Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Links, I too cannot believe that some people think that ad is acceptable.
    P.P obviously want to cause controversy and don't care who they offend or hurt.
    I hate when people dismiss others people's views by just having the attitude 'ooh, touchy!' 'someone needs a sense of humour transplant' etc.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Mr.Boyfriend is on his way to my house at the moment and is going to pick up some fish and chips for our dinner. I have really missed him the past couple of days and cant wait to see him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think I might need an exorcist for this child...

Gotta love 2 year olds, 'specially boy ones :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I got my college results today - I'm so happy with them :) Almost all A's and B's :D

Mexican Feast in celebration :cool:

Linked coz it's a big Pic and I can't resize :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Well done lola92.............Delighted for ya girl x:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Posy wrote: »
    Links, I too cannot believe that some people think that ad is acceptable.
    P.P obviously want to cause controversy and don't care who they offend or hurt.
    I hate when people dismiss others people's views by just having the attitude 'ooh, touchy!' 'someone needs a sense of humour transplant' etc.. :rolleyes:
    that's what really gets me too, the dismissive attitudes are horrible :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Gotta love 2 year olds, 'specially boy ones :cool:

I had to put him to bed, he was nutty.

Sitting down now with a cup of tea and some writing, hope my head works after all the brain killing whining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm really disgusted that so many people seem to be defending that disgusting Paddy Power ad :(

Oh my god :eek: Just watched that now. At the start I was sort of thinking "Okay how can this get offensive?" and then... that is absolutely disgraceful. It's so easy for their marketing team to make fun of something they clearly can not comprehend in their simple little bigoted minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

What's the Paddy Power ad? Youtube won't open at all for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lola92 wrote: »
    I got my college results today - I'm so happy with them :) Almost all A's and B's :D

Mexican Feast in celebration :cool:

Linked coz it's a big Pic and I can't resize :/
    Congrats on your exams Lola.

The foods look delicious.

Got a pack of two Duck Confit in Dunnes today for €4.49, think they are nearly €10 usually, so I got some. Going to have some tonight for dinner, might even do some garlic spuds with it.

Was in Penneys too and got a cute shirt for €2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Oh, my brain hurts!!:(:(

Acoshla wrote: »
    What's the Paddy Power ad? Youtube won't open at all for me...

the ad starts with someone saying how they can't wait for ladies day at an event so they can check out all the good look ladies, and Paddy Power says we're gonna make things more interesting by sending transgender ladies along to the event. the ad then goes on to show various trans women, the voice over calling them men, refering to them as male, showing one coming out of the men's toilets... basically the whole premise of the ad is Paddy Power saying "We're gonna trick you into finding MEN attractive! HAHAHAHAHA!"

one of the most seriously dehumanizing and harmful stereotypes to transgender women is that they're out to "trick" unsuspecting straight guys, it's a trope that paints trans women as predatory. The Paddy Power ad is just another in a long line of media depictions that reinforces this trope, just like the disgusting TV show There's Something About Miriam, and Jerry Springer's horrific staged antics... it's feeding into cultural attitudes towards trans women, in a culture that already hates and despises us, and all too often seems to want to cause us harm. I won't say that the ad is "offensive" because I think that being offended isn't the correct response to this, it's not relevant. this ad, I think, is dangerous in that it reinforces public opinion about a very tiny and extremely vulnerable minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm just angry or if I have a form of touretts. If it was the latter life would be so much easier cuz I really want to tell everyone to **** off right now, without being offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my friend just sent me this to cheer me up!

its very strange but it did the job hahaha

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

they said trans people made it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

5 weeks tomorrow and I'll be heading off to Australia and get to see my boyfriend :D Haven't seen him in 13 weeks, can't wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

ahh better

bluewolf wrote: »
    they said trans people made it though

there were trans women cast in the ad, but that doesn't make it any less disgusting and reprehensible. sure There's Something About Miriam also featured an actual, live, honest-to-god trans person, omg! still a horrible program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I doubt it's purpose was to offend anyone.

I doubt it's purpose was to offend anyone.
    I'd say that's exactly what they had in mind, outrage drums up publicity. I'd say it probably turned out exactly like they wanted.

• Advertisement

there were trans women cast in the ad, but that doesn't make it any less disgusting and reprehensible. sure There's Something About Miriam also featured an actual, live, honest-to-god trans person, omg! still a horrible program
    Prostitution is still, in my opinion, degrading and dangerous even though many women make the choice to sell their bodies for money. Just because some trans gender people were in the ad doesn't mean other trans gender men or women won't be upset by the advert. Maybe Paddy Power thought that trans gender people wouldn't complain about it because there were 'real' trans people in it. :rolleyes:
    I'm surprised that trans gender women would agree to be essentially laughed at for the purposes of advertising, but I'm not going to judge anyone's choice to make a few bob being in a TV ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

If their goal was to get peoples attention they've got it, but not from the ad itself, but from you discussing it.

I don't find the ad offensive.

I'd say that's exactly what they had in mind, outrage drums up publicity. I'd say it probably turned out exactly like they wanted.
    Spot on.
    I don't think I would have ever heard of that Hunky Dory's ad only for the allegations of sexism and controversy over it.

well good for you

the ad caused a great deal of personal hurt for me, not only did I find the ad horrible, I was there when my girlfriend checked her facebook and saw it, and saw just how upset and angry it made her. it really hurt to see how the ad affected someone I care about so deeply.

There is a thread for discussion of the Paddy Power ad if people want to talk about it in more detail. :)

No word on baby Pancake yet, come on Ivy! :D

Posy wrote: »
    There is a thread for discussion of the Paddy Power ad if people want to talk about it in more detail. :)
    where?

Here in the LGBT forum. :)
    It's where I first seen the ad! :o

ah, never posting in that forum again.

I think I'm just gonna go to bed in a bit, watch something fun and try to get my mind of things...

might have some pre-bed icecream

might have some pre-bed icecream
    Oooh, what flavour?? :p:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That doesn't mean that other people won't find it offensive - particularly an ad that picks on as many offensive stereotypes as this one does.

This doesn't surprise me at all from Paddy Power though - a company known for such gems as ads where odds were offered on whether old women would make it across a road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement