Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Seems all my calculating last week was a complete waste of time. Cheers connacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair to English teams, they are fighting a salary cap.

Feels good having three through though. No one can say it was easy either. I feel all three could win it too. I almost think Clermont at home in the quarters would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

greendom wrote: »
    Do you think that is because that competition is designed with the H Cup in mind. It's complimentary whearas the English and French leagues are competing against it ?

Some of it just the way it turned out really. There's an element of luck and happenstance to it. But the rabo teams certainly gear everything around the HEC alright.

Clermont at home in the knockouts is a different kettle of fish altogether to Clermont at home in the pool stages as leinster discovered in 2010

greendom wrote: »
    Do you think that is because that competition is designed with the H Cup in mind. It's complimentary whearas the English and French leagues are competing against it ?

Cool question, and probably right to some extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭OldRio

The HC gets better and better.
    3 Irish teams through to the knockout.
    Seems the Pro12 league has delivered, so far.
    No doubt the usual suspects over the water will offer excuses (see some earlier posts) but this is a fine achievement for the Irish teams.
    Lets hope these players continue their good form for the Ireland team (if selected, but thats another story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Highlights of Gloucester-Toulouse. Some game

http://youtu.be/jqsH92UfhY0

How horribly bad did that winger get caught out?! ridiculous.

Beautiful hands for second french try though.

Gloucester's third is sweet too

Look at the numbers Toulouse get to the ruck @ 7:40

some serious rugby played in that game.

Yeah Matanavou was shocking for the first and last Gloucester tries.

Freddie Burns is electric, love watching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

shuffol wrote: »
    Yeah Matanavou was shocking for the first and last Gloucester tries.

Freddie Burns is electric, love watching him.

Better option at 10 than Hodgson for England ya reckon? I haven't seen much of Burns I'll admit. But Hodgson is very hit and miss I feel.

• Advertisement

Freddie Burns is the definition of hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sky just did a class Ulster montage to a Coldplay song. Probably the only time Coldplay has ever been inspirational.

Freddie Burns is the definition of hit and miss

He is but he's still very young, only 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Who will take the 8th place if Ulster win? (presuming Cardiff or Edinburgh get 7th)
    Harlequins are on 17 and leicester, clermont and Northampton can all get there.

Edit- the winner of ospreys/Biarritz can get to 18 but presuming the winner gets to 17 which of these teams is in line to get 8th?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

KevinK wrote: »
    Who will take the 8th place if Ulster win? (presuming Cardiff or Edinburgh get 7th)
    Harlequins are on 17 and leicester, clermont and Northampton can all get there.

Edit- the winner of ospreys/Biarritz can get to 18 but presuming the winner gets to 17 which of these teams is in line to get 8th?
    Whoever has the most tries. At the moment Clermont has a massive advantage in terms of tries scored (12 last week against Aironi) so if they ended up on 17 with Ulster winning they would go through (assuming Biarritz/Ospreys don't get a TBP)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tigers trailing 6-3 at the moment

No tries so far in Clermont Ulster big ask for Clermont to get a bp if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leicester 9-6 Aironi, HT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Clermont win.

Where does that leave things?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Clermont win.

Where does that leave things?

Ulster will most likely be 8th seeds I think Clermont will finish as 4th seeds, provided Munster don't get LBP. Its very likely that if Munster lose that they'll play Clermont either way. They'll be both 4th and 5th seeds

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Munster Clermont if Munster lose. Home if LBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Also if you knew anything look at the team Montpellier are putting out against Leinster. Its there strongest 15 or as close as possible

Leinster 25 Montpellier 3

strongest team score 3 pts in 80mins...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

OldRio wrote: »
    The HC gets better and better.
    3 Irish teams through to the knockout.
    Seems the Pro12 league has delivered, so far.
    No doubt the usual suspects over the water will offer excuses (see some earlier posts) but this is a fine achievement for the Irish teams.
    Lets hope these players continue their good form for the Ireland team (if selected, but thats another story)
    pro 12 in general is really coming out on top this year
    looks like 5/8 quarter finalists will be pro 12 (1 english, 2 french) and 3 will have home quarter finals too. (backing edinburgh and cardiff) that also means munster v ulster and at least one irish semi finalist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

1-Munster v Ulster
    2-Leinster v Edinburgh
    3-Sarries v Toulouse
    4-Cardiff v Clermont

not sure if anyody would have predicted those 1/4 finals

wonder what way the semi draw will go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I wonder if Munster would prefer the number 2 seed to the number 1. No. 1 should mean Ulster for them, who they typically play poor against, rather than Cardiff/Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

matthew8 wrote: »
    I wonder if Munster would prefer the number 2 seed to the number 1. No. 1 should mean Ulster for them, who they typically play poor against, rather than Cardiff/Edinburgh.
    Yeah I wouldn't say Leinster will be too bothered to be second seeds, they'll have an easy time against Edinburgh at home.

Munster v Ulster
    Leinster v Edin
    Sarries v Toulouse
    Cardiff v Clermont

Ulster, Leinster, Sarries and Clermont for semis I feel, although there is 3 very intriguing games there potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Munster v Ulster
    Leinster v Edin
    Sarries v Toulouse
    Cardiff v Clermont

Ulster, Leinster, Sarries and Clermont for semis I feel, although there is 3 very intriguing games there potentially.

Keep writing Munster off. We love it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Still think Embra will mess up tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

What would that mean for Leinster if Edinburgh lose tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

ktulu123 wrote: »
    What would that mean for Leinster if Edinburgh lose tomorrow?
    they play ulster, as they will be best runners up. either way we are now guaranteed one irish semi finalist i think

Advertisement