Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KevR wrote: »
    Apologies for going a bit off-topic but a VMS was installed on the M4 Westbound near Kinnegead quite some time ago but I have never seen it turned on. Anyone know if it is used at all?

the new ones generally have a red light in the top corner to indicate they're alive. If its not there, its not wired up.

However, it is on the NRA system:
    http://www.nratraffic.ie/vms/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The idea that we can't invent anything is equally ludicrous. That was the point I was trying to make.

:)
    Apologies for the late thread bump but I haven't been online in a couple of days. Apologies also if this seems petty, but really, I don't think that was the point you were trying to make. You were just having a go at me for having the tenacity to compare any kind of practice in Ireland with that in another country.

You've still failed to acknowledge that it's a completely valid thing to do and failed to apologise for painting me (and anyone else who makes valid comparisons) as ignorant, unambitious Paddies who can't see beyond what our neighbours do. Making insinuations about the mindset of another poster because you can't (or can't be arsed to) make a valid argument against the point that they make is just a waste of time. It shines no light on any debate and just serves to satisfy your own sense of indignation about the attitudes (or what you perceive are the attitudes) of certain people.

(I'm making this point generally, not just about the feckin gantries, which I don't even feel that strongly about. I just think there are one or two too many.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Back on topic: looks like they've started work on J11, removing the mad B&Q/skip the queue lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

etchyed wrote: »
    Apologies also if this seems petty, but really, I don't think that was the point you were trying to make. You were just having a go at me for having the tenacity to compare any kind of practice in Ireland with that in another country.

I've actually told you the point I was making. It was a legitimate comment in the context of the type of remarks/assumptions that are widespread on these threads.

Why not follow your own advice and don't make "insinuations about the mindset of another poster"

OK - end of - from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

looks like another gantry site been built near the roscommon exit going eastbound :-(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

billbond4 wrote: »
    looks like another gantry site been built near the roscommon exit going eastbound :-(

Excellent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Junction upgrades to begin in mid-February.

€2 million contract has been awarded to Willis Brothers.

Work is scheduled for J11 from Feb 13th - March 9th, Feb 13th - March 16th for J9 and March 15th - May 11th for J10.

NRA are currently installing gantries, and this work is to be completed before the junction work begins.

****e not willis bros again.
    Does any other company put in for contracts in midlands roads

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Not a fan I take it ? Must be doing something right if they can secure these contracts

Not a fan, they are probably winning contracts as they the cheapest.
    Seems like a long time to do junction works, bet times will slip.
    Doesn't make sense to be doing two junctions together as it would effect detoured traffic ?

• Advertisement

They're doing 9 and 11 together, so 10 will be open in the middle.

So traffic for j11 will be diverted onto j10 and traffic for j9 will be diverted onto j8?
    I see j10 being very bad for the month as people for j11 and j9 will probably use j10.

Great ! another unnecessary two months of traffic queues on the bypass and they still have to close the westbound motorway at j13 :-(

• Who says anything about closing junctions?
    The work can be done "live".

February my hole, they have ripped up J11 already!

Who says anything about closing junctions?
    The work can be done "live".
    No need to close the motorway from J13 to J14, but they still want to do that.

Suppose we will have to wait and see about how they handle the upgrade works, but id assume they will have to close the junctions for parts of the works, so they might close the junctions for the whole period of the works.

http://www.athlone.ie/council-notices/athlone-town-council-notice-of-temporary-closure-of-roads

Notice of Temporary Closure of Roads in Athlone

WESTMEATH COUNTY COUNCIL / ATHLONE TOWN COUNCIL

TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF ROADS

ROADS ACT 1993 and ROADS REGULATIONS 1994

Notice is hereby given that Westmeath County Council/Athlone Town Council intends to close to public traffic the roads described for periods as outlined hereunder to facilitate Junction Upgrade Works on the Athlone Relief Road (N6). These closures will be kept to an absolute minimum.

Roads to be closed:

Road No.

Dates

Times

N6 Athlone Relief Road
    Junction 11 (Coosan) On and Off ramps Intermittent dates between 13th February & 9th March 2012

N6 Athlone Relief Road
    Junction 10
    (Ballymahon Road) On and Off ramps Intermittent dates between 15th March & 11th May 2012

N6 Athlone Relief Road
    Junction 9 (Garrycastle) On and Off ramps Intermittent dates between 13th February & 16th March 2012

N6 Athlone Relief Road
    Mainline at Junction 9 (Garrycastle)
    10th and 11th March 2012
    Or
    24th and 25th March 2012 One period of 27 hours between 11:00 hrs Saturday and 14:00 hrs Sunday
    Alternative Routes Available:

The surrounding urban road network on diversions as signposted. These diversions will be similar to those carried out during the works in 2011 and they will be advertised on the Councils’ websites www.athlone.ie and www.westmeathcoco.ie in advance.

Any person who wishes to object to the closing of this road should lodge such objection, in writing, with Ms. Edel Martin, a/Town Clerk, Athlone Town Council and Area Office, Civic Offices, Church Street, Athlone on or before 4.00pm on Wednesday 25th January 2012.

just thinking as they are now putting a gantry up at J9, MAYBE it will be electronic and will help with displaying messages about the roadworks at the junctions starting in February.
    Could councils have that much foresight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

just thinking as they are now putting a gantry up at J9, MAYBE it will be electronic and will help with displaying messages about the roadworks at the junctions starting in February.
    Could councils have that much foresight?

VMS signs (a la last year) will likely be the solution.

Me i dont really care - either way gives drivers plenty of notice

Another gantry being constructed at J10 (towncenter exit) this morning

Handy way to get info about council services disruptions and other useful info in Roscommon County
    http://www.mapalerter.com/roscommon

• Advertisement

Small bit in the Westmeath today saying the B&Q lane isn't being removed, but changed.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Small bit in the Westmeath today saying the B&Q lane isn't being removed, but changed.

Someone had better tell the lads who just turned it into a concrete footpath!

Someone had better tell the lads who just turned it into a concrete footpath!

Am i the only one who thinks "screw the pedestrians".

For gods sake, the bypass (and slip roads) are fine in their current state. Leave well alone you dopes (the government).

In fairness, they are pissing away money on the bypass this year, the extra gantrys and the traffic lights at slip roads.

BTW the gantrys are a good idea, but they should have been installed during the bypass works instead of the normal exit signs.

No forward planning in this country, other roads/services in Westmeath could better do with the money that is being wasted on the bypass. :mad:

For gods sake, the bypass (and slip roads) are fine in their current state.

If they do want to spend some cash, straightening out the exit lane onto the Roscommon road heading East would be a good idea.

No they were told to waste money and do all unnecessary work on the bypass this year!!

If they do want to spend some cash, straightening out the exit lane onto the Roscommon road heading East would be a good idea.

Some farmer owns the fields around it. You sometimes see him going up and down the little bog road parallel to the DC

Bit of a joke but Im too tired to moan about the so and so's today...

ah come on, nothing like a good moan !

ah come on, nothing like a good moan !

Roosterman71 will eat me if i knock the farmers again. :(

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

• billbond4 wrote: »
    In fairness, they are pissing away money on the bypass this year, the extra gantrys and the traffic lights at slip roads.

BTW the gantrys are a good idea, but they should have been installed during the bypass works instead of the normal exit signs.

No forward planning in this country, other roads/services in Westmeath could better do with the money that is being wasted on the bypass. :mad:
    And still they haven't installed lighting, something that would be more beneficial than extra gantries.

Advertisement