Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call the Midwife

• 15-01-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching the new program on BBC 1 - Call the midwife? Turned on just as it was starting.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Currently watching it too right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Shouldn't have left having dinner so late.:)

neemish wrote: »
    Shouldn't have left having dinner so late.:)

Me too - was eating mine at the first birth! :D
    With every mouthful, there was a lot of screaming lol

lol. Mine is sittting half eaten. And the lovely desert i had planned will be left.

Interesting series though....

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Miranda Hart is in it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Am hooked already!

Sensibly having dinner now so that I can enjoy episode two later one!

Looking forward to it already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yep, caught this during the week and really enjoyed it. I love most BBC dramas so am looking forward to tonight. It's followed by Birdsong too, so should be a good evening's viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

This is brilliant, bloody bawling for last 10mins:confused:

I love Miranda Hart anyway, think she s brilliant. I always think she could be Dougal (from Fr Ted) s sister:pac::pac:

Yep, caught this during the week and really enjoyed it. I love most BBC dramas so am looking forward to tonight. It's followed by Birdsong too, so should be a good evening's viewing!

Ended up missing it in the end. Didnt think my flatmate would appreciate the gore!

Where did you watch it last week? Will have to go in search of tonights ep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just found this thread. Absolutely love the programme. Hope they dont make one series and then scrap it!! Miranda Hart is fantastic - definitely a new string to her bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

neemish wrote: »
    Anyone watching the new program on BBC 1 - Call the midwife? Turned on just as it was starting.
    Its opening episode last week attracted eight million viewers, a bigger audience than the final episode of the BBC hit Sherlock, which pulled in 7.9 million. It also comfortably beat ITV's rival offering, Dancing on Ice..

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/midwives-deliver-ratings-that-put-sherlock-to-shame-6293223.html

Dovies wrote: »
    Miranda Hart is fantastic - definitely a new string to her bow.
    Isn't she?! Without doubt my favourite character. So hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's very good

I love the nun who speaks in verse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

J Hope they dont make one series and then scrap it!!.

The BBC has commissioned a second series of hit Sunday night drama Call the Midwife, which stars Jenny Agutter, Miranda Hart and Pam Ferris, after airing just two episodes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jan/23/bbc-call-the-midwife

Danny Cohen, the BBC1 controller, has commissioned independent producer Neal Street to make a second series of the drama to air in 2013.
    The next series of the drama, which is penned by Cranford and Upstairs Downstairs writer Heidi Thomas, will comprise eight episodes.

"Call the Midwife has had a huge impact with audiences," said Cohen. "It's a very high-quality drama series from a brilliant team. It manages to be both hard-hitting and emotional, gritty and warm."

The BBC said the consolidated figures for the opening instalment – which includes so-called "timeshift" viewing on personal video recorders such as Sky+ in the seven days after first transmission – lifted its audience to 9.8 million, a record for a launch episode of a BBC1 drama.

"Call the Midwife is a totally original mix of comedy, tears, babies and nuns and it is fantastic to see this distinctive piece of British drama win such high praise and ratings," said Ben Stephenson, controller of BBC drama commissioning.

Yay!

Not at all surprised. Got to watch last nights episode and it was just brilliant. Hope they continue as they have started

brian_t wrote: »
    Danny Cohen, the BBC1 controller, has commissioned independent producer Neal Street to make a second series of the drama to air in 2013.

There are 4 more episodes left and then we have to wait a year for the second series!! :confused::(:(

There are 4 more episodes left and then we have to wait a year for the second series!! :confused::(:(
    Well, it's only just been commissioned! It has yet to be written, cast, filmed, edited... so really how could they conceivably do it in much less time?

Well, it's only just been commissioned! It has yet to be written, cast, filmed, edited... so really how could they conceivably do it in much less time?

I know but I want it now!! lol :(
    no patience me!

Watch other things in the meantime :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Watched the end of it there the last time it was on seems like a good drama. Might watch the next episode fully next time.

Great episode last night. Funny and sad at the same time. :)

Loving this show - and the fact that its based on truth makes it also a part history education.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Such a sad episode. When that man accepted the black child - wow and the old soldier dying...tears in my eyes. Really good drama.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Very good episodes, yet sad but good and funny too. Love to see how the story unfolds despite watching Birdsong after, anyone any take on that drama though only for two episodes?

Episode 4 was a heart-breaker.
    The acting by all involved is absolutely brilliant.
    Reception

A second series of Call the Midwife has been commissioned after the drama's opening episode attracted nearly 10 million viewers. The second episode increased its audience to 10.47 million, while the third continued the climb to 10.66.
    "Call the Midwife... manages to be both hard-hitting and emotional, gritty and warm" said BBC One controller Danny Cohen. "I am already looking forward to the second series."
    The drama is based on the best-selling memoirs of the late Jennifer Worth and the second series is expected to air in mid 2013. The second series will comprise 8 episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_the_Midwife

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I read the book last week that it's based on and was a bit disappointed,the stories are almost identical,as soon as the baby was taken last week i knew who had her and the back story etc. I'll still keep watching though as there as some slight changes. The second series should be better as they will have to make up completely new stories :)

angelll wrote: »
    I read the book last week that it's based on and was a bit disappointed,the stories are almost identical,as soon as the baby was taken last week i knew who had her and the back story etc. I'll still keep watching though as there as some slight changes. The second series should be better as they will have to make up completely new stories :)

The person (now deceased I think) that wrote the original book also wrote more afterwards.
    The BBC might stick with those other books. We will have to wait and see.

I think its better that they stick as close to the original book as possible.
    Its certainly a better historic glimpse into a recent past for its efforts to stay true to the written word.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

She did indeed write a trilogy but the other two books aren't about midwifery.

• Advertisement

angelll wrote: »
    She did indeed write a trilogy but the other two books aren't about midwifery.

Aaa right. Cheers.

Advertisement