Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Me neither. I keep mine hidden until I have got to know someone and I explain why its not on public view. Most men dont have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

I know I haven't posted on this in a bit ...but basically things are going really well with the guy I was meeting up with!!! We have date FIVE arranged for Wednesday :-)

I don't wanna say to much in case I jinx it though haha!

Good luck with it JB101

Whatever you do dont go reading Grumpys recent dating stories:D especially as its date five. Hope it all works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Samich wrote: »
    You say you added him on fb? You friends with him on it?

If you're friends with him on it I'd say you're still in there.

Yeah I'm still friends with him on FB. I didn't want to put my picture up on POF so after chatting with him for a while on POF, I suggested he look me up on FB. He asked me if I liked the whole online dating thing and I said I wasn't sure. He made a joke of it and said the only reason I kept my profile up was to get a date with him and was the one suggesting going on a date. Then I check POF this morning and his profile is gone or he's blocked me or whatever it was. Next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Yeah I'm still friends with him on FB. I didn't want to put my picture up on POF so after chatting with him for a while on POF, I suggested he look me up on FB. He asked me if I liked the whole online dating thing and I said I wasn't sure. He made a joke of it and said the only reason I kept my profile up was to get a date with him and was the one suggesting going on a date. Then I check POF this morning and his profile is gone or he's blocked me or whatever it was. Next...

I'd say you've still got a chance? It's not like he's cut off all contact, he can still contact you.

Maybe he's sick of the site or something, don't be too eager to write people off. Happens all too often on here, always thinking the other person is messing you about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

rebelwoman wrote: »
    Me neither. I keep mine hidden until I have got to know someone and I explain why its not on public view. Most men dont have a problem with it.

I am going to sound like an old fart but I think that it has become the accepted norm that people want to put photos of themselves everywhere - I blame camera-phones :D. I guess that I prefer real friends to virtual ones. I find it very normal that a woman would withhold a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Signed into POF for the first time in ages. (My profile still hidden, been hidden since I started dating the lady I've been posting about over the last month)

Her profile is active again, and updated with recent photos from last week. :o

She doesn't waste any time at all! :eek:

Dunno if that makes me uncomfortable or comfortable.
    I know I shouldn't care but can't help think about it I guess. Feels like I committed an awful lot of time and money, guess I expected if it didn't work out, it'd be a while before she sought a "replacement" so to speak. NOPE!

Maybe she gets five dates deep with every guy, enjoying the company and being treated like a princess for a while, then moves on?

My opinion is yoyo-ing all over the place in my head now. It it weird I feel that way? I'd like to remember in a certain way, but her less than 24 hour profile re-activation and refresh makes me feel like I am monster or something. :pac:

Uuugh.

GrumPy wrote: »
    Signed into POF for the first time in ages. (My profile still hidden, been hidden since I started dating the lady I've been posting about over the last month)

She doesn't waste any time at all!

I know I shouldn't care but can't help think about it I guess.

It's really sickening alright man :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Then think about it and let those thoughts run their course. :)

Anyway, when you get chatting to someone else, I'm sure you won't care all that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Samich wrote: »
    Happens all too often on here, always thinking the other person is messing you about.

But it also happens a lot that they are. Yes someone can "disappear" but out of courtesy they should let you know the score especially if they have suggested a date. Just because it's online it doesn't mean than basic manners have to go out of the window.

• Advertisement

Me too Discodog. And nobody has called you an old fart YET!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry to hear about all this mate. Here would be me feeling sorry for myself for not being able to get chatting to someone properly then get a date but jaysus I'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for this at all or not as I dunno how I'd handle it going through what you are.

If only we could turn off our emotions until it was safe to turn them back on again. :)

Discodog wrote: »
    But it also happens a lot that they are. Yes someone can "disappear" but out of courtesy they should let you know the score especially if they have suggested a date. Just because it's online it doesn't mean than basic manners have to go out of the window.

Saying someone who is friends on fb with ya and deleted their pof account and presuming they aren't interested is wrong.

If it was the case why didn't he delete her from fb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I know I shouldn't care but can't help think about it I guess. Feels like I committed an awful lot of time and money, guess I expected if it didn't work out, it'd be a while before she sought a "replacement" so to speak. NOPE!

Maybe she gets five dates deep with every guy, enjoying the company and being treated like a princess for a while, then moves on?

My opinion is yoyo-ing all over the place in my head now. It it weird I feel that way? I'd like to remember in a certain way, but her less than 24 hour profile re-activation and refresh makes me feel like I am monster or something. :pac:

Uuugh.
    Haha you should so punk her some how!!

Haha you should so punk her some how!!

Haha, wouldn't be something I'd do at all! I guess I feel extra crappy, like I was "used up" or something. :o Despite it being perfectly okay for her to decide to stop dating and move on of course!

I'm trying really hard to be positive about what happened, but since noticing her new profile, I just feel crap. How it "ended" was quite lovely really, I should think of that and just move on, but it seems tainted or something now. The whole thing now seems like I wasn't good enough. Which is also fine for her to think that!
    Guess I'm just a wee bit upset, probs be for a day or two. I'll chin up soon enough though I'm sure. :)
    Thread needs more success stories to help! Get out there and find dates for yourselves to give me comfort folks! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Uuugh.

Sorry to hear that but try not to think of it as a bad reflection on you because it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Except one thing maybe - your reference to treating her 'like a princess' and to money spent suggests that you might have paid for all the dates?

hollypink wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that but try not to think of it as a bad reflection on you because it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Except one thing maybe - your reference to treating her 'like a princess' and to money spent suggests that you might have paid for all the dates?

No no, I did offer to pay for the majority of things if I'm honest, but she was really good and always offered to pay her way. She also paid fully for one of the dates and refused to let me give her money on a number of occasions.
    Guess princess was the wrong word.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

It is a pity it didn't work out. I would be a bit gutted too if they were on the site so quickly afterwards, but on the other hand they are free to move on.

Did you pay for all of the dates? Whatever about offering to pay for the first date, if you did the asking out, I think you should not feel you have to pay for the other ones. I know it could be awkward bringing it up, but I think it would be very reasonable going havles, unless there is a huge income disparity or something like this in which case some other ratio could be more suited (though I think you are not well off from what you have said).

You sound lovely so I doubt you did anything wrong.

Edit: Oops I was writing that while Hollypink and Grumpy posted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

No no, I did offer to pay for the majority of things if I'm honest, but she was really good and always offered to pay her way. She also paid fully for one of the dates and refused to let me give her money on a number of occasions.
    Guess princess was the wrong word.

Ah no, sorry I didn't mean treating someone like a princess means spending lots of money on them (well IMHO anyway), I think it's about being thoughtful and attentive so I'm sure you did treat her that way. It's just that it's sometimes used in a monetary context so I wondered if that was the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

GrumPy, you're doing a great job trying to stay positive and that's definitely the best thing to do. Give yourself a bit of time to feel a bit down (and miffed) but don't waste time considering her motives or what you might have done differently. I used to over-analyse every thing that went askew and blame myself, while when ending it with other people I knew it had very little to do with them and more with what I thought I wanted/where I was at the time. People make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons - many of them wrong! Good news is you seem like a really nice guy, with no doubt lots of great dates to come :)

• Advertisement

GrumPy, you're doing a great job trying to stay positive and that's definitely the best thing to do. Give yourself a bit of time to feel a bit down (and miffed) but don't waste time considering her motives or what you might have done differently. I used to over-analyse every thing that went askew and blame myself, while when ending it with other people I knew it had very little to do with them and more with what I thought I wanted/where I was at the time. People make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons - many of them wrong! Good news is you seem like a really nice guy, with no doubts lots of great dates to come :)

Thanks for the really positive post AnnyHallsal! :)

I'm considering throwing my profile back online too. Next person I may meet, will be the third attempt at online dating. Third time lucky maybe? Gotta stay positive! :pac:

Thanks for the really positive post AnnyHallsal! :)

I'm considering throwing my profile back online too. Next person I may meet, will be the third attempt at online dating. Third time lucky maybe? Gotta stay positive! :pac:

You're doing something right anyways ;) I'm currently at 0 dates so you're doing good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    Date later today. throw me some karma guys :pac:

Well, the good news is she turned up.
    The bad news is that I have already received my "You're a lovely guy BUT" text.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Had a date today aswell..... nice guy no attraction so guess im still fishing :rolleyes: Speaking of fishing anybody unable to log into pof tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

Im going putting myself on the market there shortly,which one will i use,seen loads of ye using plenty of fish, what's the story with ok cupid and connecting singles,what would ye recommend me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think with the free sites its best just to sign up and see what you find is the easiest to use etc. I preferred POF to OKCupid myself. Smaller pool in the Okcupid one. Having said that, more messers in POF. So its a toss up really. :pac:

I have already received my "You're a lovely guy BUT" text.
    Ammsy500 wrote: »
    Had a date today aswell..... nice guy no attraction

>_<

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

>_<

Ha but at least you got a text. Ive had dates where I thought there was a mutual attraction and got no reply to my text I sent after. As crap as those texts are she had the decency to let you know rather than leave you wondering. On to the next one :)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the 'BUT' texts. So much nicer than that girl who told me she could not wait to see me again and then avoided me like the plague for two weeks until I got the hint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Grumpy mate, it's not worth torturing yourself over this girl. Judging by your posts you sound like a nice chap. Block her from Facebook/POF etc. Out of sight and out of mind.

It sucks and you've every right to feel upset/pissed off given how much time and effort you've put into it.

Come to the beers and get drunk as a fookin' skunk. Good times are promised. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement