Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I am pie wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, you are voting for or against a treaty. If you haven't bothered to understand the implications of voting no or yes then you are a fool.

Fools and their votes are easily parted.

You are not voting for or against the government.

While true, pointing out that people are being unrepentantly stupid tends to get stuck in their craw, making them more committed to their initial retarded notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One thing is for sure, you are voting for or against a treaty. If you haven't bothered to understand the implications of voting no or yes then you are a fool.

Fools and their votes are easily parted.

In an odd way you are, if the amendment is shot down, the media will turn on happy and inda and ask is this not a vote of no confidence in their govt

Also if we screw their treaty, the EU might just manage to depose enda and stick some puppet of theirs (like ..hmm John Bruton) in as an unelected caretaker for them.

Of course that could never happen, like it did in greece and italy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Ok, I'm only 2 pages in on the website but why is every other country referred to by its official name but not The Republic of Ireland?

http://www.stabilitytreaty.ie/index.php/en/about_the_treaty/preamble/

THE KINGDOM OF BELGIUM, THE REPUBLIC OF BULGARIA, THE KINGDOM OF DENMARK, THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY, THE REPUBLIC OF ESTONIA, IRELAND, THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC, THE KINGDOM OF SPAIN, THE FRENCH REPUBLIC, THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC, THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS, THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA, THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA, THE GRAND DUCHY OF LUXEMBOURG, HUNGARY, MALTA, THE KINGDOM OF THE NETHERLANDS, THE REPUBLIC OF AUSTRIA, THE REPUBLIC OF POLAND, THE PORTUGUESE REPUBLIC, ROMANIA, THE REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA, THE SLOVAK REPUBLIC, THE REPUBLIC OF FINLAND AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN,

hereinafter referred to as "the Contracting Parties";

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Ok, I'm only 2 pages in on the website but why is every other country referred to by its official name but not The Republic of Ireland?

Get used to it - this is your future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm conflicted on this vote. I want to vote no but that'll probably go against doing the opposite to whatever Boyd Barrett is voting for

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

THE KINGDOM OF BELGIUM, THE REPUBLIC OF BULGARIA, THE KINGDOM OF DENMARK, THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY, THE REPUBLIC OF ESTONIA, IRELAND, THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC, THE KINGDOM OF SPAIN, THE FRENCH REPUBLIC, THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC, THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS, THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA, THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA, THE GRAND DUCHY OF LUXEMBOURG, HUNGARY, MALTA, THE KINGDOM OF THE NETHERLANDS, THE REPUBLIC OF AUSTRIA, THE REPUBLIC OF POLAND, THE PORTUGUESE REPUBLIC, ROMANIA, THE REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA, THE SLOVAK REPUBLIC, THE REPUBLIC OF FINLAND AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN,

The name of the state is Ireland. The ROI is only used to distinguish from NI, when there may be confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Get used to it - this is your future.

Ireland is the name of the country, The republic of Ireland is the "description of the state" and not its official name.

So, it's not so much "the future" as it is basic know--I'm sorry, you were being wrong and I interrupted you, how rude of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Let's clear something up, this treaty goes ahead with or without our approval. Even if we vote no we will be affected by it. So will the Brits as it happens.

If we vote no, the impact on us will be practically the same as if we voted yes. But don't expect to hear that from the government. They're going to lie and lie and lie to us. Their main interest is in maintaining our position as the prodigal boy of Europe. We were naughty but now we've learned our lesson.

If we vote yes, it will reinforce that idea that we're a cowed people prepared to accept any humiliation.

So vote no and reinforce the message sent to government after the Household Charge shambles. It will also send a message to our true masters, the German government and bankers.

The threat that if we don't vote yes, we'll be punished, is nonsense. Far from it, once they realise that we Irish have had enough of being treated like some sort of vassal state. They'll change their tune. A bit more debt forgiveness is vital for this country.

But sadly I think just enough of the Irish people will probably vote yes like all the cowards who paid their household charge.

The day will come though, what's the saying 'You can't fool all of the people all of the time'.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tomorrow evening there is webstream of a meeting in Wicklow with some great speakers at it. All about the Fiscal Treaty.

see www.stephendonnelly.ie for details and here is the live link:

http://www.stephendonnelly.ie/live/

7.30pm it starts.

Donnelly, Gurdgiev and Ross.... should be excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is the 'vote yes for jobs' slogan going to be used again in this ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Can someone please explain what happens if I vote yes and what happens if I vote no please?
    In laymans terms if you can.
    Thanks.

If you vote Yes, the treaty passes. If you vote No, we get to have another go in 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

xflyer wrote: »
    Let's clear something up, this treaty goes ahead with or without our approval. Even if we vote no we will be affected by it. So will the Brits as it happens.

If we vote no, the impact on us will be practically the same as if we voted yes. But don't expect to hear that from the government. They're going to lie and lie and lie to us. Their main interest is in maintaining our position as the prodigal boy of Europe. We were naughty but now we've learned our lesson.

If we vote yes, it will reinforce that idea that we're a cowed people prepared to accept any humiliation.

So vote no and reinforce the message sent to government after the Household Charge shambles. It will also send a message to our true masters, the German government and bankers.

The threat that if we don't vote yes. We will be punished is nonsense. Far from it, once they realise that we Irish have had enough of being treated like some sort of vassal state. They'll change their tune. A bit more debt forgiveness is vital for this country.

But sadly I think just enough of the Irish people will probably vote yes like all the cowards who paid their household charge.

The day will come though, what's the saying 'You can't fool all of the people all of the time'.

You only need to fool some of the people all of the time i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'll be voting no and no in the 2nd referendum one too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Looking at the current poll result here, they'll have to wheel out Big Phil with another raft of threats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

HigginsJ wrote: »
    You only need to fool some of the people all of the time i'm afraid
    Sadly true, worse they only need to fool 51%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

xflyer wrote: »
    Sadly true, worse they only need to fool 51%.

prob about 40% would do when you take out those who wont be bothered to vote and will end up complaining about it later **sigh :( ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

NO. FCUKING. WAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im spoiling my vote because im disillusioned with the government and the EU!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

mikeym wrote: »
    Im spoiling my vote because im disillusioned with the government and the EU!!!

I'm blasting mine with piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No more budget cuts were suffering enough.

We're not even close to suffering at the moment. Whether we vote yes or no, we've got about a decade of severe austerity coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

v=EPcWHBPYOSU

I can't see any reason to vote Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shedweller wrote: »
    It won't matter what way we vote. Peoples memory seems to be getting shorter by the day.

Tell me about it. They seem to forget things were changed for the 2nd vote last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't youse go making a holy show of us in front of europe!!

Ah jeeez. Fupping brilliant.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Only the UK use the Rep of Ireland and for years was actually a very sore point between the Irish & Uk Government to the point that the Irish government would refuse to accept official ducuments and letters from the Uk post marked ROI...funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

billybudd wrote: »
    Only the UK use the Rep of Ireland and for years was actually a very sore point between the Irish & Uk Government to the point that the Irish government would refuse to accept official ducuments and letters from the Uk post marked ROI...funny.

So that's what happened to all of my Christmas cards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

billybudd wrote: »

That's strange allright... not like them to make an error..... or is it perhaps 'correct' i.e. that we're not a republic anymore, but a 'county' of Germany or France or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am voting Yes.

Enda and his team have this country back on the right track and it would be ridiculous to deviate from that path now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh god, I remember threads going on for pages discussing the name of this state. "Ireland" is our official name (according to our constitution). "Republic of Ireland" is an official description for the state (according to the "Republic of Ireland" act). So both are correct, although "Ireland" is slightly more correct.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

To be honest, I voted Yes in this poll because I intend to vote No in the referendum but don't want them to know how I intend to vote.:)

or did I?:cool:

Advertisement