Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Martha Marcy May Marlene:

Really enjoyed this film. Had absolutely no idea what it was about before going in. Listened to Kermode and Mayo's podcast last Friday evening and Kermode loved it as did a few of my friends who went to see it over the weekend.

I wasn't disappointed whatsoever.

Elizabeth Olsen's ability to say everything without saying nothing is remarkable. An all round excellent performance from her.
    The bit at the party when she goes into a sudden panic at the drinks table is genuinely worrying and very real.

I wouldn't class this film as a horror film but there were certain moments that chilled me to the core.

It's an exceptional piece of film making and one that still has me reflecting on it.

Regarding the ending:
    It is rather abrupt and it left a few patrons murmuring their disapprovement of such a sudden end.

The ending didn't bother me as I believe it's an ending that can have a multitude of meanings.

My thoughts on it:

Despite leaving to get help, the car behind them at the end might have been a signal that regardless of how far she gets away, there'll always be that reminder of what has gone on before and that that she may not be able to ever escape the mental anguish she suffered whilst being part of the cult.

EDIT: It's rated as 16 though to be honest, I'd have given it an 18 certificate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Sttation Agent is a personal favourite of mine, have watched it countless times. Was lucky enough to catch it in the cinema when it first came out. I'm always trying to get people to watch it.

Watched Win Win last night and thought it was Brilliant. Must check out The Station Agent this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched these on Netflix over the weekend:

God Went Surfing With The Devil: Documentary about the charity Surf 4 Peace's attempts to get 23 surfboards into Gaza. It focuses on the surf communities in Tel Aviv and Gaza. It was ok but nowhere near as good as I was hoping. Could have been an opportunity for a great documentary, and the parts in Gaza are ok but they focus on Tel aviv way more than was necessary.

Diggers: Comedy drama centred around a group of clam fishermen on long Island in the 70's. Stars Paul Rudd and Ken Marino(who also wrote it). I enjoyed it quite a bit, it moves along at a pretty leisurely pace, its typical small town drama kind of stuff but the characters are all very likeable with some good performances particularly from Rudd and Marino. Worth a watch if you're looking for something relatively light.

Lonesome Jim: This stars Casey Affleck and Liv Tyler, its also directed by Steve Buscemi. I liked the other movie Buscemi directed, Tree's Lounge so I thought I'd give this a shot. Affleck plays Jim who returns home from Manhatten to his parents house because he's suffering from "chronic despair". He meets Tylers single mother and learns a few things etc. Its a good film, pretty funny in places although Affleck's character is pretty miserable but you still end up rooting for him.

2 Days in Paris: Written by, directed by, scored by and starring Julie Delpy. This comedy is about a couple who spend 2 days in paris on their way back to New York. Thought it was brilliant. Funny, quirky and believable, not a run of the mill romcom at all. Its got shades of Woody Allen to it but in a very good way. Snappy dialogue and some laugh out loud moments. highly recommended.

THink i'll be giving Dear Zachary a look next, a lot of people have been mentioning it.

How did you find 2 Days in Paris on Netflix?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Stompbox wrote: »
    How did you find 2 Days in Paris on Netflix?

Its in the US content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sound and Fury
    Stirring documentary that genuinely made me mad. Wont say more lest I ruin it, save for the synopsis which is two sets of parents one hearing, one deaf each have a deaf child and debate on whether to get cochlear implants for their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Werewolf of London - impressive and classic movie about a scientist who terrorises wealthy people when he turns into a lycanthrope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Real Steel. A mixture between Rocky 4 and over the top. And that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Inside I'm dancing Enjoyable story about 2 guys in a home for the disabled who decide to escape the confines of the institution they live in. A good few laugh out loud moments along the way, but yet found a few parts of the story heart wrenching. 7.5/10.

Law abiding Citizen was on RTE a few moments ago. This started off well for me but kind of dragged out towards the end. Jamie Foxx Is well below par for me in this one. 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Warrior - watched it on a flight to NY. Schmaltzy / overly sweet at times but damn great performances. Really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Good movie but I have to say I'm still surprised at the amount of killer spider & snake action in a kids movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

JohnK wrote: »
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Good movie but I have to say I'm still surprised at the amount of killer spider & snake action in a kids movie.

wait til you see the rest of them so. I dont know if I would Harry Potter a kids movie. is a series of films based on books aimed at teenagers, not 5 and 6 year olds.

I think Im using Netflix all wrong. how do you get into the "store" that everyone keeps talking about. I cant find any of the films I want on it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Basq wrote: »
    Warrior - watched it on a flight to NY. Schmaltzy / overly sweet at times but damn great performances. Really enjoyed it!

Is it me or do in-flight movies end up feeling like fever dreams on transatlantic flights? I'll doze off after about an hour and then resume the movie in a sort of mile-high haze.

It doesn't help that I tend to chose films I'd probably not watch were they not available on the flight - the PVR is an awesome addition but the resolution, low-powered screen and tinny audio doesn't make it a preferable way to see films you're dying to see.

Oh Limitless, how I detest thee.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Syferus wrote: »
    Is it me or do in-flight movies end up feeling like fever dreams on transatlantic flights? I'll doze off after about an hour and then resume the movie in a sort of mile-high haze.

It doesn't help that I tend to chose films I'd probably not watch were they not available on the flight - the PVR is an awesome addition but the resolution, low-powered screen and tinny audio doesn't make it a preferable way to see films you're dying to see.

