Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is Primark called Penneys only in ireland?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Bulmers is called Magners because there is another cider company in UK called bulmers which is unrelated to the Tipperary Bulmers -hence change of name

I believe the Burgerking - Hunger Jack name change is due to the fact that Macdonalds bought the naming rights to Burgerking in Oz before Burgerking did - pulling a fast 1 on their fierce rival. That is why there are a couple of burgerkings in the prime locations in Oz - but burgerking have had to pay Macd's a wedge of cash for the priviledge. Or so i heard anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

irish-stew wrote: »
    Whys Opel called Opel everywhere barr in the UK where its called Vauxhall.
    As noted, it's now all GM, and they could sell all cars under the GM banner if they wanted to, but they have a policy of keeping the names of previous companies as badges. There's also Holden in Australia, and those names they have in the USA - Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

according to wikipedia Mcdonalds had nothing to do with the Burger King name being already registered in Australia, it was a local burger joint in Adelade.
    Nevertheless, an interesting story on how a company was forced to create a new brand for a country and ends up with locals being acustomed to the name so much that it sticks even when it could be changed.

Another local curiousity is O neills sportswear in Ireland.
    They got in with 3 stripes before Adidas had it trademarked so still can produce jerseys etc with the 3 stripes for Ireland but cant export it abroad.

If you want something like the Kerry jersey sent abroad direct from O Neills then it'll be made specially with 2 stripes to keep adidas happy!
    Heres the page with all the jerseys that have an international (adidas friendly) version
    http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/2-stripe-jerseys.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I wonder why the grass is green
    And why the wind is never seen?
    Who taught the birds to built a nest
    And told the trees to take a rest?
    O, when the moon is not quite round
    Where can the missing bit be found?
    Who lights the stars, when they blow out
    And makes the lighting flash about?
    Who paints the rainbow in the sky
    And hangs the fluffy clouds so high?
    Why is it now, do you suppose
    That dad won't tell me if he knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭jacool

I'd say your dad is fed up of you asking silly questions.
    If I were him I'd poke you in each one of your three eyes !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

triple-M wrote: »
    also why is lynx called axe in most other countries?

In France, the word for 'big cats' is used specifically to denote a strong smell of body odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Wow, sudden flashback from school!

Another one is Moro vs Boost - they're the same thing apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Bit off topic too but someone opened a fake Primark in Dubai.

Knock off penneys what is the world coming too

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/industry-insights/retail/fake-primark-store-in-dubai-rattles-uk-retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

genie_us wrote: »
    Wow, sudden flashback from school!

Another one is Moro vs Boost - they're the same thing apparently

Had that practically beat into us in school:D. When I'm old, grey and shitting the bed, when I can't remember my name anymore, I guarantee I'll be wrecking my great-grandkids head with that poem. It's ingrained in my brain!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

In France, the word for 'big cats' is used specifically to denote a strong smell of body odour.

... and not in a good way.Which says something about the stench of Lynx/Axe, but it seems so people have no sense of smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

On 26 February 1976, to settle their pending litigations and proceedings, Penney America and the ABF Group entered into the notified agreement, which became effective on 27 August 1976 (the operative date) and which is outlined below. (a) The ABF Group shall not use "Penneys" as a trademark or - except as a business name in Ireland - as a trade name in any country of the world, shall change all company names or titles, so as to eliminate "Penneys" therefrom, and shall never organize or acquire a business which includes this name. It shall also proceed to phase out step by step in Scotland and Northern Ireland all use of "Penneys" as a trademark, trade name or otherwise. Such phasing out shall be completed during 1978. Penney America shall cause the trademark registrations of "Power", "Quinnsworth", "Finefare", "Fine Ware" and "City Girl" to be relinquished. They acknowledge that the word "Primark" is not confusingly similar to "Penneys". While these trademark registrations and "Primark" may be used by the ABF Group, "Penneys" may be used by Penney America as a trademark and, except in Ireland, as a trade name in all countries of the world.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31978D0193:EN:HTML

Now you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

leggo wrote: »
    Why is Bulmers called Magners outside of Ireland?

Because it just is.

