Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Incase anyone was wondering, this is the monster I wake up to every morning:

It's evil!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Togepi wrote: »
    Incase anyone was wondering, this is the monster I wake up to every morning:

It's evil!!

Omg I want one :D where did you get that ? :O

Omg I want one :D where did you get that ? :O

Looked around for one for ages but eventually got it off Amazon 'cause it was the cheapest. :P They're still really dear though like €30-ish. :cool: I see it as an investment though, there's no other way I'd get up next year unless I brought Mammy off to college with me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBlUCgjl4MU

This particular version of Hey Ya :D I'm doing German btw which is why I chose the German one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Somehow I think I know Coeur...but I'm reckoning not. It's just when you get that sneaky feeling?

Message me, you could be right, you might not be, does it matter? Life is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw 2012 up when I went looking for exam papers on th SEC website. Only the link modules exam :L

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I nearly had a heart attack when I saw 2012 up when I went looking for exam papers on th SEC website. Only the link modules exam :L

Imagine... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Imagine... :D

They'd end up changing them all! It'd be a fiasco :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Woo! Seamus Heaney essay done! He's actually such an easy poet! Did about 20 minutes revision of his poems and got 5.5 pages done in 50 minutes! I'm still kinda worried about the amount of poems i'm writing about, I state clearly in each answer the 6/7 poems I studied and then usually talk about 3 in detail. I only shoved in a bit of a comparison between 'A constable calls' and 'Tollund Man' in my essay. :confused:

Also, does anyone know if this is true or my English Teacher has picked this fact up wrong- When you do any essay in the Leaving, be it comparative, Hamlet, Poetry etc.

Let's say you get 12/15 in your Purpose in a Poetry Question, is it true you CAN'T get more than 12/15 in your Clarity and Language marks? That's what she told us but I just can't make sense of it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Let's say you get 12/15 in your Purpose in a Poetry Question, is it true you CAN'T get more than 12/15 in your Clarity and Language marks? That's what she told us but I just can't make sense of it?
    Apparently, yeah :S My teacher doesnt mark them that way - for example, in my mock story it was 'write a modern love story' but technically mine was a date not a love story so I actually lost 10 purpose marks :( I also lost 10 clarity marks but I got 24/30 for language because it was suitable love-y language so there was no reason to penalise me for it. What I imagine would happen is they have an idea of what they want to give you for it and just work around that - e.g. if my teacher had to do that but still give me the same grade he'd just make it 22/22/20 which adds up to the same thing, you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Apparently, yeah :S My teacher doesnt mark them that way - for example, in my mock story it was 'write a modern love story' but technically mine was a date not a love story so I actually lost 10 purpose marks :( I also lost 10 clarity marks but I got 24/30 for language because it was suitable love-y language so there was no reason to penalise me for it. What I imagine would happen is they have an idea of what they want to give you for it and just work around that - e.g. if my teacher had to do that but still give me the same grade he'd just make it 22/22/20 which adds up to the same thing, you know?
    Damn, I thought she was just being crazy! I find it so hard to get good language marks, i'm here looking at a LG essay I did and there's good language used, variation of compare/contrast words and I only got 12/21 for it :( I'm going to go and do out another LG essay and try and leave out the 'mistakes' I made in it and see if I can get better than 56/70 for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

My teacher usually just gives you a grade , and not like clarity purpose , etc... my other teacher last year did though.
    My English teacher reckons role of women will come up for Hamlet this year. Has anyone else's English teacher said this?

Does anyone know what the DEB English P1 titles were? I had ExamCraft but I've already done both of those stories so I want to do something new. :)

I know one was about a character and an unexpected change but I cant remember exactly what it was.

Oh and PF, that doesnt matter tooooo much since the only thing after language is mechanics :) I usually get close to full marks in my comparative section but I dont go overboard with language...I just keep it simple. What I imagine is happening (I dont mean this to sound bad, its just a guess!) is that you might be wording things in a confusing way and losing marks, rather than keeping it simple and not losing them if that makes sense :)

Edit: Got the stories - I remember hearing them before but the change one seems difficult. A challenge. :cool:

That's definitely true. Our teacher kept emphasising it to us last year (and she knows her stuff!) and when I viewed my scripts for English my essay had P - 26, C - 26 and L - 26. Would love to know what I would've gotten if I hadn't gone slightly off the point for the second half of my essay!

Arghhh I have an idea for a story but its not exactly a pleasant one, but it'd sound like I'm thinly veiling my life, which I'm not. And that would be awkward. So now I cant do the story. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Yeah it's true, my teacher explained it as follows: if it wasn't the case people can learn off ANY fantastic essay and get almost full marks in Coherence, Language and Mechanics, but nothing in Purpose. But since you can't get more than what you got for Purpose then it's impossible to just learn off any essays by heart and write them down without even looking at the title.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Yeah it's true, my teacher explained it as follows: if it wasn't the case people can learn off ANY fantastic essay and get almost full marks in Coherence, Language and Mechanics, but nothing in Purpose. But since you can't get more than what you got for Purpose then it's impossible to just learn off any essays by heart and write them down without even looking at the title.

Ah now it all makes sense! It seemed a bit harsh at first 'cause it's easy to go a little off track on the day no matter how hard you try to keep it focused.

And @Patchy, are the stories not meant to be depressing? Our teacher always told us to have a sad ending and kill at least one character. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I was experimenting deactivating and reavtivating my Facebook to see if it would get blocked and it did! :D 24 hours without being able to reactivate, study will be done :)

M&S* wrote: »
    I was experimenting deactivating and reavtivating my Facebook to see if it would get blocked and it did! :D 24 hours without being able to reactivate, study will be done :)

But what about: Twitter, Tumblr, StumbleUpon, Reddit, YouTube, Boards? :rolleyes:

Much easier to just ask someone to change the wireless password in the house :pac: oh, and to hide all the batteries for your mobile phone! :cool:

Edit: also ask your parents to organise an empty room with nothing but a table, books, copies and pens and lock you there for a few hours :P Even Cian would start studying in that kinda situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I failed at deactivating my facebook. Instead I kept it activated but deleted the application off my phone . I changed the password to a long complicated one random numbers and saved it to my email. But I can't log on as easily because I don't know the password. I rarely go on it now it really works and I have to go through all my emails to find it. I have to change it again my browsers started to remember it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

COMPLETELY TRUE. If you get 12/15 in your purpose, you're down nine marks, not three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

But what about: Twitter, Tumblr, StumbleUpon, Reddit, YouTube, Boards? :rolleyes:

Much easier to just ask someone to change the wireless password in the house :pac: oh, and to hide all the batteries for your mobile phone! :cool:

Edit: also ask your parents to organise an empty room with nothing but a table, books, copies and pens and lock you there for a few hours :P Even Cian would start studying in that kinda situation.

I need boards for study purposes, I don't get distracted by the others so it's all good! :cool:
    Besides, I'm only human the internet is like a basic human need at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yep, the English marking thing is definitely true, my mock was corrected by an experienced corrector and all my marks are like that, the coherence/language marks are either exactly the same or slightly lower than my purpose ones.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Yep, the English marking thing is definitely true, my mock was corrected by an experienced corrector and all my marks are like that, the coherence/language marks are either exactly the same or slightly lower than my purpose ones.

Goes to show exactly how important it is to stay on topic :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Goes to show exactly how important it is to stay on topic :o

Yeah definitely! I got 67/70 in my comparative essay in the mock, 20 for P, C and L, and then 7 for M. If only I'd gotten that extra purpose mark! :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

i just let off a really smelly fart

why are all your posts to do with your ass

@Togepi: Yeah but it'd be awkward because its a really depressing story but I'd be describing it pretty vividly and it might sound weird; when I was in 3rd year a guy wrote a story about murdering people and they sent him to counselling :L :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

Patchy~ wrote: »
    why are all your posts to do with your ass

OMG WHAT U MEAN?!?!? :mad:

I dunno, everytime I've read your posts you've been talking about farting...we all do it, but we dont share :pac:

• Advertisement

@kitty9 are you Reznov? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement