Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bartelby

Peony Court: If you are a vegetarian you have got to get the chilli broccoli, It is amazing I have never found anything like it in any other chinese. Its on the sit in menu but I ask for it takeaway every week and there is no problem. It is delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Has anybody eaten in the new italian Marco polo?The place looks lovely inside havent heard any reviews on the place yet.

I was there a few weeks ago. Lovely food (the bruschetta is amazing) and probably the friendliest staff in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Been to Marco Polo twice now - very good each time.
    I was there a few weeks ago. Lovely food (the bruschetta is amazing) and probably the friendliest staff in Limerick.

Makes a big change from the earlier reviews the place had been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

got to get more adventurous on eatting out!have been stuck in a rut between texas steakout and the zweton both lovely but a change is good get sick of the same things. Will bite the bullet and go to marco polo . tried luigi malones years ago really a horrible restaurant so id say Marco polo is a welcome change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jack.bones

scan reading these posts, i'm surprised nobody's mentioned the italian place, olio + farina on little catherine street. Admittedly i live over in shannon and so i've only visited a couple of times, but the staff were friendly and the food was quality (I had pansotti in walnut sauce the last time i was in about 3 months ago). Checked out trip advisor when i saw 0+F was conspicuous by it absence on boards, and it seems to have good reviews overall. Anyone have any thoughts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Quick snack at reasonable prices IsIs is very good, decent portions and always seems to have a few people in it. Came across it by accident a few months back been in 3 times since and very nice everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Quick snack at reasonable prices IsIs is very good, decent portions and always seems to have a few people in it. Came across it by accident a few months back been in 3 times since and very nice everytime.

And where is this Isis place you came across? You know so the rest of us may find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

A thread on Limerick so Limerick! Near Meteor store on William Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

source wrote: »
    And where is this Isis place you came across? You know so the rest of us may find it.

http://www.isislimerick.com/

I eat there at-least once a week. Kebabs are unbelievable.

jack.bones wrote: »
    scan reading these posts, i'm surprised nobody's mentioned the italian place, olio + farina on little catherine street. Admittedly i live over in shannon and so i've only visited a couple of times, but the staff were friendly and the food was quality (I had pansotti in walnut sauce the last time i was in about 3 months ago). Checked out trip advisor when i saw 0+F was conspicuous by it absence on boards, and it seems to have good reviews overall. Anyone have any thoughts??

What size are the portions there? Is it expensive?

• Advertisement

very good sized portions, came to about €25 for me and the mrs. I went for the pansotti, while she had the dish of the day, which was (if i remember right) €6.50 for a fuselli pasta dish with a "rich" (her words) sauce and olives. Chuck in a couple of glasses of wine and a round of coffees after, and now I think about its a pretty fair price for Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

So didnt get to Marco polo went to El Chivo instead where the Olive branch used to be.Didnt even know it had closed!but anyway saw a mexican and italian menu on the window and said I would try it.Was really nice had a mexican pizza an spicy meatballs.Good price nice atmosphere over all was worth going for a visit.Something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Was in Copper & Spice in the Cornmarket on Friday for the first time, enjoyed the meal immensely and although we outstayed our welcome for quite a while we weren't pushed out the door (there was another free table so I'm sure that helped)

very good sized portions, came to about €25 for me and the mrs. I went for the pansotti, while she had the dish of the day, which was (if i remember right) €6.50 for a fuselli pasta dish with a "rich" (her words) sauce and olives. Chuck in a couple of glasses of wine and a round of coffees after, and now I think about its a pretty fair price for Limerick!

I had the lunch special there recently following your post. While it was delicious the portion was far from good sized. Had to go to shop on the way back to work to fill up.

@itsdacraic

I feel guilty now! Well at least the quality of the food was okay, if not the quantity. Was it some sort of lunch time menu perhaps? I guess portions are pretty subjective, but IMHO are still great :)

JB

@itsdacraic

I feel guilty now! Well at least the quality of the food was okay, if not the quantity. Was it some sort of lunch time menu perhaps? I guess portions are pretty subjective, but IMHO are still great :)

JB

No worries, as I said the food was top notch, and again portions are subjective, especially when it comes to something like pasta. I'd have no hesitation going in there again for lunch when I wasn't going to be relying on it as my main meal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Was in Copper & Spice in the Cornmarket on Friday for the first time, enjoyed the meal immensely and although we outstayed our welcome for quite a while we weren't pushed out the door (there was another free table so I'm sure that helped)

big +1 on Copper and Spice, they're amazing! Great value, good portion sizes and lovely staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone know if the Black Fig is open this weekend??

Saw an add in the Post yesterday and it looks like it might be changing owners and turning into carvery-slop style "restaurant"? :(

Cartman78 wrote: »

Saw an add in the Post yesterday and it looks like it might be changing owners and turning into carvery-slop style "restaurant"? :(

Had lunch there once and it was pretty much standard carvery fare I got so didn't think it'll make any difference. That said done properly there is probably a demand for decent carvery in the city center. Clohessys is the only place doing decent and reasonably priced carvery at the moment (that I know of).

Since I've been working in Limerick a lot more the past month I've been disappointed with the range of options for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Had lunch there once and it was pretty much standard carvery fare I got so didn't think it'll make any difference. That said done properly there is probably a demand for decent carvery in the city center. Clohessys is the only place doing decent and reasonably priced carvery at the moment (that I know of).

Since I've been working in Limerick a lot more the past month I've been disappointed with the range of options for lunch.

The Black Fig isn't carvery food - anytime I've eaten there the food has been freshly prepared.

Carvery food is cooked hours (or days in some places ;)) in advance and then sits for hours under heated lights before being plopped out on your plate.

• Advertisement

The Black Fig isn't carvery food - anytime I've eaten there the food has been freshly prepared.

Carvery food is cooked hours (or days in some places ;)) in advance and then sits for hours under heated lights before being plopped out on your plate.

Well the dry piece of chicken, wrapped in an equally dry rasher that Iwas served had all the hall marks of sitting under a lamp for an hour, hence my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Souths and bobbys are good places for lunch in town

Mc Love wrote: »
    Souths and bobbys are good places for lunch in town

Very far away from the CBD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Black fig closed two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Black fig closed two weeks ago

According to the Limerick Post it is opening again under new management and name.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Costellos Tavern do a fantastic lunch and very reasonably priced as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Costellos Tavern do a fantastic lunch and very reasonably priced as well..
    I've been tempted to see what the place is like during the day, what's the menu like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone tried Zest in the art gallery?
    Anytime I pass it's full. :-/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Zest in Ennis is nice, their coffee can be a bit "light" but if you ask for a strong coffee they'll put in an extra shot. I often go in for their salad bar for lunch. Their desserts are lovely as well, biggest problem is I can't always stop at 1 :)

They are the same company btw and their stuff is all made out in Shannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Was in Marco Polo last night, and was pleasantly surprised.

I usually try to avoid places with pictures of the food on the menu, It gives off a cheap, greasy, by the beach in the holidayland vibe.

I had the spicy chicken pizza, proper thin base, nice heat off the pizza and really tasty, the missus had a trio of fish and she said it was some of the nicest fish she's had out in a long time, the house wine was nice, and the price was really really reasonable.

The place has been done up nice, much better lay out than when it was Luigi Malones. It didn't feel as open and impersonal, and the noise level was a hell of a lot lower, even with the table of 20 odd women sitting no more than 20 ft away from us.

All in all a very happy experience.

Advertisement