Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Jim wrote: »
    That male opera singer is just terrible. I can't believe its considered "professional" music.

Hes dead jim

i couldnt resist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Should really give this a go, but I think i'll wait 'til I activate my account. Too much WoW to play (and mass Effect 2 took all my time last 2 weeks). Hopefully when I get around to it it'll have Cryptic's usual first month of fixes out of the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Jim wrote: »
    That male opera singer is just terrible. I can't believe its considered "professional" music.

one of the Irish tenors afaik :P but yeah it kinda gets annoying :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Kiith wrote: »
    My god the music in this game is awful.

Yeah its fairly crap. I turn it down and use the winamp music player contorl to listen to streaming music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I tend to have episodes of star trek playing when i am online...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I used work in a video store and have TNG on when I was working, some customer would always get interested though and ask for the episode so I kept missing the endings. Darn customers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

if anyones interested , add moylan@thyrial to your friends list .

Sto Goldspam msg sent LOL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Sto Goldspam msg sent LOL
    lol , hopefully I find it amongst all the others , man this game gets a lot of spam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

What happened to the Federation moving beyond the need for currency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Feelings so far, buggy as hell, but its keeping me interested....

Any Irish teams setup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gar1234

any buddy codes interested in giving this a lash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

How is STO? thinking of picking this up and playing it. Is it all on the same server like on EVE? since Im living in USA at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Drakar wrote: »
    What happened to the Federation moving beyond the need for currency?

yeah shouldn't the farmers be selling you gold pressed latinum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I really wanted to try this, but the number of threads/posts on the main STO forums about cancelling subs has put me off completely.

I can ignore the "Boo hoo this game is too bugged im quiting!", but there is plenty of level headed responses like, "Unfortunatly this game is quite 'meh' and I cant see any expansion/improvement to change this, cancelling my sub".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Krieg wrote: »
    I really wanted to try this, but the number of threads/posts on the main STO forums about cancelling subs has put me off completely.

I can ignore the "Boo hoo this game is too bugged im quiting!", but there is plenty of level headed responses like, "Unfortunatly this game is quite 'meh' and I cant see any expansion/improvement to change this, cancelling my sub".

Atm its fun is a single player sort of way but dont expect anything more than the most basic online options most single player games option. You wont have to group for quests, there's a very easy learning curve but overall its pretty basic compared to proper MMO's. Apart from character creation every part of STO is flawed in a major way.

The graphic and options to customise your character are really cool but from the start you can tell its a rushed product with very limited mission types, lacklustre pvp, very dull and repetitive gameplay and very little content. Casual players will burn through to max level in about 2 weeks and at max level there is only 1 repeatable daily quest to do.

I honestly expect only the die hard fanbois to be left by the time the second subscription fee is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I have a buddy key for a free 5 day trial of the game if anyone wants it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I for one wont be resubbing after my free month runs out. Just not enough to keep me interested tbh, which is not a good sign considering how much i love Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i felt the same, found it really boring and cheap after a few levels.
    probably spoiled by WoW, but meh :)

I for one am having fun in this game .. ive taken a different approach to it than i have many other mmo's ive played and limited my playing time to maybe 2-4 hrs a week and 8-10 hrs on a weekend(helps with friends always wanting to fight or play on xbox). since there is no pressure to raid or roaming pvp fleets. If i wanna carebear it up i can and if i wanna pvp (space or ground) the last few times ive queued its been almost instant. There are bugs and things id love changed so im waiting to see how they progress with updates and patches before i write the game off to the bunbox.

:pac:
    Buck@sirloot
    Bajoran Scientist
    Commander 9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I've been playing this ****hole of a game sine closed beta... What a pile of crap it is. Buggy, unfinished and just not fun to play at all.

Anti wrote: »
    I've been playing this ****hole of a game sine closed beta... What a pile of crap it is. Buggy, unfinished and just not fun to play at all.

+1

While fun for about a week or two, STO is just to unfinished to deserve paying a monthly subscription for.

Just over a month into its launch and the Devs lies about new content and raids coming every two weeks has been shown up not to mention there constant back-peddling.

Oh did i mention that the people connecting from the states have prefered connections. While you could be waiting upto one hour to log in, our retarded american cousins get straight in(proven by euro people able to instantly log in when connected to a american proxy Or the fact that almost every fast food vendor ((No supprise) gives away codes when you super size your drink or fries to get special in game items? And we get none of these in europe.

The game in its current state is still pretty much what i would consider a Alpha, let alone a beta. Dont waste yoru money on it. I would say come back in 6/8 months, but by that time no one will be playing this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a damn shame too, as a Star Trek MMO had so much potential. There's just so much that they could have done with it, and now it seems like its gone to waste.

Then again, all i wanted was slightly more fast paced Eve Online with Star Trek ships :P

I think thats what alot of people were hoping for an EvE/WoW replacement and at launch no game is going to replace something thats been running debugged and updated 3-4 yrs.

I think thats what alot of people were hoping for an EvE/WoW replacement and at launch no game is going to replace something thats been running debugged and updated 3-4 yrs.

LOTRO and WAR (to a point) prove you wrong there. STO offers so little content its more a single player game with some online chat options than a true MMO.

Even AoC at launch with all the problems it had, had way more going for it than STO does the same length of time after launch.

Thats exactally it! I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you hit the nail on the head.

hah all AoC had at launch were boobs and only one size ;( :pac:

Thats still more then what StOL has :D

• Advertisement

hah all AoC had at launch were boobs and only one size ;( :pac:

Along with the best graphics and music in any current MMO unlike STO.
    Varied quests that are not copy and paste's of each other unlike STO.
    A proper crafting system unlike STO.
    A proper pvp system unlike STO.
    One of the better housing systems of any MMO.
    A decent combat system unlike unlike STO.

Yeah STO is much better than AoC :rolleyes:

Advertisement