Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Just Finished The Way of the Kings by Brandon Sanderson, really enjoyed it. Think I'm gonna reread something next, don't wanna start something new, get hooked and fail the exams I've got starting on Monday...altho TBH I'll probably get hooked with a repeat read too...damn books are too good :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Playboy wrote: »
    Just finished the Mistborn trilogy .. 3rd book was better than the second but not sure I liked how it ended. Going to give The Alloy of Law a miss for a while and jump into the Way of Kings .. Only read the prologue but really intrigued already!
    Finished it a few weeks ago myself. Was alright, but the end was a bit of a cop out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

reading this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Key_(novel)

absolutely brilliant epic book, the characters are so lifelike I got upset on their behalf where appropriate, the attention to detail is stunning without being belaboured
    highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished it yesterday, really enjoyed it but they are not easy reading!
    Need a break from fantasy so trying The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. Not far in yet so haven't made up my mind, but it has good potential.

Enjoyed The Atrocity Archives, not sure what genre it should be classified as though...
    Started Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein for 2nd or 3rd time. The 50/60s America that its set in (even if its set in the future, its just that old "perfect" America with flying cars) really gets on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It was good but the format read almost like a set of short stories rather than a novel. The ending reminded me of everything I hate about series as well. I'm sure you could enjoy it as a standalone (and I did) but its really setup to drag you into the rest of the series.

Also started Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. I finished the first law trilogy not too long ago and loved it and everything is pointing to more of the same. Abercrombie has created some of favorite characters of any recent books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

shaneor wrote: »
    Finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It was good but the format read almost like a set of short stories rather than a novel. The ending reminded me of everything I hate about series as well. I'm sure you could enjoy it as a standalone (and I did) but its really setup to drag you into the rest of the series.

The scholar's story was absolutely heart-breaking. I loved this book. Currently in the works to be botched by Hollywood apparently.

I'm reading A Dance With Dragons - George R. R. Martin. Late to the party, but I love Martin's writing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Also started Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. I finished the first law trilogy not too long ago and loved it and everything is pointing to more of the same. Abercrombie has created some of favorite characters of any recent books.

You dont need to be dragged, those books are masterworks of science fiction and modern day classics.
    Im doing my yearly re-read of these books at the minute.

You dont need to be dragged, those books are masterworks of science fiction and modern day classics.
    Im doing my yearly re-read of these books at the minute.

Damn I was hoping someone would tell me there was no need to read them ;). The last thing I need at the moment is another series to get into.
    I've heard some comments that book 2 is the main one that you have to read and the rest can be skipped? I take it you don't agree?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    The scholar's story was absolutely heart-breaking. I loved this book.

Some of the stories were brilliant alright. The scholars and the soldiers were probably my favorite. It's a very interesting way to write a novel, every story has a very different feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Damn I was hoping someone would tell me there was no need to read them ;). The last thing I need at the moment is another series to get into.
    I've heard some comments that book 2 is the main one that you have to read and the rest can be skipped? I take it you don't agree?

The hyperion story is over at the end of book two and you can stop there but Endymion and the rise of are two of my favorite books of all time. Also they kind of tie up the story of two of the pilgrims and the techno core too. You will hardly notice reading them though they are so well paced and exciting, that you will soon be finished and wishing you weren't before long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Started "Dragonfly Falling" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the second book in his Shadow of the Apt dekalogy. 5% in and catching up with characters / situations from previous novels as well as introducing some new ones. Hoping it has the same pacing and general energy as the first one did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Read 1st 2 books in Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin series last week. (unfortunately have to wait for him to write next 3 books in the quintet)

http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/

They were good, some very likable characters, much preferred these books to his long price quartet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finally got around to reading and finishing the heroes, Gorst and Caulder are cracking characters. Listened to that on audio(audible.com is pretty good) and going through the way of kings on kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Yeah, I've also just started The Way of Kings myself. Got Dune on the go too. Am also going to try some Doctor Who too(I know, but I've been re-watching the last series and have the urge).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

i had just re-read Dune and had originally planned to go on to read all of Frank Herbert's own books in the series, but I'm going to break them up with Kay's Tigana. Hope it's not as maudlin as Fionovar Tapestry...

