Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

robindch wrote: »
    New Gingrich, the man who pledged not to run any negative ads, runs a negative ad about Mitt Romney, showing him speaking French, no less.

I find is pretty shocking that the fact he speaks French is actually being held against him.
    A new low in American politics. Let's celebrate ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..it reminds me of the "whatcha readin' for?" line that Bill Hicks used in one of his routines..he would have had a field day with this buch of morons...

daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Nick Clegg got the same treatment from some of the British press:
    the mail wrote:
    Despite his Anglo-Saxon name, Nick Clegg is by blood the least British leader of a British political party, the son of a Dutch mother and a half-Russian merchant banker father.

wait till they hear that William of Orange was a gay Dutchman.

Nick Clegg got the same treatment from some of the British press:
    the mail wrote:
    Despite his Anglo-Saxon name, Nick Clegg is by blood the least British leader of a British political party, the son of a Dutch mother and a half-Russian merchant banker father.

wait till they hear that William of Orange was a gay Dutchman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyone remember Freedom Fries? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That was probably my favourite part of the whole "how much can America embarrass itself in front of the grown ups" debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I find is pretty shocking that the fact he speaks French is actually being held against him.

ever been to france , they have a remarkabley low percentage of people who can speak english compared to thier neighbours in germany , netherlands etc , not being able to speak english is often seen as a badge of honour in la france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

irishh_bob wrote: »
    ever been to france , they have a remarkabley low percentage of people who can speak english compared to thier neighbours in germany , netherlands etc , not being able to speak english is often seen as a badge of honour in la france

They just say they can't speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

36% of France speaks English, which puts them ahead of a sizeable chunk of Europe, per capita.

In any case, can you seriously imagine a French leader's ability to speak a second language (which is really what this is about) being used against him in a smear campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I really hope Newt Gingrich stays in the race for a while yet, who knows to
    what depths he'll sink to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

36% of France speaks English, which puts them ahead of a sizeable chunk of Europe, per capita.

In any case, can you seriously imagine a French leader's ability to speak a second language (which is really what this is about) being used against him in a smear campaign?

sarkozy cant speak english or at least not well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Sarkozy speaks both English and German fluently/// Also he knows Hungarian (he says he dosen't but his father did teach him)

Not really. Some of the elite academics get sniffy about overuse of English words in French, but in general English is seen as trendy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My husband is French, he has perfect English.
    All his French friends also have fantastic English and though I can speak a smattering of French, we converse in English because they have such a great grasp of the English language.
    Even his mother has attempted to learn English.
    His French cousin now lives in Boston, so he and his 75 year old mother have perfect English.
    My sister lives in France, so I have been going to France on a yearly basis for 15 years now and most of the people I encounter always make an attempt to talk to me in English so they can practice.

The French as a nation, do not want to loose their language. I understand that. It's who they are and why should they have to?
    That does not mean they do not speak other languages, from my personal experience, an awful lot of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

In a 2007 interview, Romney essentially laughed off the concern of Fox
    News' Chris Wallace, who asked, "what were you thinking?" But Maddow
    thought the story could be very dangerous for the GOP frontrunner as he
    tries to sew up his party's nomination and defeat President Obama.

She [Maddow] noted that there are now anti-Romney websites purporting
    to be from dogs popping up all over the place, and that the new verb "to
    Romney" (meaning "to defecate in terror") is making its way into the lexicon.
    link

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Meanwhile, in Soviet Russia:

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Well if they can make something out of Romney speaking French, Huntsman had no chance whatsoever. He seems to have been the most reasonable candidate imo. Pity reasonable doesn't mean electable in the states.

Colbert's Super PAC put out their first ad recently.

Jesus yous are all miles behind. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

[RE: Abortion]
    "China[...] is destined for the ash heap of history unless it changes it's values"

Isn't that the country that owns like 10% (3rd largest stake) of the USA?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Beruthiel wrote: »

It's hardly surprising. American Europhobia is alive and well, but crucially, it seems to go relatively unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Both Perry and Bachmann have now dropped out, despite both saying God had told them to run. This.... doesn't... make sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like how they only labelled Santorum as "Christian conservative", as if the others weren't also batsh*t crazy regarding religion.

I hope Colbert runs, would be most likely to cost Obama votes and make it all interesting.

amacachi wrote: »
    I hope Colbert runs, would be most likely to cost Obama votes and make it all interesting.
    That's what happened when the Ross Perot -- anybody remember him? -- ran in 1992 and took enough votes from Bush the Elder to allow Clinton to win the election.

PR ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

gawker wrote: »
    Both Perry and Bachmann have now dropped out, despite both saying God had told them to run. This.... doesn't... make sense!

God told them to run so that the intense scrutiny and competition would make the eventual winner stronger.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    [...] competition would make the eventual winner stronger.
    Bbbbbbbbut that's evolution -- in the Republican Party? :eek:

Advertisement