Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful baby items

Options
  • 01-06-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone :) My sister and her husband are due a new baby girl in the next few weeks. I'm looking for ideas from parents particularly for unusual items or gifts that they found invaluable when they had their own children. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I've already bought a self feeding bottle (podee baby bottle) and am looking to put together similarly helpful and useful gifts. Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We got a present of a travel cot,it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cazzerline

Good idea. I'm going to try to put together a few items. I'll look into the travel cot. Thanks a mill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are a few threads on here listing new baby essentials - take a read, pick something. Just get it and give it well ahead of time - I know I went and bought lots of things about which people later said "oh, I'd have bought that for you as a gift" -- well, that's a lovely sentiment, but if the due date comes early and the gift hasn't arrived, baby doesn't have his steriliser/nappy bin/whatever, and that's not great...

Things that we can't (even now) have enough of include: muslins, cellular blankets, breastfeeding tops (we like the Baby-B ones, but there are a huge range of non-1950s-industrial-mother-russia tops out there these days for all kinds of budgets right up to the BabesWithBabies kind of prices), full-length cotton aprons (for the projectile poop during nappy changes; don't get ones with chest pockets :D ).

I would say, if you're buying baby clothes, don't buy anything that's smaller than the 3-6 month range except the mothercare wrap-around kimono-like plain white cotton vests with velcro closures. Those we used in the first ten days all the time because they don't drag so much on the umbilical cord.

Oh, and if you're really, really nice, you'll cut off the tags and give them a hot wash using baby-safe detergent before giving them as gifts :D Just sayin' :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A white noise machine is supposed to be worth it's weight in gold :) we didn't get one but I've heard they're great.

An Angel Care baby monitor.. it detects changes in baby's breathing and has an alarm that sounds if they are in trouble.. a little pricey though afaik.

A voucher for Cranial Osteopathy treatment.. Best thing I ever did for our Son imho.. it's like a massage that irons out the creases so to speak :) great for colic and sleep problems that originate from the trauma of birth..

Nappies!!!! You can never have enough nappies.. a few boxes of nappies for new parents will be very welcome :) same with tins of formula if they're not breastfeeding.. They will be delighted with these.. when the babies are newborn you're constantly feeding and changing.

A grooming kit... a little nail clippers is a real essential.. those little nails can be like daggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

baby wipes and bibs, always very handy to have extras lying around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Best thing we got - grobag swaddle blanket! She has just grown out of it at 15 weeks and we now using the sleep bags! Both great gifts!
    Muslins!! U really can't ever have enough of those!
    Baby bjorn carrier! Suitable from 8 lbs. for first 14 wks tho I had my little girl in a peanut shell sling - she was colicky and would nap in anything else during day!!
    I'm not sure about buying formula in case a particular type doesn't suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Or baby sleeping bags for when baby is a out of their swaddle, from Grobag or non-branded ones are every bit as good.

I love our Groegg nightlight thermometer, its a bit of a gimmick but I like it.

A little nighttime lullaby projector.

A fancy pants changing bag, I'd have loved one of those.

Really cute footmuff cosy toes for the pushchair, not one of the ones that comes with the pram as they tend to be kinda boring and generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Little My wrote: »
    Or baby sleeping bags for when baby is a out of their swaddle, from Grobag or non-branded ones are every bit as good.

I love our Groegg nightlight thermometer, its a bit of a gimmick but I like it.

A little nighttime lullaby projector.

A fancy pants changing bag, I'd have loved one of those.

Really cute footmuff cosy toes for the pushchair, not one of the ones that comes with the pram as they tend to be kinda boring and generic.

All great ideas here - I don't think my gro-egg has ever been turned off in two years, it's something every parent would use, but maybe wouldn't buy themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

A soother tree and a gazzllion soothers!

If you're going to buy clothes I'm going to go against the grain and say buy newborn and 0-3 months vests and baby gros. Everyone assumes you'll get plenty of these but you never get as much as you need with all the puking and pooping. Nappies too.

Chuck a couple of 3-6 month things in, if you can afford it. For some reason everyone seems to skip this are bracket.

Best of luck, lovely thought xx

A soother tree and a gazzllion soothers!

If you're going to buy clothes I'm going to go against the grain and say buy newborn and 0-3 months vests and baby gros. Everyone assumes you'll get plenty of these but you never get as much as you need with all the puking and pooping. Nappies too.

Chuck a couple of 3-6 month things in, if you can afford it. For some reason everyone seems to skip this are bracket.

