Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just checked out the Vital Ridge Racer review scores and it looks like they hover around the 6/10 mark.
    Not a must have then.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And Ridge Racer Unbounded doesn't count!
    Just checked out the Vital Ridge Racer review scores and it looks like they hover around the 6/10 mark.
    Not a must have then.. :(

To be fair, anything after Ridge Racer 2 doesn't count. Short of Rave Racer, all of the sequels were poor

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    To be fair, anything after Ridge Racer 2 doesn't count. Short of Rave Racer, all of the sequels were poor

You should have finished that with the following for some added authority -

'Now you'll have to excuse me, as I'm off to play a couple of laps on my Ridge Racer cab'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Haven't properly played a RR game since Revolution, so it wasn't on my radar anyway. Lumines has reviewed very well, though not sure how different it is to the previous games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, sorry but Rage Racer on the PS was pretty brilliant and the PSP titles are fantastic.
    I really like the 3DS game as well, for much the same reasons as the PSP editions.
    The 360 and PS3 games aren't terribly interesting, the PS3 one adding little to the 360 game at all.
    Ridge Racer 2?
    I know the arcade game, but that was Ridge Racer with a rear view mirror!
    Are you meaning Ridge Racer Revolution? That sun-soaked bit of brilliance on the PS?

Perhaps this really is a series that has had it's day, according to reports the Vita Ridge Racer is light on content, heavy on expecting you to download pay for more and even that content is poor.. :(

• Advertisement

I know the arcade game, but that was Ridge Racer with a rear view mirror!
    Are you meaning Ridge Racer Revolution? That sun-soaked bit of brilliance on the PS?

Perhaps this really is a series that has had it's day, according to reports the Vita Ridge Racer is light on content, heavy on expecting you to download pay for more and even that content is poor.. :(

Nope, I'd consider Ridge Racer 2 the definitive version, it was pretty much an enhanced version of the first. I do like Rave Racer too admittedly.

Never cared for any of the home console ports other than the PS1 or RR1. The series has definitely had its day.

I never liked Rave Racer at all, and in the PSP and 3DS "best of" Ridge Racers, those are the tracks I dislike the most, although Ridge Racer Type4 isn't too far behind.
    The series peaked with Rage Racer for me.
    I'd love to see, but won't, a HD version of Rage, it was a lovely combination of the Ridge Racer game, silky smooth handling and great track design, coupled with the racing leagues that were populating other racer titles.
    Plus the games palette was well thought out, it was relatively muted and created a certain naturalness that hasn't been seen in other members of the franchise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I liked the Ridge Racer games but they're so easy. I guess part of the fun is how easy it is too take a corner completely sideways but after the initial thrills once I beat the game or get bored of it because it had far too much padding (Ridge Racer 4 I'm looking at you) then there's not much else too it. Always much preferred the Sega racing games since took a hell of a lot of skill to control the vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

ghostchant wrote: »
    I could very well be reading this wrong, but you know that ridge racer and lumines are launch titles yeah?

Yeah, Lumines is already out in Japan I think and its a launch day title here as well as far as I know.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I liked the Ridge Racer games but they're so easy. I guess part of the fun is how easy it is too take a corner completely sideways but after the initial thrills once I beat the game or get bored of it because it had far too much padding (Ridge Racer 4 I'm looking at you) then there's not much else too it. Always much preferred the Sega racing games since took a hell of a lot of skill to control the vehicles.

Daytona had awful handling, nothing like a car, and, ok, Sega Rally is peerless I'll grant you that.
    Outrun suffers the same as Ridge Racer, once you figure out the trick to sliding the game becomes a whole lot easier.
    RRType4 was dreadful, I know a lot who loved it but there was nothing I liked about the game, worst game of the series bar R:Racing which is the Rise of the Robots of the driving genre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Daytona in the arcade had great handling, not realistic but fun just like ridge racer but a lot more challenging. The Saturn and DC ports had god awful handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

010ceafdb01113ba7316a68f7c4affc1-d4mispp.png
    [click to enlarge]

Outrun suffers the same as Ridge Racer, once you figure out the trick to sliding the game becomes a whole lot easier

I drifted the wrong way round a corner on the PS3 version. It doesn't get much easier than that :D

Yeah, I had one or two moments of dozing off playing and still somehow won!
    Same thing happened in the end battle in MGS4!

