Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kiith wrote: »
    What ever level you were at the end of ME2, you'll be the same level in ME3. Level and skills carry over, though i'm fairly sure you'll get to respec your skill points early on. Cash and minerals from ME2 give you points to your total warfront score.

Hmmm, didn't know that - I like the sound of that. Might even tempt me back to do some planet scanning in ME2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm kinda reluctant to go digging online (for fear of teh spoilerz), so does anyone know if ME3 takes your save from after beating the final boss in ME2 or does it just take your most recent save, if you've finished more missions in the postgame?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Where is the best place to pre-order ME3? (As in which pre-order comes with the most/best free stuff?)

I see gamestop give you dog tags. (Is that it?)
    Gamersgate give you a free copy of Dragon Age Origins.

Anywhere else offer anything decent?

PS: Does the N7 Valkyrie Rifle, Armor and M55 Rifle come with all pre-orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

KonFusion wrote: »
    Where is the best place to pre-order ME3? (As in which pre-order comes with the most/best free stuff?)

I see gamestop give you dog tags. (Is that it?)
    Gamersgate give you a free copy of Dragon Age Origins.

Anywhere else offer anything decent?

PS: Does the N7 Valkyrie Rifle, Armor and M55 Rifle come with all pre-orders?

I'm fairly sure hmv are giving tshirts with pre orders

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

pixelburp wrote: »
    So if MassEffect 3 is now an Origin-only affair, does the game still pick up saved games from the Steam version of #2? Whilst I figured on not getting this game 'cos of the DLC shenanigans, the lure of experiencing the last chapter in the story is pretty strong & I may buckle!
    I bought ME on steam, ME2 in a shop and ME3 from origin.
    I have all three on origin. It seems to have picked up that i had ME from steam automaticlly, along with various other EA titles like MOA and DeadSpace etc..
    I manually entered the code for ME2 and its seeing it fine. I can launch it from Origin, download it again etc.. (quite handy as my dvd is scratched to bits)

I've also been playing ME2 on origin with saves i had from ME1, so thats all working fine, i would assume the same can be said for ME3. I hope so anyway, spent loads of time arsing about with paragon/renegade and mixed for the last month or so to get the choices i want to see the effects of in ME3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just to sicken ye, I got my mass effect 3 collectors edition today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

joe123 wrote: »
    how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Hmmm, didn't know that - I like the sound of that. Might even tempt me back to do some planet scanning in ME2.

Nothing in the world will ever tempt me back to doing that. Thank feck they've changed it slightly for ME3. You still have to scan but now you can find the 'sweet spots' straight away. Apparently anyway.

Also while mining, and this could be regarded as a spoiler (not to the story though) but I'll block it for those that want to find out on their own.
    if you're mining for too long, reapers come after you and you've to outrun them
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

If you have it, how come you haven't played it yet? Last game you played was fifa a few days ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Your level does port over directly, you get a fresh slate with skill points equal to that level. I didn't notice anything to do with previous resources to be honest, though I did start with a ~50K cash so it might have converted it as it did for ME1 to 2 but I'm pretty sure it's not listed as a war asset anywhere.

Graphics are better than the predecessors mainly in the level of detail, but it is still the U3 engine so nothing spectacular.
    Audio overall is better. The first 2 had excellent themes but the incidental music was quite weak imho. Here while there's been no epic theme yet the overall quality is much higher.

Gameplay - the best of both worlds. Personally I much preferred ME1 over 2, the story was better and it had at least some semblance of customisation and character building. 2 was not so much dumbed down as lobotomised, with better combat often touted as an offset...well to me that was bs, neither had great AI or combat mechanics, 2 just had more to shoot...still the same whack-a-mole cover/shoot the AI on rails jobby. But the action was sufficient for both for a story driven game like this so it's not a big sticking point, I just cannot see how folks think 2 was so much better in that regard. But while the story arc in 1 was much more interesting (since it actually dealt with the core epic rather than 2 which is 80% character missions) the characterisation and scripting for 2 was definitely superior. Even if the story itself was nowhere near as complex or interesting the characters and conversations made up for it.
    Anyway that babble is just for context on my opinion that ME3 combines everything I liked from each game and improves on it. The script is tighter and better, the story by its nature is pure epic arc, the scene framing is perfect...basically it just draws you right in. And yes, action has FINALLY really been improved, still not up there with dedicated shooters but it's a lot more challenging and a hell of a lot more fun than the previous 2.

There are some negatives like the scanning stuff which is tedious, though not so much as the predecessors. But overall the game absolutely rocks so far (about 8 hours in). I'm writing this now trying to let the urge to keep playing wear off so I can get some sleep, it's 2am here and I have that work thing in the morning :mad: .
    If you remotely like the series you are going to love this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there going to be an issue picking this up for the pc in shops on Friday? The pc version has been removed completely from Gamestop.ie. I didn't bother per-ordering it, as i have enough Bioware points to buy the DLC on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Your level does port over directly, you get a fresh slate with skill points equal to that level. I didn't notice anything to do with previous resources to be honest, though I did start with a ~50K cash so it might have converted it as it did for ME1 to 2 but I'm pretty sure it's not listed as a war asset anywhere.

Graphics are better than the predecessors mainly in the level of detail, but it is still the U3 engine so nothing spectacular.
    Audio overall is better. The first 2 had excellent themes but the incidental music was quite weak imho. Here while there's been no epic theme yet the overall quality is much higher.

Gameplay - the best of both worlds. Personally I much preferred ME1 over 2, the story was better and it had at least some semblance of customisation and character building. 2 was not so much dumbed down as lobotomised, with better combat often touted as an offset...well to me that was bs, neither had great AI or combat mechanics, 2 just had more to shoot...still the same whack-a-mole cover/shoot the AI on rails jobby. But the action was sufficient for both for a story driven game like this so it's not a big sticking point, I just cannot see how folks think 2 was so much better in that regard. But while the story arc in 1 was much more interesting (since it actually dealt with the core epic rather than 2 which is 80% character missions) the characterisation and scripting for 2 was definitely superior. Even if the story itself was nowhere near as complex or interesting the characters and conversations made up for it.
    Anyway that babble is just for context on my opinion that ME3 combines everything I liked from each game and improves on it. The script is tighter and better, the story by its nature is pure epic arc, the scene framing is perfect...basically it just draws you right in. And yes, action has FINALLY really been improved, still not up there with dedicated shooters but it's a lot more challenging and a hell of a lot more fun than the previous 2.

There are some negatives like the scanning stuff which is tedious, though not so much as the predecessors. But overall the game absolutely rocks so far (about 8 hours in). I'm writing this now trying to let the urge to keep playing wear off so I can get some sleep, it's 2am here and I have that work thing in the morning :mad: .
    If you remotely like the series you are going to love this one.

Can not wait for this. If im the lucky the local Tesco might break the street like it did for the last Assassins Creed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    Going back to pre-order bonuses, where exactly do you get the N7 pack? Gamestop look like they're giving dog tags and HMV are giving a t-shirt. Those N7 packs are going for 20 euro a pop on eBay :(

Any idea?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Going back to pre-order bonuses, where exactly do you get the N7 pack? Gamestop look like they're giving dog tags and HMV are giving a t-shirt. Those N7 packs are going for 20 euro a pop on eBay :(

Any idea?

Xtra vision, found that out after I ordered with gamestop :(

If you have it, how come you haven't played it yet? Last game you played was fifa a few days ago :rolleyes:

loving the rolls eyes :D what would be the point in posting something like that and just making it up? Check again.

Didn't play it yesterday coz I had training and was just wrecked tired after that and work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I clicked on metacritic there, glowing reviews from all publications, however...

Why are there so many negative user reviews? I really don't understand this level of vitriol that is aimed at Bioware. Was there some internet fanboy campaign I was unaware of or is there some truth in the disappointment?

It's roughly 50/50, a total marmite effect, not the preferred mass kind.

I've already preordered the game, but I can't help shake the feeling that I will be disappointed.

Frankly, ME was a total gem for me, mainly because I went into it with no expectations and found it delivered everything I wanted from a game. ME2 was obviously carrying greater expectations and I too was annoyed by the simplification of the RPG elements (tell me casual gamers are not that lazy or disinterested?) in favour of more combat, but in the end the story and the scale won me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had a look at some of the metacritic scores without reading the reviews and saw users giving it 0 and 1 out of 10, obvious trolls and read Metacritic will be deleting certain scores and reviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Just got an email from Game to say that they wont be able to supply Mass Effect 3.
    Bullsh!t. I have been playing mass effect 3 since yesterday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I clicked on metacritic there, glowing reviews from all publications, however...

Why are there so many negative user reviews? I really don't understand this level of vitriol that is aimed at Bioware. Was there some internet fanboy campaign I was unaware of or is there some truth in the disappointment?

I've already preordered the game, but I can't help shake the feeling that I will be disappointed.

Frankly, ME was a total gem for me, mainly because I went into it with no expectations and found it delivered everything I wanted from a game. ME2 was obviously carrying greater expectations and I too was annoyed by the simplification of the RPG elements (tell me casual gamers are not that lazy or disinterested?) in favour of more combat, but in the end the story and the scale won me over.

lol don't worry, you always get these idiots. The game is going to be superb.

Day 1 DLC is the cause to be honest.

• Advertisement

loving the rolls eyes :Dwhat would be the point in posting something like that and just making it up? Check again.

Didn't play it yesterday coz I had training and was just wrecked tired after that and work!

To get a rise out of the likes of me who do not have the game yet :p

I formally withdraw my :rolleyes: now however :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

dead one wrote: »
    did you get your copy from GAME?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, who's up for some multiplayer on the pc over the weekend? Will probably spend Friday playing single player, but might give multiplayer a go on Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    So, who's up for some multiplayer on the pc over the weekend? Will probably spend Friday playing single player, but might give multiplayer a go on Saturday or Sunday.
    I think I'll give it a try at some point in the future. Wont be getting around to playing this until another week or so at least. Ordered from Amazon and im out of the country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I had a look at some of the metacritic scores without reading the reviews and saw users giving it 0 and 1 out of 10, obvious trolls and read Metacritic will be deleting certain scores and reviews.
    The internet. Butthurt arm chair protests.
    I don't like the dlc situation either, but that's a pathetic response.
    Don't buy, don't play the game (hurr, dlc, I feel entitled to pirate it now, lololol - People I know) if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished my ME2 playthrough. It amuses me that even after saving the galaxy, albeit temporarily, and with a full Paragon bar, Miranda will still not accept my apology. It's almost too realistic!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

dead one wrote: »
    did you get your copy from GAME?
    I cant imagine they did get it from GAME. I'd imagine his outrage was to say that it was poor form from GMAE to leave it this late to tell them that they wont be getting it from GAME. Which I completely agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You have asked the questions i have been asking myself and i feel how you do about the game.

If i was to try and answer i would say its a complicated issue, there are multiple layers to peoples dislike. I feel that if you were to break it down it is to do with the Bioware brand being diluted by EA, the move away from more solid RPG's with limited appeal to more RPG lite with FPS/action elements for more mass appeal, and finally EA have changed their sales model and started to charge for DLC.

I can see why people are getting annoyed as something they really liked has changed but get a life dont purchase it if you dont want to play it. I will give it a punt and if it sucks i will probably stir clear of bioware games in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 commandz

Any stock clearance sales in GAME around the country, given there impending liquidation or acquisition? UK shops seems to have started:

https://twitter.com/#!/ryan_astley/status/177381166452703233/photo/1

• Advertisement

As much as I loved ME2 - the bit with Zane, where he's speaking about the character Mouse, and it gets all "art-y" - well, it always confused me. Unless I missed something, that was the only thing it happened with Thane?

@ 2:50 on that video.

Advertisement