Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Online

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Venom wrote: »
    Along with the best graphics and music in any current MMO unlike STO.
    Varied quests that are not copy and paste's of each other unlike STO.
    A proper crafting system unlike STO.
    A proper pvp system unlike STO.
    One of the better housing systems of any MMO.
    A decent combat system unlike unlike STO.

Careful now you're making me consider giving Conan another go.

Personally I must say I really wanted to give STO a go.
    But having been bitten a few time to many at this stage regards the launch of recent MMORPG I'm seeing the wisdom in sitting these things out for a month or two after launch. All I can say is Jumpgate better not be another epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Venom wrote: »
    Along with the best graphics and music in any current MMO unlike STO.
    Varied quests that are not copy and paste's of each other unlike STO.
    A proper crafting system unlike STO.
    A proper pvp system unlike STO.
    One of the better housing systems of any MMO.
    A decent combat system unlike unlike STO.

Yeah STO is much better than AoC :rolleyes:

not defending STO but AoC didn't have a pvp system at launch and the crafting system was so horrible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Careful now you're making me consider giving Conan another go.

Personally I must say I really wanted to give STO a go.
    But having been bitten a few time to many at this stage regards the launch of recent MMORPG I'm seeing the wisdom in sitting these things out for a month or two after launch. All I can say is Jumpgate better not be another epic fail.

I better not tell you AoC has a free 10 day trial so :)

What I would suggest tho is to avoid STO like the plague. Its the most shallow excuse of a MMO and apart from ok character creation the rest of the game is pretty meh.

Funky wrote: »
    not defending STO but AoC didn't have a pvp system at launch and the crafting system was so horrible :P

Dont get me wrong the pvp system AoC had at launch was lame but STO's is just the same form of ganking only instanced like everything else in STO.

Crafting I though was grand in AoC, you could build cities after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bastun

Anti wrote: »
    Oh did i mention that the people connecting from the states have prefered connections. While you could be waiting upto one hour to log in, our retarded american cousins get straight in(proven by euro people able to instantly log in when connected to a american proxy

Um, what? There aren't any queues. Haven't been since they saw the number of people who'd d/loaded the open beta and they got new hardware in.
    Or the fact that almost every fast food vendor ((No supprise) gives away codes when you super size your drink or fries to get special in game items? And we get none of these in europe.

By "almost every", you mean, er, one? Del Taco. No others that I'm aware of. And you got an in-game "pet shuttle". If you want one, I think you can still get them for a couple of dollars on ebay.
    The game in its current state is still pretty much what i would consider a Alpha, let alone a beta. Dont waste yoru money on it. I would say come back in 6/8 months, but by that time no one will be playing this game.

Alpha, you'd be expecting daily crashes. There's been a few crashes since launch, sure, but not at that rate since the first week of launch. Down to a weekly scheduled 2-hour downtime now, which handily happens at 11am to 1pm Irish time midweek, when most of us can't play anyway. Which is more stable than WoW or AoC were at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

More to the point, as an avid EVE online player, how does it compare?

Your thoughts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

as an avid EVE online player, how does it compare?
    I doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

If you feel the payment is worth eh .. a month of gameplay than yes its quite worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

Kiith wrote: »
    I doesn't.

Rgr that!! Nothing to see here so.

/Jedi hand wave

"These are not the internet spaceships you are looking for"

If you feel the payment is worth eh .. a month of gameplay than yes its quite worth it.

STO has 2ish weeks of very dull gameplay gameplay at best.

Maj Malfunction it really is a total waste of money in its current form and to be perfectly honest has no business being called an MMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

I would say its dull if you arent into startrek at all... and just click thru the dialog to get to the shootin. Some of the missions are rinse and repeat but there are ground and space missions which alternate and take out the monotony. Little to no gear grind as completing most missions give mods/equipment. maybe its my current playing style thats kept me interested (maybe an hr or 2 a night) inbetween xbox360 rounds. Cant really compare it to EvE as its totaly difft gameplay other than futuristic/space mmo and is much easier for a novice mmo/gamer to pick up and learn than eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bastun

If anyone's looking for a (mainly) Irish fleet, check out www.startrekonline dot me (yes, .me, not .com). I'm not typing the URL cos when I did that on the official forums, it got crawled by a bot and we ended up with loads of spam applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Guys does anyone have a buddy key? Id love to get this game but I am not sure if it will work on my lappy so a 5 day trial would rock!

