Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC, 500gb limit. Does anybody ever exceed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 uberdruid

There shouldn't be any kind of cap (or other ancient restrictions) in the first place bc it's freakin 2012! Every youtube vid on the Web is available in HD, ppl store their data in the cloud, your game library on Steam can be easily over 500Gigs alone if your an avid gamer, NETFLIX, etc.

So if your family of four consumes in average 2 hours HD content (4Gb/hour for decent 1080p quality) per day, you need 32GB per day for that alone. That is, for a month u would consume 960GB only for watching HD content online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Very selfish thinking here. Bandwidth while cheap, does cost money. The service quality/speeds/latency also drops if one person is hogging all the bandwidth in an area. Its not ideal, but its a necessity for all their customers to have a decent service. This will change over time due to Moore's Law but for the time being, people will have to put up with data caps that are imposed

miralize wrote: »
    Very selfish thinking here. Bandwidth while cheap, does cost money. The service quality/speeds/latency also drops if one person is hogging all the bandwidth in an area. Its not ideal, but its a necessity for all their customers to have a decent service. This will change over time due to Moore's Law but for the time being, people will have to put up with data caps that are imposed

You don't see traffic caps for wired broadband in other European countries, e.g., Norway, Sweden, Germany, Finland. Why should we accept it here in Ireland?!?

I was a Permanet customer for a few years in Kerry. They had no download limits. Once this got out, people subscribed in droves and I knew of people who left their torrent clients open 24/7. As a result, the service fell to crap. We had a VoIP line at the time and had to stop using it as it was too unreliable. A few years later they had to introduce download caps to stop this.

So I completely support download caps, once they're reasonable. 500GB is perfectly fine for me and I've never once gone over it.

uberdruid wrote: »
    You don't see traffic caps for wired broadband in other European countries, e.g., Norway, Sweden, Germany, Finland. Why should we accept it here in Ireland?!?

Because mainland europe is easier to provide infrastructure. Ireland are a small country surrounded by water..

• Advertisement

Because mainland europe is easier to provide infrastructure. Ireland are a small country surrounded by water..

So mainland Europe connects to mainland America not by hundreds of cables through the Atlantic but through a magic conduit?

Some people might like this. An interactive map of the undersea cables.

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

leonil7 wrote: »
    times have changed. now we have backups to Cloud servers, Netflix, etc..
    this 500 GB cap simply will not allow this kind of business to strive.

i mean how can you back up your tb of data files on this cloud servers without receiving this love letter from UPC ?

now im even streaming CNN news from the US at livestation.com

i've checked callcosts.ie , it seems only Magnet offers unlimited use bu sadly not in my area.

there must be a way UPC can offer a package with > 500 Gb limit at an extra price. the 'penalty' clause is simply embarrassing the user for things he does as a normal necessity today and possibly the next months or years to come.
    Is there really a need to backup terrabytes of data to "the cloud" unless you are a professional photographer/vidographer?

I find it amusing that people back up all of their movie and mp3 collection at all to be honest as nowadays almost all of it is available online anyway.

kippy wrote: »
    Is there really a need to backup terrabytes of data to "the cloud" unless you are a professional photographer/vidographer?

Why? Only because YOU dont have a huge collection of personal video recordings entails that anybody should be deprived of the privilege to backup his/her archives online?
    I find it amusing that people back up all of their movie and mp3 collection at all to be honest as nowadays almost all of it is available online anyway.

For public content I absolutely agree! And that's actually a very good argument for no data caps. I don't wanna be hassled by those whenever I want to redownload parts of my mp3 or video colleciton from itunes, Netflix, etc.

Why? Only because YOU dont have a huge collection of personal video recordings entails that anybody should be deprived of the privilege to backup his/her archives online?

No one is depriving you of any "privilege" if you want that privilege, you should pay for it.......
    It's that simple.

UPC have these caps, and the vast majority don't break them because they never approach them and have no need for them. If you do want to back up these personal videos online then you need to be willing to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you want to invoke your privilege, why not sign up to a package that more suits your needs. You may have to contact the big boys, though. And the price will be a magnitude of residential prices. But you should get your unlimited [or at least many TB a month].

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've come close to the 500 gigs but have never gone over. I actually wouldn't mind upgrading to a higher package mainly for the increased cap - not that bothered about the speed. The only thing putting me off is the *hitty router I'd be forced to use - I have a wired modem & my own wireless router. I know I could try using he dmz work around but not sure my existing setup would work will with it. Last time I enquired they won't let me increase the cap on my existing package even if pay extra.

UPC don't allow you to upgrade your 500GB cap, they reduce your 100mb speed to 30mb and extend your download cap to 1TB for an added fee.
    Thats not a privilege, it's a penalty.
    I would much rather they be less transparent, and create a package for bigger end users.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    UPC don't allow you to upgrade your 500GB cap, they reduce your 100mb speed to 30mb and extend your download cap to 1TB for an added fee.
    Thats not a privilege, it's a penalty.
    I would much rather they be less transparent, and create a package for bigger end users.

They do, it's called Business Fibre Power 100........

They do, it's called Business Fibre Power 100........

So why is it not on the HOME user website?
    Again i'm back to transparency here, it's not for home users.

So why is it not on the HOME user website?
    Again i'm back to transparency here, it's not for home users.

It's a package designed for users who need unlimited data at 100Meg (which tend generally to be business). What more do you want? A package tailored specificily for you and the (potentially) 1% of residential customers who require unlimited data at 100meg?
    There are very very few home users who require over 500 gigabyte per month at 100 meg. I am sure UPC are aware of this.

It's a package designed for users who need unlimited data at 100Meg (which tend generally to be business). What more do you want? A package tailored specificily for you and the (potentially) 1% of residential customers who require unlimited data at 100meg?
    There are very very few home users who require over 500 gigabyte per month at 100 meg. I am sure UPC are aware of this.

Lulz, how do you know what % of residential customers go over the limits and could keep going if they weren't penalized for it?
    It's a package designed for businesses NOT people who go over 500GB, they don't do a package for people who go over 500 GB a month, FACT.
    Source: UPC.
    Are you the CAP Police?
    I notice you are very hostile towards people who go over their cap or even mention needing a higher cap.
    You need better things to be doing than telling other people how much they SHOULD be downloading a month.

Common sense. I consider myself a heavy downloader but I never go over 500GB. You'd have to be downloading HD video 24/7...

Seriously some people are never happy. How did you cope before UPC came along, on crappy Eircom?

Common sense. I consider myself a heavy downloader but I never go over 500GB. You'd have to be downloading HD video 24/7...

Seriously some people are never happy. How did you cope before UPC came along, on crappy Eircom?

Do you want a medal from the "i don't go over my CAP federation"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't understand how people go over 500GB a month to be honest. Fact is if you do, that's your problem and not upcs. Good luck finding another ISP with a cap near that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've gone over 500GB a few months ago and got the letter. it stated I had used something like 53299999999999999bits, so clearly they have the tools to monitor every tiny bit that passes though my router, but don't let me access that tool?!

I'm fairly sure I've gone over this month, or damn near it anyway, and I'm going to argue my case if they try to penalise me.

and its actually very easy to hit 500gb if you've got 4+ people in the house...

I've got Sky Go streaming live TV and movies everywhere all day, and that uses about 1.4GB/h. one of the lads had to format his pc and download 200gb of games from steam and origin. patches for a game we all play came out the other day, its 2GB ( x4). SWTOR has 20gb of patches after you install (x2 housemates).

I host several Minecraft, team speak, Ventrillo, Team Viewer etc servers too. and updating my 25gb Dropbox is well.. 25gb a go!

I know I'd be in the minority, but I have seen technophobic friends upload 150gb of a torrent he downloaded etc and streaming is becoming huge.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've gone over 500GB a few months ago and got the letter. it stated I had used something like 53299999999999999bits, so clearly they have the tools to monitor every tiny bit that passes though my router, but don't let me access that tool?!

I'm fairly sure I've gone over this month, or damn near it anyway, and I'm going to argue my case if they try to penalise me.

and its actually very easy to hit 500gb if you've got 4+ people in the house...

I've got Sky Go streaming live TV and movies everywhere all day, and that uses about 1.4GB/h. one of the lads had to format his pc and download 200gb of games from steam and origin. patches for a game we all play came out the other day, its 2GB ( x4). SWTOR has 20gb of patches after you install (x2 housemates).

I host several Minecraft, team speak, Ventrillo, Team Viewer etc servers too. and updating my 25gb Dropbox is well.. 25gb a go!

I know I'd be in the minority, but I have seen technophobic friends upload 150gb of a torrent he downloaded etc and streaming is becoming huge.

Then look at a package that fits your needs. Nothing currently on residential, look at the business options.
    I am sure, if and when, a larger proportion of people need to use over 500Gb's at the 100 meg then UPC will introduce a package to suit them...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

100gb is the closest ive ever gone to the 500gb, and that was once or twice.

Then look at a package that fits your needs. Nothing currently on residential, look at the business options.
    I am sure, if and when, a larger proportion of people need to use over 500Gb's at the 100 meg then UPC will introduce a package to suit them...........

:pac:
    Yes it's called "The Transparent Package"
    1 TB limit (no limit) , speed reduced by over half, with no means to check online usage.

:pac:
    Yes it's called "The Transparent Package"
    1 TB limit (no limit) , speed reduced by over half, with no means to check online usage.
    Then what is your problem?

Yore ma.:)
    It seems to me you're the one with the problem.
    Who would've thought there are internet users out there who download more than you??
    It's a crazy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

30mbps is my problem.

if they offered 1TB @ 100mbps for reasonable money I'd consider it.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    30mbps is my problem.

if they offered 1TB @ 100mbps for reasonable money I'd consider it.

Exactly.
    They shouldn't punish you for wanting a bigger allowance, charging i can understand.
    But explaining this to those who download 2gb a month is pointless.

Yore ma.:)
    It seems to me you're the one with the problem.
    Who would've thought there are internet users out there who download more than you??
    It's a crazy world.

As I said, I am sure if UPC believed there was a worthwhile (large enough) market for unlimited @100Meg they would offer it to residential customers. As I also said, they do actualy have a package that offers that.

The fact of the matter is simple, currently UPC do not believe enough people require this package to go to the trouble of putting it together.

• Advertisement

As I said, I am sure if UPC believed there was a worthwhile (large enough) market for unlimited @100Meg they would offer it to residential customers. As I also said, they do actualy have a package that offers that.

The fact of the matter is simple, currently UPC do not believe enough people require this package to go to the trouble of putting it together.

What a bit like...UPC don't believe enough people care how much they download per month (usage monitor) on a package that started out with UNLIMITED download on UPC when it first came out ? ;)

Advertisement