It's because there's an Irish Bulmers; http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/danz_s2/bulmers3.jpg and an English Bulmers; http://www.jendrosz.com/images/bulmers.jpg. So Irish Bulmers is called Magners outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

irish-stew wrote: »
    Whys Opel called Opel everywhere barr in the UK where its called Vauxhall.
    GM decided to retain Vauxhall in the UK because of the British association. But they're really Opels. Back in the eighties in Ireland you could buy either an Opel Kadett or Vauxhall Kadett. The only difference was the badge. Eventually the GM surveyed Irish motorists to see which one they preferred. Opel won out because it was explained, Opel was associated with German quality and efficiency. On the other hand British cars of the time were notoriously badly built and unreliable. So Vauxhall lost out. Personally I preferred Vauxhall as a name. Opel is a bit, aneamic or something.

As for Penneys/Primark, I never realised it started in Ireland.

All colours EXCEPT green are absorbed in the plant's chlorophyll. Green is the colour 'reflected' and transmitted back.

Air is transparent and homogeneous.

Nobody. Birds who build nests survive better than birds who don't

Nobody. It's beneficial to not use energy [the Sun's] when it's not abundant in winter.

The moon doesn't change shape in a noticable time frame. The Earth casts a shadow on it.

Nobody. The stars are always there. They're only visible to the naked eye on the part of the planet farthest away from the Sun.

Nobody. Lightning is caused when water molecules collide in a cloud. This causes the molecules to loose electrons.These electrons build up at the bottom of a cloud and make it negatively charged. The rising moisture molecules, now missing electrons, become positively charged and gather at the top of the cloud. This creates a charge separation, which has an electric field that is negative at the bottom and positive at the top. As the collisions continue, the electric field builds so strong that it gives the planet's surface a positive charge. When these charges become powerful enough, the cloud's electricity is discharged toward the Earth's surface, which results in lightning.

Nobody. Rainbows are a result of the refraction of light through water.

Clouds don't 'float'. They are continuously falling. It's not noticable untill water droplets get too heavy and it rains.

People are scientifically illiterate.

Science > Arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

All colors EXCEPT green are absorbed in the plant's chlorophyll. Green is the color 'reflected' and transmitted back.

Air is transarent and homogeneous.

Nobody. Birds who build nests survive better then birds who don't

Nobody. It's benificial to not use energy [the Sun's] when it's not abundant in winter.

The moon dosen't change shape in a noticable time frame. The Earth casts a shadow on it.

Nobody. The stars are always there. They're only visable to the naked eye on the part of the planet farthest awy from the Sun.

Nobody. Lighting is caused when water molecules collide in a cloud. This causes the molecules to loose electrons.These electrons build up at the bottom of a cloud and make it negatively charged. The rising moisture molecules, now missing electrons, become positively charged and gather at the top of the cloud. This creates a charge separation, which has an electric field that is negative at the bottom and positive at the top. As the collisions continue, the electric field builds so strong that it gives the planet's surface a positive charge. When these charges become powerful enough, the cloud's electricity is discharged toward the Earth's surface, which results in lightning.

Nobody. Rainbows are a result of the refraction of light through water.

Clouds don't 'float'. They are continuously falling. It's not noticable untill water droplets get too heavy and it rains.

People are scientifically illiterate

Science > Arts.

Probably not a good idea to do a patronising, smart arsed post and then have it riddled with spelling mistakes and typos though, particularly when most people knew what the other poster was referring to. He wasn't asking serious questions, duh.

summerskin wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to do a patronising, smart arsed post and then have it riddled with spelling mistakes and typos though, particularly when most people knew what the other poster was referring to. He wasn't asking serious questions, duh.

Nice. I have mild dyslexia. I have trouble reading and spelling. Cheers tho, I'll clean 'em up.

Color is right tho... in America.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Another local curiousity is O neills sportswear in Ireland.
    They got in with 3 stripes before Adidas had it trademarked so still can produce jerseys etc with the 3 stripes for Ireland but cant export it abroad.

If you want something like the Kerry jersey sent abroad direct from O Neills then it'll be made specially with 2 stripes to keep adidas happy!
    Heres the page with all the jerseys that have an international (adidas friendly) version
    http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/2-stripe-jerseys.html

O'Neills should tell Addidas where to go and shove their stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Lapin wrote: »
    O'Neills should tell Addidas where to go and shove their stripes.

This may be an urban legend but I thought O'Neills won a court case with Addidas because they said that they have 5 stripes (including the two between the three) while addidas said that they had 3 stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

That must be a later version of that ad, after they named the little lad Zak!
    the original music was a much quicker tempo.
    'Penney's, got a whole lot of things for Christmas, got a lot for the family! Fa la la la lalala la la' and so on

Advertisement