Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call the Midwife

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC have commissioned a Season 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Sorry if I missed it, but very surprised we don't have a Call the Midwife thread.

I am absolutely hooked on this programme, and think it is genuinely one of the best programmes ever made, and certainly one of the best on tv at the moment .

The acting is superb, and finding this series (5) particularly good, as it's covering some really hart-hitting topics, particularly the topic of thalidomide, but also the changes in society more generally. It wasn't all that long ago, yet was such a different time.

Are there many others watching it, and what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭squonk

Wasn't Miranda Hart in it for a while at least? I'd watch it if she was in it more though I suspect she's not funny in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Yeah she was in maybe s3&4, only a little bit in the last one and not at all this season. I like it, have to catch up on the last two of this season

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Yes, I'm a big fan of CTM, being watching it since series 1, and have to agree that this particular series is superb, the storylines are great, very emotive and the acting from all involved is just brilliant. The time and place are so well captured.

Re Miranda Hart, yep she was in the first few series, and played Chummy, a really wonderful character .

I didn't watch the earlier series until I saw them on netflix when I got it last year, and binge watched them. It can be unusual to see a series get better and better as it goes on, but definitely the case with CTM, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭squonk

I caught snippets on RTE from time to time. It looks good alright. I might sit downa nd watch it all at some stage. I need my retirement or some unemployment to come around at this stage there are so many shows in that category!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My wife loves it but always gives out that the doctor and his wife are appalling actors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really enjoy Call the Midwife. I have been watching it since the start and it is especially good this series. However Sundays episode freaked me out as I'm 5 mths pregnant and I nearly passed out when the young girl was loosing all the blood and her mother pulled out part of her womb!

It's usually a more relaxing Sunday night programme! I have read the books that the programme is based on and they are really good.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    I really enjoy Call the Midwife. I have been watching it since the start and it is especially good this series. However Sundays episode freaked me out as I'm 5 mths pregnant and I nearly passed out when the young girl was loosing all the blood and her mother pulled out part of her womb!

It's usually a more relaxing Sunday night programme! I have read the books that the programme is based on and they are really good.

Can completely understand that appledrop. That bit was very hard to watch, even without being pregnant .

It really puts into perspective though how far we've come on in society in a relatively short time, regarding teenage pregnancies / unmarried mothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I recorded last weeks and just watched it now. Hit me like a ton of bricks and hear I am bawling crying!!!! (The one where the young nun is attacked and her anger and her upset, and omg there I am off again)

amdublin wrote: »
    I recorded last weeks and just watched it now. Hit me like a ton of bricks and hear I am bawling crying!!!! (The one where the young nun is attacked and her anger and her upset, and omg there I am off again)

Each week the Call the Midwife facebook page has a discussion thread after the show, and a lot of people there also say they cry at it .

In my opinion, this shows quite how good the acting is, and how real the actors are portrayed.

Who's watching?!

Who's watching?!

Me, of course! Look forward to it every week. Watch most programmes on catchup but always try to watch CTM live :D

It's an(other) emotional one again tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'be been watching it since season one. My wife really likes it, but I missed last week's one - thankfully going by the above.

I preferred the first 4 seasons. This season seems to have an issue of the week rather a story arc.

The old nun is gas, thought we were going to lose her last season. Got a bit misty eyed for that episode.

Ah it's a great piece of television!

oh the bould brylcream fella!

Every week I wish it wasn't over.

Dying for next week already!

oh the bould brylcream fella!

He sure likes his nurses. Is it the uniform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah back to it's best tonight without scaring the life out if me! Delighted Sr. Angelina is back. Where would we be without her smart comments.

Oh no, next week is the season finale :(

'Call The Midwife': 11 Reasons The BBC One Drama Is The Best Show On TV

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/03/03/call-the-midwife-bbc-one-drama-best-show_n_9373086.html

Oooh, could see that coming with Sr Evanglina :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'm watching it, and I cried this evening - again. At the Thalidomide (Distaval) issue, the young mother describing how people looked at her baby and the little girl being so happy and smiley. Tragic.

But a brilliant programme IMO. The doctor realizing that he may have been unwittingly responsible for the deformed babies being born was well done I thought.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Goodness, how sad. I didn't see it coming, must be said.

I did :(

Captured incredibly well. It's an amazing program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Goodness, how sad. I didn't see it coming, must be said.

I did, a bit - but something I also thought was an interesting detail was the other nuns' heartbreak at the idea that a post mortem would harm her in the afterlife. I don't know when Christians stopped believing that, but it's probably correct that it was after Vatican 2.n

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Well I just couldn't imagine her dying, given how tough she's always been, even with the stroke and dead hand. Kinda makes sense in retrospect, but still.

Poor Dr Turner. Can't even imagine how he must be feeling.

• Advertisement

Nurse Crane and Nurse Mount...if they could only be cloned :o

I didn't know that the thalidomide babies (scandal) was related to a sedative/tablet for anxiety. I thought it was only the medication thalidomide which was a tablet for anti nausea during pregnancy.

Oh no poor Ruby!!!!! :eek:

Oh no and now poor Trixie. I'm bawling here*

*But sure what's new on a Sunday night

I didn't know that the thalidomide babies (scandal) was related to a sedative/tablet for anxiety. I thought it was only the medication thalidomide which was a tablet for anti nausea during pregnancy.

Same drug, different name for different uses.

Where's Chummy?? I would have thought she'd be back for the funeral.

Oh I hope they give Trixie a great fella at Christmas!

Said the same thing when her hubby showed up.

Apparently Miranda Hart was too busy to appear in this series, but hasn't ruled out a future return http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3320291/Miranda-Hart-s-Chummy-won-t-appear-series-five-Call-Midwife.html

• Advertisement

It did feel weird, the absence of Chummy at the funeral. Like fair enough if Hart is too busy for it, but they did say in the story she was still around, so it felt odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

volchitsa wrote: »
    I did, a bit - but something I also thought was an interesting detail was the other nuns' heartbreak at the idea that a post mortem would harm her in the afterlife. I don't know when Christians stopped believing that, but it's probably correct that it was after Vatican 2.n

Vatican council 2 rulings don't apply to Anglican nuns though.

Yay, Miranda Hart returning to Call the Midwife http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35976883

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

Anyone watching the new series? I'm terrified for patsy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I expect they might have something nasty planned for that miserable head nun. Reinstate Sr. Julian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

They showed a soft side to her last week, when she was kind to the little boy.

Maybe she's one of those 'bark is worse that her bite' types. Nurse Crane was a bit of a dragon when she arrived, and now she's the salt of the earth.

Glad to see Trixie will be back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

I wouldn't say mother nun will last long. There could be a mutiny soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just watched last night's episode. Each series gets better imo. Trixie is back next week ðŸ˜

They're really trying hard to make sister ursula unlikeable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement