Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you want to JTAG your xbox360? (POST 248 FOR xeBuild/16197 TUT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

deleting it worked.

Helix i had tried all types of systemupdate variations. Dashlaunch is why you have to rename it to $$ as it blocks the normal folder

Glad you got it sorted, I had the same issue myself with the 13604 update not taking after a flash, only deleting the old System/Avatar data worked too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Glad you got it sorted, I had the same issue myself with the 13604 update not taking after a flash, only deleting the old System/Avatar data worked too :)

saves me running over to you panicking;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Has anyone used xeBuild? Is it connected at all to fbbuild? I think I might update the two 'tags to the latest dash

Never used it, no harm in trying and letting us know how you get on :)

Never used it, no harm in trying and letting us know how you get on :)

Haha, no harm at all to you my friend :D Harm to me if it fecks up like coolshrimps sh1te

• Advertisement

Ok, two options using xeBuild, manual command line method, & an additional gui frontend for it:

Errors using the command line method:

1499j5k.jpg

You can see there are two errors, one regards the cfldv not being set, & the other regards the dvd region.

I've no idea what the cfldv is, & I'd rather not flash the image without knowing what that is. The dvd error wouldn't bother me, strange though that fbbuild doesn't pick up on that.

Using the gui frontend:

1262v0z.jpg

You can see here that it's only the same dvd error I'm getting. The cfldv is set to 2 here, as opposed to defaulting to 1 by the commandline tool. So I can only assume its an option/flag I'm checking in the gui tool. Also the gui tool uses an existing image for some source files, so perhaps its gathered from that?

I'm a little distrustful of gui wrappers, so any help would be appreciated

Ok all sorted I think. Using 360Flash tool, you can find out the cfldv value of an existing nand dump, it's the highest number so:

2qk5tt0.jpg

Tells me my cfldv version is 2, so the gui tool obviously determined that by analysing the pre-existing nand dump I supplied it.

In the options.ini file in the 'mydata' folder of xebuild, you simply fill in the value. I also set the dvd region as 2 to eliminate the other error.

End result?

2cru26b.jpg

I'll flash it tomorrow & report the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stanleytli

This is my log, all looks OK.
    Jasper
    [HTML]==================================
    Swizzy's xeBuild GUI version 1.0
    Log Started: Friday 09-12-2011 18:07:30
    ==================================
    Using: xellreloaded for JTAG hack
    Copying Aud_clamp + Eject patched SMC... Done!
    Including dashlaunch... Done!
    Including custom dashlaunch settings (launch.ini)... Done!
    Copying nand to data dir, this may take a while... Done!

Parameters sent to xeBuild:

-noenter -t jtag -c jasper256 -d data -f 14699 -b xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    -p xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx output.bin

Building nand using xeBuild (this may take a while):

xeBuild v1.00.356
    building jtag image
    output.bin image built, info:
    Console : Jasper (big block)
    NAND size: 64MiB (system only)
    Build : JTAG
    Xell : power on console with console eject button
    CPU Key : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    1BL Key : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    CF LDV : 2
    xeBuild Finished. Have a nice day.

Removing previously built image... Done!
    Moving output file to output location, this may take a few minutes... Done!
    Cleaning data and temporary directories...Done!

****** The app has now finished! ******[/HTML]
    and Slim
    [HTML]==================================
    Swizzy's xeBuild GUI version 1.0
    Log Started: Friday 09-12-2011 18:08:45
    ==================================
    Using: xellreloaded for Glitch hack
    Including dashlaunch... Done!
    Including custom dashlaunch settings (launch.ini)... Done!
    Copying nand to data dir, this may take a while... Done!
    Checking if SMC is Glitch or Retail...
    Dumping current SMC... Done!
    Checking SMC...
    SMC is Retail!
    checking if you selected patchsmc or not...
    Force adding patchsmc!

Parameters sent to xeBuild:

-noenter -t glitch -c trinity -d data -f 14699 -b xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    -p xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -o patchsmc -a nofcrt output.bin

Building nand using xeBuild (this may take a while):

xeBuild v1.00.356
    building glitch image
    output.bin image built, info:
    Console : Trinity
    NAND size: 16MiB
    Build : Glitch
    Xell : power on console with console eject button
    CPU Key : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    1BL Key : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    CF LDV : 4
    xeBuild Finished. Have a nice day.

Removing previously built image... Done!
    Moving output file to output location, this may take a few minutes... Done!
    Cleaning data and temporary directories...Done!

****** The app has now finished! ******
    [/HTML]

Just from the looks of it, the GUI tool will patch your nand with the dashlaunch launch.ini file if selected. So if you use Dashlaunch, make sure to provide this tool with your existing launch.ini file, otherwise I'd imagine it gets overwritten in the new nand with a sample launch.ini

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stanleytli

Just updated slim & jasper 256 & 512 with new xeBuild GUI_v1.0. All is OK, no problems.
    In custom settings we can setup fans speed (in new FSD auto or 65% +) or temperature and a few other things.

