Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Brady - holed and sunk, but does he know it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

gundam_wing_robots-8824.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭F12

gundam_wing_robots-8824.jpg

Is this the backup the Vatican are sending in for Brady? Nice gear, but doesn't look Italian. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Some peculiar distractionary tactics going on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Galvasean wrote: »
    Some peculiar distractionary tactics going on here...

Admit it, you love the Transformers distraction though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭F12

Sonics2k wrote: »

Hmm...I wonder if Transformers believe in God...naw, they are robots, and far too clever for that kind of thing. :D Now, as for a Bradybot...hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

F12 wrote: »
    Hmm...I wonder if Transformers believe in God...naw, they are robots, and far too clever for that kind of thing. :D Now, as for a Bradybot...hmmm

An attack by you people again on a church with a membership of 1.2 billion people.

It's the wider church and the Holy Father you are looking to nail so to speak.

Don't suppose you think you're smarter than the Pope do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Depends on what we're talking about, if we're talking Lord of the Rings or Monopoly, I'm your man.

If you want to talk about how to cover up crimes, take bribes and exploit the working classes of the world to feed billions of dollars into your organizations, then we'll go to the Pope.

Or Steve Jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

An attack by you people again on a church with a membership of 1.2 billion people.

Why is the figure 1.2 billion relivent?
    There are probably more smokers in the world so if numbers alone mean something must be revered and respected we had better bring back smoking in hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm afraid that mis-reporting and consipracy theory has been well debunked.

http://ncronline.org/blogs/all-things-catholic/keeping-record-straight-benedict-and-crisis
    Presumably this is the bit you refer to;
    That letter indicates that certain grave crimes, including the sexual abuse of a minor, are to be referred to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and that they are "subject to the pontifical secret." The Vatican insists, however, that this secrecy applied only to the church's internal disciplinary procedures, and was not intended to prevent anyone from also reporting these cases to the police or other civil authorities. Technically they're correct, since nowhere in the 2001 letter is there any prohibition on reporting sex abuse to police or civil prosecutors.
    So everyone was sworn to secrecy, but now in hindsight you are saying the secrecy did not apply to the subject matter of the discussion, but only to the procedures used? Seems like BS to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Smarter than this guy:

1_123125_2073765_2240459_2266153_100913_fw_popetn.jpg

Well, if he/she doesn't agree with:
    the institutionalised rape and torture of children; the teaching that condoms can cause AIDS; the historical atrocities; the endorsement of dictators; the justification of slavery; the subjugation of women; the suppression of enlightenment thinking; the torture and murder of heretic scientists and the bullying and hatred of homosexuals .......
    then yeah, I would say that he/she is smarter than ratzinger.

(quote from Hitchens)

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Smarter than this guy:

1_123125_2073765_2240459_2266153_100913_fw_popetn.jpg

Well, if he/she doesn't agree with: then yeah, I would say that he/she is smarter than ratzinger.

(quote from Hitchens)

Christopher Hitchens RIP

Long time Marxist and supporter of the Eastern bloc dictatorships.

Before he did an about face, went to America and supported the illegal invasion and slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent people in Iraq.

Changing those principles made him a wealthy man.

Depends on what we're talking about, if we're talking Lord of the Rings or Monopoly, I'm your man.

If you want to talk about how to cover up crimes, take bribes and exploit the working classes of the world to feed billions of dollars into your organizations, then we'll go to the Pope.

Or Steve Jobs.

The Church has fed and clothed millions of people across the world where governments show no concern.

The Church has provided material and spiritual sustenance to billions.

What atheists have done is open to question.

Why is the figure 1.2 billion relivent?
    There are probably more smokers in the world so if numbers alone mean something must be revered and respected we had better bring back smoking in hospitals.

It says a lot of things.

That the organisation matters to a lot of people out there.

That there will always be some bad eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The population of China is one billion and counting, this doesn't mean that I won't happily criticise their corrupt government and their awful policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

You would be better not debating here... You just feed the trolls and the mods don't come often. Atheists just believe what they want to believe and twist the truth as they wish. no Objective debate here... Just one or 2 liners of cheap back chat.

I think Card. Brady should go, But the Media storm this week is the same old same old.. Lets drag up the past and present it as present.

The present day reality of the Catholic Church is that there have been ZERO cases of abuse reported in the last 10 years of abuse taken place in the last 10 years. The Church has change and there is ZERO tolerance for abuse.

But Card. Brady should bow out, apologise to victims he did know and let someone not involved with abuse investigation take over.

Christopher Hitchens RIP

Long time Marxist and supporter of the Eastern bloc dictatorships.

Everyone knows that refusing to change one's mind no matter the evidence presented is an admirable principle.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The population of China is one billion and counting, this doesn't mean that I won't happily criticise their corrupt government and their awful policies.

But have you condemned Kenny and Higgins for meeting with the heir apparent to this muderous regime in recent weeks?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    the Media storm this week is the same old same old.. Lets drag up the past and present it as present.
    Where exactly did the media present the past as present? Links?

Were the media wrong to report on recent revelations and to ask other questions on the actions & inactions of Brady, the most senior representative of an organisation tainted by the evils of child abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Atheists just believe what they want to believe and twist the truth as they wish.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

kbannon wrote: »
    Where exactly did the media present the past as present? Links?

Were the media wrong to report on recent revelations and to ask other questions on the actions & inactions of Brady, the most senior representative of an organisation tainted by the evils of child abuse?

What recent revelations... It was already public knowledge.

I don't want to cheapen the hurt of the victims.. I do think Card. Brady should resign. But everything the media has presented in the last week was already public knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The Church has fed and clothed millions of people across the world where governments show no concern.

Members of church do good things = church does good things

Members of church do bad things = couple of bad eggs. Can't hold church responsible.

Got ya.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Members of church do good things = church does good things

Members of church do bad things = couple of bad eggs. Can't hold church responsible.

Got ya.

Again no comment from you yet on the charred bodies from Bloody Friday that your SF buddies committed.

The Church is responsible - I have never said any different.

My view is that Sean Brady did all he could have done at that time.

The Bishop was to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My view is that Sean Brady did all he could have done at that time.

Did he inform the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Corkfeen wrote: »

But have you condemned Kenny and Higgins for meeting with the heir apparent to this muderous regime in recent weeks?
    While I do see the benefits of developing relations with China. I am of the opinion that they should have critiqued and highlighted their human rights abuses in an effort to create change. This point mightn't fit your agenda though. Also, stop calling ShooterSF a Sinn Fein supporter when he has clearly stated that he isn't and realise that you're asserting an unfounded meaning to the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

You would be better not debating here... You just feed the trolls and the mods don't come often. Atheists just believe what they want to believe and twist the truth as they wish. no Objective debate here... Just one or 2 liners of cheap back chat.

I think Card. Brady should go, But the Media storm this week is the same old same old.. Lets drag up the past and present it as present.

---

It's hard to know whether to laugh or cry when I see such an absurd claim as the bit I have highlighted, but I think I'll just laugh. It's better for you, they say.:):)

By definition, atheists DO NOT BELIEVE; more specifically, they refuse to believe the unbelievable, in the existence of an invisible being that cannot be detected with any sense or instrument. As for twisting the truth, that is really rich coming from someone who believes in talking snakes, wonderful gardens with magic trees and an invisible spook who has unlimited power and loves us, but still allows millions to live in squalor and misery, because it's supposedly good for us.

Give me a break!:rolleyes:

As for the past, we have heard quite a lot about that. And we would learn even more if the church were to come clean and ask the Papal Nuntio to give the Murphy Commission the information it has requested, rather than hiding behind the diplomatic status that it enjoys thanks to the fact that the fascist dictator Mussolini gave the comic-opera entity he and the then Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere created in the 1920s the status of a sovereign state.:rolleyes:

Cardinal Brady is not the past; he is the present head of that vile organisation in Ireland. He has a past history that thoroughly deserves to be in the spotlight. And it is not just in Ireland that he is getting a lot of attention. I suggest you have a look at this article in a highly pro-Catholic London newspaper - and especially the reader comments:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/9246727/The-Roman-Catholic-Church-has-protected-evil-for-too-long.html#disqus_thread

He deserves every second of media scrutiny he gets - and so does his boss.:eek:

6a00d8341d417153ef01310fe113a6970c-800wi

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I promised I was out but, well, people are actually talking misinformed stuff here, and I actually do value the truth ;)

They're not Transformers, they're other giant robots.

Not the real giant robots though, Gundam fans think they know the one true, infallible robot franchise. But the heads of the transformers franchise say they are the true ones, and they also say they never lie, so I for one believe them.

Well, actually, some of the transformers believe in Primus, described as the god of light who wages war against Unicron, the great dark god.

Some transformers go as far as to believe they are the chosen ones of Primus. "Prime", to some, is a religious rank. They also believe when they die, they become one with a mystic realm called the matrix.

Of course, in the continuities Primus is said to exist in, he occasionally turns up to, you know, show people he actually exists. So the fictional god is more real than the, er, "real".

Wow, that argument again... another variable in the equation.

So, 1.2 billion- this figure was arrived at on a census Sunday, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You would be better not debating here... You just feed the trolls and the mods don't come often.

What has the mods' sexual prowess (or lack thereof) got to do with anything?

It's always a sexual thing with you religious folk, isn't it.

(That was my cheap back chat for the day).

Nodin wrote: »
    Did he inform the Gardai?

No - that wasn't his role at that time.
    He informed the Bishop.
    Now Nodin you are a well known Republican on these boards.
    Perhaps you would care to comment on Bloody Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Again no comment from you yet on the charred bodies from Bloody Friday that your SF buddies committed...

You're not paying attention to the advice you got from qrrgprgua;
    You would be better not debating here... You just feed the trolls and the mods don't come often.... Just one or 2 liners of cheap back chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No - that wasn't his role at that time.
    He informed the Bishop.
    Now Nodin you are a well known Republican on these boards.
    Perhaps you would care to comment on Bloody Friday?

NODIN IS A REPUBLICAN!!

FLAY HIM!! :mad:

Advertisement