Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grandparents old car - What would you do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

jeez, that is a classic grandparents find... a classic for some, a banger for others..

my 92 year old granny still drives her immaculate 1987 beige nissan sentra (sunny, i think), in south africa.. matching Venetian blind in the back window as well.

unfortunately my dad has a 2010 skoda fabia, which i dont think my kids will appreciate as a classic, even when he pops off..

just keep the car. As a second car, learner car for your kids, etc, it's worth more to you than anyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Well done on saving it, that model Primera is not a common sight anymore, especially in such original condition. My brother briefly had a 2.0 SLX in 1994, great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Was there a post(s) deleted on here? I got a post in my email, but its not here:confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Great car, great news that you only need a few minor things to put it on the road. €200 wouldn't go far on a modern car with diagnostics etc !

Post more photos, interior, engine etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 massey168

Carson10 wrote: »
    Would be nice to keep it as family history, as the day my grandparents got it, it was also my communion and they drove me to the church in it as proud as.

Wow, just wow. Thats a classic car deam right there. What I would not give to own the new car that drove me to my first commuinion 30+ years ago. No amount of money could ever buy a memory and story like that, you've got to preserve that car if you can, for as long as you can. For you, it's actually a personal time machine and direct link to that never to be repeated past. I've seen the photos, she's a nice origional well kept car, a real beauty. Best of luck with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jimmyw wrote: »
    Was there a post(s) deleted on here?

Yes there was. A user posted a post and then deleted it.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Here are some more pictures of the car and also the interior that you have asked for.
    Work so far:
    Bumper restore - black to black
    Inside Valet
    Exterior Polish
    New Number Plates. The Orig ones were a bit faded and the one on the front had seen 20 years of parking dungs so i decided to get two fresh plates. I found some of the old tax and NCT disks in the glovebox and think the older ones are in a folder in my Grans house.

More work to be done..
    131.jpg
    122.jpg
    117.jpg
    116.jpg
    115.jpg
    114.jpg
    106.jpg
    113.jpg
    083.jpg
    073.jpg
    142.jpg
    094.jpg
    071.jpg

Wow! what a superb condition, any chance of an engine pic?

Absolutely amazing car, the tax disc photo is classic!

I know if I owned that car that money could not buy the smile I would have driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Excellent stuff. Keep an eye out for Primeras of a similar age and i bet it will be ages before you come across one. Cars like this will be rarer than Cortinas in years to come.

I see it has a 100,000 mile warranty so you are good for another 20,000 miles.
    I wonder would a Nissan dealer still honour it!

yourpics wrote: »
    I see it has a 100,000 mile warranty so you are good for another 20,000 miles.
    I wonder would a Nissan dealer still honour it!

LOL.. The Nissan Garage that my grandparents bought it in closed down last month in Sligo. It still has the original mudflaps on it :) wouldnt mind calling over to the garage and asking if they have any old stickers, tax disc holders from the 90's era. The Garage owner only lives next door to the premises. As long as i have the car, its going to be kept original.

yourpics wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing car, the tax disc photo is classic!

Thats only the tax discs for the last 10 Years. I know the rest of the tax discs from new are in my Grans house in a folder somewhere. My grandad kept them in a photo album along with the insurance discs and stuff. Il get them soon. Just have to call over for more Tea:)

Excellent stuff. Keep an eye out for Primeras of a similar age and i bet it will be ages before you come across one. Cars like this will be rarer than Cortinas in years to come.

Thank you. have to say iam enjoying the feedback. Its making me keep the car. The rest of the family are puzzled as to why i want 'that old thing'. Havent seen any of these primeras around sligo in a while. I would say most of them were scrapped. I think the boot spoiler was the equivalent of having sat nav..LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭squonk

Well done OP! I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I certainly haven't seen on in such good condition. The car is a great colour too. I saw an 88 Bluebird a few months ago outside a neighbour's house. It was really impressive to see as it was in good nick. Yours is the exact same, just very impressive to see. Keep up the good work! These are real rarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is that an aftermarket manual choke?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is that an aftermarket manual choke?

Yes that choke was fitted to the car a few years ago as it kept cutting out at low revs. Mainly for safety cos my gran was nearly 90 driving the car and it never warmed up or went over 30 miles an hour. so what happened was when she was driving it, stopping at lights or in town etc, it would cut out, and then it the engine would flood cos it kept getting restarted. Id say the main reason was it never got a good run. about 500 miles a year in the last 10 years.

Well lads, just an update on the Primera as i was gratefull for your earlier comments.

The car is now on the road: NCT'd 05/13 Taxed: 07/12 Insured: 04/13..I was lucky to get the car Insured with FBD as a second car classic Insurance (20yr old Car). I had to join the IVS Irish Vintage Society E25. Heres the best bit, the cheap classic insurance was E133, i had a voucher for FBD for E35 so i got the car insured for a full year for E98euro, yes 98 euro :D

The overall spend on taking the car from my grans garage to on the road was about E550 all in

NCT 55
    Retest 28
    Repairs 70
    2 new front tyres 120
    Tax 135
    Insurance 98
    W/Blades 20

My gran was delighted to see me taking the car and i now keep it in the Garage at home taking it out for a spin about twice a week.

I will prob put it up for Sale in a month on Donedeal as being really honest it does nothing for me. Id have preferred if it was a 92 Golf or Fiesta. If i sell it, family history aside, i will have been happy to know i saved it from being scrapped put up a few 100 miles on it.

Any1 no how much i would sell it for or would there be any interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Fair play to you you started something and saw it through to the finish,good one for your CV.

You might be better to hang on until terenure show in June or July(or similar Local Show to get a premium for it rather than deal with a load of muppets on Donedeal offering a 100 euro for it. Maybe try a few nissan Dealers with it first.

• Advertisement

A 92 primera V a 92 Golf or Fiesta, no contest!!
    Primera FTW hands down!
    Well done on getting it sorted. It would be a pity to sell it though I reckon.

A 92 primera V a 92 Golf or Fiesta, no contest!!
    Primera FTW hands down!
    Well done on getting it sorted. It would be a pity to sell it though I reckon.

I wouldnt sell it only that, my restlessness means i couldnt leave a car in the garage and not use it. At the moment i drive my own car a Golf, and drive my mum and dads jeeps as well so i dont have a use for the primera.

I bought a vintage 1971 Beetle in 2010 and sold it a year later May 2011.

If i was to sell the primera what price would it be worth now taxed and tested etc..1 owner all service history, old discs etc....?

Bigus wrote: »
    Fair play to you you started something and saw it through to the finish,good one for your CV.

You might be better to hang on until terenure show in June or July(or similar Local Show to get a premium for it rather than deal with a load of muppets on Donedeal offering a 100 euro for it. Maybe try a few nissan Dealers with it first.

Thats true. If i dont sell it by July il just tax it again for another 3 months.

Suppose there is 2 types of people who would buy it

1: some1 looking for a cheap run about for a few months and then trash it.

2: Some1 with an interest who would keep it original and use it for a few years.

It was impossible to get a quote for insurance other than classic. Quinn and others like Hibernian were quoting 1500. FBD were brilliant to deal with for classic Ins. Maybe i was lucky that i had a policy on a beetle with them 2 years ago

Hard to put a value on it. To most people because of its age it's just an old car. Would be a pity to see it get used as a daily driver and ran into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Start with the supplying dealer and see will he buy it or store it free for you and put a bit of tax on it every summer.

If selling
    Ask 1650 for it because of history and drop from there, you never know somebody might want one for sentiment al reasons

Bigus wrote: »
    Start with the supplying dealer and see will he buy it or store it free for you and put a bit of tax on it every summer.

If selling
    Ask 1650 for it because of history and drop from there, you never know somebody might want one for sentiment al reasons

That mite be a good starting price.Thank you. The Nissan garage where it was bought closed down about 4 months ago. It was a small Nissan Garage located outside sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

If you can keep it in a garage I'd keep it. You'll get very little for it unfortunately and it will probably be run to rags. A car doesn't need to be driven twice a week to keep it good. A good long drive every now and again would do the trick.

Well done for saving it btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭squonk

I've been following this thread since you started it OP and I was delighted to see you got the car going considering it had sentimental value to you. I'm sad to see yo're contemplating selling it. there aren't many of those cars around now and they'll only get rarer. I'd suggest you double think before you decide to get rid of it. Listen to the last poster. You could take it out a few times a year for a good run. Once it's gone, it's gone and you won't get it back and you'll only have the memories. Similarly, it'll be good if it goes to a good home but the chances of it going to a muppet are far higher.

I was out for a walk a few months ago and saw a lovely 88 Bluebird in excellent condition. It really stood out and was a fantastic thing to see. This is what you've got now, a well kept car that won't cost a lot to keep going. Think twice before you sell.

Advertisement