Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden NFL 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah, there is times where you HAVE to pass but I think in these times you just got to use the plays that you are totally confident with. Practice them and get the timing perfect. It has really worked well for me this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

matthew8 wrote: »
    But in every game there is a point where the ball must go in the air, and if you can't complete a pass, then you're in trouble.

Maybe, but go look at the power rankings from last season.
    After 16 games it stood at

Jets (Berty) - Run Team
    Packers (Ben) - Run Team
    Bucs(Myself)- Pass Team
    Colts(Sundalic) - Pass Team
    Bengals(Rob) -Balanced

Trust me when i first played Ben he tore me a new one by being very selective in his passing game and where to throw it, he had his routes and he stuck to it if needed but he was a run first offence and boy once it gets going it's tough to stop.

Hell even when I played Raol this season it was nothing like our season opener the year before where I had contained his running game and had one the game by the second half. He knew how to run the game and to sell the run even better and it's something that's extremely tough to counter.

You don't need to have guys running streaks on every play to win games, I was one of the very few who ran a very much heavy pass offence and that's because I had built a team of receivers that suited my game plan and I knew my play book inside out.

You have Welker and Oslen, two guys who would drive people mad, all you have to do is use them on your drag and crossing routes. Welker will never do much outwide for you, you need him inside on the slot. Once you draw the safeties in then you can send 85 on a streak and air it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

But in every game there is a point where the ball must go in the air, and if you can't complete a pass, then you're in trouble.

True, but after playing you last night. You only tried long passes down field. You didn't try any medium routes or short.

The only short ones you tried were screens to mojo. You have tight end that in a run heavy formation will be matched up against slower linebacker.

Deep passes are great but should not be the stable of your offense.

I hope you reconsider and just practice short passes. If you do you'll be a force next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I really think you need 5-6 pass plays that work well and that you know inside out.

Long deep passes are risky as hell in Madden 12 but were a lot easier in 11.

The CB's seem better at catching these balls than recievers.

Personally I use the run to open up the pass as best I can and I'll usually only go deep when the opposition is getting frustrated with giving up yards to the run and start bringing up the safeties and playing 1 on 1.

Passing in Madden 12 is really frustrating and I've been on the verge of giving up the game a few times, but I think a strong running game is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Effectively the guys have probably hit on what you want to do. You want to play real Raiders type football with speed, I presume. Firstly on your roster you have THE fasted WR in the game on your roster.

I have one of your favourites, the speed machine that is Heyward-Bey on my roster. In 23 games over 2 seasons he only has 22 catches. I use him to stretch the defence when I need to thats all.

Having fast WR does not matter too much. Youwill never be able to base your game around them for loads of reasons.

Firstly the franchise mode dumbs down the speed so its not a big factor.

Secondly, the guys in this league are good and getting better all the time. They know blitzes, in fact tehy probably blitz too much such that you will never consistently have enough time to get the ball deep down field.

What that means that even if you do unless its 1 v1 and you can either user catch or its come off play action and the WR has blown wide by the CB you are going to struggle to complete. That or you have such a fantastic running game that the defence is loading the box leaving one on one outside, even still difficult to complete.

Schuab cannot throw deep very well, but anyone of the good players will tell you thats not necessarily a bad thing. You won't win games thowing deep all the time, you win the games by putting the ball in the WR hands in the holes in the defence. Its simply a matter of finding the holes. There is no team in the game that you cannot win with by doing this.

I always maintain you learn more from the games you lose than from any game you ever win. Look at what your opponents have success with, practice and you will become a better madden player.

One league I play in, a particular guy went 0-16 Season 1, he took some pastings. He practiced, got tips from guys he was playing, kept at it. Season 2, game 5 or 6 he finally won his first game. Virtually every single player in the league made a point of publically congratulating him, we were all delighted for him. Although still losing more than he wins, he is now a tough player to match up against, but he is happy he can see himself improving all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What time are the Bears available at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Stev_o wrote: »
    What time are the Bears available at?

I can play tonight if your around let me know what time you can get on if not tonight any evening before ten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

When can the cowboys play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

The Colts offence were awful today turning the ball over 6 times but the defence managed 8 sacks including one safety and did enough to make up for another poor Rivers performance.
    The Jags ended up with -54 passing yards, the second game in a row where the Colts have held their opponents to negative yards.
    McFadden and Davis were as consistent as ever though with both putting up 101 yards.

The Colts extend their winning streak to 5 and go to to 5-2

I'm going to need to protect the ball much better if I want to make the playoffs. Tough game up next when the unbeaten Buccs visit Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Berty44 wrote: »
    "At the end of the day the Raiders passing game is the exact opposite of what I want in a passing game"
    Matthew?
    What do you want in your passing game?
    The deep ball. I want a 6 foot 1 receiver with 90 speed and a quarterback who can throw to him.
    True, but after playing you last night. You only tried long passes down field. You didn't try any medium routes or short.

The only short ones you tried were screens to mojo. You have tight end that in a run heavy formation will be matched up against slower linebacker.

Deep passes are great but should not be the stable of your offense.

I hope you reconsider and just practice short passes. If you do you'll be a force next season.
    Alright I must admit that after last night matching up a tight end against a slower linebacker is the way to win, just throw it to them and everything will be fine. I get your point though, I think I got a big play against the Broncos or someone on a little dinky throw to Olsen. I just don't see the point in throwing the ball 6 yards down the field when you're not entirely sure a defender isn't there to jump in and take it for 6 and you're averaging over 6 yards a carry.

The whole idea of picking the Raiders was that I would get a fast team. I did not get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I just don't see the point in throwing the ball 6 yards down the field when you're not entirely sure a defender isn't there to jump in and take it for 6 and you're averaging over 6 yards a carry.

The whole idea of picking the Raiders was that I would get a fast team. I did not get one.

It's not about a YPC average, it's about winning the game. You have a minimum of 3 downs to play with, 6 yards per play is still going to give you a first down every 2 plays. Learn to read a defense and you'll be sure if there is going to be a player there waiting for the pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Lukebray wrote: »
    It's not about a YPC average, it's about winning the game. You have a minimum of 3 downs to play with, 6 yards per play is still going to give you a first down every 2 plays. Learn to read a defense and you'll be sure if there is going to be a player there waiting for the pick.
    Great point. Weeks ago if I tried to run it on first down and didn't get at least 2 or 3 yards, I would have been like "crap, I gotta air this out". Don't really need to though. Now, I feel confident running it on 2nd and 3rd and only resorting to the pass when I feel there is a gap in the D and someone will get some space or if I am 3rd and 10 or something. Even then a surprise draw play can work to great effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

McG wrote: »
    The Colts offence were awful today turning the ball over 6 times but the defence managed 8 sacks including one safety and did enough to make up for another poor Rivers performance.
    The Jags ended up with -54 passing yards, the second game in a row where the Colts have held their opponents to negative yards.
    McFadden and Davis were as consistent as ever though with both putting up 101 yards.

The Colts extend their winning streak to 5 and go to to 5-2

I'm going to need to protect the ball much better if I want to make the playoffs. Tough game up next when the unbeaten Buccs visit Lucas Oil Stadium.

@ McG your win is coming up on the LM site after syncing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Can someone check that I have registered on the LM site correctly and am appearing as usimg the dolphins.

Kaiche u on tonight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

nevermind coming up now

yep will be on later tonight at some stage

edit: you are also showing up as the Dolphins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

online now if anyone wants a game

online now if anyone wants a game

I'll be on about 10 or so man, a lot of work to get through after taking yesterday off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

horrible watch, absolute scumbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I posted about the redskins one It was a weird one and i asked if people had had it happen to them.

patriots one I forgot to post .but after u said people hadn't given reasonsi posted up why it booted me. Also as I said the giants GM was in the room when I got kicked from my game. I restarted once and played it

That's not what I remember. You were 16-0 down after 3 min, Orton threw an interception to Jon Beason that was returned, Then after the kick off, Beason forces the fumble and Tommy Kelly recovers and takes it to the house. I'm screaming "BIG MAN WITH FOOTBALL!!!" That was met with a frown, oh if looks could kill.

