Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Some farmer owns the fields around it. You sometimes see him going up and down the little bog road parallel to the DC

Bit of a joke but Im too tired to moan about the so and so's today...

I could dig up a quote from the Matrix Reloaded movie and twist it around -

"There are some things in this world that do change, but some things don't!"

Most British landlords are gone, but are 'Irish landlords' any better - is there really any difference between the nonsense of unco-operative (without considerable appeasement) landlords thwarting the building of railways during the 1800's and that of farmers demanding huge compensation when motorways are being built/upgraded these days. The public interest should take priority!

Someone had better tell the lads who just turned it into a concrete footpath!

I think the plan (according to the Part 8 drawings) is to construct a buildout on the site of the left-slip and reconfigure the main off-ramp to have 2 tigher queuing lanes with effectively a hard shoulder terminating at the buildout. Around the corner will be an ordinary (tapered) filter left lane for B&Q.

I'll try and dig up that plan for you...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

billbond4 wrote: »
    No forward planning in this country, other roads/services in Westmeath could better do with the money that is being wasted on the bypass. :mad:

Heck, that's the only road in Westmeath I use :D (apart from the N4)

Money is never wasted on roads.

Yesterday they wasted €1.5 billion on a dead bank. I find it hard to get excited about a few extra signs in this context. :mad:

I mean - there is hardly any infrastructure investment going on and the badly-needed upgrade of the Athlone BP is being done and all I read here is whine, moan, complain and begrudge.

You folk are un-be-*******- leavable! :eek:

(Sorry Mod - sometimes somethings just gotta be said)

I think the plan (according to the Part 8 drawings) is to construct a buildout on the site of the left-slip and reconfigure the main off-ramp to have 2 tigher queuing lanes with effectively a hard shoulder terminating at the buildout. Around the corner will be an ordinary (tapered) filter left lane for B&Q.

I'll try and dig up that plan for you...

Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on the drawings - they were online as Part 8 consultation downloads a while back (either on the main council website or road project office website). If anyone can find the plans online, it'd be great.

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

N6 Athlone Relief Road Phase 2 Update

Due to Junction Upgrade Works on the N6 Athlone Relief Road the following road closures will be in place at Junctions 11 Coosan and Junction 9 Garrycastle over the coming months.

Junction 11 Coosan On and Off ramps will be closed for a 5 day period between the 13th February and the 26th February 2012.

Junction 9 Garrycastle On and Off ramps will be closed for a 5 week period between the 27th February and the 22nd April 2012.

Diversions will be in place and these diversions will be signposted and shown on the Council website.

Westmeath County Council wishes to thank you for your co-operation and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Maps here - http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,11118,en.html

Five weeks!! Is this for the bridge rebuild?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

They are putting a footbridge at the side of the flyover, thats why its going to take so long

Both directions down to single lane around J9 Garrycastle.

• Advertisement

Gantry being installed at J12 eastbound. Down to a single lane all the way to Coosan. All on/off ramps at Coosan are closed. Looks like a little island is being put in between the on/off ramps on the B&Q side of the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I know i sound like im repeating myself but for frigs sake leave the bypass alone. Its worse that theyre making it. Sort out Garycastle bridge and ill be more than happy.

All this crap for pedestrians. Last i checked i was well able to cross the road around these areas...

I know i sound like im repeating myself but for frigs sake leave the bypass alone. Its worse that theyre making it. Sort out Garycastle bridge and ill be more than happy.

All this crap for pedestrians. Last i checked i was well able to cross the road around these areas...

Hey! Don't be so angry man. Chill - they doing a fine job :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just when I thought it was done, the feckers started lane closures again. :(

I meant to post here but it slipped my mind.

I understand the level of frustration road closures can have (believe me I know, I work in Galway City). I drove this a few weeks ago and I have to say they have done a bang up job on this. Really impressed with the changes to exits / entrances and the road surface quality.

It was always very noticeble when going from galway - Dublin, not so much anymore

Btw, if you want to see slow road works, come to SQR in Galway

I hear a fella was taken away by ambulance at the Roscommon Road gantry this morning - apparently with a height-for-hire on its side.

whyulittle wrote: »
    I hear a fella was taken away by ambulance at the Roscommon Road gantry this morning - apparently with a height-for-hire on its side.

Spotted that driving home at lunchtime. The crane-like vehicle was on its side on the westbound section near Ros exit. Had to look a second time to check if eyes were playing tricks. Hope he ok - its a long drive to an A&E these days thanks very much Enda...

OT
    Was there ever an A&E in Athlone?

/OT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

OT
    Was there ever an A&E in Athlone?

/OT

There hasn't been in a while but it's now 45 minutes to the outskirts of Galway city (and then hope you'll get through the traffic) vs 30 odd minutes to Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

antoobrien wrote: »
    There hasn't been in a while but it's now 45 minutes to the outskirts of Galway city (and then hope you'll get through the traffic) vs 30 odd minutes to Roscommon

Or 10/15 minutes to Ballinasloe with the boot down?

• Advertisement

If your lucky enough to have an Ambulance available from either place of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Or 10/15 minutes to Ballinasloe with the boot down?

Is portiuncula a 24h a&e (don't know, assuming not with the furore over roscommon)?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

antoobrien wrote: »
    Is portiuncula a 24h a&e (don't know, assuming not with the furore over roscommon)?

Its currently 24h. Hence why quite a lot of the Roscommon stuff was very, very overblown.

Had a customer (GP) in Roscommon - nowhere near Ballinasloe - mention that something wasn't happening due to "our dispute with the HSE", asked him was it about the hospital and he burst out laughing. Was something completely separate and longer-running, didn't think the A&E change was going to have any negative impact.

Expect to see similar screams if Mallow does despite it being on the road between two others...

Country of this size could never support the number of full-service A&Es we had although the ideal situation would involve *moving* some of the ones we're keeping open.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How far away is portiuncula to Roscommon?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends where in the county, the county starts two km away. Its about 45-50mins hospital to hospital. Other end of the county is much closer to Sligo General

Don't think there's anywhere in the county that's more than 60 mins from *a* 24hr A&E be it Sligo, Portiuncula, Mayo General (think this is the closest for Ballaghadereen area) or UCHG.

60mins is seen as a tolerable time, large parts of the country have never had this.

Nice to see the whole westbound carraigeway down to one lane to put up those poxy gantry signs today :mad:

Nice to see the whole westbound carraigeway down to one lane to put up those poxy gantry signs today :mad:

The gantry signs are not "poxy".

Has the "whole westbound carraigeway down to one lane" caused some major inconvenience? :D

Now that we have (some of) the new gantries completed, I wonder if they'll sort out the anomaly at J13 which has full motorway style signs rather than the partial ones like J8 at Kinmartins.???

Wild Bill wrote: »

The gantry signs are not "poxy".

Has the "whole westbound carraigeway down to one lane" caused some major inconvenience? :D
    They are poxy if you ask yourself the question what happened to all the signs that were erected last year before the new gantry signs were erected ? wcc seem quiet happen to piss away money that was spent on exit signs last year on new road signs. No wonder this country is shagged if wcc think it's fine up put up signs around athlone when roads etc are in ****e
    Its great to have no one to answer to, Wasters =wcc

• Advertisement

Signs up that the J9 GarryCastle,Moydrum,Blyry slip roads will be closed from Thursday 1st March for FIVE weeks :mad:

Advertisement