Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland vs France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

When is Visser elegible. He is a serious player with real gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

When is Visser elegible. He is a serious player with real gas.

In june of this year I think. Great player going forward, but turns like a double decker bus and for a big guy he can't defend worth a damn.

Havent seen much of him but he always seems to get tries for Edinburgh. Id imagine hed take place in Scot team.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In june of this year I think. Great player going forward, but turns like a double decker bus and for a big guy he can't defend worth a damn.

I'd still have in the team for his attacking ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    All these players were fantastic today

Ford got through a scary amount of work and is one of the most underrated hookers in the NH IMO. He nearly sent Swarzeski two feet under when he lined him up early on. Didn't miss a throw all day either I think

Lamont and Morrison are a solid midfield paring, and to be honest I'd swap them for Earls and Darcy next week in a heartbeat. Morrison in particular made some serious yards today

De Luca had his best game of the championship off the bench. Made one or two breaks and somehow picked that ball off his shoelaces in the second half

None of these guys are exactly spring chickens but they're going to play a crucial role in the development of the likes of Hogg, Denton and Weir.

Personally I fear the Scots coming to Dublin

They were good today alright but one swallow doesn't make a girlfriend.

They still made plenty of their customary basic errors today as well - knock ons, missed tackles, the usual and were beaten at home by an underperforming French team fair and square. If those players were up to it Scotland wouldn't find themselves in the bottom two of the table where they've repeatedly been over the last decade or so. I would absolutely not swap our centres for theirs - and I say that having watched a lot of Scottish rugby in recent years. If we play at the level we played in the second half against Italy for the full 80 I am confident that we will have enough to beat them in Dublin.

In answer to the Visser question I believe he will be available for the summer tour if picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He's an unbelievable sidestep too. Himself, Hogg and Jones will be some pacey back 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Any word on Lamont actually? Jesus it looked horrible

Suspected broken leg.
    Visser is a big guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

They were good today alright but one swallow doesn't make a girlfriend.

Never heard that before. So wise - and poignant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Any word on Lamont actually? Jesus it looked horrible
    Suspected broken leg.
    Visser is a big guy too.

Does not sound good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17173562
    Scotland winger Rory Lamont has suffered a suspected broken leg in the 23-17 defeat by France at Murrayfield.

The 29-year-old required oxygen treatment and was stretchered off after 30 minutes when his lower leg twisted awkwardly after he contested a restart.

In addition to Lamont's misfortune, Scotland saw two other players depart with injuries.

Scrum-half Mike Blair was forced off with a dead leg, while fly-half Greig Laidlaw suffered a head knock.

Scotland were leading 10-7 when Lamont came off worse after competing with Louis Picamoles for the restart kick following Wesley Fofana's try for France.

Play was delayed for around five minutes while the Glasgow player was treated and then carried off, while Blair - who had injected energy into Scotland's early endeavours - also departed at the same time.

"We lacked a little bit of composure when Rory Lamont went off just before half-time, which allowed France back into the game," said coach Andy Robinson.

Lamont, who has won 29 caps, made a try-scoring debut for Scotland against Wales in 2005, but his career has been blighted by injuries.

He underwent eight operations in six years up until 2009, the year he was forced to miss the entire Six Nations after suffering ankle ligament damage while playing for Sale in a Heineken Cup game in late 2008.

At the time he said he believed his abrasive style of play made him more susceptible to injuries .

• Advertisement

not good, I like the Lamont brothers too.

The incident was dealt with very well infairness to Barnes. Oxegen straight out then and he was off the field within 5 minutes.

Broke my femur playing a game when I was younger so I can always squirm watching incidents like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Any news on Medard yet?? Available for next week???

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thanos wrote: »
    Unlikely

Anyone else think it was in bad taste for Medard to boot the ball into the crowd?

Shades of Burger in Croker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Anyone else think it was in bad taste for Medard to boot the ball into the crowd?

f**k bad taste, its not an art auction

NinjaK wrote: »
    f**k bad taste, its not an art auction

Little sportsman ship wouldn´t go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Burger dipped his fingers into Fitzgerald's face, Medard just scored after some of the best counter attacking rugby from both sides I've seen in the 6 nations in a long time.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Burger dipped his fingers into Fitzgerald's face, Medard just scored after some of the best counter attacking rugby from both sides I've seen in the 6 nations in a long time.

nothing worng with celebrating but why boot the ball into a crowd of opposition fans? Not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

nothing worng with celebrating but why boot the ball into a crowd of opposition fans? Not nice

He was elated and showed that through booting a ball into the air. It was a momentary show of real emotion and showed how much it meant to him not a mean spirited act to rile the home crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

yimrsg wrote: »
    He was elated and showed that through booting a ball into the air. It was a momentary show of real emotion and showed how much it meant to him not a mean spirited act to rile the home crowd.

see nothing wrong with that. Don't think that was meaning any bad. Just scored a try after conceding one and showed some reaction.

We're not at all blacks level of childish reaction here, ask Conrad Smith :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Thanos wrote: »

Medard out (don't know yet for how long). Poitrenaud (comes back) in.

