Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

did we all do the same paper?
    Yep to the best of my knowledge we all did the same paper , how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Dunner1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, did the msap today in Dublin, feel like I made a total mess of the whole thing, how did everyone get on ?

THought it was tough enough. The times for the essays were pretty short and the multiple choice were hard enough going. What did you find most difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sul

I also took the exam today in Dublin. I found the essays an absolute nightmare!! I only managed about 2 pages for each and it was very basic writing. My writing was also appalling! I think it is unfair the little time they allocate. They could at least give 10 minutes for you to write down any ideas you may have. 30 minutes for an essay is a stretch.
    On the other hand I thought the multiple choice were a breeze. The only one I really stumbled on was the risk question, the rest were grand. I thought they were much easier to understand than the practise questions. I could interpret them just fine so im hoping that the multiple choice section will be good enough to carry both.
    I dont think any of it is set out to catch you out though. I think they just want to see can you understand and put across your point in basic English.
    Good luck to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 iwantadonkey

Yep to the best of my knowledge we all did the same paper , how did you get on?

oh man i struggled with the second part.:( how about you? i think if there was even a ten minute break between the sections it would have helped. i just couldnt focus.
    i suppose we should just all stay calm until we get the results.:o

Hey guys, did the msap today in Dublin, feel like I made a total mess of the whole thing, how did everyone get on ?

THought it was tough enough. The times for the essays were pretty short and the multiple choice were hard enough going. What did you find most difficult?
    Managed to get both essays finished only did a page and three quarters for each one just seemed to really struggle the question with shakesphere really threw me and knocked my confidence big time.

• Advertisement

@Dunner1, i know that was a tough one along with some of the others. Still I suppose it's out of our hands now - fingers crossed eh :o

@Dunner1, i know that was a tough one along with some of the others. Still I suppose it's out of our hands now - fingers crossed eh :o
    Yep hope u do well and get the course that u want.

Yep hope u do well and get the course that u want.

Thanks, same to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SolasNaGreine

Hi just found this thread. Thought the real exam was more difficult than the practise exam too. Think it's a disgrace that the practise run isn't a true reflection of the exam on the day, even so much as the extra units (9 on the practise - 11 on the actual test).

Haven't a clue how well I did. Essays didn't seem too bad and being honest I was more worried about the essays than I was the comprehension side of things. Did the MSAP practise test and at least 20 practise tests with Kaplan SAT GAMSAT and others that I found on the internet ... the difference in difficulty was huge if you ask me. Wish I was in America!!!!!

Almost 4 weeks have passed now and I'm absolutely sick to the stomach, I don't believe I have ever felt so sick in all my life. 2 weeks to go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I did this last year, and for everyone who did it, I thought the multiple choice part was bizzare and very difficult, and the essay was just pure waffle, but I just mainly focused on trying to structure it properly rather than worry about the content.

But anyway, I ended up doing quite well in it, despite all the worry and literally not having a clue on whether I got everything wrong or what, so my advice would be don't worry and if you're worried, don't be, you probably did grand, it's just one of the biggest melt the head things you'll ever do....

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Jackass and congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

I, for one, know that I absolutely bombed this thing. Essays were a total shambles, got a page and a half of poorly structured crap down for one and two pages of slightly better content, but even worse structure down for the other. As for the multiple choice..meh, could go either way. That axis graph question towards the end was hilarious guesswork though! Am I correct in thinking we should be getting results around the end of this month/ very early april?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Well on the MSAP site it says don't start emailing them about results until the beginning of April, which suggests that they will be available by then.

good stuff. Does anyone know if a poor MSAP result automatically disqualifies you from consideration? Just wondering whether they'd also take a well written personal statement into account or is the MSAP the be all and end all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I know that if you get a percentile less than thirty they don't give you a result. It just says less than 30th percentile. If MSAP is the only thing being considered I'd doubt a result like that would get someone in.

For my course I focused on making a solid personal statement that would stand out. My results were in the 69th percentile. I was disappointed with this as I thought I need much higher to get into UCD. But they obviously took my personal statement into consideration as I got in.

I wouldn't loose hope if you're not happy with your result, if you put in a good personal statement you're still in with a shot.

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

good stuff. Does anyone know if a poor MSAP result automatically disqualifies you from consideration? Just wondering whether they'd also take a well written personal statement into account or is the MSAP the be all and end all?

I wouldn't worry too much about the results. I did the MSAP a couple of years ago and am now in 2nd year of college. The fact that you even knew that your structure was poor puts you in a better position than I was in. I didn't know how to write an essay. I took a course when I started college but I'm still learning.

Oh I did so bad in the essay part that I didn't get a percentile, just told bottom 30%. I did however do well in the other part which brought my score up but I don't think that every course in every college takes much notice of the MSAP so don't worry too much. It's done now so nothing you can do about it.

It's usually around the end of March from what I can gather from other years.

For the majority of courses the result isn't the be end of all end, interviews, experience and previous education are all big factors in the decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

got results jsut there but says n/a for score 3? what was score 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

My scores:

Score 1 131 Score 2 139 Score 3 n/a Overall 135

Not sure what it means so will have to look it up. Fortunately for me it's irrelevant as I've been offered a place on an MA course... However unfortunately for me I still have to pass the qualifying exam for that.

I think score 3 will be the percentile once they have worked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

MSAP results are in! Do we get an email from Acer as well or do we have to work out the percentage ourselves? Hard to know without the range- is it defo scaled to 150?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spidersthrash

Azures wrote: »
    MSAP results are in! Do we get an email from Acer as well or do we have to work out the percentage ourselves? Hard to know without the range- is it defo scaled to 150?
    Yeah, I'm wondering that myself.

I got Score 1 152, Score 2 121 with an Overall of 137, but I thought they were scored out of 150, so I'm quite confused about the first one!

Typical stuff like; this is like giving you your leaving results but no way of calcuating your points...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ChipVan

i received an overall of 133...is there any way of finding the percentage?

i've applied for arts in ucc; i'm hoping that should be enough, but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

SCORE 1 91
    SCORE 2 102
    OVERALL 97

This is my score i dunno what the heck it means tho :confused:

Hi all

I got an overall score of 108 does anybody know if they send you the % or if you have to email them?

Also in my excitment I rang UCD and the woman there said anything over 100 is pretty good and will probably be accepted. So fingers crossed!

I'm pretty happy with my result it seems fairly average but i wasn't expecting anything more especially when I think back to the absolute waffle I had written for the first essay:eek:...but it seems i didn't do too bad!

Hope everyone else is happy :)

score one 126, score two 153, overall 140....haven't a breeze what it means though, and no sign of a percentile.well that was worth the wait...

Got an overall of 132, not a clue what that means. WTF did they release them on CAO before MSAP so that we can understand the scoring? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Your score is based on the mean of all results. 50 being the lowest possible score, 150 being the highest possible score. So if you scored 100 you are exactly average from everyone who sat the exam. If you scored above 100 you got an above average (and the higher the more above average obviously) and vice versa.

Score 3 N/A just ignore, it's only if there's 3 parts to the exam, which there isn't in this one.

It doesn't work on % by the way, it's format of scoring is based solely on comparrison to every other student, so % is entirely irrelevant.

EDIT I see some people scored above 150, I don't know what that's about, but the above was definitely how it worked last year. Maybe check the website for information on scoring or google msap and look for information, it's a global system of testing.

Sorry to ask but when do they give you the percentage? I know it probably doesn't account for much but would still like to know.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Anyone know how to contact acer? I know they say they wont recheck but my boyfriend apparently got 0 for score 2 & that can't be right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement