Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

After looking at the pics thread I noticed that I have as well.

You said it was our secret.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

To me you saying you dont fancy someone means you arent attracted to them.

Saying you have no interest in someone says to me you have no interest in them in any way at all,friends or otherwise.

Also,everyone has some level of ego.You said yourself you have tried to get replies from people you had no interest in in order to gain some confidence.That is an ego or an attempt to build one.

Well I'm not looking for friends first and foremost, but 2nd on the list is friends.

Not fancying and not having an interest in them is the same thing I think, I'd be friends with anyone as long as they're nice?

And for me, ego is like arrogance, not confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

You said it was our secret.
    :mad:

You said it was our secret! :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,535 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

awec wrote: »
    How many dates do people usually try before they move it to the next level? I know every case is different, and 1 is probably too few and 10 probably a bit long, but what do people usually think?

Just being curious! :pac:

Next level? Holding hands??

Ah, it just depends, like any other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

How do some people not realise that long paragraphs in caps about "NO TIMEWASTERS, ANYONE STILL HUNG UP ON THEIR EX, NO TIRE KICKERS, GOLD DIGGERS, SUPERFICIAL WOMEN" blah blah just makes them sound nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

hollypink wrote: »
    How do some people not realise that long paragraphs in caps about "NO TIMEWASTERS, ANYONE STILL HUNG UP ON THEIR EX, NO TIRE KICKERS, GOLD DIGGERS, SUPERFICIAL WOMEN" blah blah just makes them sound nuts?

You get the same on womens profiles, "No cheats or liars because ive been messed about before" or ive lost count of the number of profiles that start with "Im just out of a relationship...." do people not read thier own profiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

You get the same on womens profiles, "No cheats or liars because ive been messed about before" or ive lost count of the number of profiles that start with "Im just out of a relationship...." do people not read thier own profiles?

Yeah I've no doubt it isnt exclusive to men! Still I'm thinking of adding something similar to my profile: IF YOU ARENT A HUGE FATHER TED FAN, MOVE ON. ALSO DONT CALL ME HUN. ALSO DONT TELL ME I LOOK GOOD "FOR MY AGE"
    :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

ok, im out..... :)

I'll try and post a proper long post about my experience listing the total cost of the paid site, messages sent, messages responded to, dates and so on....but its 7:30 AM and I’m at work so i should probably wait for a better time.

Basically I’ve met a few girls online, i went out with one for a few months...which was a big mistake and then when we broke up i couldn’t resist diving back into it. I met up with two others and everything was fine and they were pretty but there was nothing special and after a few bad relationships I’d forgotten that there should be a spark.

so anyway i messaged one more girl with no pic, she responded straight away and after 3 days of emails we agreed to meet for a mid afternoon coffee and we just clicked straight away. After date 3 I brought up deleting profiles and i couldn’t be happier! She’s great, we get on really well and she's gorgeous.

god i hope i don’t jinx it by posting about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In reference to these messages:

Fatther-Ted-down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

I've come across quite a few profiles with a list of things not to do. They put so much effort into it that they forget to write a bit about themselves. :/

And another thing! (:P)
    If you dont live in Dublin dont list yourself as being located in Dublin!
    The following counties are not in Dublin: Louth, Wicklow, Meath, Kildare.

edit: Argentina is not in Dublin either. I kid you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Galvasean wrote: »

Came across a profile today with her location listed as Perth, Dublin.
    Her profile states she used to live in dublin but just recently moved to Perth Australia......
    Then why do you still have dublin on your profile so you come up in people from dublins matches? The stupidity annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Galvasean wrote: »

edit: Argentina is not in Dublin either. I kid you not!

Eh! There might be a Dublin in Argentina... Somewhere!... Just sayin.....:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How many dates do people usually try before they move it to the next level? I know every case is different, and 1 is probably too few and 10 probably a bit long, but what do people usually think?

Just being curious! :pac:

You've got to kill the boss first before going onto the next level.

:pac:
    Or each other

There's been a few that have.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I just came across the profile of possibly the most onbonxious person on the world.. (and possibly perverted!)

But seriously, why do people do this? He's written so many negative things about himself that I don't know how any sane girl would dream of contacting him... and the girls that do, well he wrote about them in his profile!

I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dating sites are not immune to the attentions of strange people. There are some people who actually get off on the idea of offending, hurting, upsetting others. Dating sites provide a great opportunity especially if they aren't well moderated. It's a bit like an update on the dirty phone call :D

Women also post strange profiles.

