Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Yet another reason to get it on steam!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    €20 says this will join the ever increasing stack of MMO's gathering dust on your shelf within a month.

I know mine is :(

Indeed the stack is getting bigger and bigger but atleast this has a demo to try.
    I dont hold much hope but out of curiousity i may as well try the demo, downloading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Indeed the stack is getting bigger and bigger but atleast this has a demo to try.
    I dont hold much hope but out of curiousity i may as well try the demo, downloading now.

The Demo or trial for STO is a waste of bandwidth. The trial is sooooooooo short and you get to see so very little of the game its beyond a joke.

Tempted as well, though not sure if enough to pay for it. A demo might settle that.

Don't.

It really is that bad.

Rev have I ever steered ya wrong on a MMO?

Branoic wrote: »
    I booted this up again the other day to see if there had been any technical improvements which would allow me to actually play the game - but no, it still crashes constantly on ground away missions. This is despite it working perfectly in the beta. :mad:

Making sure dynamic lighting is turned off might help.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Don't.

It really is that bad.

Tried it out and tend to agree.
    Its like champions online only worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Don't.

It really is that bad.

Avoided, though I was sceptical to begin with.
    Guess its back to waiting for jumpgate and/or black prophecy.

Im thinking of a wow return YET AGAIN :rolleyes:.
    Apart from that im tempted to get APB,looks fun , i just wonder what longevity will be like.
    Cant wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic but thats next year, guild wars 2 looks very good too, when is it out?
    Ill probably play some LOTRO when it goes F2P but doubt it will keep me interested longterm.

I quite enjoying playing AOC again recently but was shocked how fast i got fed up of the end game raiding :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Avoided, though I was sceptical to begin with.
    Guess its back to waiting for jumpgate and/or black prophecy.

If one of these aren't good, then i give up. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

STO is 20quid for the DigitalDeluxe version on steam right now with their sale, that said, i still wouldnt do it unless ye have nothing better to do with yer money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

Regardless of the negative comments above and poor reviews I've tried the demo and purchased a life-time sub for this. I haven't played the game before the season 2 content was released so I don't know if that changes things, but for what it's worth... I love this game and would encourage other people to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I enjoy it. I've seen they plan to roll out the ability to create your own missions, probably within the next 3 months or so. Given the lack of decent story missions on the Klingon side, I can see that getting a good workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

not too bad, a must if you are a die hard fan, il give it 6 months and see how i geton, so far so good, a bit repetitive but all in all its ok

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

I just canceled my sub, got far to repetitive and I hate cryptics C-Store micro transactions, just to many little things, and a few big ones wrong with the game imo that makes it not fun to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Bought it last week. It's a little repetitive but very enjoyable. I just hope the story goes somewhere. And dabo is very addictive, would of been a nice touch tho if they had the DS9 theme tune though when you reach DS9. username is hawk@devilstiffe if anyone wants to team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Didn't renew my subscription. Man that game gets boring fast. There's so much they could of done with it but didn't- I mean it's Star Trek ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Is anyone still playing this? I have a lifetime sub (I know, I know!) but actually stopped playing about 2 months after launch due to some technical issues on my end.

Have gone back to it yesterday, starting a new char from scratch, and from what I've heard (though not yet experienced as I'm still just starting out) there's been some welcome updates in the last year - the terrible sector space has been reworked, there is a new diplomatic corps for non-combat progression, weekly "episodes" which make it feel a lot more "Trek" and probably the biggest - The Foundry has just launched, allowing user generated missions. By all reports some of the stuff coming out of the Foundry is awesome already.

So. Anyone else playing? Thoughts? To me it looks like when STO launched, even trek fans had a hard time liking it, but now, while it's still probably not an AAA title which non-trek MMO players would like, I think they've done a lot to appeal to the fanbase over the year.

I'll also be on the lookout for a fleet to join over the next couple of weeks, once I've found my feet a bit, so recommendations would be welcome.

Not playing it at the moment, but have been thinking of giving it another go. There have been some good updates, and i like the idea of the Foundry. Wouldnt mind having a go at creating some episodes myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Its free to play now, anyone playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Been playing it in drips and drabs over the last few days, i must say the space battles are so much fun, espeicilly in pvp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Eye of Orion

I started up over a week ago, just got a sabre class ship, space battles are a bit quicker. I am a Lt. Cmdr atm, but the missions keep giving me battles against the borg, one shotted!

Not on the game atm, if anyone wants to talk more about it, let me know!

I started up over a week ago, just got a sabre class ship, space battles are a bit quicker. I am a Lt. Cmdr atm, but the missions keep giving me battles against the borg, one shotted!

Not on the game atm, if anyone wants to talk more about it, let me know!

You shouldn't be anywhere near the Borg at that level. What missions you doing?

Its happened me too :( You get like a system wide distress signal when in sector space, you click and you are dumped in with a half dozen or so cubes and loads of spheres. My constitution class got totally raped

Yeah, distress calls also, however, I was directed to Deep Sapce station K-7, and was given missions about the klingons to go to a system, but its the borg in it, i let peopel complete it, and then i go back, hand it in, and get same mission.........

Have done a few of the user created foundry missions, really enjoyed them. Its a good game imo, but I have to admit I haven't experienced the MMO aspect yet, I've soloed nearly everything and talked to one guy, thats it. The input other players have had is basically just seeing them flying around sector space or around earth space station. Coming from wow this is a bit of a shock, there seems to be little social aspect. I'm only a lt commander, does this change at later levels?

I have witnessed no social aspect, as i still have 8 hours of game time to play before i can comment in zones, even talkign to people is awkward, as u need to keep right clicking and sending messages

Might try it again over the week, not too pushed on it

Have done a few of the user created foundry missions, really enjoyed them. Its a good game imo, but I have to admit I haven't experienced the MMO aspect yet, I've soloed nearly everything and talked to one guy, thats it. The input other players have had is basically just seeing them flying around sector space or around earth space station. Coming from wow this is a bit of a shock, there seems to be little social aspect. I'm only a lt commander, does this change at later levels?

The lack of OOC or /say chat in STO is very weird to get used to once you have played other MMO's. The only difference between level 1 to max level is your gear, the ship you fly and the faction of the mobs you will be fighting. Apart from STFs, PvP and PvE events its a solo game.

I'm addicted to the game now, the missions started off fun, then got a bit monotonous but then really picked up. Time travel, helping Scotty and McCoy, utterly fantastic stuff, haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I started playing this again the other day just to see what it's like now, and it's really come along. I'm not too far into it, but it really if fun. I still haven't a clue what I'm doing in some sections (and how the hell do you use schematics?), but it's all put together really well.

Of the too big space franchise games(this and Star Wars Old Republic), I prefer this. I still think SWTOR is a great game, but it doesn't feel too Star Wars-ish, where as this is all Star Trek, through and through.

• Advertisement

I was really disappointed with Star Trek to be honest. It had some good points, but certain things just annoyed the hell out of me. Ground combat was disgracefully bad (i know it's better now), and i hated the Sector Map/Travelling system. It just felt totally unnatural, and looked awful. I will give it another go though, as the space combat was enjoyable.

To be fair though, I just wanted Eve Online, with a better combat system, and ships from Star Trek.

Advertisement