Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Iran be allowed Nuclear Power?

Options
  • 18-02-2012 10:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I think this is the real poll. The other one is just scare mongering and war propaganda. The real issue is should Iran be allowed Nuclear Power? Do they, as an Independent state, have a right? Should the west have a right to tell countries they do not have the right to it?
    Personally I have no problem with Iran having Nuclear Power, why would I? Iran has never done anything to Ireland or Irish people.

Should Iran be ALLOWED nuclear power? 107 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    SeanehSpearBigConPete M.pclancydr strangelove[Deleted User]wesdlofnepR0otRichieCkirvinggoose2005JupiterKidgustafoSeanWskregsCorkfeenhatrickpatrickuncle_sam_ie 107 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Have you no concern for anybody outside of Ireland?
    Or do you really believe that as long as we stay 'friends' with Iran then we won't be affected by whatever they may choose to do with their nuclear power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I think every country should have at least one Nuclear Bomb..... you know, just in case. Begs I not keeping it at my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No
    Sauve wrote: »
    Have you no concern for anybody outaide of Ireland?
    Or do you really believe that as long as we stay 'friends' with Iran then we won't be affected by whatever they may choose to do with their nuclear power?

No, I am not concerned with whatever the may choose to do with their nuclear power. (Like powering their infrastructure). They have no intentions of attacking anyone, and have never done so in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

No
    Nu-clee-ar. It's pronounced nu-clee-ar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

No
    Have you no concern for anybody outside of Ireland?

When was the last time Iran invaded or bombed a country? Dont mention Iran Iraq war because Iran was invaded. They are a peaceful country. The idea they will drop a nuclear bomb is fairy land.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, I am not concerned with whatever the may choose to do with their nuclear power. (Like powering their infrastructure). They have no intentions of attacking anyone, and have never done so in the past.

How can you say that they won't change their minds once they're handed the power to do so?

NinjaK wrote: »

When was the last time Iran invaded or bombed a country? Dont mention Iran Iraq war because Iran was invaded. They are a peaceful country. The idea they will drop a nuclear bomb is fairy land.

No I know that they're peaceful, I suppose my argument may be a little off topic.
    What I'm getting at is once you give a country the power to do these things, who's to say they won't change their tactics. This applies the world over though, not just Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Nu-clee-ar. It's pronounced nu-clee-ar.

Wessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Hmmm hundreds of dead US and British soldiers in Iraq may disagree. Hear any news from Thailand or India recently? Ever hear of the Northern Alliance? They do not have the power to have a direct war with most countries so that isn't their threat. Covert wars they have been doing for years. I think the chances of them ever using a nuke are almost nil. The whole reason the current situation has arrived is because of US foreign policy in the recent past. By the way the Iran president has less power than ours, so stuff he says and does mean feck all.

No
    How can you say that they won't change their minds once they're handed the power to do so?

They could potentially put a man on the moon, but I deal with reality.. and in reality, they are not going to give the likes of the US and Israel an excuse to attack them, by launching a pre-meditated attack.

Iran has a long history of not attacking other nations. Which is not a record the rest of the countries in that region can say they have.

• Advertisement

No
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    Hmmm hundreds of dead US and British soldiers in Iraq may disagree.

Perhaps you'd care to cite evidence that Iran is responsible for 'hundreds of dead US and British soldiers in Iraq'. And not random commentary.
    Hear any news from Thailand or India recently?

Sure did - Heard any evidence that it was sanctioned by Iranian authorities?

They could potentially put a man on the moon, but I deal with reality.. and in reality, they are not going to give the likes of the US and Israel an excuse to attack them, by launching a pre-meditated attack.

Iran has a long history of not attacking other nations. Which is not a record the rest of the countries in that region can say they have.

Yeah I can see your point....I would just be nervous of giving a country that has been attacked the means to retaliate. Whether they ever intend to use them or not, it just doesnt sit well with me.
    I'll agree it's an extremely minimal risk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Havent voted in the poll yet as I am still undecided,For me its a very complicated situation and at this moment I would not trust Iran, I be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Hmmm hundreds of dead US and British soldiers in Iraq may disagree.

How can dead people agree or disagree with anything?

Kepti wrote: »
    How can dead people agree or disagree with anything?

Don't be so disrespectful.

No
    Yeah I can see your point....I would just be nervous of giving a country that has been attacked the means to retaliate. Whether they ever intend to use them or not, it just doesnt sit well with me.
    I'll agree it's an extremely minimal risk though.

The question is in relation to nuclear power - not nuclear weapons. As it stands, I don't believe it would be in the interests of anyone for another state to obtain nuclear weapons, Iran included. But that doesn't mean that I believe Iran has nuclear weapons, nor does it mean that I believe they would use them if they had them. Most states have nuclear weapons as a deterrent more than anything.

The question is in relation to nuclear power - not nuclear weapons. As it stands, I don't believe it would be in the interests of anyone for another state to obtain nuclear weapons, Iran included. But that doesn't mean that I believe Iran has nuclear weapons, nor does it mean that I believe they would use them if they had them. Most states have nuclear weapons as a deterrent more than anything.

I agree with this but can we trust Iran ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

NinjaK wrote: »
    I think this is the real poll. The other one is just scare mongering and war propaganda. The real issue is should Iran be allowed Nuclear Power? Do they, as an Independent state, have a right? Should the west have a right to tell countries they do not have the right to it?
    Personally I have no problem with Iran having Nuclear Power, why would I? Iran has never done anything to Ireland or Irish people.

Should Britain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Poland, Slovenia, the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, China, Japan, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Lithuania, Croatia and a good few others have nuclear power? Answers on a postcard please.:rolleyes:

Clue: they all have nuclear power stations already. Iran has one as well. :)

No
    realies wrote: »
    I agree with this but can we trust Iran ?

Who is we, and trust them to do what? You're going to have to be a bit more specific. Can Ireland trust Iran not to use nuclear weapons on Ireland? Absolutely. Can 'we' as an international community trust that Iran's nuclear ambitions do not include weapons? Probably not. Can 'we' expect that Iran would ever use nuclear weapons? Very doubtful.

I prefer to deal in specifics. That way, we can have a meaningful conversation.

No
    To put it simpler - I don't see any evidence that Iran is seeking nuclear weapons, and if they were I don't believe that they would aspire to use them - but would rather see them as a symbol in the form of a detterent from an attack by Israel and the US. I don't see Iran as some moral, ethical force in the world. But I trust in their own self-interests to not cause a dilemma in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I dont think ANY country should have Nuclear power.

Besides when they have that oil why do they even want it :confused:

No
    Mike 1972 wrote: »

Oil is a finite resource, and they make money selling it :)

But I'm not in favour of nuclear power either. But there is a certain hypocrisy in one state with nuclear power dictating to another on whether it can have it or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

No
    Mike 1972 wrote: »

Thats not the question, do they have the RIGHT to have Nuclear power..

Seriously, can you not think of a reason for having Nuclear Power over oil? They export their oil, oil is a limited resource etc..

Who is we, and trust them to do what? You're going to have to be a bit more specific. Can Ireland trust Iran not to use nuclear weapons on Ireland? Absolutely. Can 'we' as an international community trust that Iran's nuclear ambitions do not include weapons? Probably not. Can 'we' expect that Iran would ever use nuclear weapons? Very doubtful.

I prefer to deal in specifics. That way, we can have a meaningful conversation.

The we is as us in the west, where we have the freedom do more or less what we will and say what we will unlike the Iranian people.If the Iranian rulers does not trust its own people in that they crush opposition,control media and Internet etc How can the west trust the Iranian goverment ?

To put it simpler - I don't see any evidence that Iran is seeking nuclear weapons, and if they were I don't believe that they would aspire to use them - but would rather see them as a symbol in the form of a detterent from an attack by Israel and the US. I don't see Iran as some moral, ethical force in the world. But I trust in their own self-interests to not cause a dilemma in the area.

The UN disagrees

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=un%20says%20iran&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDAQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2F2012-02-17%2Fun-s-ban-says-onus-on-iran-to-show-peaceful-atomic-intent-1-.html&ei=u3U_T-vdGZC1hAeUy_C_BQ&usg=AFQjCNGw9OplOEcpb4zNMxDwkLWhqvSV1A

Have to go out now, laters.

No
    The we is as us in the west, where we have the freedom do more or less what we will and say what we will unlike the Iranian people.If the Iranian rulers does not trust its own people in that they crush opposition,control media and Internet etc How can the west trust the Iranian goverment ?

That's an argument for why the Iranian people themselves should not. It is not an argument for why the 'West' should not.

No

Actually, it doesn't disagree. It has asked Iran to demonstrate that it's nuclear program is peaceful, but that in itself is not evidence that Iran is building nuclear weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Who gave us the right to decide what another sovereign nation can or can't do ? Or are we just falling in behind the most powerful terrorist nation on earth and the only ones who have ever actually used atomic weapons on mass centres of
    Innocent populations and continue to deny civili liberties and kill and maim all in the name of peace ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Perhaps you'd care to cite evidence that Iran is responsible for 'hundreds of dead US and British soldiers in Iraq'. And not random commentary.

What evidence would you like? I'm sure you know I don't have access to exploded/recovered IED's nor do I have access to interogation data or detainees. What have is multi source info from respected journalists and from people on the ground. Iran have all but said they would do it, I am looking for the statement they issued. By the way I take nothing from Fox news or the likes, most things they say the opposite is probably the truth.

I think the quote is featured in this series (very balanced documentary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iar_1OKOmc
    Sure did - Heard any evidence that it was sanctioned by Iranian authorities?

Well unless the Mossad has the ones captured attackers families tied up or they are some fringe group using Iran as justification for the attacks, it seems it was them. Didn't one escape to Tehran? I am sure the Iranian authorities will hand her over since they had nothing to do with it.

Advertisement