Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

sydthebeat wrote: »

NEWSFLASH

"broadcaster voices opinions, which change over time....."

*shock horror*

call out the national guard!!!!!!

Could you maybe make your print a bit bolder so you get the true attention you deserve ? No problem with Ray changing his opinion but, at the very least he should have the candour and dignity to admit he was wrong in the first instance!!

Thanks very much for your sarcasm though, I would imagine there is enough in your post to fill my quota for a month.

:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

NEWSFLASH

"broadcaster voices opinions, which change over time....."

*shock horror*

call out the national guard!!!!!!

If lil Ray had fulfilled his promise to leave the Country on the election of Enda Kenny as Taoiseach perhaps your National Guard reference may have been apt, as it is its irrelevant, misplaced and foolish.... a Ray fan its clear to see! :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,280 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

of course theres less % of listeners within dublin compared to the national average... thats the case for every national station.

thats because there is a larger market for the same demand...
    98FM 14.0
    FM104 21.6
    Q102 10.0
    Sunshine
    106.8 0.8
    Spin 1038 17.1
    Phantom 105.2

all take a slice from the demand.

If you were to take these out of the equation and divide their percentage up between the top 5 stations, today fm would have a 22% co dublin listernership as compared to the 15.7% national average.

my friend wrote: »
    If lil Ray had fulfilled his promise to leave the Country on the election of Enda Kenny as Taoiseach perhaps your National Guard reference may have been apt, as it is its irrelevant, misplaced and foolish.... a Ray fan its clear to see! :pac:

actually if you read my posts within this thread youll see that i criticise when i think its warranted... but ill also offer an alternative opinion when i think some posters are being over critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

of course theres less % of listeners within dublin compared to the national average... thats the case for every national station.

98FM 14.0
    FM104 21.6
    Q102 10.0
    Sunshine
    106.8 0.8
    Spin 1038 17.1
    Phantom 105.2

If you were to take these out of the equation and divide their percentage up between the top 5 stations, today fm would have a 22% co dublin listernership as compared to the 15.7% national average.

What? You can't just take those out of the equation. Those figures were given to give credence to the assertion that Ray doesn't have "...much of a following in Dublin..." which seems about right when you look at those figures. Every station seems more popular.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What? You can't just take those out of the equation. Those figures were given to give credence to the assertion that Ray doesn't have "...much of a following in Dublin..." which seems about right when you look at those figures. Every station seems more popular.

of course i can, its as valid as equating Ray Darcys listerership figures to that of the whole of today fm, which you are doing.

of course i can, its as valid as equating Ray Darcys listerership figures to that of the whole of today fm, which you are doing.
    You can do what ever you want tiger. But everybody knows that generally once a radio is on a particular station, it's left on that station for the day. 95% of the people polled know that to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

98FM 14.0
    FM104 21.6
    Q102 10.0
    Sunshine
    106.8 0.8
    Spin 1038 17.1
    Phantom 105.2

My earlier post was said with tongue (slightly) in cheek. Also, a lot of his listeners in Dublin would be country folk living in the big schmoke.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Bad Panda wrote: »
    This is not meant as an attack on any posters...

...but seriously, I really believe there's something missing in your lives if even some of your time and most of your morning is spent listening to a radio show you hate and a presenter you hate even more and then coming onto boards to slag it/him off.

I can't stand him myself, but I never, ever listen to that awful show. Why on earth would I!?

They wont turn it off in work, I think it could be classed as cruel and unusual punishment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭argentum

I actually like the ray darcy show,like all of us he has his faults but most time I leave the station on to listen to it except for when Anton comes on like this morning.Forgot darcy was getting his nose fixed and after 30secs off goes today fm to another station.I cant listen to anton because i dont know whether his other company has had any secret imput or training with any of the guests or items involved.Its also the reason I wont listen to his sunday show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

A ten minute sequence today, for me, summed up what can be really good about the show followed quickly by what can be just as unbelievably annoying about it too.

Started out with a girl giving away her recently deceased brothers car which had been specially fitted for a wheelchair user. It was a really lovely piece and the girl who recieved the car sounded lovely and genuinely delighted at the other persons generosity. Also, to be fair, i think the whole thing was handled really nicely by Ray.

