Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens' Hospital Planning Refusal [PR]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

The problem is that these beautiful houses have been let go to absolute ****. The suburbanisation brigade prefers a new build semi-d to restoring and modernising inner city buildings.

You need activity and services and money put into an area to ignite that revival. It won't happen without the mater development or something else similar.
    IMO the problems of the Dorset St catchment area far exceed the capacity of one development to rectify. (For all the difference the current Mater has made!)

There's simply too high a concentration of dodgy flats and dodgy types hanging around. Prosperous restorers aren't going to take punt on neighbourhoods with substantial deprivation and a general feeling of malaise. It's hard enough to get people to commit to moving into the south inner city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

MadsL wrote: »
    IrlDubNthGGStSq3X11.jpg

henrietta_street_lge.jpg

dublin_kings_inns.jpg

DUB%20Dublin%20-%20Capel%20Street%20view%20towards%20Grattan%20Bridge%20and%20City%20Hall%20from%20Capel%20Street%203008x2000.jpg

cFOGCzJZZRuDbHCQSYlD0abxhHv37uK7ll5cXJ9wTG9tPXBpZSZlPTQwMHgzMDA=.jpg

bless1.jpg

Sure, complete hole....

Goota love Henietta street

GUEsBfswDb8eNq3suu37GRjedF4Af5mIO1txaIg_TqNtPXBpZSZlPTQwMHgzMDA=.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

rodento wrote: »
    Goota love Henietta street

GUEsBfswDb8eNq3suu37GRjedF4Af5mIO1txaIg_TqNtPXBpZSZlPTQwMHgzMDA=.jpg
    Too bad it doesn't look that good :(

Too bad it doesn't look that good :(
    I walk past it quite a lot. It's a cut and paste apartment building. Quite a banal building to stick on the corner of one of Dublin's most historic streets. Not a 'Pillar of Hercules' by any means!

McDave wrote: »
    I walk past it quite a lot. It's a cut and paste apartment building. Quite a banal building to stick on the corner of one of Dublin's most historic streets. Not a 'Pillar of Hercules' by any means!
    I could have told you from that image posted that in a few months time it would look drab and discoloured. It may work in Spain or Portugal, but you have to factor in the dirt, rain and pollution in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

There's simply too high a concentration of dodgy flats and dodgy types hanging around.
    What's a dodgy type?

later12 wrote: »
    What's a dodgy type?
    ?

Come now. Surely you can make a decent stab at answering that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I sense this descending into Northside/Southside debate. Can we not do that please.

?

Come now. Surely you can make a decent stab at answering that yourself.

Well I don't want to derail this thread, the childrens' hospital is an important topic; but no... not at all, in fact. I was in Dublin over the weekend, I was up around Parnell Square. I wasn't aware I was being surrounded by dodgy types. Perhaps dodgy types can be identified in some way? Clothing, perhaps? Accents?

I hope I'm not detecting some sort of class hauteur.

Can we not do that please.

^

• Advertisement

MadsL maybe you should report a post instead of quoting yourself. I think many arguments should be taken into account in discussing the merits or otherwise of the North Inner City as a location for the Childrens' Hospital... if some people think the character of the local residents is one such argument then that should be challenged/ debated.

MadsL maybe you should report a post instead of quoting yourself. I think many arguments should be taken into account in discussing the merits or otherwise of the North Inner City as a location for the Childrens' Hospital... if some people think the character of the local residents is one such argument then that should be challenged/ debated.

Wasn't trying to mod...just setting a signpost for where I fear this is going.

I'm astonished that you think that we could actually have a serious debate on the merits or otherwise of the North Inner City as a location for the Childrens' Hospital based on the character of the local residents.

Mind, boggled.

Well I don't want to derail this thread, the childrens' hospital is an important topic; but no... not at all, in fact. I was in Dublin over the weekend, I was up around Parnell Square. I wasn't aware I was being surrounded by dodgy types. Perhaps dodgy types can be identified in some way? Clothing, perhaps? Accents?

I hope I'm not detecting some sort of class hauteur.
    Junkies. Drunks. Swearing. Attitude. Pyjamas. Litter.

I'm up around Dorset St, Parnell St, Parnell Sq, Capel St, Bolton St. on a regular basis. There's no getting away from the tone.

It's all very well to dismiss 'middle class' perceptions of behaviour as snobbery, but people make decisions on where they live based on neighbourhoods and the kind of people their children are likely to associate with.

