Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

iguana wrote: »
    I'm disappointed Neyite. I thought you were going to give do a labour and post birth thread too. You should have been posting away throughout the section. Now the experiment is resting solely on my shoulders. ;)

Congrats on your son!:D

I'll be waiting... has to be better than some :p

Congrats Neyite :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm disappointed Neyite. I thought you were going to give do a labour and post birth thread too. You should have been posting away throughout the section. Now the experiment is resting solely on my shoulders. ;)

Congrats on your son!:D

Haha, well I would have, but baby turned that notion on its head! I could barely keep my eyes open after the section - fought and fought it to gaze at my boy, dont think I even knew my own name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Had a scan done today & baba looks brill! Could see our little blob & a little heart flickering away! EDD is 14th Jan ish... Have to wait till the 12 week scan to know for sure. I've been super exhausted & sick oy to find out today that my Thyroid has gone haywire so that could e the main cause.. Changed my prescription so hopefully in a few days I'll be alot better!

Neyite I was like that after my section too! Think it was 2/3am the next morning before I ha a proper look at himself!

Tigeress wrote: »
    Had a scan done today & baba looks brill! Could see our little blob & a little heart flickering away! EDD is 14th Jan ish... Have to wait till the 12 week scan to know for sure. I've been super exhausted & sick oy to find out today that my Thyroid has gone haywire so that could e the main cause.. Changed my prescription so hopefully in a few days I'll be alot better!

Neyite I was like that after my section too! Think it was 2/3am the next morning before I ha a proper look at himself!

Tigress did you have the thyroid problems with your last pregnancy? Mine has been swinging erratically and causing me no ends of problems and generally been a pain in the neck! If you did, did they do much checking of babs once he was born? Or did they wait for the heel prick? Sorry I'm all questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Hi all,

here are some great new HSE Approved Free Apps from Medical Experts covering topics from Pregnancy through Newborns and taking care of new Mum!

Please check out

http://whatsupmum.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Finally made it to the aqua aerobics class I've been mentioning in the moan thread for the last few weeks. It was a much tougher work out than I was expecting (for some reason I thought it would be all just floaty stretches but it was actually a decent cardio work out), my muscles all ache today but in that good post work out way that lets you know you've done something good for your body. It was great working out in the water and I could move in ways that have been off limits to me for the last month or so, like big stridey leg movements. I was more tired than I've ever felt in my life last night but after being practically bed ridden with sickness since early on, I guess that's to be expected. The classes are on twice a week so I think I'm going to try do both of them.

cyning wrote: »

Tigress did you have the thyroid problems with your last pregnancy? Mine has been swinging erratically and causing me no ends of problems and generally been a pain in the neck! If you did, did they do much checking of babs once he was born? Or did they wait for the heel prick? Sorry I'm all questions :)

Yeah I've had a Thyroid problem for years but it was totally under control until I got Preg.. It only went haywire once on my little fella & they put me on Iron which made me violently sick so I refused to take it & it reroute itself within a month. This is the 1st time it's gone wonky again since! They've upped my medicine & I have to say although it's only been 3 days I feel much better in myself!

N was checked at the heel prick tests & when he was 6 weeks & 8 weeks we had to go into Peadeatrics in Portlaoise for extra bloods to make sure he was ok, thankfully he's perfect :) the only thing was chasing the results for him was a nightmare!

Finally made it to the aqua aerobics class I've been mentioning in the moan thread for the last few weeks. It was a much tougher work out than I was expecting (for some reason I thought it would be all just floaty stretches but it was actually a decent cardio work out), my muscles all ache today but in that good post work out way that lets you know you've done something good for your body. It was great working out in the water and I could move in ways that have been off limits to me for the last month or so, like big stridey leg movements. I was more tired than I've ever felt in my life last night but after being practically bed ridden with sickness since early on, I guess that's to be expected. The classes are on twice a week so I think I'm going to try do both of them.

That's great that you're doing this Iguana! It'll benefit both you & baby! I sufferered terrible from SPD and the swimming pool was my only relief, it's def worth swimming if you can :) water aerobics is even better! I'm gonna do it myself this time :)

I'm so jealous that you were able to go do it! Delighted for you though :) Has your sickness eased off now?
    Yeah I've had a Thyroid problem for years but it was totally under control until I got Preg.. It only went haywire once on my little fella & they put me on Iron which made me violently sick so I refused to take it & it reroute itself within a month. This is the 1st time it's gone wonky again since! They've upped my medicine & I have to say although it's only been 3 days I feel much better in myself!

N was checked at the heel prick tests & when he was 6 weeks & 8 weeks we had to go into Peadeatrics in Portlaoise for extra bloods to make sure he was ok, thankfully he's perfect :) the only thing was chasing the results for him was a nightmare!

That's so nice to hear: because when you start looking it up you always get the worst case scenarios!! I'm so worried about my little babs but I've been either under or overactive for the majority of my pregnancy (and the last 4 years) and am so worried that her thyroid won't be right once she gets here... although I'm sure if I didn't have that to worry about I'd find something else :rolleyes:

You sure would Cyning :) the chances are she'll be absolutely fine! The worrying never stops, there is always something :) ya just learn to get on with it hehe how long have you left now?

• Advertisement

You sure would Cyning :) the chances are she'll be absolutely fine! The worrying never stops, there is always something :) ya just learn to get on with it hehe how long have you left now?

6 weeks... have another scan tues... they've been talking about inducing me at 38 weeks ish if I didn't go myself by then so should know more then... I cannot wait to stop feeling so sick all of the time :)

cyning wrote: »
    I'm so jealous that you were able to go do it! Delighted for you though :) Has your sickness eased off now?

It's on and off and more nausea when it's on than actually getting sick. Tuesday wasn't great and I felt getting in water would tip me over the edge but I was ok yesterday and with the weather really, really wanted to go. I really, really hope I've seen the back of it, but it has eased off a few times and come back full force after a week or two, so I'll wait a bit longer before getting excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

morning ladies, i had a 3d/4d scan last night all i can say is amazing, and i now know that we are having a little GIRL :) i cant believe it, :)

Aw congrats. Where did you get it done? We were thinking of having one done too but was surprised at how expensive they are any where we've looked.

Is anyone else here doing shared care with their GP? What happens on the GP appointments? Do they take bloods and do they check the heartbeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

They did my GDD test, and have taken bloods when needed, but not as standard if that makes sense.

They always take blood pressure, listen to the heartbeat with the doppler, and manipulate the bump to feel what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Aw congrats. Where did you get it done? We were thinking of having one done too but was surprised at how expensive they are any where we've looked.

Is anyone else here doing shared care with their GP? What happens on the GP appointments? Do they take bloods and do they check the heartbeat?
    GP checks heartbeat, measures bump to see if its on target for amount of weeks, checks urine sample and blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Got it done in mdu clinic in limerick and was 195euro we got 16 black and white pictures and 18 colour pics and a dvd which it so nice as you can hear the heart beat on which is amazing

at my gp appointments i get my urine checked bp check and they listen to the heart beat

My GP takes blood at EVERY appt: but thats because of thyroid problems! My weight is checked, blood pressure, urine and he listens to the heartbeat.

Boo on the blood (I have collapsy veins and often have to get stuck 3 or 4 times before they get what they need) but yay on the heartbeat! I was hoping he'd listen but didn't want to let myself get too excited in case they didn't. I'm not going in until Monday but I'm really looking forward to knowing baby is ok in there. I'm pretty sure I can feel it moving on occasion but I'm not 100%, so it will be nice to know it's all ok in there.

I'm the same with my veins: one of my goes in hosp they stuck my hands nine times to get a canula in: not helped by how dehydrated I was!

Although I had a GP appt today: and no bloods woohoo :) it's the little things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

I've been doing shared care with my GP and at appointments with her she just checks BP and urine sample and has a wee chat. I had expected her to listen to heartbeat and stuff but that's all she does.
    I've only had bloods done at my booking in appt at the hospital and never heard anything back about them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've been doing shared care with my GP and at appointments with her she just checks BP and urine sample and has a wee chat. I had expected her to listen to heartbeat and stuff but that's all she does.
    I've only had bloods done at my booking in appt at the hospital and never heard anything back about them at all.

Normally GP's have one of those doppler things in the office to listen to the heartbeat, maybe ask her about it when you're next in, it's always lovely to hear!

I think the policy is that you don't hear back re the bloods unless there is an issue. I don't know what week you're in but you'll probably have bloods taken again around 28 weeks at the hospital and again won't hear anything unless there's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Mink wrote: »
    Normally GP's have one of those doppler things in the office to listen to the heartbeat, maybe ask her about it when you're next in, it's always lovely to hear!

I think the policy is that you don't hear back re the bloods unless there is an issue. I don't know what week you're in but you'll probably have bloods taken again around 28 weeks at the hospital and again won't hear anything unless there's an issue.