If anyone could pm me a buddy key Id be really grateful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stompy

Played the game for a month till my sub ran out , and i have to say im highly disappointed , im staying away from this game , unless they drastically get their act together and rebuild the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Funky wrote: »

actually AoC did have a pvp system from launch, it even had its own battlegrounds, there may have been a level restriction, but it was there.
    the crafting was crap though. the first 20 levels were fantastic, after that it was like aion, a horrible grindfest with no quests after level 50.. shame, it was a beautiful game. barbs ftw :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

actually AoC did have a pvp system from launch, it even had its own battlegrounds, there may have been a level restriction, but it was there.
    the crafting was crap though. the first 20 levels were fantastic, after that it was like aion, a horrible grindfest with no quests after level 50.. shame, it was a beautiful game. barbs ftw :)

Yes, Age of Conan did have a PvP system from launch, it just wasn't the PvP system it promised prior to launch. The Guild V Guild system wasn't actually implemented at all and while the Battlegrounds/Scenarios were there from launch, there were 4 maps 2 of which were carbon copies of each other but with different art.

Skills were buggy, some classes were massively overpowered at launch, the crafting system had huge gaping holes in the progression curve (whereby you couldn't actually reach higher crafting levels in jewelcrafting until several months after launch).

Other than that, I agree with the comment that it was fantastic till level 20 and then got ****ty. Mostly though, that was because of the full voice acting until level 20 and then back to reading meaningless lines of text to gather some generic item that you didn't care about. The voice acting brought you into the game and kept even monotonous quests still interesting.

From what I've seen and heard of Star Trek Online it is a lesser version of Pirates of the Burning Sea with a Star Trek veneer thrown on. Not something I would be interested in, although I did love Pirates of the Burning Sea; but a Star Trek veneer isn't enough for me to go play it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Guys, I know nothing about graphics cards or anything and was trying to get my hands on a buddy key to see if it worked but I am having no luck...... anyone know if this game will work on a ATI Raedon xpress 1150? It plays EVE and WoW just fine......

Anyway thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

There was a major update yesterday (2GB):

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1386

They've added a few things for lifetime subscribers including a special outfit. Now I'll be honest and say that I actually bought a lifetime sub. But there's no way I'd use that oufit at the moment. Be like wearing a dunse hat.

There was a major update yesterday (2GB):

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1386

They've added a few things for lifetime subscribers including a special outfit. Now I'll be honest and say that I actually bought a lifetime sub. But there's no way I'd use that oufit at the moment. Be like wearing a dunse hat.

Roflol.

Also rolling a Borg character which most lifers have done is just as much a giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Free trial on steam atm.
    10gb download though

Make that 10gb + 2gb patch

it took 2hrs to dl the 10gb which was great
    But it looks like the patch is gonna take longer to download
    Christ I better get at least a couple of hours out of this

• Advertisement

How is the game going these days btw, or is there even anyone who still plays it?

This has to be given the award for most disappointing mmo ever made. Christ, they had so much to work with, and it had nothing in it that made it stand out from any other mmo out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Hmm kinda fun but below average for my taste, granted ive only played the demo. Perhaps in a year's time it will be better

Kiith wrote: »
    How is the game going these days btw, or is there even anyone who still plays it?

This has to be given the award for most disappointing mmo ever made. Christ, they had so much to work with, and it had nothing in it that made it stand out from any other mmo out there today.

Its pretty much exactly the same as the first month with a couple of lame raidisodes added but zero solo content added and crafting still is a joke. Most of the fluff like races and ship skins that's have been added has to be bought via the C-store and at this point its turned into a see how much cash Cryptic can leech from the playerbase gig.

Avoid at all costs imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

ild best recommend to those who dont like it now, to check it out after the next large update in july, theres alot of stuff going in to the gameseason 2

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Well if anyone is still playing this and wants to hook up to do some raids of group missions my Handle is Necron@ColonelNecron
    Add me to friends or just give me a shout in game

My fleet is always looking for more European players, we're trying to form a large US / EU 24/7 style group so there will always be someone to play no matter what time your on at.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I booted this up again the other day to see if there had been any technical improvements which would allow me to actually play the game - but no, it still crashes constantly on ground away missions. This is despite it working perfectly in the beta. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Might try this out, anyone know how long the steam demo lasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Tempted as well, though not sure if enough to pay for it. A demo might settle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Branoic wrote: »
    I booted this up again the other day to see if there had been any technical improvements which would allow me to actually play the game - but no, it still crashes constantly on ground away missions. This is despite it working perfectly in the beta. :mad:

Is it a problem with your rig mate as I've not had the game crash once on me after over a months playing :confused:
    Dcully wrote: »
    I don't think the demo has a time frame but it stops you from doing anything but the starter missions & 1 quest, it gives you a good taste of the game and thats about it.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Tempted as well, though not sure if enough to pay for it. A demo might settle that.
    €20 says this will join the ever increasing stack of MMO's gathering dust on your shelf within a month.

I know mine is :(

Advertisement