Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful baby items

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

On the subject of baby being sick.. Paralinks are great to have, they are Paracetamol suppositories, invaluable if your child is vomiting and they have a high fever.. Nothing more scary than having a baby who's burning up and you can't get Calpol into them :eek:

Can use on babies 3 months and over

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I find that self feeding bottle very disturbing.

Me too. My 3 week old would have choked on this within a week. :eek:

He is a guzzler, and gulps when he initially starts to feed, nearly always some milk goes down the wrong way and he breaks off feeding, to cough/swallow properly, I have to swiftly sit him up as it sounds like he is choking and wait until his red face returns to a more normal shade. Scared the crap out of me when he did it the first few times, and thats with him being breastfed, I would worry myself sick if he fed from a bottle with a faster flow. No matter what way I position him, he drinks like its last orders.

Besides, I love feeding times, seeing that sleepy face staring up at me, smelling that lovely baby smell, and stroking his tiny little hands and feet. :D *waits impatiently for him to wake up for the next feed*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I don't know if it's been suggested already but you could bring her dinners! I'd be thrilled to bits if someone arrived in the early days with a few lasagnes/shepherds pie/fish pies (any freezer friendly dinners) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sparks wrote: »
    So I got the Phillips set that has one rectal thermometer (just in case) and one soother thermometer (which came in around the same level of accuracy in the studies as the infrared ones). Cost half as much as the fancy ones, and if it's a choice between holding him still enough to stick something in his ear and getting him to keep a soother in his mouth for 30 seconds, I know which of the two is easier...

Are these widely available? I've never heard of a soother thermometer and it sounds like a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

ariana` wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been suggested already but you could bring her dinners! I'd be thrilled to bits if someone arrived in the early days with a few lasagnes/shepherds pie/fish pies (any freezer friendly dinners) :D

That's the best idea of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Are these widely available? I've never heard of a soother thermometer and it sounds like a brilliant idea.

It's the Philips Avent one- I think I got our one in Boots in Liffey Valley. Very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TomGalway

One of these I believe...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001AXI9O0

My sister had one for her young lad. We all had great fun with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

liliq wrote: »
    It's the Philips Avent one- I think I got our one in Boots in Liffey Valley. Very handy!
    Yup, that's the one. We got ours in mothercare, but they're all over the place from eBay to Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I was given a Babycook. I initially thought it was just an unnecessary gadget, but since I've been weaning my little one I have found it really useful

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dunnes is where I got mine. Came with a normal thermometer as well. It is the Avent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cazzerline

Obviously the self feeding bottle is not something that should be used all the time, but i'm sure you will all agree that there are some times the it can be difficult to do, such as driving long distances in the car. I have friends that have used them and found them great, for those times that you simply have to get a few things done! They are going to be moving country shortly after the baby is born, so there are busy times ahead with lots of packing and long car journeys, so i thought it would be a handy item for occasional use.

The child must be upright while feeding, (which reduces reflux and colic and the chances of ear infections.) and obviously you would be there all the time!

Advertisement