Heh, doctor who's cool! Finished The Clockwise Man over the weekend, halfway through Monsters Inside now. Neglecting Dune terribly though.

Gotta love Doctor Who though.

Finished Stranger in a Strange Land, it was a real struggle, I can see why it's a classic but really showing its age.
    Finally allowing myself to read A Dance with Dragons, starting off well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    i had just re-read Dune and had originally planned to go on to read all of Frank Herbert's own books in the series, but I'm going to break them up with Kay's Tigana. Hope it's not as maudlin as Fionovar Tapestry...

JIMHO Only Dune Messiah is worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 808SOS

just started reading robin hobb's latest trilogy -the rain wild chronicles-

anyone started them/

Just started "Wool 1" - interesting premise so far. Doubt it'll take too long to read this one. I've bought the omnibus edition so four more after that if I like it.

• Advertisement

Just finished Best Served Cold and enjoyed it as expected. Its a good entertaining story and I just love the characters Abercrombie creates. Will definitely pick up his remaining books soon.

I was convinced by people here to follow on from Hyperion with The Fall of Hyperion so I'm hoping for some more explanations and something resembling a wrap up this time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    If you enjoy "The City and The City", jump straight into "Perdido Street Station" it is unbelievable. One of the best books ive ever read.

half way through Perdido Street Station, and you're right, its excellent. Thanks

Reading "Railsea" by China Miéville. Only 5% in and already it's beautifully weird with some great turns of phrase.

Jumped into two new books recently:

"Shadow of the Scorpion" by Neal Asher, a prequel novel to his excellent Agent Cormac series. I'm about 20% in so far and enjoying returning to the ECS world and some high-tech action. Bonus points for throwing in the Prador

Also reading "Shadows Linger" by Glen Book, part of his Black Company series. Very early into this but I like the grim flavour to it that was a precursor to other authors like Erikson and Abercrombie.

Been reading a couple of anthologies lately. One an Urban Fantasy anthology, the other isn't strictly speaking either fantasy or sci-fi but they've both been pretty good. Short stories are a welcome change at times to the great tomes that tend to be modern fantasy novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

808SOS wrote: »
    just started reading robin hobb's latest trilogy -the rain wild chronicles-

anyone started them/

Yea, enjoying the series. Not as good as The Liveship Traders or Tawny Man trilogies so far. She's just brought out the 3rd and there's going to be a 4th. Some people complaining the 3rd is too short.

ixoy wrote: »
    Just started "Wool 1" - interesting premise so far. Doubt it'll take too long to read this one. I've bought the omnibus edition so four more after that if I like it.

Did you read the whole omnibus? Interested to see what you thought, I stopped after the second one.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Did you read the whole omnibus? Interested to see what you thought, I stopped after the second one.
    Not yet - read "Wool 1" [very good] and "Wool 2" [enjoyable, but a lot slower]. It'll be a while before I read more because I like to space series out. I do intend to read it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Struggling to get interested in "Kraken" and after not finishing "The City and The City", it's not looking good for me and MEiville. Still have Peridido Street Station to read so hopefully that ignites a passion.
    In a book lull at the moment and it sucks. Anyone care to recommend a non fantasy book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Struggling to get interested in "Kraken" and after not finishing "The City and The City", it's not looking good for me and MEiville. Still have Peridido Street Station to read so hopefully that ignites a passion.
    In a book lull at the moment and it sucks. Anyone care to recommend a non fantasy book

She-Wolves by Helen Castor is great. It deals with several influential queens of medieval England like Matilda, Eleanor of Aquitaine and Margaret of Anjou. You can see a lot of where George RR Martin got inspiration for Catelyn Stark and Cersei Lannister (no brother/sister incest in this book though!)

Advertisement