Discodog wrote: »
    Dating sites are not immune to the attentions of strange people. There are some people who actually get off on the idea of offending, hurting, upsetting others. Dating sites provide a great opportunity especially if they aren't well moderated. It's a bit like an update on the dirty phone call :D

Sometimes you think they must be trolling.
    That girl on POF that assigns you various peculiar "what would you do if..." questions when you mail her is still there*. Now, she can't honestly be looking for a date can she? Since numerous people on this thread have encountered this odd behaviour (from PMing other 'victims' I can conclude it is indeed the same person doing it) she must just do it as some form of weird hobby. Does she talk properly to guys she likes who can say?
    Then there's that other girl on POF with the extraordinarily specific requirements (height to the inch, hair colour, eye colour among several other things). Either the girl has some sort of manic obsessive compulsive disorder or she's just trolling.

*POF would be so much easier if it had a 'hide' button like OKC. It can be such a chore to search between people with txt speak profiles, people you don't find in any way attractive, have seen their profiles pop up a hundred times before, have mailed previously with no success, the nutjobs and the trolls... If you could click hide along the way I reckon you'd find better matches much quicker. But they don't want that do they? Their marketing strategy is clearly to have you spend as much time as possible on the site to increase advert revenue while trying to sell you 'premium' features that you think might make your experience less laborious.
    Compared that to OKC. (despite it's much lower user base) The site really does seem designed to actually help you find someone. I suppose their marketing plan is that successful users will recommend the site to others, while POF seem happy to revel in people's frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Hollypop

I joined pof nearly 3 weeks ago.
    I was bullied into it by my friend ( you know who you are) as I've been single for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, enjoy being single for most of the time but I think it would be nice to go on some dates and get out more. Bit sceptical about it but sure thought I'd give it a go.
    I think in fairness guys do a lot more mailing than the girls. Well I suppose I can only speak from personal experience.
    I got a mail 5 mins ago from an 18 year old looking to hook up. I'm 37 ffs. His mum is probably my age. I do laugh at these mails but I don't answer. Maybe if they've taken time to type a long mail I text back and say " sorry but you're a bit young".

A lot of really nice guys on the pof site ( a few lunatics but easily spotted )

Id love to give a bit of advice to you guys out there who aren't getting replies, but I'd say I'd be bombarded with abuse. ;)

Enjoying reading this thread though. Not a huge poster but couldn't resist this one.

Hollypop wrote: »
    Id love to give a bit of advice to you guys out there who aren't getting replies, but I'd say I'd be bombarded with abuse. ;)

aww, such a tease! :P
    What makes you think you'd get abuse for trying to help people out?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Ok so I am meeting a guy on Saturday for the first time lol ....we are going for drinks.. we are both really indecisive though ...we can either meet somewhere in town or he said he can come and meet me in a pub close to wear I live ...I dont know what would be better :/

Also I am beyond nervous ....

Ok so I am meeting a guy on Saturday for the first time lol ....we are going for drinks.. we are both really indecisive though ...we can either meet somewhere in town or he said he can come and meet me in a pub close to wear I live ...I dont know what would be better :/

If you know the town well & are comfortable there then choose it over a pub where you may see someone you know. Also you won't be so concerned about him finding out where you live until you are ready to tell him.

Hollypop wrote: »

No you won't. We can take it. It's part of being a man & having to deal with women :D. The women who post here make a huge contribution & are very welcome. I still find it amazing how the guys are surprised that female posters sometimes see things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Town. Netural venues/locations would be best.

mood wrote: »
    Town. Netural venues/locations would be best.

She could always do the "what will you be wearing trick" & meet somewhere where she can see him before he sees her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Discodog wrote: »

I do agree! But this lad wasn't as perverted as more... obnoxious! and a bit creepy.. as in, turned on by serial killers creepy.

And I also sensed he hated everyone. Now don't get me wrong, I hate people at the best of times but I wouldn't be suprised if he goes on a murderous rampage!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I do agree! But this lad wasn't as perverted as more... obnoxious! and a bit creepy.. as in, turned on by serial killers creepy.

And I also sensed he hated everyone. Now don't get me wrong, I hate people at the best of times but I wouldn't be suprised if he goes on a murderous rampage!

Maybe he was being sarcastic?

• Advertisement

y4992.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement