Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grandparents old car - What would you do?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

My grandmother stopped driving last June aged 90 and her car has been parked in the garage ever since. The question is what to do with the car.

1992 Nissan Primera 1.6 petrol Saloon. Was bought brand new. Has a lot of the old tax discs/ sales invoice, main dealer service history. It has only 78,000 miles and only done about 5,000 in the last 10 years. Was always mostly kept in the garage where it now lies. NCT expired Tax and Insurance. It has no rust whatsover and the inside is as new. Have taken it out and a few times since June to start it up on the driveway and wash it etc, starts every time. Would need about €500 spent on it to nct, new tyres, tax, service to put it on the road again

My family of uncle/aunts are not into cars at all and only see it as a 20 year old piece of Junk. They say its taken up room in the garage and were actually going to pay for someone to take it away and scrap it :(.

I would love to take it and enjoy it in a few years when iam older (iam 26) only that it would be left outside in the rain. I know its not the most desirable old car, but surely a 1 owner car like this with all receipts etc is worth more than scrap.

Id say it will stay in the garage till summer at least when lawnmower has to be taken out etc..

What would you do/suggest?

Also can you get vintage type tax/insurance for a car this old that i would only drive say on a sunday. I have owned a vintage car before that had vintage tax/ins but it was a 1970 beetle.

Thanks for help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

You would get classic insurance it being 20 years old. Also it being an early Primera it would be fairly scarce. It wouldnt be worth a huge amount, but if you are selling let me know. Post up some pics if you could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i get a perverse kick out of driving my 22 year old piece of junk...I'd say keep it if you can and use it, if not sell it to someone who will care for it (beware the banger racers...) Carchy would be a great custodian for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

corktina wrote: »
    i get a perverse kick out of driving my 22 year old piece of junk...I'd say keep it if you can and use it, if not sell it to someone who will care for it (beware the banger racers...) Carchy would be a great custodian for it.

LOL... only as it is not a Punto!

I agree though... 5 more years and it will be rarer than an E-type... if it isn't already.

si_guru wrote: »
    LOL... only as it is not a Punto!.

Or an Almera at the moment, you haven't seen that one have you?

I bought a 99 323f for beer money last week, it was heading for the crusher, &50 quid of parts later it's ready for the test, I sold the van and intend to use the car as a daily from now on. There's loads of stuff out there to be had like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Put a ballpark price on it here.Don't give it away,it could be worth a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Wouldn't be bothered make coherent post. Will just use bunch of words to get point across.

Get car cover. Keep car. You know what you have to to. OP says it all. Keep car. Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Its a good make and has had no hardship so many many years motoring left in it
    if i were you id keep it as its also a piece of your family history.

Family history is nice to have. Just dont let it get ratty and keep it original. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Thanks for your replys everyone. Yeah thats why i would like to keep it. I would definitely keep original. It still has all the original stuff bar one hubcap, which i think il get on ebay. Its a good car. max speed was ever about 40mph in the last 11 years @ an average of 6 miles everytime it was taken out

Would be nice to keep it as family history, as the day my grandparents got it, it was also my communion and they drove me to the church in it as proud as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Carson10 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replys everyone. Yeah thats why i would like to keep it. I would definitely keep original. It still has all the original stuff bar one hubcap, which i think il get on ebay. Its a good car. max speed was ever about 40mph in the last 11 years @ an average of 6 miles everytime it was taken out

Would be nice to keep it as family history, as the day my grandparents got it, it was also my communion and they drove me to the church in it as proud as.

No question, keep it, and keep it standard. In years to come, you'll be glad you did.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    No question, keep it, and keep it standard. In years to come, you'll be glad you did.

Yep. It's only an old car now but it will become better with age. I'd like to see it sometime, original untouched stuff is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Its a good car. max speed was ever about 40mph in the last 11 years @ an average of 6 miles everytime it was taken out

Well that won't have done it much good,but nothing that a good blast down the motorway won't sort:D

Yep. It's only an old car now but it will become better with age. I'd like to see it sometime, original untouched stuff is great.

sure thing. Never actually got any pictures of it. Mite take some of it next week and post them up. Always mean to take one of my Nan standing beside it cos she was the last driver and its her car, for family history sake.