• Advertisement

I supplied a preexisting nand dump, by placing it in the 'mydata' folder & renaming it to nanddump.bin & rebuilt as above. Was just looking at the log for my first build & it was missing some security credentials. Probably not needed seeing as I got no errors but I'd rather spend time on this & not have to end up heating the soldering iron.

It built the image without errors as above, & the log had a lot more info in it regards the previous build so that was good. Flashed the image there, the two usual errors about a mismatched kv & a zeropaired image, ignored & flashed and I'm on 14699.

Just the avatar updates to get now & I'll do the jasper

All sorted, ran the 14699 Avatar Update, installed Dashlaunch 2.7 & used my existing launch.ini, & FSD downloaded & installed 2.2 itself. So thats the Falcon up as current as current.

Thoughts on the process? Very miniscule change using xeBuild, just use the -? command to see the example switches etc. Otherwise its business as usual. I might document the Jasper process & throw it up here to keep the thread alive for us peasant jtag users. RGH users be damned :D (joking aside though xeBuild will generate Glitch images also, so its relevant for both hack types)

Build Instructions (Updated for latest xeBuild v1):

For simplicity you need the following:

1) Your CPU Key
    2) A copy of your nand (original or FreeBOOT) and SMC
    3) Dashboard Data (Google for "xxxxx Dashboard data" where XXXXX is the version number e.g. 12611, 13599, 14699
    4) xeBuild (xbins -> /XBOX 360/development/xeBuild/)

Getting ready
    Download xeBuild and extract it to a folder - say C:\xeBuild

Open your dashboard data zip file and extract the contents to C:\xeBuild\<version_number> e.g. for 14699.zip, extract the contents to C:\xeBuild\14699. The folder should already exist in C:\xeBuild anyway.

Edit C:\xeBuild\1blkey.txt. On the first line is a dummy key - replace it with DD88AD0C9ED669E7B56794FB68563EFA

Edit C:\xeBuild\mydata\cpukey.txt. On the first line is a dummy key - replace it with the CPU key of the console.

Extracting KV and SMC_CONFIG.bin
    Open up 360 Flash Tool v0.97 and click Settings->Options. Tick the box that says "Extract ibuild compatible files". Then open your nand and click extract on the bottom. Tick the box for 'config blocks' and 'Keyvault' and click OK. Choose a folder for these files. When extraction is done, go to that folder and there'll be a folder called freeBOOT, click into it, then into data and you will find two files - kv.bin and smc_config.bin. Copy these two files to C:\xeBuild\mydata.

Picking the right SMC (not for Xenon consoles)
    This step is very important if your console is not a xenon - flashing the wrong SMC can end your JTAG :( If the nand file you used to extract the KV.bin and SMC_CONFIG.bin files in the previous step was taken from your previous dashboard updflash.bin, or was taken from a dump you took off your currently working JTAG, then use the same steps above but check the box labelled SMC. You'll find an SMC.bin in the same place you found KV/SMC_CONFIG.bin.

If you're using your original nand (not recommended unless you know your wiring scheme), then you will need to pick an SMC for the JTAG wiring in use. You can find SMC files for the AUD_CLAMP method of wiring (the preferred choice) in this file. Remember: Using the wrong SMC file can b0rk your JTAG, to play it super safe, take a dump of your nand using Flash360, and extract the SMC from that using 360 Flash Tool

Copy smc.bin to C:\xeBuild\mydata

Setup xebuild

Place an existing nand dump into the 'mydata' folder of xeBuild. This will allow xeBuild to determine various system variables. You need to rename the dump file to 'nanddump.bin' without the quotes.

Build freeBOOT
    Open a command prompt, go to C:\xeBuild and type the following
    xebuild -t <image type> -c <model> -d mydata -f <dashboard> updflash.bin

<image> is either glitch, jtag or retail
    <model> is either xenon, falcon, zephyr, jaspersb, jasper256, jasper512 etc etc
    <mydata> is where your per-console files are, cpukey.txt etc
    <dashboard> is the name of the folder holding the dashboard files (e.g. 14699)

xeBuild will build freeBOOT as updflash.bin - copy it to USB, boot to Xellous and flash it.

Post-Install

Download the full system update - www.xbox.com/en-GB/system-update-usb
    Check the version number in the filename matches your newly installed dashbaord version.
    Extract to a USB stick (blank)
    Insert USB stick into console
    Power console on, accept the update, the console will apply and then reboot.