Not a good sign, tbh...
    I should get a job as a playtester, something is wrong if Ciderman finishes the game while in rem sleep...

There's something about Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP. Even though I've mastered the game to the point were I can finish it easily I still absolutely adore it and it's just such a rush. It's always gets a quick go once in a while.

Here's one for johnny ultimate on his favourite videogame topic, Christian games. Namely christian first person shooters in this case:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/christianfps/christianfps.htm

There's something about Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP. Even though I've mastered the game to the point were I can finish it easily I still absolutely adore it and it's just such a rush. It's always gets a quick go once in a while.

Outrun 2, on the Xbox it looked HD! All crisp lines and bright colours, then on the PSP it was magnificent. The 360 HD remake was less played than I thought, I guess we were spoiled by the other two editions, with all the different gameplay modes and both tracks.
    A wonderful game indeed and perfect for the five or ten minute blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Doge

Ciderman's idea of being wealthy....

psp2-jack-tretton.jpg

Steve SI's idea of being averagely wealthy.....

DSC03044-620x.jpg

:p

Plate those PSP's in gold and add platinum buttons and you'd be closer to the mark :P

waveform wrote: »

psp2-jack-tretton.jpg

DSC03044-620x.jpg

Pfft, only the one Vita, Peasants :D

• Advertisement

Sad news for videogame archivists. The best sight for 32-bit and PS2 era games has closed, Snesorama, (feel free to delete although I doubt it's not around anymore) since they lost most of the archive when megaupload went under. A real pity because there were hundreds of games on there that are impossible to find any where any more. There's talk that a similar service may start up again, fingers crossed.

Sad news for videogame archivists. The best sight for 32-bit and PS2 era games has closed, Snesorama, (feel free to delete although I doubt it's not around anymore) since they lost most of the archive when megaupload went under. A real pity because there were hundreds of games on there that are impossible to find any where any more. There's talk that a similar service may start up again, fingers crossed.

pirate.png

Seriously though that is bad. That was a great site for "archivists".

TBH they were trying to hunt down every game released for those systems and were very close to reaching a complete list. Many of the games they had up on the site were extremely rare or even thought not to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Doge

So THAT'S why I was forced to use Google's cache the last few weeks....

*cough*

I mean um....

a site with pirated games shut down?

Down with that sort of thing!

Surely the users have the games on their hardrives though?
    I doubt anything was "truly" lost for good?

Steve SI wrote: »
    pirate.png

Seriously though that is bad. That was a great site for "archivists".

Plenty more to archiving than piracy, theres plenty of valid reasons to have it. Fan translations, unreleased dumps, protos, fan mods etc.

There's two other good sites with huge content, which I shall not name, so all is not lost

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I haven't been over there since Megaupload went down for fear of reading what might have been lost.

That's a real loss for videogaming history. Hopefully people contribute stuff they have saved and get the archive back up. I remember downloading all their rare Net Yaroze stuff just in case something like this happened!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Plenty more to archiving than piracy, theres plenty of valid reasons to have it. Fan translations, unreleased dumps, protos, fan mods etc.

There's two other good sites with huge content, which I shall not name, so all is not lost

I know, twas a joke.
    Although I'd say most casual users of Snesorama were not there to archive.

But as you say nothing will really be lost as there are always other sources.

I can remember visiting Snesorama back in 97 or so...
    Good times, not knowing if the computer could handle the emu!
    Genecyst, Snes9X, good times...

But you're right as far as the "Archivist" handle is concerned.
    You'd have to wonder just how many carts are left of a lot of the games that were hosted there.
    I mean, easy to find a Ninty classic like SMW but imagine a world without... erm... Bubsy!

Given the defunct nature of most of the games for the 8bit and 16bit era, outside of the classics and cult favourites, the type of stuff that will never make a Virtual Console or other paid for emu on current hardware, you'd have to wonder how much damage to earnings making... erm.... Bubsy Public Domain?
    Ok, in that example the public would more than likely hand it back but for all those little games from little publishers or defunct ones, Acclaim and the like, it'd be nice to see them played, rather than traded for increasingly smaller sums as part of some stock issue...

waveform wrote: »

psp2-jack-tretton.jpg

DSC03044-620x.jpg

You lot have seen my gamesroom, right?

• Advertisement

You lot have seen my gamesroom, right?

I basked in its glory :cool: Hell, I bought a Vectrex from Holland soonafter in a crazed ebay blur

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement