Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beetlejuice II

• 14-01-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭

Tim Burton has expressed a solid interest in directing the sequel, and writers are already hard at work on a script (from ScreenRant).
    Yes. I love that character, and Michael [Keaton] is so great in it. I always think about how great and fun that character was, so I just said to Seth [Grahame-Smith], ‘If you have some idea about it, go for it, and then I’ll look at it freshly.’ In the past, I tried some things, but that was way back when. He seemed really excited about it… Michael was so great in it. I’m sure he’d strangely tap right back into [the role].
    Me, I want to know hear Winona Ryder would be interested, even in a small role - that would be the push this needs to get it rolling, I think. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Good god, Burton is such a hack he is now ripping himself off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's Depp's and Bonham Carter's next movie sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hart

Yes please! I love the original's quirky energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hart wrote: »
    Yes please! I love the original's quirky energy.

No thanks! Burtons "quirk" factor had become tiresome years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

chin_grin wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from, in that his movies lack all originality now. Same tone, same style (same lead actors). However, it's a style that I happen to really like, and one which couldn't be better suited to something like Beetlejuice, so I love the sound of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

No to Depp on this one, not in any role. I always wondered if ghosts got fat and developed drinking problems, now Alec will answer this question for me, wait!, what do you mean they're giving the role of Adam Maitland to Steven Baldwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wonder will it be Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian like Kevin Smiths story "didnt we say everything we needed in the first movie? must we go tropical?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

oh i cant wait for this :eek:
    i adore beetlejuice, on of his best aptly dark movies, just really hope it keeps the originality of the first one though, and doesnt just come off meh in comparison.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    oh i cant wait for this :eek:
    i adore beetlejuice, on of his best aptly dark movies, just really hope it keeps the originality of the first one though, and doesnt just come off meh in comparison.

Meh seems to be Burtons top speed the past decade or so, his movies are just dull as ditchwater these days, this is the same guy who made Batman and Edward Scissorhands, and has just been coasting along doing the same old shtick for years. oh look, gnarled trees and stripy things, didnt see that comin...omg is that Helena Bonham Carter?! wow surprise casting ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

chin_grin wrote: »

In most cases I'd agree with that statement but Beetlejuice is one of the films where it really does work. I'd be quite happy to see Burton take the helm for BJ2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Galvasean wrote: »
    In most cases I'd agree with that statement but Beetlejuice is one of the films where it really does work. I'd be quite happy to see Burton take the helm for BJ2.

Sounds like a completely different type of film to be honest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That's Depp's and Bonham Carter's next movie sorted anyway.

I think Depp would be great as Bettlejuice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Depp would be great as Bettlejuice

He could dye his hair black and speak with an English accent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

It's one of these sequels you'd think has already been done (well, I suppose it was attempted). To be honest I think there might be some potential, but only if Keaton is on board. Having Ryder back would be ideal though perhaps not essential.

Though probably not necessary it would be interesting to Baldwin appear; I was watching the original on TCM a while ago and couldn't believe how much Baldwin has changed.

For those interested I see the original is showing on TCM tonight @ 11:05, and on TCM2 at 00:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Michael Keaton is definitely interested: "he's been wanting to do it for 20 years and he'll talk to anybody about it who will listen."

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

What next, Citizen Kane 2: Rosebud Returns?

The fact that they're not willing to go ahead without Keaton is something... at least it rules out the possibility them churning out any old film with Depp or similar in the role. They seem to be treating it seriously.
    "I don't think we should do it if we s**t on the legacy. He agrees. So, right now, it remains to be seen, I have a couple of story ideas, but we're very early out."

Screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith has offered some more details, posted here. The writing hasn't started yet, but it's going to be a sequel set in the current day. Time doesn't mean anything in the afterlife, so Beetlejuice himself won't have changed.
    “This will be a true 26 or 27 years later sequel. What’s great is that for Beetlejuice, time means nothing in the afterlife, but the world outside is a different story.”
    Both Burton and Keaton appear to be up for it, though Burton might not direct:
    Beetlejuice is hopefully the third thing I’m gonna write this year. I’ve met with Tim about it, I’ve met with Michael Keaton about it. There’s a lot of goodwill to want to do it from both of those guys; Tim from a producing aspect and Michael from returning to the character. Again, it’s on me. It’s whether or not I can come up with a script that’s worthy of them jumping back in.”

bnt wrote: »
    time doesn't mean anything in the afterlife, so Beetlejuice himself won't have changed.

It will for have for Baldwin's character... though I suppose he probably won't appear anyway.

Sounds like it has potential though, glad they're going for the years later approach rather than a complete reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's a shame Glen Shadix is dead. He was my favourite character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't think this will be great. Beetlejuice was one of my favourite movies of my childhood, one of the first movies I remember seeing and I was blown away by it. It's one of the few Burton movies I enjoy (James and the Giant Peach being the other).

But I just don't think this will have all the required zaniness. A lot of Burton's movies of late have been hit and miss and the half the brilliance of the original movie is the audience acquainting itself with the alter reality.

For it to work I'd prefer if HBC didn't get a main role in it and if Burton doesn't try and carry the whole thing with Beetlejuice by himself. The other characters would need to be just as interesting as they were in the original for it to work.

Sindri wrote: »
    For it to work I'd prefer if HBC didn't get a main role in it and if Burton doesn't try and carry the whole thing with Beetlejuice by himself. The other characters would need to be just as interesting as they were in the original for it to work.
    If you don't mind me asking: who is HBC? I can't see anyone with those initials in the original cast.

Based on the idea of a sequel, I now strongly feel that Winona Ryder should be the star. 26 years later, her character would likely have her own kids, perhaps moving back to the old house after a divorce or something. It's the best chance I can think of for sequel continuity in the "real" world. I don't see Geena Davis or Alec Baldwin being in it, since while their characters won't have aged in the afterlife, the actors definitely have aged! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

HBC = Helena Bonham Carter I presume.

HBC = Helena Bonham Carter I presume.
    Oh, I see - the idea being that she might be cast because she's the director's missus? I wouldn't worry too much about that. She's not in Frankenweenie or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, for example, and only has a small part in Dark Shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's a shame Glen Shadix is dead. He was my favourite character.

Poor old Otho, he was the Mayor of Halloween Town too,great actor.

Regarding the time-not-moving-on-in the afterlife thing, it would be interesting, but unlikely, if Burton where to try maintain the 'feel' of the original for the afterlife scenes, though by all means allowing for the 'real world' to have progressed.

Hopefully they won't try to 'update' the afterlife in a cheesy, clumsy way, like Beetlejuice having an iPhone or something.

Poor old Otho, he was the Mayor of Halloween Town too,great actor.

remember him in Demolition Man as well playing Cocteau's lackey

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

krudler wrote: »
    remember him in Demolition Man as well playing Cocteau's lackey

He also held a séance in Fresh Prince of Bel Air as Scorpius,one of my favourite actors ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He also held a séance in Fresh Prince of Bel Air as Scorpius,one of my favourite actors ever.
    "I put a hex on you" :D
    Loved him as the "hip" priest in Heathers he also had a great role in Dunston Checks In.

Advertisement