Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Lia_lia wrote: »
    He told me 2 years, approx..

Every six weeks for me. Although this month I have 3 visits, due to getting the bottom spacers/braces and I'm getting some lovely thing behind my front teeth to help my bite :/

I was told approx. two years also (when I got them in Nov '09). I was going back every 4/5 weeks and they were off in July '11. You kind of live month to month with them and you're always looking for little (or big in my case) change :) so it does go quickly.

Best thing I ever did. I was 30 when I started treatment. Going back tomorrow to get new set of retainers, incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I was told approx. two years also (when I got them in Nov '09). I was going back every 4/5 weeks and they were off in July '11. You kind of live month to month with them and you're always looking for little (or big in my case) change :) so it does go quickly.

Best thing I ever did. I was 30 when I started treatment. Going back tomorrow to get new set of retainers, incidentally.

I really hope I get done that quickly. Did you have any significant issues with your bite?

Congratulations on getting yours off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I had my first tightening with both sets on during the week. In and out in about 7 minutes. It's great. A little bit of pressure on the lower teeth on one side especially for about 2 days after, so was bit sore to eat but I managed. Lovely white elastics now.

Anyway all still going very well. I did book a clean with the hygenist because as teeth move you can see where plaque was building up where I couldn't clean before so hopefully she can get some of that off even with the brace still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

photo219e.jpg

Got another tightening today! YAY clean braces!!! :D:D

Have about another 2-3 months to go, then getting some gum lasering and bonding & shaping done! Very excited!

I have a tightening next week too and really need it as elastics almost glowing orange at this stage from all the tea I've been drinking. But then again a choice between white elastics and tea is only going to have one winner!

How was your tightening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ So jealous of the length of the treatment time! Your teeth didn't even really look like they needed braces in the first place tbh!

^ So jealous of the length of the treatment time! Your teeth didn't even really look like they needed braces in the first place tbh!

My teeth were far from perfect and I've always wanted straight pearly whites. So I decided it was the time to invest in my teeth and getting all the work done I wanted.

Can't wait to be finished. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Definetly never too old for braces, I felt like a right old fart going in but was told the patient before me was older so that made me feel a bit better.

Had been wanting braces for years and now sorry I didn't get them done sooner, was always told (mainly by parents) it was too expensive so I put it off. Thought one day sod it will ask for myself, at that time a lot of people were going up North for their dental work and I thought well there's no way I can travel up North every month. Turns out local Ortho was not too expensive in the end, well ok it is expensive but it's split into 6 month payments. Thank you credit union!!

The hardest part was having to get 4 teeth out first, am a very nervous patient but the thought of having straight teeth made me go through with it. Wasn't for vanity mainly because the teeth were so close together and upper front were over lapping it was so hard to clean them properly. A small filling had to be put behind my front teeth and I though if I don't get braces I'm gonna end up with a gap urgh.

So went through with it at 3 years ago (am in my 30s) and have only one more appointment to go which is a general check up. For me the ickiest (aside from having teeth taken out) was getting the glue taken off..so gross.

At first you're self concious and eventually you forget you have them on except for a day after having them tightened. Then you start noticing other people your own age that have them, before that never noticed.

After 2 years the braces came out and I got retainers to wear for a couple of days and then only for nighttime, it was such a relief to only have to have them at night. But now after 3 years am fed up with them and can't wait to be rid but I think you probably have to wear them maybe a couple of times a week for a while at least??

Have a cleaning appointment coming up, then going to book in for a dental check up before final Ortho appointment. I am so nervous at the dentist but braces themselves are not so bad so even if someone is reading this, and a bit nervous I'd say go for it it's so worth it in the end and you find yourself looking after your teeth better in general..and lecturing other people and shaking your head when you see someone drinking fizzy stuff without a straw..

Had lovely clean new elastics on about 5 days and then I ate some curry flavoured noodle. Kinda forgot that even though it's not real food it's still got all the curry staining properties. Anyway white elastics are now a little green glowing! You live and learn!

Still going great and issue free!

Had lovely clean new elastics on about 5 days and then I ate some curry flavoured noodle. Kinda forgot that even though it's not real food it's still got all the curry staining properties. Anyway white elastics are now a little green glowing! You live and learn!

Still going great and issue free!

I do the same sometimes! Thank god I've only a couple of months left! Mine are already a tad stained after 9days! I haven't even eaten anything strong in colour! Have a good few wires though, so at least they don't stain! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I had braces for about 2 and a half years when I was 15. I'm 19 now and sadly my front tooth ( yep, just the one) moved despite religiously wearing the retainer. The orthodentist said that could happen though and made a new retainer that fits. On the up side everything else is fine. Bottom teeth are great.

Still think I might go back and get them redone. Just the top anyway! I've funny shaped teeth so I dont think they'll ever look perfect? Even of they are straight.

This thread is reminding me to look into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sophiekearns

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I do the same sometimes! Thank god I've only a couple of months left! Mine are already a tad stained after 9days! I haven't even eaten anything strong in colour! Have a good few wires though, so at least they don't stain! :D

Hi Jwacqui,
    Great job! Looks like you are well on the way to that perfect set of pearly whites!

You said you could have your braces off in a couple of months, did you go for the 6 month smiles option then?

Also are you going to have a fixed retainer fitter post treatment?

I have had a few consultations and the common feedback I've been getting is adult teath move .. and whether you get a fixed retainer or a not you really gotta be prepared to wear a retainer for life ...

Does that tie in with what you've been told ..

Hi Jwacqui,
    Great job! Looks like you are well on the way to that perfect set of pearly whites!

You said you could have your braces off in a couple of months, did you go for the 6 month smiles option then?

Also are you going to have a fixed retainer fitter post treatment?

I have had a few consultations and the common feedback I've been getting is adult teath move .. and whether you get a fixed retainer or a not you really gotta be prepared to wear a retainer for life ...

Does that tie in with what you've been told ..[/Quote]

I did go for 6month braces but not because of the 6month braces buzz. I chose them because I know 3 people who have been to the dental practice I've went to and their results have been great. Also I wanted bonding, some reahaping and gum recontouring Which Is all included. I love my dentist and feel totally at ease with my treatment.

I'm nearly 7months in with another 4-8weeks to go. I really don't mind how long it takes as long as they're exactly what I want.

I've been told I need to wear a retainer every day for 6months, 3months every night and then every second night after that for life pretty much. I'm no expert but I think no matter when you get braces you'll have to wear a retainer. My dentist made it clear If I wasn't willing to do this I was wasting my money.

Hope that helps... I can post before and after pics when I'm fully finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Orthoman

"I did go for 6month braces but not because of the 6month braces buzz."

"I'm nearly 7months in with another 4-8weeks to go. I really don't mind how long it takes as long as they're exactly what I want. "

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So you didn't go for "6month braces"? Right?

Jwacqui, you're so lucky that the bonding is included! I must get bonding on (at least) two teeth. They are seriously chipped. Might end up going to France to get the bonding done because I've insurance over there. Was gonna get the braces over there (my younger brother and sister got theirs for €1800 each only :eek: ) but the travelling would just be a pain.

This month I have been to the orthodontist 4 times already to get various things put in :eek: Getting two lower teeth extracted next week. I'm actually surprised at how little pain the bottom braces are causing me, had it much worse when I got the top ones put in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Orthoman

"Jwacqui, you're so lucky that the bonding is included! "

Lia_lia, you can't really compare Jwacqui's case in the photo of posting 44, with your photo in posting 50, and consider that Jwacqui is lucky to have the bonding included. Her treatment is a very mild cosmetic case whereas you have probably suffered considerable wear due to the deep bite and your treatment is far more involved.
    Perhaps Jwacqui is lucking to have the bonding included if she is a "6monthbraces" client of a general dentist as their terms of service mentions an additional charge for each additional bonding. However it's unlucky for some as a lot of the "6monthbraces" bonding is done because of the rush to take the brace off rather than spend a little more time aligning the teeth correctly. Then again they do get "free" tooth whitening at the end with their retainer .... probably costs 20€:rolleyes:

Best of luck with your treatment.

^ Oh I absolutely realise that her case is much simpler than mine, and that she gets the bonding as part of the package because it's a cosmetic thing. I was just stating my jealousy from a financial perspective...being the poor student and all! I am very happy with my orthodontist and the treatment I'm getting.

I'm not slating the 6 months braces treatment either, though. I knew a few people who have got 6 month braces and have had very successful results. However, all of these people had crowding due to not wearing their retainers from previous orthodontic treatment, so the cases were not very difficult!

And thank you!

Orthoman wrote: »
    "I did go for 6month braces but not because of the 6month braces buzz."

"I'm nearly 7months in with another 4-8weeks to go. I really don't mind how long it takes as long as they're exactly what I want. "

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So you didn't go for "6month braces"? Right?

Haha I did but they will be taking longer than 6months. I'm happy with my treatment, I appreciate your opinions and expertise but what's done is done and currently I'm happy with my braces and progress.

Braces still great.

As they pulled the teeth from on top of each other there were these really dark marks on the teeth, which I thought were pretty permanent from where I hadn't able to clean them properly in the jumble. Anyway finally braved going to the hygenist for a clean. I find this process extremely distressing and usually end up a blubbering mess. This time I didn't cry, I really felt I deserved a lollipop. When I looked at the teeth all the marks gone! I hadn't been for a full full clean in many years and the difference unbelievable. When the braces come off she'll be able to do an even more thorough job.