Links
    Previous post detailing (with pictures) the steps above, with minor differences because that was dashboard 12625
    Patched SMC files (AUD_CLAMP Wiring) for non-Xenon consoles

QUOTED & UPDATED FOR A 14699 BUILD USING XEBUILD, thanks TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »

Used this today, it worked fine on a Falcon jtag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Im trying to update my jtag but i keep geting an error when useing freeboot ive got a donner nand and my cpu key when i go to genarate frome freeboot i get "freeboot could not be created correctly"

Bump before being unstickied

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Used Enternow's quoted post,
    updated to 14717 myself just there
    for people who are extracting their SMC from a nandread flash tool will creat two .bins, Use smc_dec.bin, rename it to smc.bin. and put that into the mydata folder

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Lads have a slight off problem, its more annoying than anything else
    I updated my console to the 14717 update with the fbuild, installed the hacked software.
    then downloaded the ms update of 14717, now this is were the strange ness starts.
    I have my harddrive plugged in, which my profile on it. and have the offical ms update on the usb drive, it does the usual update
    then it loads & restarts and I do the kinect setup.
    Play the games and all works well.
    remove harddrive & connect it to my other xbox live console. I am prompted to update it(even though I had connected to live on it already with the current update)
    so strange it updates the other one and I go on live and do my usual.

when I remove the harddrive & connect it to my jtag again, the avatar is gone & it prompts that it needs a system update to get the kinect working.. so I am not sure if you understand or not but this seems to be a continous loop.
    if I boot the jtag up with no harddrive attached & usb connected I don't get prompted to do an update.
    so any ideas?

Update the JTAG to 14719 so that your Live console and JTAG are the same version :)

• Advertisement

Update the JTAG to 14719 so that your Live console and JTAG are the same version :)
    Ok I would have done that but freeboot didn't have an option/folder for 14719 I was looking for it when doing it. Will have a look on Google for a newer version.
    Does this mean now when a new dash comes out ill have to update to avoid this in future?

I would imagine so. Avatar and system information is stored on the Hard Drive. You're moving from 14719 on live kernel to 14717 on the JTAG while trying to use the same Avatar/System files; it's a recipe for disaster. If swapping drives, make sure to keep them the same version.

Anyone know when the next dash is due out? I'm thinking about updating mine to 14717 tonight, which usually means the new one will land tomorrow :rolleyes:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next dash is due out? I'm thinking about updating mine to 14717 tonight, which usually means the new one will land tomorrow :rolleyes:

I would imagine August at the very earliest, but probably September/October before Blops 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I would say the new dashboard would coincide with the release of the Demon, the current dashboard is 14719 btw ;)

Just finished this minute doing 14719 anyway, cheers lads. xebuild once again providing nothing but brilliance.

Dashlaunch curiously has gone back in revision numbers, I done my last dash with 2.33 & now for 14719 you need a revised version of 2.31 :confused:

Anyway, all is done. Flashed the new updflash, installed the avatar update, reinstalled dashlaunch & boom - FSD loads up right where it should. Quick & painless :)

Sorry to drag up an old topic.
    tried to update my jtag to 15574.
    using xbuild GUI
    I selected my orgional nand,
    build type was "freeboot(jtag)
    Jasper 512mb (I think I should have selected 16mb)
    put my cd key in
    kernal version was set to 15574
    Xell-reloaded selected(I think this was wrong)
    and I tried to select "current/retail SMC" it gave me an error to select another one, so I went with "normal SMC hack"

updated with the updflash.bin
    power cycled it, turned on via eject drive. so i think I have fubared Xelleous.
    will I have to connect it to my nand reader to put xellous back on

Lenny wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old topic.
    tried to update my jtag to 15574.
    using xbuild GUI
    I selected my orgional nand,
    build type was "freeboot(jtag)
    Jasper 512mb (I think I should have selected 16mb)
    put my cd key in
    kernal version was set to 15574
    Xell-reloaded selected(I think this was wrong)
    and I tried to select "current/retail SMC" it gave me an error to select another one, so I went with "normal SMC hack"

updated with the updflash.bin
    power cycled it, turned on via eject drive. so i think I have fubared Xelleous.
    will I have to connect it to my nand reader to put xellous back on

Sounds like a wrong switch was used somewhere in the building of the image. That happened me before with one of those GUI based things, never again. I've used the manual command line method ever since & never had a single issue.

I had to connect a nand reader to mine to flash the old image back on yeah.

If you can't boot Xellous it's back to the nand reader for you.

I have to admit to using jRunner for the last while to manage updates, quite the nifty program :D

• Advertisement

If you can't boot Xellous it's back to the nand reader for you.

I have to admit to using jRunner for the last while to manage updates, quite the nifty program :D

Whats jRunner, a BP type autobuilder?

Advertisement