Thanks I may ask her next time I'm in :) I had wanted to buy a doppler myself but himself said there was no point as we'd be hearing the heartbeat in the docs haha :)
    I'm 20+4 now. Back in to the hospital on monday for scan and stuff. Have glucose tolerance test booked in for 28 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

messy- some docs will do the doppler at this stage but some will wait till your futher along as sometimes with the baby being small and moving alot its hard to hear the heartbeat and sometimes that freaks out the moms so they dont do it unless you ask and even then they will tell you theres a chance they may not be able to find it and its nothing to worry about:) As you go to more appointments when your futher along they do the doppler automatically and measure your stomach aswell as urine and blood pressure!!:D

I'm starting to get worried about dehydration. I'm finding it very hard to drink anything without feeling awful afterwards. From very early on in the pregnancy I seem to have developed lactose intolerance. I was usually a big milk guzzler but from about 6-7 weeks I started finding myself very painfully bloated after even a small glass of it. At the moment I can't touch it. I can still eat cheese, or at least I might be able to I vomited twice this week shortly after eating cheese, so I'm trying to get my calcium from that.

I cant stand water; still, sparking or soda, even though before pregnancy I drank buckets of still and sparking. I can only bear juice in small amounts, I'm currently forcing myself to drink grape juice as it doesn't give me heartburn or make me feel like throwing up.

I don't drink tea or coffee anyway but liked many herbal teas, but I've had to give up some, like peppermint, or force myself with others and I feel awful after drinking them. I can push myself to drink iced tea but I tend to feel yucky afterwards. Fizzy drinks are mostly not helping at all, ginger beer which I normally love and lucozade which I quite liked make me feel ill.

However there is one exception. Coke. I hate it. I normally avoid it. But since getting pregnant I want it all the time. I held out in the first trimester and treated myself to a glass once I reached the second, telling myself it would be a rare treat. But I've found myself having a glass a day now. It's the only thing that doesn't make me feel sick, make me throw up or give me heartburn. I don't understand why as it's got the nutritional value of a dirty rock. I feel awful about it, it must be pure poison to the baby but it's all I can drink without physically suffering afterwards.

I told the midwife I saw a few weeks ago and she said that it's better I drink it than nothing or than something that makes me throw up. The value of the liquid is worth more to me than the negatives of the sugar and caffeine, especially as I'm not a tea and coffee drinker. I'd drink it most of the day if I could but I can't as I feel really guilty about it. But I'm getting so fed up of feeling rancid after drinking anything else that I'm starting to find myself avoiding drinking.:(

I really know how you feel: drinking always was and has remained way harder for me than eating. But if you can keep coke down: drink it. The alternative is ending up in hosp in a drip and your system filling up with ketones: which will make u feel sick, which will make the vomiting worse, which will make it harder to drink: vicious circle!

You can get caffeine free diet coke in tesco too if you're worried about the caffeine?

Even now I can't tolerate milk: I was 24 weeks before I could tolerate cheese and about 30 weeks before I could keep ice cream down. Doc wasn't in the slightest bit worried about the lack of it to be honest.

I used to suck ice cubes and have ice cubes made up with 7up too: also used to have calippos: anything to keep some fluids down. Also I used drink when I was eating it used be easier to keep it down then.

I was 20 weeks before I had massive improvements (aside from the few days after I'd come off a drip), so hopefully you will too :( Even last week I went a whole week without vomiting (untill I jinxed myself by practically telling the whole world!!) but it's nothing at all like it was.

Also I drink diet coke mixed with sparkling water: might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

That might be a good idea to water down the coke a bit.

I take it you've tried different squashes?

You could get those ice pop kits & then fill them with juice or even slightly watered down juice and then suck on them

Good idea on the ice-pops. I actually loved them for the first few weeks of being sick and I got an ice-pop kit but since I went off juice I forgot about them. Juice feels like it just sits too heavily inside me and I keep bring it up. I'll try frozen squashes or lemonades and some calippos. That might work better for me.

I'm should be seeing my doctor tomorrow, so I'll ask him about the coke. My main worry is that whenever I drink it within about 10 minutes it's like the baby is doing a rave inside me, it's all kicks, flips and punches for the next 20 minutes.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Iguana, can you eat fruits and veg with a high water content? I munched my way through heaps of melon during pregnancy, but I'm sure there are others you might keep down.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can manage fruits most of the time. I'll have to stock up on watermelon. Though I am really lame and have started eating the fruit of the week that matches the size of the baby. This week I'm having mango. :o

Advertisement