Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why Jurassic Park was ruined for me

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

posted this in palaeontology the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

YES! I was wondering what the funk that sound was. Thanks for the (justified) rant and the answer (posted above).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bizzarist complaint about a movie ever.

Advise OP to get treated for OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Amazing. I never noticed this before, now I'll never be able to forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm still waiting for the directors cut with extra dinosaurs that Jack was watching in that one episide of Father Ted...
    C'mon Speilberg, get your thumb out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Even with mistakes Jurassic Park is one of the best movies ever, won't hear anything bad said against it, watched it again today and the scene where the t-rex first breaks through the fence and steps out onto the road is still one of the best scenes of cinema, and I don't care how far CGI has come, it looks fricking real!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

If anything the OP's complaint makes the movie better!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

rather than the cable retracting I would guess its the sound of him pulling the cable out at speed as he falls

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I always just thought it was the sound of his feet slipping on the wet rocks, doesnt bother me a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

danniemcq wrote: »
    Just flicking through the channels there now and I see that my all time favourite movie from when I was but a wee lad was on. Jurrasic Park.

I was in awe watching it as a kid, here was my favourite creatures in front of me on the big screen, each lovingly recreated and they looked real (even today its impressive). I had everything to do with the movie, lunchboxes, toys etc. And all through my teens I loved it, it was a Christmas tradition almost. I bought the VHS and when i got a DVD player I bought the DVD. I hummed the music on a daily basis and still do, it would be my favourite movie of all time except for one thing.

Its that fcuking scene where NEdry is went off the road and needs a winch out. Every single time i see it i hope that maybe all the other times i've made it up. That it was all in my head that this time maybe... this time it won't happen but it does.

Nedry falls over and there is a sound.

A cartoon/slapstick sound of a wo wo woooo that is nearly whistled anytime someone falls over. it was just on TV3 there now and I heard it again and it ruins the movie for me, I can forgive little mistakes in dino names and general movie mistakes as unless you are really looking for them 99% of the time you don't notice and it doesn't ruin a movie. But this, THIS.. it beggers belief. I cringe at it, you can't ignore it.

And for that reason this movie would probably only just about make my top 10.

It sounds pety but its how it makes me feel. Doesw anyone else agree or am I taking it wayyyy to seriously?

Clever girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ah the sound never bothered me at all, but I still love Nedry's line -

"Im gonna run you over when I come back down"

He says it so . . . expectantly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

al28283 wrote: »
    When Nedry steals the embryo's from the cooling thing, some of the dino's names are spelt wrong

It's mad. They get two of the most famous dinosaurs, Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus wrong, but get the incredibly obscure Metriacanthosaurus perfect. Madness!
    al28283 wrote: »
    When do they mention a Brontosaur in Jurassic Park?
    The only time I can think of it is when Tim says it and then corrects himself, but thats just a kid getting the wrong dino.

I think there are Apatosaurus in the book. Its been ages since I read it, but I do think Grant at one point mentions that they are the same thing as Brontosaurus.
    Apatosaurus is definitely in The Lost world book. For some reason they replaced it with Mamenchisaurus in the film. My guess, because it was bloody massive!

Mamenchisaurus.jpg

Kersh wrote: »
    Ah the sound never bothered me at all, but I still love Nedry's line -

"Im gonna run you over when I come back down"

He says it so . . . expectantly :D

"ahhh no wonder you're extinct!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another example of a scene being coloured by what you know is the scene with the electric fence, since I know a bit about electricity.

If you're hanging on an electric fence, and you're not touching anything else, what happens when they turn it on? Nothing. You won't get shocked, and you won't get "blown off" it as the kid was. He would have been quite safe to stay there as long as he didn't touch anything else but the live fence. If he had tried to climb down, and touched the ground and the fence at the same time, he would have been toast. The safe thing to do in that situation is to jump off, getting well clear of the fence before you touch anything else.

edit: but see below for a deadly detail about that particular fence!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

^^ Good advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

bnt wrote: »
    Another example of a scene being coloured by what you know is the scene with the electric fence, since I know a bit about electricity.

If you're hanging on an electric fence, and you're not touching anything else, what happens when they turn it on? Nothing. You won't get shocked, and you won't get "blown off" it as the kid was. He would have been quite safe to stay there as long as he didn't touch anything else but the live fence. If he had tried to climb down, and touched the ground and the fence at the same time, he would have been toast. The safe thing to do in that situation is to jump off, getting well clear of the fence before you touch anything else.

dragging this even more off topic but question regarding these fences. If say the fence was

Live fence

earthed line

live

earth line

would that be possible? as i was thinking of this and if not that would have made the raptor fences useless as they would have had to jump to attack them, so if there was an earthed cable between the live ones even if the raptor was jumping and not touching the earth would they have been shocked by touching the live and earth?

if this is the way the raptor fences are set up would you not assume that they would have done it park wide?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

danniemcq wrote: »
    dragging this even more off topic but question regarding these fences. If say the fence was

Live fence

earthed line

live

earth line
    I think you have a point there, actually. Take a look at the (too big to embed) picture halfway down this page, and you can clearly see that they must be alternating live / earth lines. Half the lines have insulators, and half of them don't i.e. they're earthed to the fence posts. The earth lines are thinner, I must have missed them.

So: ouch! But the kid still would not have gone flying through the air: his fingers would have locked on the line, with no safe way to get him off quickly. eek.gif

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Maybe I'm being rose tinted in my defense of my favorite film, but was Tim not in the process of jumping off right as the fence turned on, hence the zap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This is still possibly my favourite film, but one thing that really bugged me as a kid was when they were in the tree watching the brachiosaurs.
    Grant asks Tim to tell him what species they are and Tim initially says "brontosaurus" before correcting himself and saying "brachiosaurus."

Now as a dino-loving ten-year old, I couldn't suspend disbelief enough to believe that a kid with an incredible knowledge of dinosaurs would (a) not recognise the distinctive brachiosaur and; (b) use the outdated term "brontosaurus" instead of "apatosaurus."

I was such a cool kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Galvasean wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being rose tinted in my defense of my favorite film, but was Tim not in the process of jumping off right as the fence turned on, hence the zap?

Funny thing about this scene that myself and the brother noticed was Grants countdown.

"I'm goin to count to twee, One, Two, Twee"

Cracks us up every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was watching this yesterday with my housemate and we noticed the sound alright, remember thinking it was a bit Benny Hill-esque!

Hadn't seen the film im years, another thing I cringed at were some of Jeff Goldblums ridiculous poses throughout the film

jeff%20goldblum.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

LOL OP

Yeah I remembered that sound once I saw the clips again, but had put it down to one of the little dinosaur noises.

I can't see how that noise would have any impact on the overall movie, however for the OP watching that movie so many times must feel like the following clip for that split second :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Never seen it, probably a bit too late to watch it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wouldn't be a Jurrasic Park thread without:

veXual wrote: »
    Funny thing about this scene that myself and the brother noticed was Grants countdown.

"I'm goin to count to twee, One, Two, Twee"

Cracks us up every time.

Timmy hates trees! :pac:

Its never too late to watch a good film :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aw man, it was in the cinemas again a couple of months ago. It still holds up extremely well, you should give it a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

so jealous- I wish I'd never seen if before again just so I could fall in love with it again :(

:eek:

rectify this immdiately!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved to palaeontology as per request.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Fun thread. I can´t believe the funny slipping sound ruined it for some people; what's so terrible about it? :D Besides, like someone said before, I think it's supossed to be the cable.

Nothing could really ruin Jurassic Park for me, but there were a few things I noticed that I did cringe a little bit about; Stegosaurus spelled "Stegasaurus" in the embryo containers, for example, or the fact that Triceratops (my favorite dino when I was around five and I saw the movie) was sick and barely even moved. (TLW kind of compensated for it by having the Trike destroy Ludlow's camp and throw a car in the air, although, they didn´t have to burn its belly XD)

The Lost World, however, (SPOILERS AHEAD) has plenty of things that I can imagine would ruin it for some fans... for example, Sarah Harding is supossed to be an expert wildlife zoologist, yet she endangers everyone around her wearing a jacket that's covered on a baby T-Rex's blood, even despite the fact that SHE was the one who kept reminding everyone that they were not supossed to be noticed by the animals, and even worst, even after she said T-Rex had the keenest sense of smell of any known dino (except for the turkey vulture).
    Even worst; Roland, who is supossed to be a first class big game hunter, realizes that Sarah is wearing a bloody jacket, and instead of saying something like "YOU IDIOT, TAKE THAT OFF IMMEDIATLY BEFORE YOU GET US ALL KILLED!", he simply nods and walks away!
    I mean what is wrong with these people? :D In fact, Ian Malcolm seems to be the only intelligent person in the entire movie, which barely matters anyways because no one will listen to him.

And then there was that scene when Kelly kicked that raptor and the poor thing gets impaled in a rusty spike-nail-thing or whatever. I hated Kelly because of it, and I would always look away during that scene (I was nine, ok?). It didn´t ruin the movie for me, though; the T-Rex rampage in San Diego made up for it (as did the pterosaur at the end; best ending shot ever).

Advertisement