Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Read The Woman in Black last week. Meh...really don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess if you're a fan of ghost stories you might like it, but I didn't find it at all scary.

Just started Dracula this morning...hope that's scarier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Have two on the go at the moment:

The Kiterunner by Khaled Hosseini - I'd say it'll get good, just haven't really gotten into it yet, the Internet and my iPhone have ruined by attention span.

Social Psychology by David Myers, Jackie Abell, Arnulf Kolstad and Fabio Sani - a college book. My sister was using this book for her course last year, I was in her house a few weeks ago, started thumbing through it and it seemed fascinating so I have that on the go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

gaf1983 wrote: »

The Kiterunner by Khaled Hosseini - I'd say it'll get good, just haven't really gotten into it yet, the Internet and my iPhone have ruined by attention span.

Keep going, it's excellent! And when you've finished, try his other one, A Thousand Splendid Suns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

'It's Fine By Me' - Per Petterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

'Inferno' by Max Hastings - all you ever wanted to know about WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Reading sex.com and Child 44 at the moment. Child 44 almost finished, good read. Shantaram is next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Make Money Online for Free & Quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Just finished 'Fly away Peter' by David Malouf. A beautiful story about a young man and nature lover from Queensland and his brutal trench experiences during WW 1. Memorable.

Now reading Jon McGregor's 'if nobody speaks of remarkable things'. Beautifully written story about ordinary city people living ordinary lives in England. So far an absolute joy to read.

I second that, the book has a lingering effect found myself thinking about it now and then even a couple of weeks after I'd finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Madeline, Kate McCann

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Enjoying it and looking forward to seeing the movie when I'm finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Some of Lyle McDonald's books on nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

gaf1983 wrote: »

Social Psychology by David Myers, Jackie Abell, Arnulf Kolstad and Fabio Sani - a college book. My sister was using this book for her course last year, I was in her house a few weeks ago, started thumbing through it and it seemed fascinating so I have that on the go too.

Studied this book as part of my degree also. I must pull it out of the attic and re-read it as it definetley makes you look at social situations very differently!

(Dont slaughter me) Time of my Life by Cecilia Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

In reply to others I reckon it took me about 4 months to read The Stand good book as is Shantaram the description of Indian slums is an eyeopener.

Currently reading The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne, free on kindle quite good so far but no idea how many pages it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tebowfan

cujo by Stephen King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just started reading Stieg Larson's "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". Not really enjoying the first chapter but hopefully, it should pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

McChubbin wrote: »
    Just started reading Stieg Larson's "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". Not really enjoying the first chapter but hopefully, it should pick up.

It will! Brilliant series!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Heart Shaped Box- Joe Hill

McChubbin wrote: »

First book took me a good while to get into. Found all the names and place-names hard to follow. Worth sticking with though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Perfume.

'Tis a good 'un.

• Advertisement

Perfume.

'Tis a good 'un.

Strange book but I liked it. I've never seen the movie though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Strange book but I liked it. I've never seen the movie though.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm not too far in yet.

I'll probably watch the film when I'm done though....reviews were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Strange book but I liked it.
    I liked the first half, then found it got rather tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

"Middlesex" by Jeffery Eugenides. Just finished "We Need to Talk About Kevin" lately too. Anyone read either of them? Dying to discuss them.

Millicent wrote: »
    "Middlesex" by Jeffery Eugenides. Just finished "We Need to Talk About Kevin" lately too. Anyone read either of them? Dying to discuss them.

Is We Need To Talk About Kevin good? I have that earmarked to download next, along with American Psycho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

American Psycho!

American Psycho is a fantastic read. I really love Louis Theroux documentaries so I'm reading his book, The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures. He catches up with some of the more unusual people that featured in his documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Quantum by Manjit Kumar

I'm almost finished and it's been an interesting insight into the interaction between the geniuses of the golden age of physics, Neils Bohr and Albert Einstein primarily :)

And yes, I know I'm a nerd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Is We Need To Talk About Kevin good? I have that earmarked to download next, along with American Psycho!

Stayed with me for weeks. The sort of book that will kick the crap out of you and leave you bruised. The voice might take a little while to get into -- it's unusual in its articulacy -- but I was gripped till the end. Some hard questions and interpretations thrown up by it too.

Let me know how you get on with American Psycho. It's on my list too. Just as a suggestion, maybe read something funny in between or you might be traumatising yourself!

Millicent wrote: »
    Stayed with me for weeks. The sort of book that will kick the crap out of you and leave you bruised. The voice might take a little while to get into -- it's unusual in its articulacy -- but I was gripped till the end. Some hard questions and interpretations thrown up by it too.

Let me know how you get on with American Psycho. It's on my list too. Just as a suggestion, maybe read something funny in between or you might be traumatising yourself!

I've just started Dracula so that will probably take me a good 3 weeks! I'm going to read We Need To Talk About Kevin after it...I'll take your advice and read something lighthearted in between :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Chipperf

Read American Psycho a couple of years ago....really found it quite disturbing, not even sure what kind of mind could dream up the stuff the main character got up to. I many ways still a good book though.

Currently reading Grapes of Wrath, really enjoying it, having read many of Stienbecks more accessable books, and on each occasion, really liked his style of writing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement