Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSAP!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spidersthrash

Azures wrote: »
    MSAP results are in! Do we get an email from Acer as well or do we have to work out the percentage ourselves? Hard to know without the range- is it defo scaled to 150?
    Yeah, I'm wondering that myself.

I got Score 1 152, Score 2 121 with an Overall of 137, but I thought they were scored out of 150, so I'm quite confused about the first one!

Typical stuff like; this is like giving you your leaving results but no way of calcuating your points...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ChipVan

i received an overall of 133...is there any way of finding the percentage?

i've applied for arts in ucc; i'm hoping that should be enough, but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

SCORE 1 91
    SCORE 2 102
    OVERALL 97

This is my score i dunno what the heck it means tho :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sul

Hi all

I got an overall score of 108 does anybody know if they send you the % or if you have to email them?

Also in my excitment I rang UCD and the woman there said anything over 100 is pretty good and will probably be accepted. So fingers crossed!

I'm pretty happy with my result it seems fairly average but i wasn't expecting anything more especially when I think back to the absolute waffle I had written for the first essay:eek:...but it seems i didn't do too bad!

Hope everyone else is happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

score one 126, score two 153, overall 140....haven't a breeze what it means though, and no sign of a percentile.well that was worth the wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Got an overall of 132, not a clue what that means. WTF did they release them on CAO before MSAP so that we can understand the scoring? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Your score is based on the mean of all results. 50 being the lowest possible score, 150 being the highest possible score. So if you scored 100 you are exactly average from everyone who sat the exam. If you scored above 100 you got an above average (and the higher the more above average obviously) and vice versa.

Score 3 N/A just ignore, it's only if there's 3 parts to the exam, which there isn't in this one.

It doesn't work on % by the way, it's format of scoring is based solely on comparrison to every other student, so % is entirely irrelevant.

EDIT I see some people scored above 150, I don't know what that's about, but the above was definitely how it worked last year. Maybe check the website for information on scoring or google msap and look for information, it's a global system of testing.

Sorry to ask but when do they give you the percentage? I know it probably doesn't account for much but would still like to know.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Anyone know how to contact acer? I know they say they wont recheck but my boyfriend apparently got 0 for score 2 & that can't be right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

105 Score 1, 114 Score 2, Overall 110. I see others here did a good deal better.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

110 and 125 for 118 overall am i likely to even get an interview for a place on a psychology course?

sara1 wrote: »

I'd say your best bet would be to contact the admissions office. Good luck!

• Advertisement

sara1 wrote: »

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poly.anna

I have mine and no idea why we don't get the percentile with them before releasing them. But as the percentile is calculated against the performance of everyone else who took the MSAP maybe they stagger it to give a general idea of how you did individually and then as within a ratio. I got 121 , I am guessing that it average as I felt I totally bombed it on the day due to exhaustion and sleep deprivation for a week :) My son and I had both been home sick with Flu tonsillitis and hospital stays and I could have put my head on the desk and slept - exam nerves kept me awake if resembling something like a shreddie wheat. But it seems a little strange - the two sections are so different in terms of measuring acumen intelligence and ability. You may write a very weak essay on the single topics given but perform well in some of the multiple choice and learn skills for writing essays over the course of a degree very adequately - or not need to for what you do ... hmmm . good luck everyone

Judging from the results coming through - scores of 100-120 will be the average. the first 80% would score up to this and the rest over this mark to be in top 20%...? Scores of 120 = 80% but against the total exam performance I think it will be a low percentile, if there is a substantial scoring higher than this .I have got two interviews for college of my choice but now this is in I wonder if it will affect my chance . I have two interviews for April and essay to write already based on application and personal statement. 10 days to prepare...I am spending it reading over the course content and selecting material to prepare for a strong interview discussion of the course and how I can use it as a pathway for what I have been doing ...but v nervous as I put most of my choices to one University College and NUI as a second, only. I chose my college on accessibility as much as course content as its an issue. Really hope I get it .

Poly.anna wrote: »
    Judging from the results coming through - scores of 100-120 will be the average.

Em I think its a bit early to be making an assumption on what the average is very little info and people might be disinclined to post results if they felt they have not performed very well. Also 121 was in the top 9 % in 2009 irrc

• Advertisement

score one 126, score two 153, overall 140....haven't a breeze what it means though, and no sign of a percentile.well that was worth the wait...

I think its safe to say you've done okay if you wanted extra high percentile;)

steoin wrote: »
    Em I think its a bit early to be making an assumption on what the average is very little info and people might be disinclined to post results if they felt they have not performed very well. Also 121 was in the top 9 % in 2009 irrc
    Well it seems an okay average but I hoped to get higher. But its not the definitive - yes :)

Poly.anna wrote: »
    Well it seems an okay average but I hoped to get higher. But its not the definitive - yes :)

Yea I know exactly what you mean, tbh i hope that 121 is not in the top 10% as im pretty close and missing it by that much would be quite frustrating.

I was under the impression that once you scored above 40% you would get an interview and my preparation consisted of glancing over the booklet on the bus to cork and had about 3 hours sleep which i feel would have given me those extra few marks but enough excuses time to start looking at flights for Aus and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 iwantadonkey

Just got the email from MSAP there, i got an 86 overall percentile.:)
    im really happy with that.

Ya just got mine too

section1 110 60th percentile
    Section 2 125 91st percentile

overall 118 and 81st percentile

Disappointed as from what i have gather it rules me out of contention for a place in psychology as i had my heart set on studying it.
    But on the flip side if it was closer i think i would have been more disappointed with my preparation or lack of it but it was never going to move me up the required amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

section 1 87th percentile, section 2 100th percentile. overall 98th percentile.
    And just found out there's no interview for the course I had to sit this for, so all in all a good start to the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

I'm happy with my results- hoping I'll get my first choice. A good Monday morning! Got to wait until July now... Good luck to everyone else!

95th Percentile overall. Surprised but really pleased - hoping too I'll get my first choice. Good luck to everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

Hi just wondering if any one has some concrete facts on what scores allowed entrance to all the arts courses last year for example if it 70 percentile for social science or 80 percentile for psychology etc...

some facts would be great cause i can imagine some people are reading this today and seeing all the great scores and panicking.also just wondering if anyone has the approx amount of people who sat the msap this year ,,cheers:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

wow just read mine there i had no idea my essay skills were so bad!!! i got below 30 percentile :( and 55 on the critical reasoning. my essays really let me down :( my overall percentile was 35. good bye college place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

wow just read mine there i had no idea my essay skills were so bad!!! i got below 30 percentile :( and 55 on the critical reasoning. my essays really let me down :( my overall percentile was 35. good bye college place
    Sorry guys where do u find out your percentile anybody hear anything from ucc?

@Dunner
    Msap should have sent you and email with a link to them. Check your junk mail too. You need your exam number to access them too.

Sul wrote: »
    @Dunner
    Msap should have sent you and email with a link to them. Check your junk mail too. You need your exam number to access them too.
    Cool, just checked e-mail but nothing about the Msap percentile!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

I contacted UCC admissions today and they said that my percentile of 75% and average of 114 waould have been enough to get first place social science or phys ed. on last years scores.I also check the cao statistics and the application on the cao is down around 5 thousand on last year and 590 in arts alone. also taking into account that I reckon this years test was harder I reckon maybe the scores might be a little lower this year ....OR AM I OVER OPTIMISTIC:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

So just for reference:

My scores were:
    Section 1: 131/ 91
    Written English

Section 2: 139 / 98
    Critical Reasoning

Overall scaled score = 135

Overall Percentile 96

what did you apply for sarah 1

• Advertisement

id say your good with that score,definately be good enough to read your personal statemet id say.You should email there admissions office and ask them how you would have got on in last years admissions with that score,they should give you an idea.judging by what UCC said that 75 percentile was good enough for social science last year where they take roughly 20 matures in youd have to think that 64percentile would have got you into arts where they take 115 matures.also the applications are down on the arts this year and up on the sciences,probably scare mongering of the career guidance councilors to blame for that

it would be very interesting to know if anybody had an idea of how many people actually sit this test every year on average.

PS to sarah 1 ,the arts course is probably the easiest of all to get into because of the sheer numbers they take so id definately think youll be grand, youd be in troulble all right if you had anything alse as number 1 as social work has the next highest intake around 30 matures and they must have experience followed by social science 20 childhood studies 15 phys ed 10 and psychology 5,roughly

I was in touch with admissions in UCD and was told that anything over 100 will definitely be considered for Arts. Ive applied for Arts there and in NUI Galway so fingers crossed I have enough in 108 points. I dont think % has much to do with it. I think it just gives you a rough idea of how well you did compared to everyone else. I sat the exam in Dublin and there was about 3 to 4 hundred people there. I think there was 3 centres so maybe 1200 or 1300 people did the exam? Thats my estimate anyway I could be completely wrong!!
    Anyway its out of my hands now so just going to hope for the best. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheOnion

Aquila, the MSAP (Mature Student Access Pathway) is an exam that mature students are required to sit in order to gain entry to certain universities in Ireland.

It's a 2 part exam. The first section requires you to write 2 short essays in response to prompts. The second section is a series of multiple choice questions.

• Advertisement

TheOnion wrote: »
    I sat the exam in Cork and I'm awful at gauging amounts of people or distances, but I reckon there were about 140ish people there....so sounds like there was only 550-700 people doing the test nationwide?

I'm delighted with my result anyway and can't wait for UCC in September :) yeeha! Such a relief to know my brains are still in working order!

Best of luck to everybody anyway :) and I reckon there will be a lot of happy campers if there were so few of us taking the test this year, and therefore less competition for the places available :)

There were 4 test centers in Cork

Sorry to hear that Badger- it's a tough process! I did a part time diploma to get my essays and skills up to speed, it paid off for me in the MSAP... Don't give up on your dreams, just keep swimmin' and find another way!

Aquila wrote: »
    What kind of essays are you asked to write?
    2 thirty min essays- one on a 'public affairs' topic, such as censorship, environmental rights, nothing you can study, just got to give arguments for and against the topic and present your own thoughts. 2nd is a personal opinion , this year it was about heroes and people you admire, the sample test was on friendship. It's not the topics but how you approach it. The second hour is a series of passages: literature, social sciences, environmental etc with multiple choice questions on comprehension and reasoning, there isn't much time to get through it so you have about a minute per passage. Then you have to stress for 6 weeks for results! I think it's a better process than just an application form though, as it's based on aptitude and ability, not just an interview or an admissions tutor reading an application form and shortlisting based on unknown criteria.

hi guys,doing a project for college, could you please hit the link and fill in the questionnaire, thanks, http://obsurvey.com/s2.aspx?id=35F100E5-5195-43F5-B69B-5D0F55A9E38E

Dunner1 wrote: »
    hi guys,doing a project for college, could you please hit the link and fill in the questionnaire, thanks, http://obsurvey.com/s2.aspx?id=35F100E5-5195-43F5-B69B-5D0F55A9E38E

Have you ok'd it with the mods ? If not it might cause you some hassle also I feel you should create a seperate thread for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement