Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

In yet another very informed look at Ireland where the only locations in the game for the entire country is a pub and a castle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wait until you get to that ****ing goat!
    I never had a problem with the goat at all when I first played it, guess I just lucked out. I did however walk into every trap and say George die in every possible way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was it one of the newer versions you played because I heard they made that bit a whole lot easier in later versions?

PSOne version...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, pretty sure that one wasn't fixed. Well done so, I know it was one of my first trips to gamefaqs :)

• Advertisement

it was a fluke in fairness but I'll take victory where it comes
    the-very-best-of-the-success-kid-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Samurai Shodown 3 on the Saturn. Out of the 6 bundled games with the Saturn it's the one Im enjoying the most. Dragonball is wtf am I doing here and the Shinobi cut scenes are truely horrific.
    Cannot get vampire saviour to play at all. It needs a 4mb card and I have one but it just will not play. I get a screen I cannot read after I put it in. It's mentioning the card as '4mb' is in green twice on the screen but no amount of button pressing gets me anywhere.
    Does it need a specific capcom ram cart?
    Overall happy so far and can't wait to get some more games. Just purchased Guardian Heroes from an Irish seller on eBay, so should have it soon. Looks brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is it one of those 4-in-1 carts or just a RAM one?

The issue is either you've a faulty RAM cart or else the contacts are dirty.

If it's a 4-in-1 and the other functions are working then I'd say there's something faulty with the RAM part. Have you any other games to test it?

If it's just a RAM cart and it's not being detected, then I'd try giving it a good clean with some rubbing alcohol.

Actually either way give it a good clean and see if it helps.

It's just a ram cart. I'll try that.

Master of the Universe

If it is faulty then just use it as a good reason to upgrade to a 4-in-1 cart. They're a must have for the Saturn ;)

• Advertisement

Still playing at Streetfighter 2 Turbo Hyper fighting on CPS1. Man that AI is some of the cheapest, cheesiest, breaking all the rules BS i've seen in any game, ever.

I'm playing for high scores at the moment, and the only way i can consistently do well is if i spam the sh*t out of all the little glitches and exploits against the computer. It works, but every now and again, it feels like the AI gets p*ssed off with me, and just goes ape with the cheapness.

I spent 10 continues yesterday on the last 4 bosses, which I'd normally breeze through. It just felt like they were all in a bad mood and didn't want to let me win no matter what:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember having to mod Retr0's 4-in-1 cart for a specific game to work, could it have been Vampire Saviour??

Master of the Universe

I've never heard of that mod, what did you have to do with the cart?

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've never heard of that mod, what did you have to do with the cart?

Yep found it there again, if you have an older 4-1 you need to mod it. Very easy mod, joining two points on the board basically. It will work then with Vampire Saviour

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/4MBRAM-mod.htm

You only have to do that with older 4 in 1's and it's only Capcom 4MB games that don't work, 1MB games work fine. I'm pretty sure only Capcom supported the 4MB expansion, all Neo Geo games used the 1MB cart except KoF '94 which had a special 1MB cart that contained all the stage backgrounds and was only for use with KoF '94.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You only have to do that with older 4 in 1's and it's only Capcom 4MB games that don't work, 1MB games work fine. I'm pretty sure only Capcom supported the 4MB expansion, all Neo Geo games used the 1MB cart except KoF '94 which had a special 1MB cart that contained all the stage backgrounds and was only for use with KoF '94.

Did you try your one out after the mod with VS?

Still not, place is a mess at the moment. I might break the saturn out at the weekend, too busy at the moment with my play to even play any games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've got Vampire Saviour and the 'standard' 4 Meg cart, haven't gotten a chance to try it yet but will give it a shot over the weekend and see.

ghostchant wrote: »
    I've got Vampire Saviour and the 'standard' 4 Meg cart, haven't gotten a chance to try it yet but will give it a shot over the weekend and see.

Well they're all 'standard', it just depends on how old the cart is :)
    [SIZE=-1]All cards shipped prior to 04.16.1998 will require this mod. New 4-in-1 cards shipped from NCS after the above date will have the mod implemented.
    [/SIZE]

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well they're all 'standard', it just depends on how old the cart is :)

Sorry by 'standard' I meant 'official', as in the plain old 4Meg cart that shipped with the games originally. (The same one OwaynOTT got with his Saturn).
    From reading other forums a problem some people seem to be having is with the cart slot itself rather than the cart.

• Advertisement

Sorry by 'standard' I meant 'official', as in the plain old 4Meg cart that shipped with the games originally. (The same one OwaynOTT got with his Saturn).

As in an unaltered state? Depending on how old that cart is, will determine if it'll work with VS. The mod is easy to make it 100% compatible though

As in an unaltered state? Depending on how old that cart is, will determine if it'll work with VS. The mod is easy to make it 100% compatible though

The type of cart I have is the one that shipped with Vampire Saviour originally. It's not a 4-in-1 cart. As in this fella:

VampireSavior-1.jpg

The type of cart I have is the one that shipped with Vampire Saviour originally. It's not a 4-in-1 cart.

Ah I see, then what did you mean you will 'try it & see'? If it shipped with it, then surely it works?

Ah I see, then what did you mean you will 'try it & see'? If it shipped with it, then surely it works?

It's the same cart OwaynOTT is having problems with. If I get the same error screen it could be informative. As I said some people have had problems getting them to work even with that, due to either dodgy carts or dodgy cart slots.

It's the same cart OwaynOTT is having problems with. If I get the same error screen it could be informative. As I said some people have had problems getting them to work even with that, due to either dodgy carts or dodgy cart slots.

Ah I thought he had the 4 in 1, so this is just a RAM expansion cart that ships with the game & some people are having issues with?

Ah I thought he had the 4 in 1, so this is just a RAM expansion cart that ships with the game & some people are having issues with?

Yeah, specifically this guy who has the exact same issue. Mentions something about potential issues with the official cart, not sure if that's true so thought it'd be worth checking myself.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?50325-Vampire-Savior-on-Import-Saturn-with-4MB-ram-cart

Actually the cartridge slots on saturns are notoriously bad. If you are inserting different cartridges in them then the metal wears down and eventually you'll have trouble with the saturn reading carts.

Again this is another reason why you should have a 4 in 1. Put it in the cart slot, if it works you'll never have to remove it. In fact you have absolutely no reason not to have a 4 in 1 cart. It's pretty much essential for a Saturn.

I ought to get around to it, if only for playing imports but I doubt I'll be playing non-Japanese games on it anyway to be honest. Mainly plan on using the Saturn for shmups/fighters.

I really should pick one up too.

• Advertisement

It won't work! 4 in 1 cart coming my way

Advertisement