Best of luck, lovely thought xx

So true about 3-6 months - and also no one bought us vests and sleep suits - she got a million dresses and no sleep suits so we had to go out and buy them for 3-6 months and onwards - we had bought enought during pregnancy for newborn and 0-3!

Just to add - someone got us a lovely mobile which is great
    And if buying the angel are monitor it has a thermometer on it so don't need one if have that! Tho we have the angel care we don't use the mat as it would worry me more!!!!

• Advertisement

A Sophie the Giraffe teether.. my Son loved his.. we got it in Medipharm on Georges Street (Dublin) I don't think many places stock them tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

xzanti wrote: »
    A Sophie the Giraffe teether.. my Son loved his.. we got it in Medipharm on Georges Street (Dublin) I don't think many places stock them tbh..

Smyths do them now. I got one for Ellen and when she squeezed it for the first time the squeak scared the crap out of her... She was a bit suspicious of Sophie after that lol

xzanti wrote: »

I love them - as did my daughter... Until my dog got her.... He thinks only his toys squeak!!! RIP Sophie!!

January wrote: »
    Smyths do them now. I got one for Ellen and when she squeezed it for the first time the squeak scared the crap out of her... She was a bit suspicious of Sophie after that lol

Same here lol.. the day I bought her I took her out of the box and wasn't expecting her to be so soft.. Scared the sh1t out of both of us :D

She's very loud :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

A new kettle ... It will get loads of useM We bought one that heats water to 70C in a flash for making bottles... Bosch styline I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

A good proper sling or carrier... LIFESAVER if baby is refluxy!
    I love our GROegg as well... hasn't been turned off yet.
    A little kit of Calpol, baby nurofen, teetha, snuffle babe, medical syringes?
    A stock of nappies.
    We got so many clothes, he barely wore most of them- vests and babygrows would have got much more use!
    A gro bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Nasal aspirators are very handy.
    A decent ear or non-contact infra red thermometer.
    Respisense monitor for peace of mind.
    Sun blinds for the bag of the car.
    Bumbo baby chair.
    Gro company portable black out blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My sister made me up a basket of essentials for the baby like creams, bath lotions, shampoo, nappy sacks, nail clippers, baby thermometer, soothers, baby brush & stuff like that. She picked things up with her shopping every week so it didn't appear that she was spending much but had a big basket of goodies by the time I had my baby. Think that was the most useful thing I got, I'm still getting through it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cazzerline

Some really great idea's there everyone, thank you so much! :-) Keep the ideas coming, very generous aunty to be here so will probably be getting pleanty more...i'm soooo excited.
    I will let you all know what i end up getting! Thanks again!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

if you're feeling VERY generous (and provided they don't already have one) - a tumble drier is absolutely essential :o

I thought I could get by with drying clothes on the clothes horse inside (baby born in November in the West of Ireland, so now way of hanging washing outside) - great joke that was. Lasted the whole of 3 days before I cracked, and my parents generously got us a decent drier...;)

(but granted, shopping for actual baby stuff is much more fun :D)

I still don't get the appeal of that Sophie thing? we have one, got it as a present, but it's just odd...:confused:

Also, cot sheets, mattress protectors and grobags are a good idea - you can never have too many of them, especially if baby likes to throw up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

cazzerline wrote: »
    I've already bought a self feeding bottle (podee baby bottle) and am looking to put together similarly helpful and useful gifts. Thanks for your help :)

Some lovely ideas here, but I find this idea really unsettling. I looked up the website and It's basically a bottle that the baby feeds itself - you can even buy a teddy to hold the bottle for you...
    "® Gimme-A-Hug Bottle Holder - An adorable plush little lamb with front pouch that holds the Podee® Baby Bottle. Your baby is sure to enjoy its soft touch and warm, friendly face. "

Maybe I'm coming at this from a different perspective, but isn't feeding time (even if for some reason you can't/don't breastfeeding) about bonding with your baby and creating a relationship? Especially for a newborn? To me this is pushing the ideal of 'independence at any price' way, way too far.

Sorry, rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

As a mother and also an expectant mother I find the idea of that self-feeding bottle disturbing!!!
    One thing that I would recommend that EVERY parent have is an Angelcare breathing mat. Absolutely genius invention and gives great peace of mind at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I find that self feeding bottle very disturbing. I saw a mother on the bus prop a bottle up for her little baby in the pram one day while she chatted on the phone. It really upset me.

Essentials: muslin cloths from ikea, an ear thermometer, calpol, nurofen, nasal spray, bepanthen, baby nail clippers, monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Arciphel wrote: »
    A decent ear or non-contact infra red thermometer.
    Oddly, when looking up actual studies of the aural and temporal thermometers to find out which to buy (ie. the studies published in medical journals, not the studies published by the marketing departments), most studies said they weren't as good as the plain old rectal thermometer and couldn't replace those in US pediatric units for telling if an infant was febrile or not (which, really, is the only thing you want the darn thing to actually do).

But then again, rectal thermometers, even if you use them correctly and don't cause an injury ( :eek: ) are not exactly noninvasive :D So I got the Phillips set that has one rectal thermometer (just in case) and one soother thermometer (which came in around the same level of accuracy in the studies as the infrared ones). Cost half as much as the fancy ones, and if it's a choice between holding him still enough to stick something in his ear and getting him to keep a soother in his mouth for 30 seconds, I know which of the two is easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd be terrified of a baby drowning with those bottle feeder things. Especially a very young baby. Is is that much of an inconvenience to feed a baby?!

The rectal thermometeres I'd also be really worried about unless you've be trained to use them in a wriggly baby, there's too much damage that can be done by inserting something like that into a babys anus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21285659

This study shows that while there are statisically significant differences, the differences are not clincally significant.

Another item we found to be a life saver was a changing table. I totally dismissed the idea of one until we were given one as a hand me down. I'm not sure if one has been mentioned here yet or not. Myself and my partner or both quite tall, so bending over a couch or bed etc killed out backs! we have the changing table tucked into a corner in the kitchen and it's brilliant. Shelves for all the nappies, wiped, vests, bibs etc.

To add to the little "kit" I mentioned earlier- multimam compresses for breastfeeding mums. they. are. lifesavers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh yeah, a changing table. A definite must. Like liliq we weren't going to bother getting one but our backs were breaking from leaning over the kitchen table for the first few days.

Thermometers....when you've got a sick, cranky, wriggly baby you'll be glad you're not taking the temp orally or rectally. The ear thermometers like Braun are quick and noninvasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I find that self feeding bottle very disturbing. I saw a mother on the bus prop a bottle up for her little baby in the pram one day while she chatted on the phone. It really upset me.

Are these not meant more for multiples? I know someone who used them with twins, so if the 2 babies were crying to be fed at the same time then one used to self-feeding bottle and it was a lifesaver. I can't imagine why any mum of a singleton would miss out on feeding their baby :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I don't really see the Podee baby bottle as being much different from normal bottle feeding or sticking a soother in the baby's mouth when they're upset to calm them.

The gifts that will be appreciated really depend on the parents and the plans they have for how they are going to take care of their baby. Someone planning to use re-usable cloth nappies and/or breastfeed will have very different requirements from someone using disposables and formula feeding or expressing to bottle-feed. Likewise someone planning to babywear may not appreciate a pram or travel system.

I'm guessing you know what your relatives are planning and have a good idea of their preferences.

With clothes I would say beware buying smaller sizes. Sleeves and legs can be rolled up but clothes that are too small are useless. Babies come in all shapes and sizes. Our baby and my sister's 3 girls needed 3-6 months clothes from birth as they were tall babies and smaller sizes were too short in the body, arms and legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm laughing at the self feeding bottles....I was talking to an old neighbour of my mum's the other day, who in the 80's had 7 children all a year apart. She told me she used to put a teatowel under the baby's chin put the bottle in their mouths and they either drank or starved. I'd say she'd have loved a self feeding bottle :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

liliq wrote: »
    I'd be terrified of a baby drowning with those bottle feeder things. Especially a very young baby. Is is that much of an inconvenience to feed a baby?!

The rectal thermometeres I'd also be really worried about unless you've be trained to use them in a wriggly baby, there's too much damage that can be done by inserting something like that into a babys anus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21285659

This study shows that while there are statisically significant differences, the differences are not clincally significant.

Another item we found to be a life saver was a changing table. I totally dismissed the idea of one until we were given one as a hand me down. I'm not sure if one has been mentioned here yet or not. Myself and my partner or both quite tall, so bending over a couch or bed etc killed out backs! we have the changing table tucked into a corner in the kitchen and it's brilliant. Shelves for all the nappies, wiped, vests, bibs etc.

To add to the little "kit" I mentioned earlier- multimam compresses for breastfeeding mums. they. are. lifesavers!

The rectal thermometer we bought is one that is flexible, so it's quite difficult for the baby to hurt himself with it. We have used it a lot (the French are OBSESSED with taking temperatures!) and not a bother on the baby. (and he is a very wriggly baby).

Advertisement