Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In spite of these austere time lets give the Queen a new yacht

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The french have a monarchy?:eek:

Their presidential system usually give the appearance of a monarchy. The various presidents usually behave as if they are monarchs. Just like the Russians always and still do have Czars.

But with a little hope and the protests perhaps Russia at least may be changing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

EggsAckley wrote: »
    Michael Grove, the UK Education Secretary, thinks it would be a spiffing idea to celebrate Liz's Diamond jubilee by buying her a big, pimped out yacht, cost to the British Tax Payer-Str60m:

Buy her this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq4r50KxsB2Raw6eNvizxe4dOx-0DUe8o5exq9bXJCydznvafS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The french have a monarchy?:eek:

Not since they got the chop.

gatecrash wrote: »

LOL
    :D:D Got a giggle out of that.
    Education Secretary Michael Gove has launched an ambitious attempt to troll the entire UK by suggesting that taxpayers buy the Queen a new yacht to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee.
    Mr Gove is believed to have spent the morning sat in his office reading Twitter and the comments section of the Guardian, while miming a fisherman reeling in his catch.
    The nationwide trolling attempt was initiated in a letter that was sent to Jeremy Hunt, the culture secretary and deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, in which Mr Gove suggested that spending at least £60m on a new royal yacht would be sure to lift the country’s spirits.
    The education secretary writes: “At a time when the government launches attack after attack on the poor, sick and disabled, or what we like to call scroungers, I think it would be a gesture of goodwill to give one of our biggest scroungers a nice big boat.”
    Queen’s New Yacht

The public have reacted with Caps Lock fury to the letter, despite the only logical explanation for its contents being that Mr Gove is on an epic wind-up.
    Hospitals have already reported an influx of Twitter users who have been admitted to A&E with Exclamation mark keys stuck to their fingers and foreheads.
    Tom Watson, the Labour party vice-chairman, hit out at Mr Gove’s suggestions, but said it might be possible to arrange some form of compromise that will suit all parties.
    “There’s a luxury cruise ship currently sitting off the coast of western Italy that’s free to collect,” he revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure storm in china tea cup, how many billions have the Irish government thrown at bad banks?

bwatson wrote: »
    You would take the man who runs around Derry in a balaclava whilst wielding a machine gun (more than likely one of his lesser crimes) over one of the most most respected heads of state in the world?

Tell me, what is it you so despise about what she stands for? As the head of state of a constitutional monarchy she has never expressed political opinion. She brings stability to the United Kingdom, she ensures that politicians never have ultimate power, she serves and represents her people with dignity and grace across the globe, and she is hugely popular both at home and abroad for it.

I cannot wait for the Jubilee events. Just like the royal wedding and the Olympics we will see further celebrations of Britain's glorious past and modern successes.

I've just gained three stone reading all that sugary syrupness.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've just gained three stone reading all that sugary syrupness.:(

Shock horror - we disagree on such an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

What has this to do with us?

Regardless, it's a disgusting waste anyway. Let the c[SIZE="2"]u[/SIZE]nt buy it herself.

she's your queen too .......

:-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

mike65 wrote: »
    Sure storm in china tea cup, how many billions have the Irish government thrown at bad banks?

Theres an argument to whataboutary if ever there was one. Both can be bad.

I expect - just saying, like - that if this was an Irish Yacht for the President to swan about it, your opinion would differ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

summerskin wrote: »
    yep, but they'll also get free healthcare and all the other benefits of living in the UK.

It's not free.
    You would take the man who runs around Derry in a balaclava whilst wielding a machine gun (more than likely one of his lesser crimes) over one of the most most respected heads of state in the world?

It was your side who had all the guns in the late 60's early 70's and threatened to use them to thwart the democratic wishes of Catholics - so don't even go there.
    Tell me, what is it you so despise about what she stands for?

What does she stand for except an archaic system of privilege by birth. It's ****ing retarded what she stands for. What's even more retarded are the morons who think it's a good idea that Lizzy Windsor is somehow special. She isn't. She shits in the toilet like the rest of us.
    She brings stability to the United Kingdom,

WFT? No she doesn't.
    I cannot wait for the Jubilee events.

Ugh...
    Just like the royal wedding and the Olympics we will see further celebrations of Britain's glorious past and modern successes.

A past drenched in blood and misery for millions of people who's experience of Britain was one of staring down the barrel of a gun.

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kim_Il_Jong

She shits in the toilet like the rest of us.

ahem....that'll be golden toilet sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It's not affecting ireland so what#s the whinging about...

you've enough to worry about here never mind what Britain are doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

44leto wrote: »
    If I was British I would resent this, this is not the time for extravagance for any public official. Here Enda wont even allow his ministers to use the government jet.

Besides if she wants a boat she has the dosh, if she wanted a cruise ship she would still have the dosh. Its a very wealthy institution.

That's very true.

This would cost about the same as it costs for a FAS delegation to visit NASA, minus the new hairstyles of course, it is only £60m afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

mike65 wrote: »

cowen handed over the public purse

kenny handed over the deeds

Shock horror - we disagree on such an issue.

There are probably a lot of people in the UK who would would agree with me.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the Queen had asked the Irish government for a yacht to sail down the Liffey last year she would have no doubt got it even if it cost the state 5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Isn't she a bit old for sailing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Downing Street has moved swiftly to torpedo a proposal from the education secretary, Michael Gove, that the public should donate a £60m royal yacht to the Queen as part of this year's diamond jubilee celebrations.
    David Cameron believed it would be inappropriate to spend public money on a yacht, the prime minister's official spokesman said.
    "Clearly there is a difficult economic situation, there are scarce resources, and therefore we don't think it would be an appropriate use of public money at the present time," he said.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/16/critics-cold-water-royal-yacht

No boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Britain's glorious past and modern successes.
    :D:D:D

She's a pompus asshole - just like those who defend and support her.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

This has more to do with the fact that It is Britain spending the money. Would it have been remarked upon had it been any other monarchy?

I'm no defender of monarchy but how do you know that Liz is an asshole?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Freddie59 wrote: »
    :D:D:D

She's a pompus asshole - just like those who defend and support her.:p

I don't want to come across as pompous, but it is spelt pompous.

I take it that as you clearly don't know how to spell it, you don't know its meaning either? You would describe Elizabeth II as arrogant?

What is it with the Irish and that toothy green smiley? Just say "I disagree" instead of trying to give it all the condescending nonsense before spelling an incredibly basic word incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I thought this thread was going to be about us giving her Charles Haughey's yacht...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

60 mil doesn't seem that much for a yacht.

Assuming that similar policies would apply to this as its predecessor, Britannia, it's not just a luxury cruiser. Britannia was designed to be converted to a hospital ship if required, and thus a support vessel of the Royal Navy.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Glad it was clarified that the story seems to have no basis in fact.

The Queen is a figurehead just like Irelands President is.

She cannot dictate what an English Governments policies are,get off her back,she is an old lady and as much a victim of her upbringing as anybody else.

it is time Irish people grew up and realised that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I dislike the institution but like the incumbent.

They are decommissioning the Ark Royal, they could give her that, she could even park her helicopter on it, its the perfect solution as long as charles doesn't run along the flight deck into the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

44leto wrote: »
    They are decommissioning the Ark Royal, they could give her that, she could even park her helicopter on it, its the perfect solution as long as charles doesn't run along the flight deck into the wind.

I thought the Ark Royal was already gone?

if people stop to think about it would they like to have given up their lives at age 27 as she had to when her Father died?

Would anybody like to have lived Charles life where he could not just marry the woman he loved,and his own personal feelings took second place to being next in line all his life.?

It is more like a prison sentence to be born into royalty IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't want to come across as pompous, but it is spelt pompous.

I take it that as you clearly don't know how to spell it, you don't know its meaning either? You would describe Elizabeth II as arrogant?

What is it with the Irish and that toothy green smiley? Just say "I disagree" instead of trying to give it all the condescending nonsense before spelling an incredibly basic word incorrectly.

Mod

I hear-by declare war on the speeling police. Take this as a last warning to everyone. Charter breach will = infracts/bans/beatings

Advertisement