Oh Limitless, how I detest thee.

know what you mean, in terms of picture and sound they're like a cam rip off the torrents, I tend to try and only watch films I wouldn't go out of my way to otherwise but kind of want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

just watched 'Let The Right One In', thought it was very good.

War Horse:

I went into this film with seriously low expectations because all I had been hearing were negative reviews from friends and family.

I don't really get the hate directed at it all. I rather enjoyed it. It's far from Spielberg's best work but it's a rather decent film.

My main gripe is that not once did I feel anything for any character that crossed paths with the horse whatsoever as it changed hands well to often to gain any sort of bond with the on screen character.
    The windmill scene where the two brothers who are caught retreating from the war and are subsequently shot didn't irk any sort of emotional response with me whatsoever because they weren't on screen long enough.

That was my only negative thing to really say about it in what was an enjoyable film overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ended up watching "law abiding citizen" last night on rte.

jaysus it was alot better than i thought it would be.
    i was actually kinda rooting for the " bad guy" to win by the end, though i knew that couldnt be allowed happen.

great preformance by yer man from 300 and some of the stuff was really quite innovative.

least gerard butler can point to stuff like this when gamer gets thrown in his face

:)

i was actually kinda rooting for the " bad guy" to win by the end, though i knew that couldnt be allowed happen.

great preformance by yer man from 300 and some of the stuff was really quite innovative.

least gerard butler can point to stuff like this when gamer gets thrown in his face

I quite enjoyed it actually.
    I got the fright of my life when the judge answers the phone and dies. Wasn't expecting it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Fantastic movie . I can't understand why the IMDB site only gave it a 7.2

I would never have guessed that Gerard Butler was born and raised in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

second time round for me seeing it , i thought it was far fetched watchable nonsense the first time , it really suffers on second viewing , appaling crap , gerad butler might just be my worst actor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

psychward wrote: »

IMDB dont rate movies, thats the average user rating. in this case its: Ratings: 7.2/10 from 84,592 users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

THE SILENT PARTNER

A crackling thriller from the late '70s
    featuring the wonderful Christopher Plummer
    and the lesser so Elliot Gould.

A bank robbery goes wrong, The Plummer
    is extremely vicious towards a hardbody,
    The Gould plays him up and somebody gets
    their head cut off with a fishtank...

:D

No, really! Brill. A really great Canadian thriller.

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

tunguska wrote: »
    I cant remember there being any fuss about Lars and the real girl. It got solid reviews but nothing OTT. I thought it was great. Lovely slow burner with a big heart.

It has 7.5/10 on imdb and 81% on rotten tomatoes!! Plus everyone on here speaks highly of it for a very uninspired film.

I watched The Man From Earth the other day

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

It's about a man who has been alive for 14,000 years and hasn't aged. Ok so it is very dated looking and the whole film is basically a conversation that takes place in someone's living room but it is something different and somehow still manages to really hold your attention, I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

--LOS-- wrote: »
    It has 7.5/10 on imdb and 81% on rotten tomatoes!! Plus everyone on here speaks highly of it for a very uninspired film.

I watched The Man From Earth the other day

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

It's about a man who has been alive for 14,000 years and hasn't aged. Ok so it is very dated looking and the whole film is basically a conversation that takes place in someone's living room but it is something different and somehow still manages to really hold your attention, I really liked it.

I just loved THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

It's a pity The Bowie didn't get a lorra lorra
    acting parts...

MR CHRISTMAS MR.... excluded... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I watched Another Earth a couple of months ago.

I had a couple of hours to kill before work, went into Parnell St cinema and the girl behind the counter recommended it. Very good movie.

Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hEwMMDtFY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just re watched Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith

You know what, its pretty ****in good actually! As long as you have forgotten the horrendous Episode 1!!

The end is brilliant! final few scenes with Christiansen and McGregor, and the final scene itself of course

Great end to Anakins character arc and real beginning of Vader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

kryogen wrote: »
    Just re watched Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith

You know what, its pretty ****in good actually! As long as you have forgotten the horrendous Episode 1!!

The end is brilliant! final few scenes with Christiansen and McGregor, and the final scene itself of course

Great end to Anakins character arc and real beginning of Vader

Yeah I agree, I've liked this one since I saw it in the cinema the first time. It was such a relief to finally see a good star wars from the prequels.

Phantom Menace - Pod racing and final fight scene aside - Poor.
    Attack of the Clones - Absolute muck muck muck.
    Revenge of the Sith - Decent.

Actually still considering watching the 3D Phantom Menace though... Is that really bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

psychward wrote: »

I know. 2.7 would be far more appropriate ;)

Tripe of the lowest order. Worthless stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Silent movie - in colour with Burt Reynolds, Paul Newman, James Caan, and Liza Minnelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

budgemook wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, I've liked this one since I saw it in the cinema the first time. It was such a relief to finally see a good star wars from the prequels.

Phantom Menace - Pod racing and final fight scene aside - Poor.
    Attack of the Clones - Absolute muck muck muck.
    Revenge of the Sith - Decent.

Actually still considering watching the 3D Phantom Menace though... Is that really bad?

:( I really liked the Phantom Menace.
    I want to go see it, maybe on sunday.

I hated the Attack of the Clones

But Revenge of the Sith is great.

and I have episodes 4-6 on DVD :) thats my friday night sorted. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

budgemook wrote: »

Haha I have actually be thinking the same myself! Cant believe Im considering it but I am more then likely gonna end up seeing it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement