Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a dog license?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

later10 wrote: »
    Are terriers not considered dogs?

If you tickle them, do they not laugh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its funny.
    Poll is closely matched between people who pay the license and people who do not.

Its funny tho :)
    Anytime there is a thread about doing a nixer on boards you get peoples blood boiling... "those bastards not paying tax report them! :mad:" ... but yet? same person having a dog and not paying a license?

God I hate humanity more day by day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anybody see what they do to stray dogs in the Ukraine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Its funny.
    Poll is closely matched between people who pay the license and people who do not.

Its funny tho :)
    Anytime there is a thread about doing a nixer on boards you get peoples blood boiling... "those bastards not paying tax report them! :mad:" ... but yet? same person having a dog and not paying a license?

God I hate humanity more day by day :)
    People generally see a rationale behind income taxes and social contribution taxes, though.

Not so much an arbitrary tax on one kind of animal, for an amount which is not really sufficient to discourage overbreeding, and seems to serve very questionable purpose. The figures here are relatively tiny as well. I don't think anybody would seriously be too bothered about a once off €20 nixer.

mikom wrote: »
    Anybody see what they do to stray dogs in the Ukraine?
    Shower them with teddy bears and smother them with kisses to make them feel loved?

/exits thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

People generally see a rationale behind income taxes and social contribution taxes, though.

Not so much an arbitrary tax on one kind of animal, for an amount which is not really sufficient to discourage overbreeding, and seems to serve very questionable purpose. The figures here are relatively tiny as well. I don't think anybody would seriously be too bothered about a once off €20 nixer.

Define 'people's rationale'
    Sure look at the poll results. People having no issue with paying it and people having an issue and not paying it. There in black and white.

Dog license is a social contribution tax too. You pay. It goes to the government. Can then be used to pay a fireman, a policeman, a nurse etc etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I don't have a dog but when I do get one I won't be getting a
    license.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I havn't passed the test yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

We get hunts around here most weekends causing a nuisance..just wondering are they supposed to have licences for their Dogs ?.

archer22 wrote: »
    We get hunts around here most weekends causing a nuisance..just wondering are they supposed to have licences for their Dogs ?.

Yes, hunts are required to have a license, but not for individual dogs.

The committee are given one pack license for the entire kennel, regardless of how many hounds they keep in the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I've a marraige certificate is that the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

**** your Honda Civic, I have a dog outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

My mate has a dog with 3 legs what will that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was afraid someone would suggest that.

I didn't post it in animals and pet issues because the poll might get slighly distorted in respect of the fact that arguably the most committed pet owners (the types who dress their dogs in dog clothes and Newbridge collars, and worry about dog licenses) may be more highly represented than the garden variety dog owner in that forum.

By the way,interesting fact. Other seemingly random licenses required by the state (well, Revenue actually) are "Railway car licenses", "Railway refreshment room licenses" and "Military canteen licenses":confused:

What do you think of the garden variety responses so far? By the way not really interesting fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Karona wrote: »
    Never got one for our jack russell who we had for 16 years but she was a house dog, where as I got one for the labrador we have now as he is a bit harder to hide.

He is only 1 year old so i got one last year and they have sent me out a reminder to pay for it. Kinda raging I started paying it in the first place.

Hide a dog so you would not pay 28eu per year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

One of my dogs got licensed but she ate the licence, along with some other quite important documents, fortunately I caught her just in time as she was beginning to chow down on my passport.
    I always wondered if she is still licensed even though the licence wasn't in a very presentable state the last time I saw it, as it had morphed into something more worthy to be thrown at, rather than presented to, an official looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Was forced to buy one when my dog was kidnapped and held ransom by the pound. i don't normally negotiate with terrorists but made the exception once.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

The government should be paying me to keep my dog,he is as useful as tits on a bull,but I still love him.
    (any idea why boards is not working on my google chrome today)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

... and what does it do?

I believe one of it's purposes is to assign responsibility for the dog.

If it attacks someone, shits in a public pool or steals a car the name on the license will end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I've a license.....but no dog ;)

Ahuhuhhuuuhuhhuh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I have two dogs , a terrier who has the dog equivalent of schizophrenia ..various personalities from cute cuddly little dog to raving maniac dog .

My second dog is a stuffed dog I bought a few years ago in a junk shop,he's the one I have the licence for ..and I'm waiting for the day a dog warden calls to my house, psycho dog regularly pisses on him too.

Advertisement