Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a dog license?

Options
  • 26-01-2012 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

... and what does it do?

We've had lots of dogs down through the years and never once had a license. But my folks had a visit from a warden type, warning them (in his best Darth Vader voice, I imagine) that if they didn't get a license, the dogs would be destroyed.:eek:

We have about 14 dogs at home (I know, it's too much, but one had puppies) which apparently means about €2,000 for those lifetime licenses to cover them.

Just wondering if people generally buy these things? Most rural folk I know don't seem to bother with them.

Do you have a valid dog license 96 votes

Yes, I own a dog and I have a valid license
    0% 0 votes
    No, I own a dog and do not have a valid license
    31% 30 votes
    I do not own a dog
    39% 38 votes
    I own an Atari Jaguar and do not have a license
    29% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Have 2 dogs and 2 licences. Best €28 ever. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes I have a license to dog :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Naw I just a learner driver:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I have a license but no dog.
    It's just incase one shows up looking for a bed for the night, I can legally let him in.
    It's for his own protection as well as mine.

I have a cat though, she doesn't have a license. She's a bit upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Never got one for our jack russell who we had for 16 years but she was a house dog, where as I got one for the labrador we have now as he is a bit harder to hide.

He is only 1 year old so i got one last year and they have sent me out a reminder to pay for it. Kinda raging I started paying it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

They're a cod. Growing up in the country, we always had one for our dogs but most neighbours and extended family never bothered getting one and "the man" never seemed to bother them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Have had dogs all my life and never had a license for them. Don't see the point really. The dog breed is either legal or illegal, all mine have been legal, and the license isn't a reflection on my ability to keep dogs, so what's the point in it?

Breeding licenses for humans, now there's a system I could back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No.

I have a black and white dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My dog died back in 2008 and I had her licensed, however I did not get another dog afterwards so have no need now. When my parents got the little terrier first we did not licence her and one day the dog warden arrived and my mother told him she was only a stray but I was throwing her a bite to eat. He was going to take this stray to the pound but my mother said she was trying to find a home for her, they got her a licence that week which was around £5 at the time, about a month later the dog warden arrived back to know were we still having problem with that stray!

However when we showed him the licence he never again bothered us! I remember it beingaround €12.70 or €15 the last time I paid it, I notice it is €20 now and I would not pay that much now even if I had a dog, taxes which are low and fair I do not mind however €20 for a Dog licence is taking the doggie biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

quietriot wrote: »
    Have had dogs all my life and never had a license for them. Don't see the point really. The dog breed is either legal or illegal, all mine have been legal, and the license isn't a reflection on my ability to keep dogs, so what's the point in it?

Breeding licenses for humans, now there's a system I could back.

there are no illegal dogs, what you are thinking of is the restricted dogs list which only applies to dublin city council areas and all it meand is if your dog is on the list you must have a muzzle on the dog. you can't make a breed illegal that is just stupid it's the owner that is to blame if a dog is aggressive.

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »
    there are no illegal dogs, what you are thinking of is the restricted dogs list which only applies to dublin city council areas and all it meand is if your dog is on the list you must have a muzzle on the dog. you can't make a breed illegal that is just stupid it's the owner that is to blame if a dog is aggressive.
    Indeed, restricted was the thing I was thinking about. What I really meant was that I've always had what are deemed to be "safe" which wouldn't attract any attention off people in the same way a rottweiler or staffie might from neighbours.

why should i have to pay for a licence for my dog? what dose it do? nothing it's a laod of rubbish. why are there no cat, horse, monkey,parrot goldfish licences. i can go get a pet leamer and i don't need a licence it is a load uf utter nonsense. they can go and ask me arse.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Stinicker wrote: »
    , I notice it is €20 now and I would not pay that much now even if I had a dog, taxes which are low and fair I do not mind however €20 for a Dog licence is taking the doggie biscuit.