Then he played a song in tribute to the girls brother, another nice touch.

He then went and ruined it all with the 'crying my eyes out here' texts, rounded off by the '20stone macho bodybuilder blokey bloke' crying his eyes out too.

I have asked before and i'll ask again, what is this mans obsession with people crying listening to his show?!?:mad::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

I really hope at this stage that those texts are someone having a p1ss take, I'm so sick of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

fifi234ie wrote: »
    I really hope at this stage that those texts are someone having a p1ss take, I'm so sick of them.

Probably all sent by Micheal Weston from this thread :pac:

Probably all sent by Micheal Weston from this thread :pac:

Bit harsh Homer and I am not alone in my hatred and the thread pre dates me by a long way. :p

Bit harsh Homer and I am not alone in my hatred and the thread pre dates me by a long way. :p

Ya see that one word there is my main gripe with this thread. I'm far from a D'Arcy fan he is tolerable 80% of the time though and better than anything else on at that time. But how / why do people have a hatred for the man, I cannot fathom that at all :confused:

Have you ever met the man and had a long personal conversation to come to the conclusion that you hate him? He is a man presenting a radio show called the Ray D'Arcy show, of course its going to be somewhat about him when it's called after him.

I just don't get how anyone can have a hatred for someone who presents a radio show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A ten minute sequence today, for me, summed up what can be really good about the show followed quickly by what can be just as unbelievably annoying about it too.

Started out with a girl giving away her recently deceased brothers car which had been specially fitted for a wheelchair user. It was a really lovely piece and the girl who recieved the car sounded lovely and genuinely delighted at the other persons generosity. Also, to be fair, i think the whole thing was handled really nicely by Ray.

Then he played a song in tribute to the girls brother, another nice touch.

He then went and ruined it all with the 'crying my eyes out here' texts, rounded off by the '20stone macho bodybuilder blokey bloke' crying his eyes out too.

I have asked before and i'll ask again, what is this mans obsession with people crying listening to his show?!?:mad::confused:

Couldn't agree more. From the way D'Arcy goes on about it, you'd get the impression that every truck is driven by a huge man, and all of them have pulled over at the same time to have a cry for themselves... :mad:

Ya see that one word there is my main gripe with this thread. I'm far from a D'Arcy fan he is tolerable 80% of the time though and better than anything else on at that time. But how / why do people have a hatred for the man, I cannot fathom that at all :confused:

Have you ever met the man and had a long personal conversation to come to the conclusion that you hate him? He is a man presenting a radio show called the Ray D'Arcy show, of course its going to be somewhat about him when it's called after him.

I just don't get how anyone can have a hatred for someone who presents a radio show?

Well far be it be for me to incite your hatred, however I cant help how I feel about him, the man does my head in with all his crying texts and self indulgence. If he at least gave a proper cross section of the public opinions on the texts that might help !! Can you imagine "Sitting here banging my head off the desk at your incompetence thats the third time today we heard stop stop eject eject, play some more Paulo Nutini there Ray its not quite scorched into my soul yet". But no we have to listen to the seven foot body building trucker bawling his eyes out on a roadside. That trucker needs to lay off the steroids its playing havoc with his emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Has he started playing "July" by Mundy on a daily basis yet this summer?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

el diablo wrote: »

Not yet! Probably no time between all the "quick commercial breaks" every 3-5 minutes.

el diablo wrote: »

He'll play that the 1st of July then act as if he wrote it, its like at Christmas time with his ten and twelve Bauble songs , FFS .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

dulpit wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. From the way D'Arcy goes on about it, you'd get the impression that every truck is driven by a huge man, and all of them have pulled over at the same time to have a cry for themselves... :mad:

I'd say people are just taking the piss now with these texts, the trouble is Ray doesnt realise it.

Because every text that comes into the show is 100% genuine.......isnt it Ray? :rolleyes:

shockwave wrote: »
    I'd say people are just taking the piss now with these texts, the trouble is Ray doesnt realise it.

Because every text that comes into the show is 100% genuine.......isnt it Ray? :rolleyes:

But again why is this Ray's fault :confused: You do know that the texts are all pre selected and he is handed a sheet with the pre selected texts on them he just reads them out. He doesn't go through the texts himself and picks out the one's he wants to read...