In a rage you dump Orton for the second coming of Tebow. His first play, he drops back, her comes the pressure and its a sack and ....wait no...a safety!

Then comes the rage quit, he was screaming and shouting, controllers were flung, I tried to calm him down and he said some things about my mother....well I never!

After I was kicked out I remembered I never saw the Patriots offence!!!

Don't be lying, just cause your a mod now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Ravens @ Browns
    It just wasn't meant to be for the Purple Pain tonight in Cleveland as the home team came out on top 16-0.
    1st Quarter:
    Cleveland win the toss and choose to kick.
    On the Ravens first drive, QB Sam Bradford is picked off by Marcus Trufant.
    Good running by Starks sets up Browns FB Greg Jones to power in from 3 yards out. Feeley is good.
    7-0 CLE
    Ravens punt it away.
    Cleveland punt it away.
    Cleveland intercept it again, Nnamdi Asomugha gets the honours this time.
    Jeremy Shockey shows how vital to the Browns Offence he is hauling in a 21 yard pass on 3rd and long as time runs out in the 1st.
    7-0 CLE

2nd Quarter:
    Browns find themselves facing another 3rd and 15 so Andy Dalton panics and runs the wrong way. Browns now find themselves facing 4th & 28.
    Ravens once again make their way down the field but are unable to make use of the possession and have to punt it away.
    Dalton uses his feet again, this time moving the right way picking up 20 yards on 2nd & 17.
    Jay feeley kicks a 37 yarder as we get to halftime.
    10-0 CLE

3rd Quarter:
    Browns face a 3rd & 25. You know the drill, Dalton to Shockey for a first down.
    Jay Feeley is good from 33 yards. 13-0 CLE
    Both teams punt it away on their next possessions.

4th Quarter.
    Feeley is good from 45 yards.
    The Browns secondary gets their third pick of the day, Cox making an endzone grab while Witten, the intended receiver on the play is left grasping at thin air.
    The Browns run and kneel the clock down getting it down to 43 seconds before having to punt it away.
    Cox gets his second pick of the game, this time denying Edelman the completion.
    Dalton kneels down and this one is over.

Final score 16-0 Browns.

AFC North is very much any ones game, (bar the Steelers) after this fierce matchup in which 5 players were sent to the medical centre. Ravens LB's Jonathon Goff will be out for 3 weeks with a dislocated elbow, and Chris Gocong who suffered a strain to the quadricep should be good to go after a well earned bye week.

Bengals are 4-3
    Ravens are 4-4
    Browns are 3-5

Well done Dave!
    I knew at least one of my predictions would come true :D:D

The Browns are going to need to shut down former Tennessee man Michael Bush in order to get the Ravens airing it out, I think the Browns HB is going to cause the Ravens line some problems and will be the reason the Browns will get on the score board but unless the Browns D comes up with turnovers it's going to be a Ravens victory.

Ravens by 10

Got it in one.
    Well done Dave!
    I knew at least one of my predictions would come true :D:D
    But you predicted that I would lose :confused::o "Ravens by 10"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Shane.C wrote: »
    horrible watch, absolute scumbag!

What does this post mean?

Got it in one.

But you predicted that I would lose :confused::o "Ravens by 10"

Fcuk thats what happens when your hungover :P I was sure i said the browns would win :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Raiders are back, but Matt Schaub has thrown a bad pass for the last time, and the same goes for Wes Welker and running a streak route. The Jimmy Clausen era begins. Sorry if some people got annoyed by my attitude over the last couple of days. I probably won't get that angry again because there's little at stake.

A rebuilding process begins, and I hope to get something for Wes Welker and Matt Schaub in trading in the offseason.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Watch the link in the boards post i have linked to a few posts above....

I think he is on about the video of the guy hitting his wife in Heli's link?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

probably bout the PS3 video

• Advertisement

I think he is on about the video of the guy hitting his wife in Heli's link?
    etloveslsd wrote: »
    probably bout the PS3 video

We should change the name to Madden XBox only forum
    Sorry will remove the link shortly, probably not suitable for this anyway

Advertisement