I'm pretty much a middle class guy myself. I've lived in the inner south city centre for nigh on two decades now. As a resident I have no misconceptions about the atmosphere on the inner city streets. It's not all bad by any means. But it's fairly obvious to me that very few people opt to move in and stay long term in the inner south city, let alone the northern quarters.

I'm afraid that affects many of the streets directly around the Mater. Which of course is no reason to drop an aircraft carrier in the area. After all, if some of the area's past glories are retained, it may in due course enjoy positive development.

Some, not all.

To be fair to me, earlier in this thread, I was criticising John Crown for suggesting the area was nothing special and that consequently there was little reason not to dump this development there. I saw that as a gratuitous dismissal of local concerns. I also interjected to defend the positive Georgian and other features of the north inner city.

However, neither am I going to ignore the problems that beset the areas around Dorset St.

Junkies. Drunks. Swearing. Attitude. Pyjamas. Litter.
    Ok, that's that answered so. I don't personally recall any serious swearing calamities on the Northside of the inner city during my incursions there. I wasn't aware that wearing a pair of PJs was dodgy activity. I don't find alcoholics so much dodgy as tragic, and I wonder what evidence there might be to suggest a greater incidence of alcoholism in that region than elsewhere.

However, I'm with you on the litter. Those oafish, suited public officials responsible for the degeneration of the North Inner City up to and including the present day certainly have much to answer for.

How and ever, I should thank you for explaining who the dodgy set are.

But I still don't know why "too high a concentration of... dodgy types" should affect the recuperation of sick children and the ability of the medical staff to do their jobs.

In fairness, the Mater site and surroundings have a reputation of being "dodgy" even around the North city. However, I only ever find that it could be perceived that way at night and I don't feel particularly uncomfortable whenever I've been around there in the evening.

Always thought the other end of NCR was 'dodgier'.

Never had any serious issues living 6+ in the North Inner city..(Smithfield)

Ok, that's that answered so. I don't personally recall any serious swearing calamities on the Northside of the inner city during my incursions there. I wasn't aware that wearing a pair of PJs was dodgy activity. I don't find alcoholics so much dodgy as tragic, and I wonder what evidence there might be to suggest a greater incidence of alcoholism in that region than elsewhere.

However, I'm with you on the litter. Those oafish, suited public officials responsible for the degeneration of the North Inner City up to and including the present day certainly have much to answer for.

How and ever, I should thank you for explaining who the dodgy set are.

But I still don't know why "too high a concentration of... dodgy types" should affect the recuperation of sick children and the ability of the medical staff to do their jobs.
    From living in another part of the inner city, I'd venture to say it's the cumulation of these factors which can wear down your willingness to commit to living there permanently, not any one in isolation. While the economy was on the so-called 'up', I was prepared to buy into the potential for the sustainable development of inner city Dublin. Now I'm not so sure any more.

The 'dodgy' point isn't meant to speak to the ability of a hospital to function. It is more to illustrate that a relatively beleaguered area won't [IMO of course] be enhanced by a greater depersonalisation of the local environment brought about by an outsized development dominating the skyline of a mostly residential area, blocking sunlight and bringing in yet more traffic and congestion. If anything, the Mater proposal may devalue the area further. Whether one agrees or not, we are talking on one level about serious planning and environmental issues.

My feeling is that the Mater proposal is basically a decent concept, but badly located for all the wrong reasons. I'd rather see the north inner city developed in a manner which improves the quality of life for the people who live there and make it likelier to attract a wider class make-up which it hasn't witnessed since its heyday two centuries ago. I don't think the Mater proposal does this at all.

Always thought the other end of NCR was 'dodgier'.

Never had any serious issues living 6+ in the North Inner city..(Smithfield)
    I don't find either dodgy myself, just saying that there may be a disagreement about the area (whether it is or isn't is subjective IMO) but that is at least a rumour that you hear often about the Mater area. Again, I have no problems with it whatsoever; but I understand that people may have heard that or may believe it themselves for whatever reason. I've lived half of my life on the southside and half on the almost inner northside and I'm not uncomfortable around Dorset Street or the Mater.

I'm not concerned with the aesthetics of the project, just think that it would be better if they located it elsewhere off the M50. That site should be able to accommodate a full childerns hospital and not one with some elements in one hospital and a day treatment centre elsewhere.

The mater site would be a complete traffic nightmare and all I can see is the ambulance service been turned into a taxi service as childs get sent from one hospital to another

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    I'm not concerned with the aesthetics of the project, just think that it would be better if they located it elsewhere off the M50. That site should be able to accommodate a full childerns hospital and not one with some elements in one hospital and a day treatment centre elsewhere.
    But this was going to be a full children's hospital.
    The mater site would be a complete traffic nightmare and all I can see is the ambulance service been turned into a taxi service as childs get sent from one hospital to another
    What? Why would the child need to be sent elsewhere? Or are you meaning the children being brought into the hospital; the ambulances have these lights and make noises quite often. Doesn't seem to be an issue in any other western city that I can think of to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

FS, there was no proviso for research. None, zilch, nada. Research (according to the studies I've read) is as important as co-location with an Adult Hospital when it comes to how successful a large Children's Hospital will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

I honestly cant believe that anyone can try to justify this unbelievably ugly proposal. Notwithstanding any issues of practicality, suitability of location or co-location etc. its simply one of the ugliest and most inappropriate building proposals I have ever seen.

Someone mentioned Belfast City Hospital in an earlier post:

belfastskyline1.jpg

As he said, not a looker by any means and very dominant on the city skyline. Now imagine something like this looming over most approaches to the city from the north:

belfastskyline.jpg

The National Childrens Hospital proposal was the same height and almost FIVE times longer than Belfast City Hospital. Seriously, it would have been a monstrosity by anyones standards, a massive shiny turd dropped on the North Inner City from a great height. Thank god someone finally saw sense and put a stop to what would have been the biggest ever act of vandalism to Dublin City. The scandal isnt the decision by ABP, its that such an utterly vile and ridiculous proposal ever got further than a scribble on an architects sketchbook.

panarama147.png

Hospital6.jpg

Of course you will always have idiots making their enlightened argument that since the Northside is already so run down and ugly in places, it doesn't matter what effect this ridiculously overscaled piece of crap will have. Such nonsense just makes me despair at just how visually illiterate we can be.

But this was going to be a full children's hospital.
    Guess you look at this

www.newchildrenshospital.ie/

The Children's Hospital of Ireland will also include an ambulatory and urgent care centre at Tallaght which will provide out-patient, day-care and emergency care services primarily for families in the south-side of the city.

Reading this I think the plan is to have all day care treatments in another centre

citycentre wrote: »
    I honestly cant believe that anyone can try to justify this unbelievably ugly proposal. Notwithstanding any issues of practicality, suitability of location or co-location etc. its simply one of the ugliest and most inappropriate building proposals I have ever seen.
    I have to agree on the design aspect. To me it is a very ugly building. An architect can have an idea, sell it and then move on to the next project. But the city has to live with the consequences of the state-sponsored egotism of an aspiring starchitect.

"A Doctor can bury his mistakes, an Architect can only advise his clients to plant vines" - FL Wright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Am I the only one who actually quite likes the proposed building? :confused:

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually quite likes the proposed building? :confused:
    I really liked it. People who complain about how it looks are generally anti-"high rise" and wouldn't like anything they built. Either that or they are just against the site and criticise the building. It's a very modern and pretty building that will never be built in Ireland because there is some weird attachment to ugly buildings (see: the current extension being built onto the Mater)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I really liked it. People who complain about how it looks are generally anti-"high rise" and wouldn't like anything they built. Either that or they are just against the site and criticise the building. It's a very modern and pretty building that will never be built in Ireland because there is some weird attachment to ugly buildings (see: the current extension being built onto the Mater)

How about you stick to why you like it instead of pretending you know why everyone who doesn't like it - doesn't like it? If your opinion is so shallowly held that you can't take any disagreement with it, you might be better off not posting on a discussion forum where people can disagree with you.

This is hardly the first time on thread where you labelled all those who disagree with you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    How about you stick to why you like it instead of pretending you know why everyone who doesn't like it - doesn't like it? If your opinion is so shallowly held that you can't take any disagreement with it, you might be better off not posting on a discussion forum where people can disagree with you.

This is hardly the first time on thread where you labelled all those who disagree with you :rolleyes:
    Pretending to know? I said that people who don't like it are generally anti-"high rise". I haven't seen one opinion on the building's design other than "monstrosity" and "huge" and "ugly" - so generally no opinion other than being against "big" buildings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement