Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh digital switch over-Irish reception questions answered

Options

Comments

@jazzy
    If preseli is causing problems for you it would be flukey as it would have to skirt across the entire wicklow mtns to south dublin.
    It might do it in a major lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Hi Folks, probably stupid question but cant see the light.
    I am receiving channels 42 and 49 regularly (all day) last couple of weeks. the channel lineup for these mux's appears to be the same as the Preseli transmitter but i cant see any signal on any of the other frequencies listed for Preseli.
    its an old rusty drunken grid, with mostly useable Arfon. Which should be replaced soon, but with what? I was hoping for Blaenp..f, but nobody seems to have any luck with that. My question really is if i had a better aerial, what should i aim for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Picking up perfect Preseli since I changed to a group B aerial, Ch45 is the only channels to drop in and out.
    Also picking up Ch39 on the back of the Preseli aerial

whizbang wrote: »
    Hi Folks, probably stupid question but cant see the light.
    I am receiving channels 42 and 49 regularly (all day) last couple of weeks. the channel lineup for these mux's appears to be the same as the Preseli transmitter but i cant see any signal on any of the other frequencies listed for Preseli.
    its an old rusty drunken grid, with mostly useable Arfon. Which should be replaced soon, but with what? I was hoping for Blaenp..f, but nobody seems to have any luck with that. My question really is if i had a better aerial, what should i aim for?
    Is it that you just noticed that you were picking these up recently or do you think that 42 and 49 were there off and on a lot of the time?
    Your aerial is vertical and one of the lowest gain you can get and half knackered as you say.
    Preseli is several degree's south of arfon and is horzontal.

A proper group B with a group B amp could be tested mounted horizontal to see what preseli is really like for you and if it's not reliable,you should at least get good arfon by remounting the aerial vertical and pointing it back to arfon.

I'm thinking the only obstacles to preseli in say greystones would be wicklow head and the high ground to the south of it.
    However,the further away from there you are it is possible that the signal can weave around them.
    Your problem then would be distance and earth curvature.

Worth a try though,see'ing as the group B will do arfon anyway.

Try the grid horizontal and bear it for preseli and see what you get as a start.
    You could also try bear it up there for Blaenplwyf as a test.

There is a high pressure at the moment so conditions are not ideal as these signals will come in at times regardless of what you do due to there being a lift of signals in the athmosphere with this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

a few questions for receiving UK terrestrial reception - I'm in Greystones, near to the coast but not elevated:

1. What transmitter should I point the antenna at? Presili or Afron?

2. What size anteanna should I use? (Aldi have some small antennas available but I reckon they'll be too small)

3. Do I need a wideband amp thingy to get the signal?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

You need a group B unix 52 at least and preferably a unix 100 and a group B masthead amp and power supply unit and ct100 cable.
    This is to be vertically polarised pointed at arfon.
    You will need a 15ft pole and fixings for your chimney,a fairly strong pole.

The unix and amp should be all you need as it should also pick up the greystones saorview transmitter from stray signal coming in via the side or the back of the aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A unix 100 is massive and how much would it cost? A 15ft pole with such a large aerial on top would put quite a strain on a chimney in very windy conditions. I remember an installer mentioning to my father about 15 years ago that anything over 10ft would need to have guy wires used aswell. Freesat would be handier than going down that road.

We have them on bungalow chimneys down here tbc for years without a problem.
    A 15ft pole is needed to hold their weight without stays,they've survived hurricane like storms over the years.
    The 15ft pole would be the max used without stays around here and there are lots of them.
    In fact the road beside me has six or seven of them all pointed to arfon :)

Doctors differ I suppose.

The cost is about 50 or 60 euros

Fair enough. I would have thought Arfon had better coverage in south Wicklow than Kilkeel has in Drogheda and most people in Drogheda get by with a grid aerial and a 6 or 10ft pole. Does Arfon work well on grid aerials or even contract Group Bs along the coast? I have read mixed reports in this thread.

It's inclined to cut out on grids sometimes.
    Contracts wouldn't work well at all.
    Unix 52's would work most of the time if not all of the time except with fog when theres sure to be cut outs.
    I'm recommending the 100's because they are better obviously and we're used to them here and of course it's a case of making reception as bullet proof as possible,ie going that extra mile.
    I always recommend having freesat as well [we do] as the cast iron back up.
    The aerial is brilliant and easy for multi room.We have preseli BBC1hd and itv1 hd in all rooms.B and B'ers love the choice.

The unix 100's locally here would be legacy ones from analogue where sucessfull attempts were made to limit the grain in arfon analogue.
    The road I mentioned has no line of sight to the sea just a mile away so they were essential.

Grids were very acceptable for most with analogue as most didn't mind heavy grain.
    When I was using arfon,I went for twin unix 100 equivalents which brought in incredibly clear arfon analogue.

We of course switched them over to presely a few months before dso there and discovered beautifull preseli analogue from them but they are on a 45 foot pole with stays as we needed to up and over a small hill for a sea view.
    At chimney height we had awfull co channel from cairn hill on preseli so hence went with the twins on arfon.
    We only discovered the lack of cairn hill co channel up at 70ft [roof height plus mast height] or so when we were switching them over to preseli in july 2009 in readiness for the imminent dso there.

• Advertisement

That doesn't bode well for the Louth/Meath/Dublin coast at all. People won't like it if their freeview regularly cuts as Kilkeel's analogue fluctuates at the best of times! Arfon also enjoyed an increase in coverage with DSO which Kilkeel will not get to the same degree. If only that ferguson combo box for €99 on satellite.ie could also auto-retune the satellite channels...

Dublin is more than likely out alright but louth should be fine with a unix 52 or something.
    Not sure of the power of forth mtn off hand but it's traveling 30 miles or so and I'll guess it's only 200 watts.
    The grids will be under pressure I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for that guys - very insightful - I think I'll go for the Freesat option and get a combo sat box rather than try using Saorview TV's while attempting to receive both Irish and UK terrestrial receptions over one cable.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Dublin is more than likely out alright but louth should be fine with a unix 52 or something.
    Not sure of the power of forth mtn off hand but it's traveling 30 miles or so and I'll guess it's only 200 watts.
    The grids will be under pressure I'd say.
    About 90% of the aerials used to pick up Kilkeel along the coast are grids:(

I'll check up what power RTE intended to use for Forth Mountain back when Boxer were interested.

Irish DTT reception will work with anything in Greystones, the only thing needed is an aerial for Arfon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

New horizontally polarised areal, aligned noticeably too far south for Arfon, on the Windgates hill about 1/2 way up on the left coming from greystones. Erected 2-3 weeks ago.

Does this mean blaenplwyf or preseli are available up this far??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

joceadaigh wrote: »
    New horizontally polarised areal, aligned noticeably too far south for Arfon, on the Windgates hill about 1/2 way up on the left coming from greystones. Erected 2-3 weeks ago.

Does this mean blaenplwyf or preseli are available up this far??

Did you try the doorbell? :)

sesswhat wrote: »

Did you try the doorbell? :)

No... That would mean waiting another hour for the next bus. Just thought someone here may know if there's been better cases from these two transmitters than the original few that didn't find it reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

Here is an aerial set up we've been testing for the last while near Kilmuckridge, Co Wexford. It has been working perfectly on ch 52 for Saorview from forth mt, also Ch 42, 43, 46 and 49 working very reliably.
    Ch 45 does not work due to mt Leinster causing interference but this was expected. The TV used was a 32" Samsung

DSC00783-1-1.jpg

It has a 5052 diplexer with a low gain mast head amp ( to guarantee a consistent signal )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Good News.

I picked up a Saorview Vision VST 8010 STB in Powercity.
    I normally get signal strength around 40% - 50% on the LG tv or Ferguson Combo for Forth and when combined with Freeview I would loose Forth.

With the Vision STB Forth was coming in at 90%-100%, so I combined the signal's with a white splitter at the back of the Vision stb.
    Slight change to the Saorview signal possible 1% and Freeview coming in loud and clear.

I wonder is it something to do with new software in the Saorview Vision STB ?

Its holding a couple of days perfect, will monitor reception to see how it holds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

aerial man wrote: »
    Here is an aerial set up we've been testing for the last while near Kilmuckridge, Co Wexford. It has been working perfectly on ch 52 for Saorview from forth mt, also Ch 42, 43, 46 and 49 working very reliably.
    Ch 45 does not work due to mt Leinster causing interference but this was expected . . . It has a 5052 diplexer with a low gain mast head amp ( to guarantee a consistent signal )

What about the Freeview HD mux on ch50? Does the 5052 diplexer kill it?

I wouldn't recommend this kind of setup to anyone with coverage from Mt. Leinster; just wait for the Saorview channel change at switchover which will have the added bonus of much easier combining with the Preseli signal.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What about the Freeview HD mux on ch50? Does the 5052 diplexer kill it?

I wouldn't recommend this kind of setup to anyone with coverage from Mt. Leinster; just wait for the Saorview channel change at switchover which will have the added bonus of much easier combining with the Preseli signal.

Yes, There was HD on it, only in good weather as this hasnt the same power as 43 etc i am editing this as i was checking today and a triax 5052 WILL allow ch 50 to work, there is a 5153, however this walks into a problem with 52 from forth!!

This was posted today by mrdtv2010 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056516278 which is a very useful post! Thanks again

I totally agree with Peter about waiting until the ASO in October for most people however we installed this in july 2011 and at the time there was no movement on ch45 on mt leinster, this was the best working solution at the time. It wont cost much to rearrange it. I found the photo today and just said id post it up here.

This set up is perfect for anyone near Wexford town, hoping to use forth mountain combined with preseli

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Good News.

I picked up a Saorview Vision VST 8010 STB in Powercity.
    I normally get signal strength around 40% - 50% on the LG tv or Ferguson Combo for Forth and when combined with Freeview I would loose Forth.

With the Vision STB Forth was coming in at 90%-100%, so I combined the signal's with a white splitter at the back of the Vision stb.
    Slight change to the Saorview signal possible 1% and Freeview coming in loud and clear.

I wonder is it something to do with new software in the Saorview Vision STB ?

Its holding a couple of days perfect, will monitor reception to see how it holds.

Im not sure, although i think it uses the Saorview as priority eg stores RTE1 on one etc. Ive noticed on older TVs running MPEG4 that rte wouldnt always be one one, that BBC1 is stored on one, as Preseli was stronger than Gorey at that location, then at other times, at low pressure (weaker BBC signal), RTE1 would get the hotspot!!

On most of all new saorview approved TV's, Saorview always starts off at 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

aerial man wrote: »
    This set up is perfect for anyone near Wexford town, hoping to use forth mountain combined with preseli

Yep, for anyone who has to use Forth, it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

After two weeks of perfection on Freeview and even Freeview HD the signal from Arfon seems to have become very erratic and mostly disappeared! Anyone else finding this? Is it dodgy weather on Welsh side or something over Irish sea?

newleaf wrote: »
    After two weeks of perfection on Freeview and even Freeview HD the signal from Arfon seems to have become very erratic and mostly disappeared! Anyone else finding this? Is it dodgy weather on Welsh side or something over Irish sea?

I'm afraid I can't really help with that, I've been having lots of trouble with arfon and now blame some big trees about 500meters aways for blocking my signal.

But today I've come up with a question and it may or may not be related to your problem.

How does frequency offsets interfere with neighbouring mux frequencies? For example Arfom BBCA is Ch41+ and and Presely SDN is on Ch42-, will these co-channel.

Today I've noticed something I haven't seen before, with grid aerial pointed at Three Rock and the others (high gain towards arfon) aerials disconnected the Freeview HD tuner has recognised signals at Ch42, 43, 45, 46 and 49, (not 50 though). Hasn't made a sound on Ch41, 44, or 47. How are weather conditions for signals travelling today, average, good or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I'm afraid I can't really help with that, I've been having lots of trouble with arfon and now blame some big trees about 500meters aways for blocking my signal.

But today I've come up with a question and it may or may not be related to your problem.

How does frequency offsets interfere with neighbouring mux frequencies? For example Arfom BBCA is Ch41+ and and Presely SDN is on Ch42-, will these co-channel.

Today I've noticed something I haven't seen before, with grid aerial pointed at Three Rock and the others (high gain towards arfon) aerials disconnected the Freeview HD tuner has recognised signals at Ch42, 43, 45, 46 and 49, (not 50 though). Hasn't made a sound on Ch41, 44, or 47. How are weather conditions for signals travelling today, average, good or bad.
    Presely does not follow the usual rules which is why it became such a head ache in the south east for those confined to mt leinsters ch 45.

Preseli signal goes ballistic ahead of an advancing weather front.
    I do not know the science of this.

As obviously our prevailing weather conditions mean a lot of advancing weather fronts,then this happens a lot.

As for arfon 41 versus presely 42,polarity is different so no issues.
    I've been able to pick up both actually during lift conditions despite being pointed to preseli .

@newleaf,that shouldn't be happening.You might need to check to see if nothings blown up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Thanks Blackius. My Panasonic TV says signal strength about 80% but signal quality nil! Can anyone diagnose from that? Don't know how reliably the TV measures quality/strength but it very high for both up to a few days ago when it nose dived to nothing! Came back briefly, then BYEE! If no improvement in a day or two more will investigate gear more thoroughly. Do masthead amps ever blow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Adjacent channel interference (ACI) is the potential problem but only if one of the signals is at a considerably higher level than the other.

The active part of the offset DVB-T mux is still contained within the 8 mHz bandwidth. DVB-T2 muxes using extended carrier mode do actually invade the adjacent channel when offset, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Adjacent channel interference (ACI) is the potential problem but only if one of the signals is at a considerably higher level than the other.

The active part of the offset DVB-T mux is still contained within the 8 mHz bandwidth. DVB-T2 muxes using extended carrier mode do actually invade the adjacent channel when offset, though.

Ofcom asked if there was any know problems with DVB-T2 extended and frequency offset and got no answers.

This graph is taken from the DVB-T2 standard, but the DVB-T spectrum is very much the same.

vN3c2bQ

The 8k mode will be about half way between the red and green lines.

Lars :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

newleaf wrote: »
    Thanks Blackius. My Panasonic TV says signal strength about 80% but signal quality nil! Can anyone diagnose from that? Don't know how reliably the TV measures quality/strength but it very high for both up to a few days ago when it nose dived to nothing! Came back briefly, then BYEE! If no improvement in a day or two more will investigate gear more thoroughly. Do masthead amps ever blow?

My LG tells me ch45 (co-channel Mt L and Presely) is about 78% sig but 0% quality. Depending on weather, I get Presely at 79-80% Sig, otherwise zip. it's that fine.

Advertisement