Another case of "that must be Ray's fault" that seems to go in this thread. Much like the person saying he takes a quick break too often. Yeah Ray should just tell the station managers to feck off he isn't playing any more ad breaks :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Another case of "that must be Ray's fault" that seems to go in this thread. Much like the person saying he takes a quick break too often. Yeah Ray should just tell the station managers to feck off he isn't playing any more ad breaks :rolleyes:

People will always use frequent ad breaks to take a pop at a presenter. When the amount of ads started to increase on the station, a load of people flocked to the Foley show thread to basically say it was his fault. :rolleyes:

Let'em at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

But again why is this Ray's fault :confused: You do know that the texts are all pre selected and he is handed a sheet with the pre selected texts on them he just reads them out. He doesn't go through the texts himself and picks out the one's he wants to read...

It's the fact he calls it a "quick commercial break" when at ten to the hour, he'll go to a break that lasts 3-4 minutes, play a bit of a song when he comes back and then got to the break before the news at 2 minutes to the hour. Then in between the news and sport or weather there's another ad! And then it's ten past the hour before the show is actually back on.

I understand it's a commercial station and wouldn't survive without advertising revenue but he has often interrupted interviews to take a break that IMO could have been delayed a few minutes to let the interview draw to its natural conclusion.

Well far be it be for me to incite your hatred, however I cant help how I feel about him, the man does my head in with all his crying texts and self indulgence. If he at least gave a proper cross section of the public opinions on the texts that might help !! Can you imagine "Sitting here banging my head off the desk at your incompetence thats the third time today we heard stop stop eject eject, play some more Paulo Nutini there Ray its not quite scorched into my soul yet". But no we have to listen to the seven foot body building trucker bawling his eyes out on a roadside. That trucker needs to lay off the steroids its playing havoc with his emotions.
    In fairness though, he has often taken the p1ss out of himself for playing Paulo Nutini, and the rest of the gang are always slagging him over things like that. The "I played a bit of rugby myself" is a perfect example.

But in the interest of balance....Ray played another interview blinder the other day. :rolleyes:

He had a woman on from a Seal sanctuary that was talking about the sick story of the seals that were beheaded and had their heads nailed to the entrance of a children’s visitor attraction. He decided to ask her, "How would they actually go about beheading the seals? Like really, how would they physically do it?" :rolleyes:

When he asked asked her we all just shouted at the radio....WHY WOULD YOU ASK HER THAT!!!?

I think the woman was in shock that he actually asked her that. She just said, "I don't want to think about it"

In fairness though, he has often taken the p1ss out of himself for playing Paulo Nutini, and the rest of the gang are always slagging him over things like that. The "I played a bit of rugby myself" is a perfect example.

But in the interest of balance....Ray played another interview blinder the other day. :rolleyes:

He had a woman on from a Seal sanctuary that was talking about the sick story of the seals that were beheaded and had their heads nailed to the entrance of a children’s visitor attraction. He decided to ask her, "How would they actually go about beheading the seals? Like really, how would they physically do it?" :rolleyes:

When he asked asked her we all just shouted at the radio....WHY WOULD YOU ASK HER THAT!!!?

I think the woman was in shock that he actually asked her that. She just said, "I don't want to think about it"

Yeah heard that too, little off topic here but what a disgusting story. What sort of mentality would a person have to be able to commit an act like that. Glad he highlighted it and hope somebody is held accountable for it.

Yeah heard that too, little off topic here but what a disgusting story. What sort of mentality would a person have to be able to commit an act like that. Glad he highlighted it and hope somebody is held accountable for it.

Sickening story and was surprised that they showed the pictures on the news on RTE. You can tell a story without having to get all ghoulish by showing the pictures.

Sickening story and was surprised that they showed the pictures on the news on RTE. You can tell a story without having to get all ghoulish by showing the pictures.

yeah, like the way they keep showing Mick Wallace. There is no need for those images:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Any news on Jenny, Ray wasnt in today, is he a daddy for the second time yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Hope there is good news, Anton will be standing in while he takes male maternity leave.
    Good lighthearted fun show today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement