Mode on your car radio if that is accidentally on (this could be the issue)
    . The button might be marked TP, TA or Traffic depending on the radio, and press it so the corresponding symbol disappears from the display, and try again ???

Or maybe signal is just under the scan threshold and you have to manually tune it in (or drive to where signal is stronger) ? On some radios selecting manual tuning can be difficult. What car radio manufacturer is it?

(basic tuning functions of modern car radios is often bewildering to 'ordinary people', why they are so 'user-unfriendly' is another debate)

Fantastic music this morning - DSoTM in full, Stone Roses, now loads of Talking Heads back to back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

In this day and age, once you have unlimited data, the choice on your smartphone is limitless really. There are also thousands of stations available on iTunes.

For me, Zenith is way ahead of Open Tempo. Open Tempo are playing explicit adult versions of tracks during daytime hours. Not good - especially with kids tuning in..

I'm not sure many children (as opposed to teens) will be listening to OpenFM - not unless they have a particularly well developed sense of taste.

Anyway Zenith play Who Are You complete with "fvck" I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm not sure many children (as opposed to teens) will be listening to OpenFM - not unless they have a particularly well developed sense of taste.

Anyway Zenith play Who Are You complete with "fvck" I imagine.

Still not right though.

Advertisement