Already found on ebay an identical match for the missing hubcap..:) in UK for about 15pound posted

sure thing. Never actually got any pictures of it. Mite take some of it next week and post them up. Always mean to take one of my Nan standing beside it cos she was the last driver and its her car, for family history sake.

Already found on ebay an identical match for the missing hubcap..:) in UK for about 15pound posted

See, you are already getting into the spirit of it!
    Pics would be good, we like pics on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

With €500 needed spending to get it going again, the car has negative economic value unless scrapped. I owned one of them and it was nothing to write home about but the spec was very good (UK import) and the handling was better than any other similar Japanese car of that time.

That said, worth is not all about money. You should keep it for sentimental value alone :)

And if you realistically can't mind the car yourself, you really should consider giving it away to a good home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Hang onto it. A car like that is worth more to have than to sell if you know what I mean. Also, it seems to have a sentimental value for you.

I was in a similiar position and sold a car which I since regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Keep it!

They are really rare (Can't remember when I last seen one)

Be different at shows to the Granadas/Sierras/Cavaliers.

Ohh and pics :cool:

ETA: If you want to sell.... I mite just be interested in it.

I would love to take it and enjoy it in a few years when iam older (iam 26) only that it would be left outside in the rain. ...............

Why can't you take it now, unless you meant to type 16 rather than 26?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Why can't you take it now, unless you meant to type 16 rather than 26?

no not 16, 26 is right. :D Have a garage at home but my dad wont want it there. Id say i will probably take it soon and let it keep me busy. Think id be happy even if i was to NCT/tax, valet/polish replace a few things and drive it every now and again for a while. Mite actually go to the Nissan garage where it was bought as its old skool and see if they have any, tax disc holders/ window stickers from 90s. It ust to have the original dealer sticker on the back window and another one about nissan 100,000km warranty, but my uncle tore them off when my grandad passed away, cos he never liked the garage wheres its out off and said there gettin free advertising :confused::rolleyes:

I will keep ye updated on my progress.

• Advertisement

ok so i took the car last week and gave it a full valet. its going for the NCT in the morning. I found the old nct sheet, and has only done 900 mile since nov 09. I know it will fail on tyres, but just want to run it throu and get a list of all small bits that need doing and see if its worth spending the money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

G'luck with the test and keep us posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Yes as above poster, good luck with the nct what a fab bit of history for you,
    keep it.......

best of luck...I'm sure it would be of interest at a show, many people would rememeber these and they've all been bangered or scrappped by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I assume its the model like so, and yeah they are rare now.A colleague at work had a 96 one until it failed the NCT on too many things I think.He now has an 01 model.

http://img1.hyperinzerce.cz/x-cz/inz/2639/2639883-nissan-primera-2-0-slx-1.jpg

done NCT yesterday! failed as i knew it would, becasue had not done anyting to prepare for it.

Needs 2 new front tyres and 2 rear brake hose pipes as they were aged not worn.

passed fine on emissions despite it lying in the garage since last year :)

I reckon all the work should cost about €200? not bad considering age. I thought it would need a lot more spent on it.

Here are some pictures after i gave it a valet. Going to wax/bumper polish etc soon.

scaled.php?server=846&filename=213jy.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=27&filename=214ra.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=440&filename=215ul.jpg&res=medium

what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

car looks good - but the view from your house looks seriously good!!

thats a fine result and a fine car (for a Nissan :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ford, Toyota, Nissan etc, hardly going to set the heart racing:), but it would have been an absolute crime and a shame to scrap that car, glad you didn't because its really immaculate.Well done.Fair play for the pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jimmyw wrote: »
    Ford, Toyota, Nissan etc, hardly going to set the heart racing:), but it would have been an absolute crime and a shame to scrap that car, glad you didn't because its really immaculate.Well done.Fair play for the pics.

+1. I don't care what badge that car wears, it looks great, and would be a crime to wreck it. For 200 you have the bargain of a lifetime, tbh, and if you are half as good as your Grandad at minding it, you're laughin.' The ultimate Bangernomics car. FREE car, cheap fix AND immaculate ! :D

Win-Win-Win all day, methinks !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement