Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

instant coffee?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

you need fresh beans, i have a tassimo machine....
    So not fresh beans then? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

nothing wrong with tassimo pods, they are sealed and ground.

i assume you never tasted.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Doesn't matter if they're sealed, oxidization starts as soon as the beans are ground as you've released the carbon dioxide that protects the aromatics.

Pod/capsule machines are slightly better than instant, but are no substitute for freshly ground coffee.

I did. Not for me thanks. Stale and bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

nothing wrong with tassimo pods, they are sealed and ground.

They are slightly better than instant coffee but do you not think they taste quite stale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mathepac wrote: »
    Cheese - wine - feet? And pray tell, the very tenuous connection with coffee is...?
    thought maybe the guy had stomped the grapes himself in the bath with cheesy feet. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Was the fecker at least drinking a cup of Nescafe?

mathepac wrote: »
    Was the fecker at least drinking a cup of Nescafe?
    more likely maxwell house and telling himself it was as good as proper coffee.

i was only responding to another (albeit OT) post on the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acotone

Thought this was about instant coffee ? i.m.o kenco Columbian is the best

acotone wrote: »
    Thought this was about instant coffee ? i.m.o kenco Columbian is the best
    it is, but i compared it to wine, because some people will happily drink crap wine, just as some people will drink instant coffee, then someone said that there's no such thing as bad wine and someone else disagreed and said they had one that smelt of cheese, i said maybe it was foot cheese then someone who hadn't read the other posts wanted to know why we were talking about wine and then you started and here we are.

so yes, instant coffee is varying degrees of bad, but people will still happily drink it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

vibe666 wrote: »

so yes, instant coffee is varying degrees of bad, but people will still happily drink it all the same.

People will also drink so called 'freshly brewed bean to cup' muck. I got an absolutely awful cup of coffee in Mallow yesterday from one of those bells and whistles machine which advertises how fresh their coffee is. People were queuing up to buy it. I think the machine forgot to put any coffee in mine.:mad:

I should have remembered to make myself a cup of Douwe Egberts instant in my travel cup. Would have been far nicer then the Bewleys real I ended up paying for...

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    People will also drink so called 'freshly brewed bean to cup' muck. I got an absolutely awful cup of coffee in Mallow yesterday from one of those bells and whistles machine which advertises how fresh their coffee is....

It's not necessarily the machine. If it's set for too little coffee, too high water temp, or poor quality coffee in the first place then you're going to get awful coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

it is, but i compared it to wine, because some people will happily drink crap wine, just as some people will drink instant coffee, then someone said that there's no such thing as bad wine and someone else disagreed and said they had one that smelt of cheese, i said maybe it was foot cheese then someone who hadn't read the other posts wanted to know why we were talking about wine and then you started and here we are.

hahaha couldnt have put it better myself. I have to admit I created part of the confusion with the "no such thing as a bad wine" comment - what I should have said was, "there is such a thing as a bad wine but I'm such an out n' out dipso I couldnt care less, and will drink it anyway even if it's clearly a better tile cleaner than wine" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

Fresh ground is always best, but I use the M&S gold label instant. Its fairly mild stuff but I like it better than the Douwe Egberts. That now seems bitter to me, I think they've changed it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

ive decided to not drink instant coffee anymore,id rather drink tea to be honest,im going to start making my own fresh coffee every morning but i know i will have to invest.can someone tell me exactly what i need to get,whats the best machine,if machine is the right word :D and im assuming debenhams is the best place to shop for my coffee making needs?

lauraww wrote: »
    ive decided to not drink instant coffee anymore,id rather drink tea to be honest,im going to start making my own fresh coffee every morning but i know i will have to invest.can someone tell me exactly what i need to get,whats the best machine,if machine is the right word :D and im assuming debenhams is the best place to shop for my coffee making needs?

Spend money on a decent grinder. Get a french press/plunge pot in TK MAXX or wherever and a bag of good beans (3fe, Nicks, Badger & dodo etc) and you're off! If you want to do espressos, lattes and such then pick up a good machine (Gaggia Classic maybe) later on but, for now, assuming a limited budget, that'll get you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I really don't taste the buzz about Millicano at all - if I'm going to drink instant, it has to be Nescafe Espresso, which is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What a bout that new posh stuff from Carte Noir?
    Has anybody tried it yet?

similar to millicano (same kind of microground beans and instant mixed together), but seems to have more of a caffeine kick than the millicano.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Is that the stuff thats half price at the moment? I dont think its great. It's ok but for all the jizzles and jazzles on the outside you would be expecting great things ;)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Is that the stuff thats half price at the moment? I dont think its great. It's ok but for all the jizzles and jazzles on the outside you would be expecting great things ;)

Yeah that's kinda what I was expecting.

Thanks for your reply too Vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Nescafe Espresso instant coffee. You don't have to make espresso make a mug as usual. It's the only instant I like

i was thinking about it the other day and i see instant coffee in the same way as i see mi wadi or ribena.

no, they don't taste anything even remotely like the real thing, but plenty of people still drink them and they taste fine if you take them at face value and don't expect them to be identical to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

i was thinking about it the other day and i see instant coffee in the same way as i see mi wadi or ribena.

no, they don't taste anything even remotely like the real thing, but plenty of people still drink them and they taste fine if you take them at face value and don't expect them to be identical to the real thing.

wise words

Haha, except the cordial will re-hydrate you and the coffee will dehydrate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Haha, except the cordial will re-hydrate you and the coffee will dehydrate you.

Have a google, most research finds it neutral and the diuretic effect an old wife's tale.

Advertisement