Strange game yesterday from the French. I thought PSA was making a big deal of that game beforehand, fearing the Scots intensity (the many phases of attack they are capable of doing and doing and doing ...) and the French fatigue (or was it lack of rhythm?). Well, it looks like he knew what he was talking about... Maybe some kind of strategy (play a defensive game and try exploiting at best our counter attacks, let the ball to the Scots hoping they'll suffer from their everlasting lack of efficiency) not to "burn" ourselves with these 4 6N fixtures in a row :confused:.
    It'll be interesting to see how we play next week-end ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Aïe aïe aïe :(. Medard out for the whole 6 Nations. Maybe out for the season...

Anterior cruciate ligament straining (without total failure) and medial collateral ligament sprain of his right knee.Bad news for France & Toulouse and espcially for him...

=>
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Medard-le-verdict/266628

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

iroced wrote: »
    Aïe aïe aïe :(. Medard out for the whole 6 Nations. Maybe out for the season...

Anterior cruciate ligament straining (without total failure) and medial collateral ligament sprain of his right knee.Bad news for France & Toulouse and espcially for him...

=>
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Medard-le-verdict/266628

I dont speak foreign :D, feel bad for the guy though he looked like he was gonna have a great tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Ireland has a real chance on Sunday against this team.

I believe PSA will be choosing the same starting 15 (excluding Médard of course) which means we have 3 pathetic players out of 15:

Szarzewski: useless at everything. Poor in the line-out, poor in the scrum, can't tackle and loses the ball every time he touches it. Woeful player.

Rougerie: never breaks the line, never offloads after the tackle and still hasn't succeeded in making his first rugby tackle. Useless player.

Trinh-Duc: I believe he doesn't understand he's the number 10 as he plays like a true number 12 and refuses to pass the ball to the back line. Poor player at best.

And with Poitrenaud who NEVER performs when playing in blue, I think we're in trouble this week-end...

One thing I'm happy about regarding the Scotland game though is that 2 or 3 years ago I think we would have lost that game. I'm convinced Dusautoir is responsible for this win by refusing to give up and leading by example. What a player he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

We should just play our 5 **** (according to some boardies) players against your 3 **** ones and see what happens :p.

As an Irish supporter the one thing that the Scottish game showed was some of the HUGE gaping holes in the French defence when put under pressure, the Scots just didn't capitalise on it. Unfortunately though that is something the Irish squad hasn't perfected either recently.

I believe PSA will be choosing the same starting 15 (excluding Médard of course) which means we have 3 pathetic players out of 15:

Szarzewski: useless at everything. Poor in the line-out, poor in the scrum, can't tackle and loses the ball every time he touches it. Woeful player.

Rougerie: never breaks the line, never offloads after the tackle and still hasn't succeeded in making his first rugby tackle. Useless player.

Trinh-Duc: I believe he doesn't understand he's the number 10 as he plays like a true number 12 and refuses to pass the ball to the back line. Poor player at best.

And with Poitrenaud who NEVER performs when playing in blue, I think we're in trouble this week-end...

One thing I'm happy about regarding the Scotland game though is that 2 or 3 years ago I think we would have lost that game. I'm convinced Dusautoir is responsible for this win by refusing to give up and leading by example. What a player he is!

This is the most hilariously inaccurate thing I've read on this forum

Are you basing your opinion on him on one game or something!?

He's one of the most consistent French players of the last 5 years, do you not remember him running over Darcy last year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

To follow this up with your next post is absolutely hilarious, well played.

The players named in no way represent weak points in the French line-up, with the exception of Szarzevski perhaps.

As an aside, I thought Rougerie did some job in defense on Sunday - his counter-rucking was immense and a constant threat to clean ball for the Scots. He's like having another Bonnaire on the field once it comes to the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Harsh on Rougerie and Poitrenaud.

Rougerie is probably one of the best centers in the world. He's only gotten better with age as well IMO. The try he scored against Italy still shows how he can read the game two or three phases before the ball ever gets to him. Having said that, I don't think that's a good example nor is the D'arcy missed tackle - both made him look good.

But he's been sterling for Clermont. A joy to watch. Leads from example. In many ways he's like BOD in the way he gets involved in the breakdown. He's like having a third flanker on the pitch. Sure, maybe he hasn't got the flare the French backs are recognized for, but he's definitely a super center and asks some serious questions on some teams defense.

Poitrenaud I'll agree doesn't play the same way he plays for Toulouse when in a blue shirt. But at the age he is now I think he'll start to enjoy the game and lighten up, which imo has been his downfall. He's had some unreal games for Toulouse this season, and whilst he's been plagued with injuries it may limit his distance game, I can see him being a try scorer if France decide to play him tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lamont out for the season too.
    Confirmed he broke his leg from that bad fall after the French restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

This is the most hilariously inaccurate thing I've read on this forum

Are you basing your opinion on him on one game or something!?

He's one of the most consistent French players of the last 5 years, do you not remember him running over Darcy last year?!
    When I think "Rougerie" I think "Missed tackle leading to a try". That has been the case since 2002. He can't tackle to save his life.

Yeah sure, he's powerful an can somtimes score some tries but next time look at him closely and you'll see how poor he actually is.

Advertisement