Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Top Dog wrote: »
    I've used the Auto Glym stuff in the past and it works fairly ok too. Was considering using the Vectra concoction of white spirits & petrol this time ... will see. Can't remember the last time I de-tarred it :o

I still find Tardis hard to beat though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

sean1141 wrote: »
    dont try wash it in the washing machine like I did!:o
    vectra wrote: »

Tardis is yer only man. And yes defo do not put it in the washing machine. I did that once by accident. After 3 washes my clothes still smelt like cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Not done anything with it yet, but picked up my first ever clay bar kit today to use up a Christmas voucher.

Can anyone tell me - do you use them for removal of tar spots too, or is it recommended to de-tar first?
    Detar. Rinse areas with water. Wash as you normally would. Clay bar. Polish. Wax. Step back and admire. Done.
    mrs crilly wrote: »
    Tardis is yer only man. And yes defo do not put it in the washing machine. I did that once by accident. After 3 washes my clothes still smelt like cars!
    Ah. That's why the mother went mental when I threw the lovely white cotton cloth I used for the detar in the wash. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Johntegr wrote: »
    Detar. Rinse areas with water. Wash as you normally would. Clay bar. Polish. Wax. Step back and admire. Done.
    Probably take me 2 days with the size of my yoke :o

Wonder what the odds are of actually getting 2 consecutive dry days in this country?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I would wash, detar, wash again if there was a lot of tar remover left over but there shouldnt be if you wiped it down(clay bar will remove tar remover residue and any small stubbern tar spots), claybar, wash and dry, polish and 2 coats of wax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Did the same thing to my Laguna....does make a difference alright, plus you don't have to worry about the missus leaving the light on after reading something/doing the makeup!

Where you get all the bulbs/fittings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Wonder what the odds are of actually getting 2 consecutive dry days in this country?! :rolleyes:

Its being dry for the last few days though in fairness. I normally wash it after claying it actually but all this takes time...

Off down to Centra and get the brekkie roll to fill ya up with energy...

i got a sample of tardis before and didnt find it anything special to be honest. its not bad but its no way better than the holts stuff i normally use. plus the holts is easier to get, can be got in smaller tins (tardis is 5L tin only??) and is cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Off down to Centra and get the brekkie roll to fill ya up with energy...
    I'm up since 3am ... it'll take more than a brekkie roll :D

Apparently the weather is good until Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

i got a sample of tardis before and didnt find it anything special to be honest. its not bad but its no way better than the holts stuff i normally use. plus the holts is easier to get, can be got in smaller tins (tardis is 5L tin only??) and is cheap enough

Tardis can be gotten in a 500ml bottle too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

Is petrol alright for removing tar lads. Thinking of detaring my mothers car today. She wants it washed

cena wrote: »
    Is petrol alright for removing tar lads. Thinking of detaring my mothers car today. She wants it washed
    It'd work alright but I wouldn't recommend it now.

As long as your paint is not fresh it should be ok. I have never had a problem with it

Was car

De-tar with the petrol

Wash car.

Dry

Polish/wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Today me and my car moved to a new home.

Hello kiltipper !

Also going through my stuff i have a mountain of stuff to sell !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It'd work alright but I wouldn't recommend it now.

Why not?

BDJW wrote: »
    Tardis can be gotten in a 500ml bottle too :)

is tha the clean car samples or can it be got in the motorfactors?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Lots of tar where I live and I've tried many things.
    Butter (only if you want to put salami and cheese on your car and eat it as a giant sandwich), petrol (OK, but not great), paint thinner (you will have hands like someone whos been dead for three days), WD40 (no great shake) and white spirit.
    White spirit did the trick best for me, just wipes it off, no bother.

New oil, oil filter and sparkers for the old girl. 12 years and 113k miles, engine still running like new.

195923.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

White spirits is okay on the paint work?

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    White spirits is okay on the paint work?

Yes

is tha the clean car samples or can it be got in the motorfactors?

Not samples. Just 500ml sizes
    Lots of tar where I live and I've tried many things.
    Butter (only if you want to put salami and cheese on your car and eat it as a giant sandwich), petrol (OK, but not great), paint thinner (you will have hands like someone whos been dead for three days) and white spirit.
    White spirit did the trick best for me, just wipes it off, no bother.

Not in my wildest dreams would I use Paint thinner on my car :eek:

Not samples. Just 500ml sizes

Not in my wildest dreams would I use Paint thinner on my car :eek:

Well it was an experiment and the car was a wreck anyway.
    It did the paint no harm, it will only eat away fresh paint.
    But, no you're right, not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gave Betty a good going over today. Power hosed, brush washed, rinsed, mitt washed, rinsed, dried, waxed. Wish I had of known white spirits would have sorted the tar, its beginning to build up. Scoured the alloys too and dressed the tyres and a good Hoover to top it off. Will stick a few pics up tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

MugMugs wrote: »
    Gave Betty a good going over today. Power hosed, brush washed, rinsed, mitt washed, rinsed, dried, waxed. Wish I had of known white spirits would have sorted the tar, its beginning to build up. Scoured the alloys too and dressed the tyres and a good Hoover to top it off. Will stick a few pics up tomorrow. :)

Petrol works for removing tar too.

Why not?
    Smells. Burns skin. Waste.

Then again, a litre of petrol is cheaper than a litre of Detar!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks to the lovely weather I spent from 12 today (with a few breaks) working on the car and I'm only finished now.

Washed the wheels, the car, dried it, de-tarred it, clayed it, washed it, dried it, polished it and waxed it with Megs gold class wax then with megs NXT wax.

I then dressed the tyres and went at the wiper arms with G-Techniq trim restorer (I love that stuff!). Then I started cleaning the trim at the bottom of the windscreen fully intending to restore it but quickly realized that it would be a trim-off job. Leaving that for another day.

Tomorrow I have the following planned: polish the glass inside and out, hoover the interior and mats, clean the leather and treat it.

This weather really gets me in the mood for doing all this stuff :o

BX 19 wrote: »
    Petrol works for removing tar too.

It does, but it's twice the scrubbing compared to white spirit. And even with white spirit it's always going to be a hoor of a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Got my check light issue sorted out, then got her mapped by Joe Power. Completely different animal, well worth the few quid for it!

Had to celebrate this by driving to Limerick to inspect Limerick Girl's (aka Limerick man) Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Got the back speakers of my HK sound system set up. Hopefully I will have it fully back together tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement