Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Biggins wrote: »
    So he is NOT refusing to pay for services on his home then, is that what your telling us?

I'm telling you that they're not taxes (as you claimed), and that they're not in any way comparable with the household charge (a tax, where the revenue goes to local authority funding). Maybe he's in arrears with his UPC too, but that wouldn't be a tax either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

So he is NOT refusing to pay for services to his home then, is that what your telling us?

What exactly is it that you don't understand about the difference between a private company and a national government?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

So he is NOT refusing to pay for services to his home then, is that what your telling us?
    Phil Hogan is NOT refusing to pay taxes on his home. Its a service charge to the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Phil Hogan is NOT refusing to pay taxes on his home. Its a service charge to the management company.

SAME DIFFERENCE:)

phil1nj wrote: »
    The hypocrisy (snigger) of that man! He (big Phil Hogan now) most likely signed a contract with the private holiday home company (a legally binding document) and then, based on what was reported, decided not to pay because he wasn't happy with the services provided. It now looks like rather than go down the legal route of courts etc and what have you he took it upon himself to breach the terms of that contract , withhold payment and therefore has criminalized himself by breaching the terms of his contract, his legally binding (as in lawful) contract. You would never see that happening in this country....oh no wait hang on...:D

A contract is subject to mutual agreement - the service company might well be in breach of the terms of the contract - we just don't know. The household charge however doesn't require the agreement of the taxed individual - breach of contract isn't a defence for non-payment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

So I chose my words wrong - I STAND CORRECTED AND RIGHTLY SO!

The facts still applies:

HE IS REFUSING TO PAY HIMSELF, FOR SERVICES TO HIS OWN HOME!
    SERVICES THAT UNDER ANY TORT AND CONSUMER LAW OF USING SUCH, THE USER IS LEGALLY OBLIGED TO PAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

They are charges on his home there - go spin the wordplay elsewhere.
    He's refusing to pay for services that his household is using - end of story!
    Why did you represent this private service charge as a tax, biggins?
    Dishonest spinning on your part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

He is refusing to pay management fees, not really the same as tax or a fee to local government.
    "Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with the service?" he asked.

A Quote from P hogan, can I use this line when I refuse to pay?

The facts still applies:

SERVICES THAT UNDER ANY TORT AND CONSUMER LAW OF USING SUCH, THE USER IS LEGALLY OBLIGED TO PAY.

Unless the supplier is, themselves, in breach of contract. Do you know they they aren't?

The facts still applies:

Specifically which law are you saying he is breaking?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dvpower wrote: »
    Why did you represent this private service charge as a tax, biggins?
    Dishonest spinning on your part?

Oh sweet lord jesus,I just spilled my tea laughing at what you have said there.

ROFL at that comment,in light of all your posts here.

Specifically which law are you saying he is breaking?

Are you for real? You want to turn this debate into legal points of consumer law?
    Strawman argument and a totally stupid question to boot. Kop yourself on.
    Go try divert the current fact that he won't cough up for services he entitled to pay, elsewhere.

alastair wrote: »
    Unless the supplier is, themselves, in breach of contract. Do you know they they aren't?
    If a company is in breach - its up to the consumer to issue court proceedings isn't it?
    Not just refuse to pay? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

A contract is subject to mutual agreement - the service company might well be in breach of the terms of the contract - we just don't know. The household charge however doesn't require the agreement of the taxed individual - breach of contract isn't a defence for non-payment.

You may be right. I may be too. But the story states that he wan't happy with the services provided. Not that the services weren't provided so going by this I can only assume that Mr. P Hogan feels he has a genuine issue and that the terms of the contract weren't honored. Why didn't he get the courts or some legal folk involved rather than crimilize himself by withholding payment? Sends out the wrong message to all those patriotic folks on this island.

Also, it's possible, just possible that this is an April Fools day prank. So I'm going to keep the tone just light enough so as not to piss anybody off :)

So how come a person living in Adamstown has to pay 100 euro charge then??

Adamstown is a privately managed estate where the residents pay a set annual fee for the upkeep of their estate.

I love how the same 2 members here are racing in here to defend Phil Hogan at all costs (or lack of 4,300 euro in costs).

Show your true colours boys.

Phil Hogan is a crook,end of.

Are you for real? You want to turn this debate into legal points of consumer law?
    Go try divert the current fact that he won't cough up for services he entitled to pay, elsewhere.
    Why do you say he is 'entitled' to pay these charges.? My reading of the story is that he is in dispute with the service provider.

Do you have some inside information?

It's an entitlement?

The straw man argument is to equate a dispute between a customer and a private company with evading taxation. You've no idea if the company involved were meeting their contractual obligations or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

so does anyone know how many have paid, is it 800k as reported?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    so does anyone know how many have paid, is it 800k as reported?

No one knows,and if they say they do,well they they are talking out of their ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

paddy147 wrote: »

Adamstown is a privately managed estate where the residents pay a set annual fee for the upkeep of their estate.

I love how the same 2 members here are racing in here to defend Phil Hogan at all costs (or lack of 4,300 euro in costs).

Show your true colours boys.

Phil Hogan is a crook,end of.

I wouldnt be surprised if they were on his payroll.

Because the boundaries of South Dublin County Council extend beyond the walls of your estate? Just a wild guess.

• Advertisement

Biggins, you do post an awful lot of rubbish without thinking it through.

This is a private dispute that we don't know the details of. If it were anyone else in dispute with their management company and they simply paid up, they would be called sheep around here.

LOL

The spin and bull schite continues LOL

FACT.
    He own a home.

FACT
    He uses utilities there.

FACT
    His home has charges upon it for those services.

FACT
    He is refusing to pay for those services.

....Let the FG spin and bullschite continue upon these facts.

It's an entitlement?

The straw man argument is to equate a dispute between a customer and a private company with evading taxation. You've no idea if the company involved were meeting their contractual obligations or not.

Do you and DV Power have a litttle thing going on behind the scenes there??.

The amount of times you have thanked each other is unreal.

And you are the only ones to thank each others postings.

And the only ones here to keep on defending Phil Hogan.

Funny eh??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

It's an entitlement?

Non payment of fees to a service provider.
    Non payment of a tax to the government.

Common factor - non payment (just a guess).

Compelling stuff. The point being?

I didn't pay!

Why!

Because the money would have been used to fill the hole left after bailing the bankers, that's why.

Yes, I know that they'll get it eventually, but this is my way of displaying my displeasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No one knows,and if they say they do,well they they are talking out of their ar5e.

are these figures guestimates then? or put out by the gov.

surely they'll be able to get official figures

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

From my point of view the scary thing about this story if it's true is the sheer stupidity from the man involved. Could he not see that his mon payment was going to be an issue given what's going on in his own country. As I said if true scarily stupid ....

The tax is legally payable.
    The service charge is in dispute.

• Advertisement

Biggins, you do post an awful lot of rubbish without thinking it through.

This is a private dispute that we don't know the details of. If it were anyone else in dispute with their management company and they simply paid up, they would be called sheep around here.

I would expect anyone that has a problem with a service, would address the situation LEGALLY in a court - ESPECIALLY if they were a government minister.

You know - one of those people that is supposed to lead by example?

The man is a two faced idiot!

He wants the public to cough up for services - that he himself is refusing to pay elsewhere because he himself has a argument too over!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement