Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

• 28-05-2012 7:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm let's see how a thread like this works.

Anyway for the first post I'd like to let people know that ATB podcast with its host Kat Bailey is back on 1up. The first episode might be Western RPG focused but the podcast is well worth a listen.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so what JRPG'S Are ye looking forward to playing this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't really think of much. Ys Origins is coming to Steam this year which will be great. I'm hoping the second and third Legend of Heroes games will make it to Steam as well.

Really want to see what Atlus are up to at E3. Hoping Eternal Punishment gets a PSP release. I'll be picking up Growlanser 4 and Gungnir. Etrian Odyssey 4 is going to be superb.

I'm hoping Tales of Xillia makes it to the west and will be picking up Tales of Graces F soon.

Going to have to pick up Ni No Kuni, it looks amazing.

Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Beyond the Labyrinth and Rocket Slime 3 are a few I hope make it to the West.

Oh and the Ys 4 remake on Vita will be the game that makes me pick up a Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Not too much, (Thank God I have no money). The only ones on my radar are Tales of Graces F and Devil Survivor Overclocked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

I'm planning on purchasing a PS2 at some point to get playing the persona series it's been on my to do list for a long time. I don't play much in the summer so I'll probably keep an eye on adverts from around sept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

puffishoes wrote: »
    I'm planning on purchasing a PS2 at some point to get playing the persona series it's been on my to do list for a long time. I don't play much in the summer so I'll probably keep an eye on adverts from around sept
    1-3 are on the PSP in case you didn't know. Probably easier to track down than the original PS1 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only part 1 of Persona 2 is on PSP and 1 and 2 are quite different beasts from Persona 3 and 4. They're very much old school dungeon crawlers like the traditional Shin Megami Tensei games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pity Ni No Kuni Isn't out till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

have to say etrian odyssey 4 might make me buy a 3ds. currently stuck into the second one and have the third lined up next. great games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gungnir.

I'm really hoping this gets a retail release in Europe... Looks great!

If not...It'll be an import for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Hoping Eternal Punishment gets a PSP release. I'll be picking up Growlanser 4 and Gungnir. Etrian Odyssey 4 is going to be superb.

Oh and the Ys 4 remake on Vita will be the game that makes me pick up a Vita.

Let us know if these psp games are good, would be interested in picking one up. Saw trailer for gungnir recently and it looked good!

What's this Ys remake? Is that just you hoping for it, or has it been leaked/announced?

• Advertisement

animaX wrote: »
    Let us know if these psp games are good, would be interested in picking one up. Saw trailer for gungnir recently and it looked good!

What's this Ys remake? Is that just you hoping for it, or has it been leaked/announced?

I probably won't get around to them for a long time as usual put if I do I'll post my thoughts.

Also the Ys 4 remake is definitely coming and XSeed will be publishing in America. If it's half as god as Oath in Felghana and Ys Seven I'll buy a Vita for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I have so many PS1 era JRPGs to catch up onto.

Any recommendations from that era? I finished Suikoden 2 and Legend of Dragoon and the PS1 Final Fantasy games.

Grandia is amazing, definitely give that a go.

Other than that Chrono Cross and Xenogears are alright I suppose. If you've not played FF Tactics then you really should.

I really enjoyed Vagrant Story although it's a bit obtuse. Parasite Eve would be another good one to try.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 are excellent.

I loved Front Mission 3.
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Legend of Dragoon

I feel your pain.

YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

megaten wrote: »

Only 18 months* until an EU launch!

*most likely

penev10 wrote: »
    Only 18 months* until an EU launch!

*most likely

If anyone bothers to bring it over at all.

*hugs US 3DS*

Ghostlight have been pretty good recently bringing the SMT series to Europe and only really missed out on Strange Journey so there's a good chance.

Yeah, I'm kinda regretting getting an EU one now. I bought it when the price crashed because my DS broke. I wasn't actually expecting companies to start supporting the damn thing.

Grandia is amazing, definitely give that a go.

Other than that Chrono Cross and Xenogears are alright I suppose. If you've not played FF Tactics then you really should.

I really enjoyed Vagrant Story although it's a bit obtuse. Parasite Eve would be another good one to try.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 are excellent.

I loved Front Mission 3.

I feel your pain.

I liked it :pac:

• Advertisement

You're either very young or have a higher pain threshold for load times, awful combat mechanics and writing that would make an episode of power rangers blush.

You're either very young or have a higher pain threshold for load times, awful combat mechanics and writing that would make an episode of power rangers blush.

Is 18 too young? :p

Nah I did enjoy it, I understand it had it's problems, I actually liked the combat system.

I didn't really notice the load times, load times in general don't really bother me since I played it on a PSP.

Thought the combat system was one of the worse things about it. All you had was attack, defend and items and the dragoon powers when you did get them added nothing to the game.

When I was 18 FFVII had the greatest story ever written so possibly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

I think the great things about most of the RPGs that i played when I was young was the fact the that I added my own story to the game. FFVII was my first JRPG and I know that on my first playthrough I didn't care too much for the "real" story. I made my own s**t up on the way through.

I think it might be the one thing missing from any of the subsequent RPGs I've played bar TES, not JRPG i know, and the etrian odyssey games. I've enjoyed some of the stories that they tell but I inevitably get bored or lose interest at some point with them.

I think that the more focus thats put on narrative the more i lose interest these days. Maybe I'm just outgrowing JRPGS???

Maybe? Most are made with teenagers in mind.

megaten wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kinda regretting getting an EU one now. I bought it when the price crashed because my DS broke. I wasn't actually expecting companies to start supporting the damn thing.

hahaha that last bit made laugh : D

For tales fans,Tales of Xillia 2

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/02/tales-of-xillia-2-is-the-next-tales-title.aspx

hahaha that last bit made laugh : D

For tales fans,Tales of Xillia 2

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/02/tales-of-xillia-2-is-the-next-tales-title.aspx

We haven't even gotten the first bloody one!

We haven't even gotten the first bloody one!

Ya I noticed that :-/ bloody hell like aghhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ok guys, I was looking at one of the Ys games there on Steam recently and really liked the look of it. Will probably stick with them being on the PSP/Vita though and was wondering if there is a particular one I should start with?

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana are the two best on the PSN store. I really liked Ys Chronicles as well, fantastic remakes of the first two games but the obtuse elements of the first game mean you need a walkthrough to get through it (XSeed knew this so included a walkthrough in the manual for Ys 1). Still well worth getting though and Ys 2 is just superb.

Advertisement