TL;DR - The hygenist is fantastic and everyone should go!

What are peoples thoughts on adults and coloured elastics? I know they look good on the teenagers but are we too old to get away with it?

The reason I ask is heading to Poland in June. I'm considering getting 2 green, 2 white and 2 orange elastics across 6 front teeth (the flag, geddit?!). Is this a little too childish or can I get away with it? i do want to expirament with colours before the brace comes off but don't know is this a step too far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

What are peoples thoughts on adults and coloured elastics? I know they look good on the teenagers but are we too old to get away with it?

Go for it- they look great

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

First 6 weeks is a nightmare, then after second visit when he/she adjusts the teeth the next day or 2 nightmare again, but since then its been plain sailing and you forget you even have them in most of the time. Im nearly a year now and im over the moon with how they look.

Best decision ive ever made. I paid 250 every 6/8 weeks which make it easy for me to pay.

Just do it if it something you have always wanted to do, you wont regret it.

I can recommend the guy I used if you want to pm me. Brilliant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Ive just started my ortho treatment,i got ceramic on top and normal on bottom.I got the bottom one's on first and they were not to bad, not much pain etc, but saying that i think its my top teeth that need the most movement. Got the top brace on and feel really awkward been two weeks now and just can't get used to it, feel like i can't close my mouth properly or anything. Hoping this will go, i also find it really weird when i sneeze and i can't whistle anymore. but still delighted i got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Just had my initial consultation today in a clinic in Ennis! The staff were lovely which was a bonus. Got quoted €4400 which I thought was a bit high seeing as I had braces when I was younger but I don't really mind. It's a pretty negligible amount when you pay over 12-15 months. Plus I get a year's post treatment too... I had toyed with six month braces but a few people from work recommended this crowd so that worked for me! Will post pictures soon! Getting them on 2nd March! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Got spacers in yesterday, they are the devils work, getting my braces on Thurs tell me they're not as painful as these damn blue yokes?!

^ Depends on the person I'd say! I only had spacers (4 of them) on my bottom teeth and they barely hurt at all. Had them for 2 weeks! Some people say the spacers are the worst part though, so lets hope it's the same for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

^ Depends on the person I'd say! I only had spacers (4 of them) on my bottom teeth and they barely hurt at all. Had them for 2 weeks! Some people say the spacers are the worst part though, so lets hope it's the same for you! :)

I have them on the top and bottom. The top are fine and I think that's due to the fact that I got two top teeth removed last week therefore less pressure. I only got one botom tooth removed and it was tiny and not even in line with the rest so there is big competition for space there :/

Hi everyone!

How are you all getting on? I had a tightening today, some tweaking left on the top to do. The dentist had to remove and reposition 3 brackets, dear lord! It felt like he was going to crack a tooth off! I need to move one of my canines up and literally the left side of my face/jaw is killing me! Haven't had this much pain since week 1! :eek: He said it was a taster of getting them off! I think I'll be dosing up on the nurofen before then! Any other tips?

I had a severe case of gingivitis last week, was on antibiotics, its just gone down. Cannot wait to get these off and get a good cleaning of my teeth! I normally get them done every 6months and its been 9months! :(

Anyway heres a pic! Some of my teeth have uneven ends but getting that fixed up! :D

img1317sp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Hi all,
    I have recently gotten my upper ceramic braces on.
    My Ortho told me to avoid fizzy drinks like coke etc
    I was wondering is sparkling water in this category?
    I'm really struggling with the lack of fizz lol

• Advertisement

^ I wasn't specifically told avoid fizzy drinks for braces, I always figured that was more of a in general for your teeth but an ortho may advise better. I've been maxing out on coke this week cos was studying so hope not doing more damage than would without braces.

I find not drinking tea, coffee and indian type foods hardest as they stain the elastics quickly. The longest I've gone without turning them green-y yellow is 5 days. It was curry flavoured supernoodles last time and singapore noodles this time. And all the tea isn't helping either.

I'm still problem free and teeth moving nicely. One's pulled forward to let one fangy one back so look a little more uneven in places than before braces but happy out. I have to get more brackets on back teeth next so hope they don't catch as will be tighter to gums.

I'm already freaking out about getting them off. This worries me a lot and not for another 8 months. As with Jwacuai post above anyone I've talked to about it says it's not pleasant process. As a qualified dentist I figure ortho can give painkiller injection or else may go to doctor for some sort of sedative. Not sure can a dentist prescribe that?. Do the dentist on forum know? Tried explaining at last visit that I'm worried about process but not sure he understands that that is a valid fear and that the alternative is pretty much me in a blubbering panick-attacked mess.

Advertisement