Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

instant coffee?

Options
  • 02-06-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

hi there,i usually drink nescafe gold blend and carte noire coffee but i want to try something else,can i have some recommendations as to which one i should get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If you have to drink instant, Millicano is probably one of the best.

I used to drink instant coffee but I don't enjoy it as much anymore. I mostly drink freshly ground coffee and the difference in taste is unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

My current favourites are Nescafe Azera and Carte Noire Instinct Wholebean instant. At a pinch the Instinct tastes cleaner & fresher IMHO. Instinct two spoons / mug, Azera 1 spoon / mug

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Pick up a french press and some coffee. Much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you have to use instant, go with either the Kenco Millicano or the Carte Noire Instinct Wholebean instant, with the latter being a tad better imho and definitely having more of a wakeup kick to it.

i usually make my own, but use the Carte Noire Instinct in a pinch if i'm pushed for time, but i'm thinking of getting an aeropress as a better quick alternative to instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you have to use instant, go with either the Kenco Millicano or the Carte Noire Instinct Wholebean instant, with the latter being a tad better imho and definitely having more of a wakeup kick to it.

i usually make my own, but use the Carte Noire Instinct in a pinch if i'm pushed for time, but i'm thinking of getting an aeropress as a better quick alternative to instant.

is it easy to make your own coffee rather than use instant?

i always assumed it was difficult and messy

• Advertisement

lauraww wrote: »

the aeropress is a nice (imho) compromise between the two. http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

lauraww wrote: »

A coffee press is handy. Just in goes the ground coffee (you can ground down yourself from whole beans with the right tools if you wanna go further with it), in goes the hot water (below boiling point) plunge down and ready to roll.

I use a Delonghi EC152 espresso machine, about €100 in most places, makes decent espresso and has frother so make very nice cappuccinos. Dont have a lot of space in my pad so suits me. Others here would pay a lot more for one, but I dont have the money or space.

I buy ground coffee as dont have effort or money to get grinder. Could get a cheap one but the more expensive ones seems to be much better at it so happy enough with the ground coffee till i can afford a decent grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

lizt wrote: »
    I mostly drink freshly ground coffee and the difference in taste is unreal.

It's absolutely shocking how many people drink instant and are not only content, but don't consider that there is something beyond it.

you could say that about anything really though, look at the amount of people who are content drinking crappy wine or beer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It's absolutely shocking how many people drink instant and are not only content, but don't consider that there is something beyond it.

I see them as being two completely different hot beverages - there is instantcoffee and realcoffee. Which one I drink depends on my mood but the instantcoffee of preference is Douwe Egberts Contential Dark. Haven't tried Millicano and I find Carte Noire lacks kick.

I find the snobbery towards instantcoffee quite amusing - do people also feel the same about tea bags vs leaves? I have friends who sneer with derision when offered instantcoffee but will happily drink the most awful plonk de plonk or what ever beer is 36 cans for 2 euro fiddy from Aldi.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I see them as being two completely different hot beverages - there is instantcoffee and realcoffee. Which one I drink depends on my mood but the instantcoffee of preference is Douwe Egberts Contential Dark. Haven't tried Millicano and I find Carte Noire lacks kick.
    I don't...I just see instant as something that as developed because people couldn't have been arsed making proper coffee, and the quality has been replaced with speed.
    The same way that junk food has conquered so many because people can't be arsed with the effort of healthy and quality eating.
    I find the snobbery towards instantcoffee quite amusing - do people also feel the same about tea bags vs leaves? I have friends who sneer with derision when offered instantcoffee but will happily drink the most awful plonk de plonk or what ever beer is 36 cans for 2 euro fiddy from Aldi.
    The snobbery is amusing but like I said, it is an ignorance of what else is out there. I think if more people were exposed to real coffee then we would see instant disappear off the shelves.

I don't...I just see instant as something that as developed because people couldn't have been arsed making proper coffee, and the quality has been replaced with speed.
    The same way that junk food has conquered so many because people can't be arsed with the effort of healthy and quality eating.

The snobbery is amusing but like I said, it is an ignorance of what else is out there. I think if more people were exposed to real coffee then we would see instant disappear off the shelves.

I doubt that. There are many people who find realcoffee too harsh on their stomachs but who can drink instantcoffee. Or just don't like realcoffee. It's simply a matter of taste. I can't stand lattes but I don't look down on them as being nothing more then coffee flavoured hot milk. I just don't like them so I don't drink them. I'll have a double espresso please.

Outside of major urban areas most of the realcoffee sold in cafes/hotels etc in Ireland is mank. Weak, scorched, bitter and either scalding or tepid so when I go on holiday I bring a jar of Douwe, no way am I hauling my espresso machine up and down the country but I must have a caffeine fix so instant it is.

I have never gotten a drinkable cup of realcoffee in Mayo but the absolute worst place I have so far found to get coffee is Castletownbere (and Boston).

I am amazed that people buy Starbucks - its awful!

I am old enough to remember when it was nearly impossible to get instantcoffee in Ireland. My great-Aunt arrived from the US with a big jar of Nescafe and it was a revelation. No more fiddling with the percolator on the stove waiting for the 'coffee' to magically appear in the glass bulb at the top of the pot and grabbing the coffee pot before it spluttered all over the place- instantcoffee -just add water!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I see them as being two completely different hot beverages - there is instantcoffee and realcoffee. Which one I drink depends on my mood

That's my POV exactly

Yeah that makes sense, each to their own and all that.
    I don't hold a snobbery toward people who drink it as a matter of taste, just in instances like I mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

vibe666 wrote: »
    you could say that about anything really though, look at the amount of people who are content drinking crappy wine or beer.

There's no such thing as a bad wine...only a better one ;)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a bad wine...only a better one ;)

OH was once given a bottle of wine for Xmas by a client - smelt like very ripe cheese (I refused to taste it) but she said it tasted like very very ripe cheese - it was a while before she could actually stop making faces long enough to speak after she had spit it out, she brushed her teeth, used mouthwash and drank a bottle of water - then declared that it was very bad wine.
    And no - it wasn't corked. Just Bad.

OH was once given a bottle of wine for Xmas by a client - smelt like very ripe cheese (I refused to taste it) but she said it tasted like very very ripe cheese - it was a while before she could actually stop making faces long enough to speak after she had spit it out, she brushed her teeth, used mouthwash and drank a bottle of water - then declared that it was very bad wine.

Can you remember what kind?

Can you remember what kind?

A reisling I think. Southern Hemisphere - not NZ either SA or Chile. It was spectacularly awful. :D

A reisling!?!?! And it smelled like ripe cheese?!?!
    Eugh...dude must have made it himself or something.

Anyway, isn't coffee spectacular.

Anyway, isn't coffee spectacular.

It so is.

Am going to Tangier in Sept - really looking forward to trying the coffee.

I lecture on European expansionism in the 16th century. I do enjoy watching students as they sit there looking all disproving and judgemental and then I tell them that if Europeans hadn't taken control of commodities all those centuries ago we wouldn't have coffee or chocolate or spuds but mainly coffee. You can see the conflicted feeling play across their faces.....many many people died - this is a bad thing. But it means We have coffee - this is a good thing. Argggggggggghhhh!!!!

Then I go for coffee. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

lol, yeah I remember getting a free bottle of wine with an Indian meal in Spain before - I should have kept it for cleaning the tiles :D I'm normally not fussy about wine - I can appreciate a good one but I'll drink any ol' plonk that's there - but this one was beyond even my brillo pad of a tongue :p

A reisling!?!?! And it smelled like ripe cheese?!?!
    Eugh...dude must have made it himself or something.
    maybe it was foot cheese? :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

smelt like very ripe cheese .... it wasn't corked.
    That's the classic smell of a very corked wine.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    That's the classic smell of a very corked wine.

or ripe Gorgonzola.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Cheese - wine - feet? And pray tell, the very tenuous connection with coffee is...?

mathepac wrote: »
    Cheese - wine - feet? And pray tell, the very tenuous connection with coffee is...?

Even Maxwell House is better then cheesy wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

can't see what the hype about Kenco Millicano is tbh...

CSU wrote: »
    can't see what the hype about Kenco Millicano is tbh...

I haven't tried it - I'm always wary of ads that say instantcoffee that tastes just like realcoffee. They never ever do. Anyone remember Red Mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Even Maxwell House is better then cheesy wine?

ah steady on now....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

instant is horrible

you need fresh beans, i have a tassimo machine, less mess but a tad expensive.

but the coffee is yum.

Advertisement