Only last year it was 12 euro, what blastards!!!

why should i have to pay for a licence for my dog? what dose it do? nothing it's a laod of rubbish. why are there no cat, horse, monkey,parrot goldfish licences. i can go get a pet leamer and i don't need a licence it is a load uf utter nonsense. they can go and ask me arse.:p
    Fairly sure you need a license to keep monkeys here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

From where?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Just blame the dog lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Stinicker wrote: »
    My dog died back in 2008 and I had her licensed, however I did not get another dog afterwards so have no need now. When my parents got the little terrier first we did not licence her and one day the dog warden arrived and my mother told him she was only a stray but I was throwing her a bite to eat. He was going to take this stray to the pound but my mother said she was trying to find a home for her, they got her a licence that week which was around £5 at the time, about a month later the dog warden arrived back to know were we still having problem with that stray!

However when we showed him the licence he never again bothered us! I remember it beingaround €12.70 or €15 the last time I paid it, I notice it is €20 now and I would not pay that much now even if I had a dog, taxes which are low and fair I do not mind however €20 for a Dog licence is taking the doggie biscuit.

When we got the Euro it converted from £10 to €12.70 so it has been that price for at least 10 or 12 years maybe 20 or more. It possibly doubled from £5 to £10 the last time it was increased, probably not worth the admin to increase it for inflation every year. It is hard to say if €20 is fair or not without knowing how the money is spent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If it's anything like the TV licence, the government are soon going to tell us that we have to have a dog licence, whether or not we actually own a dog at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 X.Static

4 dogs and no licence, you have to feed a dog not like tv plus dogs are more entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

quietriot wrote: »
    Fairly sure you need a license to keep monkeys here?
    Not as far as I know, no.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    From where?:confused:

ok bad example i have seen them before though, i do know if you go to one of the pet shops in malihide you can buy meerkats though. i think it's disgustion having these kinds of animals locked up as pets. i wonder where the meerkat craze came from? comparethemarket.com i just can't believe parents buy them for their kids because they have seen them on an ad.
    they also have monkeys, parrots and the like. horrible :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Posy wrote: »
    If it's anything like the TV licence, the government are soon going to tell us that we have to have a dog licence, whether or not we actually own a dog at all.

We should pass a law making politicians purchase a 'Troll licence' when they get elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

When we got the Euro it converted from £10 to €12.70 so it has been that price for at least 10 or 12 years maybe 20 or more. It possibly doubled from £5 to £10 the last time it was increased, probably not worth the admin to increase it for inflation every year. It is hard to say if €20 is fair or not without knowing how the money is spent.

It goes into the blackhole known as Local Authorities where it is well wasted for sure. Lads leaning all day on shovels getting 40k a year and a €400/week pension at 60 thats where it goes.

In Kerry when they brought in the NPPR second homes levy of €200 a year back in 2009, the then FF controlled County Council spent the €8m or whatever they took in on a massive extension to County Buildings in Tralee and made sure to stuff all those un-neccesary jobs then with FF cronies and hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Three Dogs, two sheep dogs and a terrier, no licences tough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 X.Static

Ok are all the moderwankers asleep should this not be in the animals & pet issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

X.Static wrote: »
    Ok are all the moderwankers asleep should this not be in the animals & pet issues?

Indeed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61356320

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Where's the option for people who have a dog license but no dog? :D

In any case I only have a learner's permit.

X.Static wrote: »
    I was afraid someone would suggest that.

I didn't post it in animals and pet issues because the poll might get slighly distorted in respect of the fact that arguably the most committed pet owners (the types who dress their dogs in dog clothes and Newbridge collars, and worry about dog licenses) may be more highly represented than the garden variety dog owner in that forum.

By the way,interesting fact. Other seemingly random licenses required by the state (well, Revenue actually) are "Railway car licenses", "Railway refreshment room licenses" and "Military canteen licenses":confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We have a dog license, yes. I don't agree with it but it gets paid because its cheap.

If the RTE license was a bit more reasonable, I imagine people wouldn't get as upset about paying for it.

• Advertisement

Mousey- wrote: »
    Three Dogs,.. and a terrier
    Are terriers not considered dogs?

If you prick them, do they not bleed?
    If you tickle them, do they not laugh?
    And if you wrong them, shall they not revenge?

Advertisement